Author Topic: Quickfire XT vs Quickfire Ultimate?  (Read 17900 times)

Offline instantwin

Quickfire XT vs Quickfire Ultimate?
« on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 05:48:21 »
I was thinking about getting a new keyboard and I narrowed it down to these two. Which should I go with?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX46998

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47114

I'm currently leaning towards the Quickfire Ultimate but I don't know. I was also wondering why the prices of the two keyboards were the same ($100 before the deal) even though the Ultimate looks like it has more features like backlighting?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Quickfire XT vs Quickfire Ultimate?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 06:20:54 »
It all depends on what you plan to use the board for and also what features you need. Do you like the switch selection? Do you like the back lighting color?

These two boards are aimed at different markets.

Also what is your budget and/or how much do you want to spend?

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 06:55:28 »
Backlight DOES NOT means "Better keyboard". It means:

- Harder to modify and repair switches
- Ultra-low quality keycaps
- Non-standard modifiers, making it hard as hell to find keycap replacements (on most cases)
- ****ty stabilizers (on most cases)

While the Quickfire Ultimate "looks" nicer, the XT is far better on the "quality" department, due to its better components and better OEM (Costar).

If it were me, I'd get the XT without even looking back. Hell, none of my backlit keyboards even come close to how good typing on a non-backlit high quality keyboard such as the Das Keyboard Professional Silent (COSTAR Model) and surely the XT must be just as good or better.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 06:59:44 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline instantwin

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 07:02:43 »
It all depends on what you plan to use the board for and also what features you need. Do you like the switch selection? Do you like the back lighting color?

I'm looking for a full size keyboard with cherry mx blue switches. No extra features needed as long as it's cheap and I prefer to shop at Memory Express since there is one close to where I live.

- Non-standard modifiers, making it hard as hell to find keycap replacements (on most cases)

While the Quickfire Ultimate "looks" nicer, the XT is far better on the "quality" department, due to its better components and better OEM (Costar).

If it were me, I'd get the XT without even looking back. Hell, none of my backlit keyboards even come close to how good typing on a non-backlit high quality keyboard such as the Das Keyboard Professional Silent (COSTAR Model) and surely the XT must be just as good or better.

Thanks. So which should I go with? The Ultimate for $80 or XT for $100?
edit:nvm didnt see your edit
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 07:05:23 by instantwin »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 07:15:40 »
My opinion:

Why is the Ultimate only $80 and the XT $100?

Don't you think something with backlighting should cost more? After all, they had to put in diodes and put in extra traces.

The reality is that backlit keyboards that are of good quality are very expensive. EG Deck. As a Deck owner, I can tell you that you get what you pay for.

When you are paying less than half the price of a Deck, the keyboard will be of significantly poorer quality.

I've used backlit keyboards before myself and all their keycaps (except Deck's) suck. The XT comes much closer to the Filco in terms of quality.

I'm looking for a full size keyboard with cherry mx blue switches. No extra features needed as long as it's cheap and I prefer to shop at Memory Express since there is one close to where I live.

Thanks. So which should I go with? The Ultimate for $80 or XT for $100?
edit:nvm didnt see your edit
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:31:14 »
Yeah the QuickFire XT is made by Costar, and QuickFire Ultimate is made by iOne.

Generally at geekhack it is widely believed that QuickFire XT will have better quality, and QuickFire Ultimate has backlight but also have non-standard sizing on keycaps.

So if you just want a solid good quality keyboard, go for QuickFire XT.  If you must have backlit and doesn't care about switching keycap in the future then go for QuickFire Ultimate.

If I were you I'd buy the QuickFire XT.

Hope this helps.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline gunbuster363

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 22:46:54 »
Wow, I didn't know that XT is better than Ultimate!
Last time I saw it Ultimate is cheaper than XT and I thought it is a promotion.

Luckily they don't have Ultimate with red switches in stock so I bought XT.

Offline mv_LaiN

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 23:00:25 »
i see..
looking for cheap/used 60% boards! <3

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 23:06:43 »
i see..

Just an fyi, most of your hollow, pointless, new posts won't help you get to 60 to post in the wtb forum

Offline Emospence

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 01:26:37 »
I'd definitely go for the XT!
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 09:53:26 »
i see..

Just an fyi, most of your hollow, pointless, new posts won't help you get to 60 to post in the wtb forum

tj don't ruin all their fun.....it's like when your a kid and learn the hard way that peeing on an electric fence isn't recommended

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 09:57:59 »
i see..

tj don't ruin all their fun.....it's like when your a kid and learn the hard way that peeing on an electric fence isn't recommended

where are you people finding these electric fences to pee on..  I've never come across one..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 10:06:35 »
i see..

where are you people finding these electric fences to pee on..  I've never come across one..

rural american, we have cows yo!

Offline oryan_dunn

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 12:57:44 »
Or wait for the backlit XT, the XTS....

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:37:36 »
Have they confirmed they are still doing a backlit xt? It seems like the qfu is the replacement for it. I don't see a backlit xt selling very well vs the qfu and the xt. It will be more expensive than both of them and appeal to a smaller market.

Offline oryan_dunn

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:47:34 »
Have they confirmed they are still doing a backlit xt? It seems like the qfu is the replacement for it. I don't see a backlit xt selling very well vs the qfu and the xt. It will be more expensive than both of them and appeal to a smaller market.

Well, they said they were, and I haven't seen them confirm that they are not.

I hope they move forward, as I really would like an MX Green backlit XT.  I really like my QF Pro, so if they did make an Ultimate with MX Green and green backlit, that'd work for me as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 August 2013, 16:07:31 by oryan_dunn »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:48:40 »
i see..

rural american, we have cows yo!

where u at