Author Topic: Tex Beetle -- First Impressions  (Read 7789 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Tex Beetle -- First Impressions
« on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 16:07:42 »
After much dithering over various 60% keyboards, I narrowed the field to the Tex Beetle and the Poker II, but I could not decide between the two. Therefore, I dipped into my life's savings, risked raising further ire from my wife concerning my new expensive habit, and bought both of them so that I could compare them directly for myself. The boards arrived a few minutes ago (speedy delivery via FedEx from MK.com!), and I thought I would  share my first impressions, starting with the Tex Beetle. I will summarize my impressions of the Poker II in a separate post.

Unboxing

The Tex Beetle comes in a beautiful big box adorned on the front with a close-up photo of the board. The back of the box has diagrams of some of the major features of the board. Inside, the top of the board is protected by a piece of foam glued to the top lid of the box. The keyboard rests in a form-fitting polystyrene cradle. Upon lifting the board out of the protective polystyrene, one is greeted with some Tex humor: covering the detachable USB cable (with a right-angled connector to the keyboard) is a cardboard insert that says, "Screw Up", but the slogan is a mirror image rather than straight script. This appealed to my interest in chirality.

There was no manual, but there is a sticker fixed to the back of the keyboard showing a diagram of the electronic DIP switches, which are accessed via L1-L5 = Fn+QWERT keys. Tex has also made the manual available online as a PDF file.

Keyboard Revealed

The Beetle is beautiful. With its tasteful white-on-black keycaps and brushed aluminum faceplate, the overall design is extremely appealing. Unlike many stock boards that immediately invite swaddling them in a new case and replacing the keycaps, the Beetle looks just fine as it is. That said, given that the keycaps are laser-etched ABS, I might eventually wish to replace them with double-shot ABS or dye sub thick PBT, but first I need to learn the Fn layer. Moreover, replacing the keycaps will be more problematic on the Beetle than the Poker II, because the Beetle has dedicated arrow keys, necessitating reducing the size of several keys in the lower right-hand corner of the board.

Lifting the Beetle out of the box, one appreciates the heft and solidity of the board, owing to its steel backplate and brushed aluminum faceplate (weight stated on the back of the box = 760 grams; weight measured by my balance  = 722 grams; I do not have an explanation for the discrepancy -- I calibrated my balance, and it is accurate to +/- 1 gram). The bottom of the case is plastic, which was a bit of a disappointment, but I suppose an all-aluminum case would have put the price point a bit too high to get the Beetle into the hands of as many enthusiasts as possible. The bottom of the case has four small rubber buttons for traction on the desk as well as two extensible plastic feet. The case sits squarely and firmly on the desk with or without the feet extended. The feet feel a bit cheap and they are not rubberized, so that the board can slide when pushed on a smooth surface, but I did not notice any slippage while typing.

Typing Experience

My Beetle came with Cherry blue switches. The feel of the switches was agreeably heavier and tighter yet smoother than with other Cherry switch boards I have tried, including the Filco MJ2 TKL and Leopold FC660M. In addition, the key presses felt and sounded uniform across the board. The sound is great. I am accustomed to bottoming out, and the Beetle rewards this aggression with a solid "thonk" on every keystroke. The short spacebar presents no problems at all when typing, and it has a better sound and feel than any spacebar I have ever encountered.

The Beetle has a dedicated inverted-T arrow cluster in the lower right-hand corner of the board. I welcome this, as I am accustomed to having arrow keys. However the convenience of dedicated arrow keys comes at a price. In particular, the right shift key on this board has been reduced to a paltry 1.0x -- the same size as a regular letter key. I did not realize this before, but it seems that I use the right-shift almost exclusively, and I am apparently accustomed to a generously sized shift key. Consequently, I find myself hitting the "/" or "up arrow" when I am trying to strike the right shift key. No doubt I could eventually adapt to this, but for now, I must consciously think every time I need the right shift key. However, any shortcomings attributed to the tiny right shift key are more than offset by the full-size backspace key, which I use liberally.

The Beetle has a slightly displaced staggering in the Z row and a smaller than usual spacebar; however, I had no problems at all with either of these non-standard aspects of the layout.

Other Considerations

I use Mac, Linux, and Windows computers, with Mac OS X as my primary OS. The Beetle required a few trys before it was recognized by the Mac, but once it was, there were no problems using it across all my computers using either a hardware KM or a software KM (Synergy). As with my other keyboards, I have remapped the Caps Lock key as the Command key on the Mac, which translates to the Windows key in Windows or the Meta key in Linux. The Beetle also has a relatively intuitive Fn layer accessible by the Fn keys on each side of the spacebar.

Overall

The Tex Beetle is a beautiful, highly functional, and elegantly designed keyboard. It works well in my multi-OS environment, and its appearance complements the other components of my desktop. Moreover, this keyboard feels solid. In fact, it has a tighter and sturdier feel than my IBM Model M, perhaps because of the complete lack of rattles that tend to plague the much larger keyboard.

Because of its compact design, people will be tempted to categorize the Beetle as a "travel" keyboard, but despite its portability I believe it could easily substitute as a main keyboard. The Beetle is certainly the best-looking keyboard I have ever owned, and if I can grow accustomed to the layout and Fn layer, it could easily become my daily driver.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 August 2013, 09:53:34 by rjrich »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Tex Beetle -- First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 16:18:47 »
Nice review. You really think the full backspace would negate the tiny right shift? And you should put this in the reviews subforum.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 18:32:57 »
Thanks for the write up.  It was a good read. :)

Offline Aranair

• Software Engineer @ PocketMath
    • Tech blog
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 18:46:28 »
Nice review. Hoping it will help one of my colleagues in deciding between a tex and fc660m;)

Present  : HHKB Pro 2 Type-S White | HHKB Pro 2 White Blank | Ergodox EZ
Past      :  Poker 2 Brown | Black Widow Ultimate Blue | Filco TKL Brown

Offline tribade

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 20:34:58 »
weight please.....

Most of us don't have a scale for that  :)) :))

And besides, does the weight really matter for the majority of this community?  Shouldn't you be preaching the cult of ergodox somewhere?
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 21:11:06 »
Thank you for writing this review--it was a great read.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 22:01:21 »
weight please.....

And besides, does the weight really matter for the majority of this community?  Shouldn't you be preaching the cult of ergodox somewhere?

oh thx for reminding me..

yes, this keyboard is inferior to the Edx in everyway.  no amount of solid aluminum will make up for the inadequate ergonomic design.

The trappings of yesteryear technology hinged only on form while degrading function.

These staggered layout boards have been consistently destroying people's wrists.

You owe it to yourself as a GH member to forbid evil and join the circle of holy light that emanates from the almighty EDx

Offline tribade

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 23:14:06 »
weight please.....

oh thx for reminding me..

yes, this keyboard is inferior to the Edx in everyway.  no amount of solid aluminum will make up for the inadequate ergonomic design.

The trappings of yesteryear technology hinged only on form while degrading function.

These staggered layout boards have been consistently destroying people's wrists.

You owe it to yourself as a GH member to forbid evil and join the circle of holy light that emanates from the almighty EDx

Phew I thought you had gone senile there for a second!
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 06:43:05 »
post pics
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 10:00:26 »
Nice review. You really think the full backspace would negate the tiny right shift? And you should put this in the reviews subforum.

Thanks. I am grateful for the full-size backspace. It is difficult to say if the advantage of this negates the disadvantage of the small right shift, but some mini keyboards, such as the Pure Pro ANSI keyboard, have both a small right shift and a small backspace, which would be double jeopardy for me!

Thanks for pointing out that I should have put this post into the reviews section. Now that I have already posted in the main keyboards section, will a moderator move the post if he thinks it is in the wrong place?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 10:06:14 »
weight please.....

Thanks for asking about the weight. I have edited the post and inserted the weight data. As noted, it is stated to be 760 grams on the back of the box. However, according to my own balance, it is 722 grams. I cannot account for the discrepancy. I calibrated my balance, and it is accurate to within 1 gram.

In comparison, using the same balance, the Poker II weighs 582 grams. Because both the Poker II and the Beetle have steel backplates, assuming these weigh about the same, the difference in weight between the Poker II and the Beetle is probably mainly due to the aluminum faceplate on the Beetle.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 10:12:06 »
post pics

Thanks for the pics request; it is a good suggestion. I didn't post pics initially because I did not have my camera with me at the time I wrote the review and there are already good pics of the Beetle and Poker II on the Forums and various other web sites. However, when I get my camera, if I can get some images that might add something to those that have already been posted, I will add them.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 20:45:17 »
I was curious as to what it looked like, so I googled it.....I must say, it's a nice looking little KB. Before this, I've never heard of TEX, but that ain't surprising as I pretty new at this. What ticks me off about mechanical KB's in my neck of the woods is this, that there are a limited number of brands, and usually the more well known ones like Ducky, DAS, Mionix, Tesoro, Razer (yuck!), Corsair.....nothing like this or the HPE TKL ones. Anyway, thanks for the very informative review......
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 August 2013, 20:49:12 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 10:50:12 »
I was curious as to what it looked like, so I googled it.....I must say, it's a nice looking little KB. Before this, I've never heard of TEX, but that ain't surprising as I pretty new at this. What ticks me off about mechanical KB's in my neck of the woods is this, that there are a limited number of brands, and usually the more well known ones like Ducky, DAS, Mionix, Tesoro, Razer (yuck!), Corsair.....nothing like this or the HPE TKL ones. Anyway, thanks for the very informative review......

Yes, I find that the Tex Beetle is so good looking right out the box that I do not feel an immediate need to find a case for it or to replace the keycaps.

Tex, or Tex-Design, is a new electronics company based in Taiwan whose first product is the Tex Beetle keyboard.

http://www.tex-design.com.tw

My understanding is that its founder and chief designer was formerly with companies that have produced other favorite keyboards, such as the Poker and Poker II, and that he also designed these keyboards. Tex-Design is a very small operation, and they appear to be focused on building high-quality products.

As an aside, I am not sure how "Tex" should be pronounced, but in my own mind, I pronounce it "Tech", like the typesetting system, TeX. This keeps it separated from "Tex", as in someone or something from Texas. Otherwise, a Tex beetle sounds like an insect from the lone star state. Perhaps this potential confusion is part of the charm of this keyboard; in any case, I like the name!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 11:10:34 »
The designer is a member here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39693.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42172.msg846535#msg846535

It also appears that Rosewill's upcoming compact keyboard uses this exact design.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 11:31:48 »
The designer is a member here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39693.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42172.msg846535#msg846535

It also appears that Rosewill's upcoming compact keyboard uses this exact design.

Any link to Rosewill's upcoming compact? Dont see it on the site.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 11:34:27 »
Here.  It's a rebranded (or rather unbranded) TEX Beetle.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 11:51:14 »
I believe newegg has also announced plans for their own version as well.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 11:52:53 »
Rosewill is NewEgg's "home brand" (that just slaps its brand on products made by others and sells them for less).  I don't mean this in a quality-diminishing way--only that some people are not aware that most if not all of Rosewill's products are rebranded versions of other companies products.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 12:10:22 »
Yep, the forthcoming Rosewill/Newegg mini keyboard is indeed the Tex Beetle.

In addition, QWERkeys in the UK will be offering the Beetle. An announcement and review may be found here:

http://www.play3r.net/reviews/qwerkeyboard-tex-beetle-mechanical-keyboard-review/

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 17:02:51 »
I'm an idiot. For some reason I was thinking the qwerkeys version when the rosewill version was mentioned. :)

Offline wendell

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 12:49:40 »
You have three sturdy boards with ABS keys, the Tex Beetle, Filco Majestouch-2 TKL, and Leopold FC660M.

How they compare in the clackiness of the keys, especially the spacebar?

I think I'm down to a choice between these.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 14:11:33 »
You have three sturdy boards with ABS keys, the Tex Beetle, Filco Majestouch-2 TKL, and Leopold FC660M.

How they compare in the clackiness of the keys, especially the spacebar?

I think I'm down to a choice between these.

By way of introduction, all three of these keyboards were equipped with Cherry blue switches. The stock keycaps were ABS on the Beetle and Filco, and PBT on the Leopold.

The Beetle has ABS keys, but they feel good to me. I tend to bottom out with each keystroke, and perhaps because of the size and materials of the case, the Beetle keys sound the best to me -- a satisfying "thock", although sharper or higher-pitched than the audio clips I have heard of boards with Topre switches. I like the look of the keycaps on the Beetle, and I will probably keep the stock keycaps on it, at least for a while. Because I like the look of the Beetle so much right out of the box, I do not feel an immediate need to replace the keycaps. Accordingly, the Beetle has turned out to be my least expensive keyboard.

The stock ABS keycaps on my Filco were the "ninja" style. I liked the look, feel, and sound, but I wanted greater legibility of the legends, so I replaced the stock keycaps with the beige and white set with blue legends from Originative. These are doubleshot ABS and they give a somewhat deeper sound when bottoming out than the stock keycaps did. However, I do not like the feel of the caps as much as PBT keycaps I have tried.

The Leopold FC660M comes with laser-etched PBT keycaps. I liked the feel of them, and as I recall, I liked the sound -- the board feels and sounds very solid. However, I did not quite like the profile of the stock keycaps and the legibility of the yellowish gold legends on the dark brown keycaps was too poor for my taste. So, I replaced the stock keycaps using gray and white dye-sub PBT Cyrillic sets from Originative. I like the profile and feel of the new PBT keycaps, and the keys make a satisfying sound when bottoming out, which I almost always do. However, I cannot easily reproduce the original sound because I installed 40A-L (red) O-rings on all the keys. Now I find the Leo quiet enough for taking notes during conference calls.

As for the spacebars on each keyboard, it is a close call, but I would rank them as follows: (1) Tex Beetle (stock spacebar); (2) Leopold FC660M (stock spacebar); (3) Filco MJ2 TKL (new spacebar from the Originative set). Keep in mind that the Beetle and the Leopold use Cherry stabilizers, whereas the Filco uses Costar stabilizers. The Beetle spacebar is also shorter than the spacebars on the other two keyboards, which I think makes for greater stability and less rattle from the stabilizer.

These are all great keyboards, but they are very different from each other. The Filco has a completely standard layout, which facilitates keycap replacements and does not require learning different key positions or sizes. The Leo is a sub-TKL board with a nearly standard layout, but the F-key row and some navigation keys are in the Fn layer. The Beetle is a 60% board with dedicated arrow keys, necessitating the resizing and/or repositioning of some keys as well as placing others in the Fn layer. I like all of them, but I found that some adjustment was needed to use the Leo and a bit more adjustment was needed for the Beetle. You have to decide which features are important to you and choose accordingly.