Author Topic: Trackpoints  (Read 7022 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Trackpoints
« on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 06:35:14 »
Any trackpoint fans on here? I prefer to use trackpoints as laptop pointing devices, but they've been getting a bit harder to find as of recent years.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline remdell

Re: Trackpoints
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 17:37:46 »
I also prefer laptops with trackpoints.  I use a Thinkpad x201 for taking notes and working away from home.  I can reach and click items on my laptop much faster using its trackpoint than using any other laptops' mousepad.  I found myself taking much more time dragging my finger across a mousepad than I do just applyING more pressure against a trackpoint.  I also like how I don't have to move my fingers away from the keyboard to move my cursor.  I also have an older Thinkpad x61 tablet for illustrative work, but that's besides the point.

I agree that finding decent trackpoints is quite hard... My university's library lets us rent out laptops.  We have a choice between unibody and non-unibody Macbooks (unibodies are always taken) and Dell Lattitude E6320s.  I've used trackpoints on older Dell Latitudes, which were okay... but these new Dell Latitudes have HORRIBLE trackpoints and trackpoint buttons.  When you use its trackpoint buttons, the button goes below the surface of the palm rest.  My thumbnail or the tip of my thumb often got stuck.  The new Thinkpad's have non-physical trackpoint buttons, so I obviously my thumbs won't get stuck, but just having non-physical trackpoint buttons is just a disappointment to those who like physical feedback.
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 18:10:46 »
trackpoint isn't actually that comfortable for long term use.

But it's been coveted as the most worthy feature to add to current keyboards, because it's good for quick short txt edits.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 08:39:45 »
A trackpoint, properly implemented, is awesome as a secondary pointing device. It's not a replacement for a mouse, but for tasks involving rapid switching between typing and mouse movement, it's hard to beat.

Of course, the "properly implemented" proviso really applies to all pointing devices. There are some truly woeful trackpoints out there, but also some truly woeful touchpads, trackballs, mice, etc.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline wendell

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 21:56:13 »
Yes, since getting my first laptop, I have chosen Thinkpads for having the best keyboards and having trackpoints. I have often wished I could get a standalone trackpoint unit so I could mouse without a flat surface.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 07:12:08 »
for working keyboards I must have a Trackpoint:
33110-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 08:03:36 »
I played World of Warcraft with the trackpoint on my old laptop for over a year. Got pretty adept at it, good times.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 19:13:07 »
I do a lot of Sim City 2000 on a trackpoint. Seems to work pretty well too.

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a trackpoint on a desktop PC?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline cdmccart

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 10:26:29 »
hahaha @ the novelty account.

I also have a thinkpad x201 and I love that machine.

it's my favorite laptop of all time.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 10:33:58 »
I love the trackpoint on my thinkpads... Especially for lessons where you have not much space. But at home I prefer my logitech mouse.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 10:48:16 »

MSW is not a novelty account. think that one over for a minute. take ten if you need to.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:13:23 »

MSW is not a novelty account. think that one over for a minute. take ten if you need to.

(Attachment Link)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 02:48:38 »
I've always sucked at the trackpoint on my T500.  And every time I think about the mouse, I think of the XKCD:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 12:01:57 »
for working keyboards I must have a Trackpoint:
(Attachment Link)

NOW THAT'S COOL! DID THAT KEYBOARD COME WITH THE TRACKPOINT?

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 09:45:05 »
no, I make a hole in the PCB from the Tipro. The trackpoint comes from a IBM KPD8923. Using the 2 MX bottom left for Mousebutton.

Here is another Tipro:
33595-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 August 2013, 09:47:54 by CeeSA »

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 02:03:23 »
I have been using IBM Thinkpads for almost 15 years and love the Trackpoint very much. Can't live without it so much so that I also bought a USB Thinkpad traveller keyboard for the home PC. But since it is rubber dome, I'm not getting much satisfaction out of it and went back to my old mechanical keyboard. I'm eyeing the Unicomp Space Saver or the one with the TrackPoint. I think that would be a dream keyboard were it not for it's ugly decals on the Numlock or Capslock indicator. How I wish someone would fix that!

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 03:53:59 »
Trackpoints are my all time favorite integrated pointing devices.  I, too, own an X-series thinkpad and love the trackpoint...wish they still made thinkpads sans touchpad.

I used to be a big M4-1 hoarder, but I am better now.  (the buckling rubber sleeves aren't bad to type on)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:39:47 »
I ALWAYS LIKED THOSE THINKPAD X SERIES LAPTOPS. JUST USED ONE THE OTHER DAY. ONCE THEY GET OLD AND CHEAP ENOUGH I MIGHT END UP ADDING A FEW TO MY PERSONAL FLEET.