Author Topic: Intel 530 Series SSD  (Read 5569 times)

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
Intel 530 Series SSD
« on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:19:46 »
Anyone else getting on the new Intel 530 Series SSD?

INTEL
NEWEGG

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Intel 530 Series SSD
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:23:44 »
It seems with intel sometimes a wait and see approach is better.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:55:18 »
I'd go for the new Samsung 840 Evo if I were currently looking for an SSD.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 11:24:45 »

I still think 830 is a better buy on sale.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 23:47:11 »
it looks like they focused on the msata and M.2 form factors for this revision. other than the very large fusionIO style array models, the new 20nm chips will have slightly less endurance, even with binning, than the 25nm chips in the 520 series, and the new firmware and new 2281 die revision (_possibly, all we know is that the silkscreening is a different p/n_) seem to focus on power per IOP

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:07:31 »

I still think 830 is a better buy on sale.

no it's not.

the 830 has higher write durability but given to someone who's not running a data server, the drive speed is obsolete before the drive actually croaks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:08:58 »
it looks like they focused on the msata and M.2 form factors for this revision. other than the very large fusionIO style array models, the new 20nm chips will have slightly less endurance, even with binning, than the 25nm chips in the 520 series, and the new firmware and new 2281 die revision (_possibly, all we know is that the silkscreening is a different p/n_) seem to focus on power per IOP

none of that matters, this wasn't ment to go in a server.

This goes into a mom/pop machine that does facebook, youtube, and email.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:13:31 »

Do yo know if they use a firmware that use compression or not?

I know that their 900 series (whatever the exact number) does not use compression which is nice if you deal with hard to compress data or data that you compress yourself.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:21:48 »
first of all it does matter, because this model obsoletes the 520 series and hence will end up in enterprise DCs and workstations. the 335 equivalents (with lower binned chips) are the ones that will end up in ultrabooks. hence, the fact that they believe that power to performance is a more important global design goal is an interesting and important development. power IS important in DC distributed applications, but IOPs are more important in monolithic DC applications. the fact that they have globally targeted what look like distributed applications for their enterprise line is quite interesting. it may be a strategic engineering choice or it may be due to the specific yields and characteristics of their 20nm flash dies. if it's the latter, that's extremely interesting information.

also i mention fusionIO because fusionIO is currently dominating the monolithic server applications market, even though they are fabless. it's possible that intel simply looked at their core competency (their fabs) and decided their best opportunity was optimizing everything for power per IOP and to mostly cede the monolithic market to fusionIO (for full units anyway -- i believe the intel/micron 20nm chips can be purchased by OEMs, and the controller, at its base, is just an SF2281 die with some bug fixes).

eta: the lossless compression algorithm (basic huffman blah blah) is implemented at the hardware level in the sandforce controllers (all of them). the basic idea is that they increase bandwidth by making an assumption that most data is compressible (this is often safe to assume in distributed enterprise sitations) and then compressing as they write data and decompressing as they read. because the limiting factor is latency of an actual write op to the chip, you gain severa
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:26:25 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:58:43 »
first of all it does matter, because this model obsoletes the 520 series and hence will end up in enterprise DCs and workstations. the 335 equivalents (with lower binned chips) are the ones that will end up in ultrabooks. hence, the fact that they believe that power to performance is a more important global design goal is an interesting and important development. power IS important in DC distributed applications, but IOPs are more important in monolithic DC applications. the fact that they have globally targeted what look like distributed applications for their enterprise line is quite interesting. it may be a strategic engineering choice or it may be due to the specific yields and characteristics of their 20nm flash dies. if it's the latter, that's extremely interesting information.

also i mention fusionIO because fusionIO is currently dominating the monolithic server applications market, even though they are fabless. it's possible that intel simply looked at their core competency (their fabs) and decided their best opportunity was optimizing everything for power per IOP and to mostly cede the monolithic market to fusionIO (for full units anyway -- i believe the intel/micron 20nm chips can be purchased by OEMs, and the controller, at its base, is just an SF2281 die with some bug fixes).

eta: the lossless compression algorithm (basic huffman blah blah) is implemented at the hardware level in the sandforce controllers (all of them). the basic idea is that they increase bandwidth by making an assumption that most data is compressible (this is often safe to assume in distributed enterprise sitations) and then compressing as they write data and decompressing as they read. because the limiting factor is latency of an actual write op to the chip, you gain severa

what are you talking about

"The Intel SSD 530 Series is specially targeted toward consumer Ultrabooks™ and notebooks, All-in-One (AIO) desktops, next unit of computing (NUC), and embedded designs. "  quote- Intel

This is not enterprise targeted AT ALL... you would not use this unless you're super broke, or in a mom/pop-puter

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:14:20 »
well i'll be damned, you're right. those ****ers went off and released a true enterprise lineup while i wasn't paying attention. the 530 series is now just the higher endurance consumer drive, period.

SUDDENLY the use of the sandforce controllers starting in the 520/330 series makes sense. their controller crew is working on the actual enterprise drives. for the volume stuff they want a proven die and another vendor. they can fab the die for those fellows in exchange for access to the internals. BAM

intel not being quite so stupid for once.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/news/2013-07/intel_ssd_roadmap.png
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:16:55 by mkawa »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 18:11:04 »
well i'll be damned, you're right. those ****ers went off and released a true enterprise lineup while i wasn't paying attention. the 530 series is now just the higher endurance consumer drive, period.

SUDDENLY the use of the sandforce controllers starting in the 520/330 series makes sense. their controller crew is working on the actual enterprise drives. for the volume stuff they want a proven die and another vendor. they can fab the die for those fellows in exchange for access to the internals. BAM

intel not being quite so stupid for once.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/news/2013-07/intel_ssd_roadmap.png

Less important is the fact that I am right.. As I am ALWAYS right.

More important is looking into why you're nearly always wrong. ;)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 19:46:03 »
How's the reliability on the 840 EVO? Considering picking up the 750gb sometime down the line.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 20:15:03 »
i'm running two of the 840s in a high write cache configuration and so far no issues. long term and batch reliability, i have no idea. at this point the best reliability data for all the drives and mofules is all proprietary.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 22:01:28 »
I think the most 2 important factors of an SSD drive are :
- type of NAND chip (MLC vs SLC)
- MTBF (Mean time between failures)

The next 2 important factors could be :
- Firmware
- Controller

I think in most of the cases for normal usages, Intel 520 and Samsung 840 Pro can get the jobs done.

For 840 EVO, please note that they use 2.0 NAND, they are cheaper and lower quality than 840 Pro.
So my recommendation is 840 Pro / Intel 520 instead of 840 EVO / Intel 530.
 :)
I like linear switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 01:05:39 »
I think the most 2 important factors of an SSD drive are :
- type of NAND chip (MLC vs SLC)
- MTBF (Mean time between failures)

The next 2 important factors could be :
- Firmware
- Controller

I think in most of the cases for normal usages, Intel 520 and Samsung 840 Pro can get the jobs done.

For 840 EVO, please note that they use 2.0 NAND, they are cheaper and lower quality than 840 Pro.
So my recommendation is 840 Pro / Intel 520 instead of 840 EVO / Intel 530.
 :)

No.  You are epic wrong.  Anandtech did an article a while back on SSD purchase relative to USAGE... 

Key takeaway:

Outside of Enterprise data centers, at HOME you will NOT wear out an SSD before the SPEED of that SSD becomes Obsolete..... Can't stress this enough.  :thumb:

If you actually HAVE the read/write rates of a Data server,  Get the pro/ 520. 

If you just play some games, browse the web, ANY ssd with ANY advertised endurance is sufficient.

Now when it comes to controllers/ firmware..  If it's not sandforce, you're OK... I've had several dead ocz vertexes due to firmware bugs that were unrecoverable..  now it could just be OCZ, but...... still, ffff sandforce >:D and ffff OCZ

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 01:32:03 »
Yes, you are right about the point 'NOT wear out an SSD before the SPEED of that SSD becomes Obsolete.' and perhaps I'm little bit paranoid.  ;D
But by taking a look at the comparison of endurance test, we never know when our hard-disks fail:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand
Estimated Results:
MLC NAND: 272 TB  (e.g. 840 Pro)
TLC NAND: 95 TB (e.g. 840 EVO)

It indicates something about the differences between type of NAND. I think we should be careful when our Samsung 840 EVO accumulated to 95 TB write access. That does not count the fact that our OSes partition today make a lot of unnecessary write for journal (NTFS 5, ext4 ...). That will contribute to the decrease of our SSD lifespan.
I like linear switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 05:40:32 »
Yes, you are right about the point 'NOT wear out an SSD before the SPEED of that SSD becomes Obsolete.' and perhaps I'm little bit paranoid.  ;D
But by taking a look at the comparison of endurance test, we never know when our hard-disks fail:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand
Estimated Results:
MLC NAND: 272 TB  (e.g. 840 Pro)
TLC NAND: 95 TB (e.g. 840 EVO)

It indicates something about the differences between type of NAND. I think we should be careful when our Samsung 840 EVO accumulated to 95 TB write access. That does not count the fact that our OSes partition today make a lot of unnecessary write for journal (NTFS 5, ext4 ...). That will contribute to the decrease of our SSD lifespan.

95 TB

a 50gb bluray.  written to your drive once every day for 5.2 years is 95TB.

note 5.2 YEARS,  it's not paranoia,  if a person does not run a data server, and he buys a HIGH durability ssd,  He is being sold on a HYPE.