Author Topic: Your thoughts on Protein Powder  (Read 14348 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Your thoughts on Protein Powder
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 18:37:32 »
As a premed student who finished his bio series, whey protein is essentially worthless when digested, but hypothetically if you drink it, it might work but a balanced diet is the best way to go honestly

Hi, meiosis, Could you give some details as to how you've arrived at your conclusion?

Show Image

Well essentially whey protein is there to supplement for an unbalanced diet where you might have deficiencies. They body cannot process the amount of whey intake normally especially if you eat a balanced diet where you get your protein from meat. So the whey protein you drink actually just comes out your butt since it isn't processed into your muscle if you can't use it fast enough. I recall there was a study where they protein couldn't even be used up as long as you had like a chicken breast a day o-o. It's probably the placebo effect where if someone drinks they whey protein it's usually correlated with them working out as well, and from there that's already a better habit.

I think liquid whey protein works though, I think ON sells something like that :P. Liquids are processed much faster and efficiently which is why you pee more in a day than poo

ok.. so I have to buy their "liquid" protein? and not their "powder" protein?

But it all comes in a powder..

NO ones making you, why not just eat more meat ._., it'll only help if you are not getting enough from the food you eat.. Which usually covers more than enough in MURICA

is there "any" validity to the recommended 1g / lb (0.45kg) of bodyweight Protein intake.. that you've come across?

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 18:43:35 »
As a premed student who finished his bio series, whey protein is essentially worthless when digested, but hypothetically if you drink it, it might work but a balanced diet is the best way to go honestly

Hi, meiosis, Could you give some details as to how you've arrived at your conclusion?

Show Image

Well essentially whey protein is there to supplement for an unbalanced diet where you might have deficiencies. They body cannot process the amount of whey intake normally especially if you eat a balanced diet where you get your protein from meat. So the whey protein you drink actually just comes out your butt since it isn't processed into your muscle if you can't use it fast enough. I recall there was a study where they protein couldn't even be used up as long as you had like a chicken breast a day o-o. It's probably the placebo effect where if someone drinks they whey protein it's usually correlated with them working out as well, and from there that's already a better habit.

I think liquid whey protein works though, I think ON sells something like that :P. Liquids are processed much faster and efficiently which is why you pee more in a day than poo

NO ones making you, why not just eat more meat ._., it'll only help if you are not getting enough from the food you eat.. Which usually covers more than enough in MURICA

is there "any" validity to the recommended 1g / lb (0.45kg) of bodyweight Protein intake.. that you've come across?

Well everyones different and depends on workout :P.

Honestly I only do cardio in the morning and before I sleep, I don't really want more muscle as I was born with quite broad shoulder bones >.<.

To each his own, if you feel it helps then take as much as you want, just know most of it will go to waste and maybe you will retain <3% of it. But for the most part eating a hearty breakfast gives most of the protein you need in a day
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 18:58:56 »
I don't know what they are saying now but in my day they said 70g. was what was recommended for the average male. With that in mind, something like 120-180g. would likely be more than enough to repair and build additional mass for most athletes.  I also thought that the body could only assimilate roughly 30g. per meal. That is why 6 smaller meals/snacks makes more sense than pigging down 2600 calories and 120 g. of protein in one meal.

Offline Topre

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 19:00:23 »
Your body can absorb about 15 to 20g of whey protein from each shake after your workout. Of course everyone's body is different and the number will vary. Casein protein should be consumed about the same time as the whey protein. I wouldn't mess around with casein protein though. There is no reason why you can't eat food right after drinking a whey protein shake.

As for the amount of protein one should consume really depends on what they are doing. 1g per pound is about correct for a regular diet, a bit less is fine. A bit more if you exercise a bit. 2g per pound if you work out really hard. I do know people that take as much as 3g to 4g per pound, but I feel that is a bit excessive. If you don't work out, there is no need to be taking protein powder or supplements.

Stop with the ****ing processed foods and make your own food, using fresh materials. Your health will improve and it will be much easier to gain weight properly.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 22:38:36 »
Your body can absorb about 15 to 20g of whey protein from each shake after your workout. Of course everyone's body is different and the number will vary. Casein protein should be consumed about the same time as the whey protein. I wouldn't mess around with casein protein though. There is no reason why you can't eat food right after drinking a whey protein shake.

As for the amount of protein one should consume really depends on what they are doing. 1g per pound is about correct for a regular diet, a bit less is fine. A bit more if you exercise a bit. 2g per pound if you work out really hard. I do know people that take as much as 3g to 4g per pound, but I feel that is a bit excessive. If you don't work out, there is no need to be taking protein powder or supplements.

Stop with the ****ing processed foods and make your own food, using fresh materials. Your health will improve and it will be much easier to gain weight properly.

I'm looking Far and wide on research on the subject of protein metabolism.. nothing seems to support the 1g / lb of body weight figure...

Offline Topre

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 22:48:27 »
I haven't been in the research game in a long-ass time.

But check this out, http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8. I didn't bother reading all of it, but I don't think there are many research/test done for a period of over a month.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 00:14:27 »

But check this out, http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8. I didn't bother reading all of it, but I don't think there are many research/test done for a period of over a month.

thx for that, I am going through it now.

It puts forth the renal issue which I am highly concerned about.. I know we have 2 kidneys but losing one would epic suck...

Hopefully they will start being able to grow working replacements.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 00:30:14 »

thx for that, I am going through it now.

It puts forth the renal issue which I am highly concerned about.. I know we have 2 kidneys but losing one would epic suck...

Hopefully they will start being able to grow working replacements.

Ahh now we are talking about my line of work, won't be available to humans for another 5 years at least.

Just eat healthy man not worth it leftover whey will become kidney stones soon enough and thats like giving babies from your pp
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline Malphas

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 08:09:10 »
Marketing BS, repeated ad infinitum until everyone thinks it's gospel. The only way you'd need close to that amount of protein intake is if you were on a gram of test a week, and even then you get guys like Mariusz Pudzianowski who's diet is 90% chocolate (he takes supplements due to his Met-RX endorsements, but that's hardly going to be why he's huge).

Assuming your training, sleeping is perfect, you're getting a calorie surplus, you have reasonable genetics, etc. - best case scenario, training naturally, and assuming you're currently in an untrained state you're looking at maybe gaining a half pound a week maximum, and maybe half of that as muscle (these are optimistic estimates). So that's around 15g of muscle a day, and considering the majority of the stuff you eat - including crap like noodles, bread, etc. all contain protein - as long as you're eating some concentrated source of high-BV, reasonably complete profile protein like say a couple eggs, a glass of milk, or a chicken breast then you're already getting the maximum amount of protein your body can utilise, and supplementing with powders is pointless.

Offline omegatony

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:29:59 »

Show Image

Well everyones different and depends on workout :P.

Honestly I only do cardio in the morning and before I sleep, I don't really want more muscle as I was born with quite broad shoulder bones >.<.

To each his own, if you feel it helps then take as much as you want, just know most of it will go to waste and maybe you will retain <3% of it. But for the most part eating a hearty breakfast gives most of the protein you need in a day

If you have broad shoulders, you have the bodybuilders dream... I wish i had broad shoulders, would give me some sick trap insertions.
Realforce 87U | IBM M SSK | QFR

Offline Topre

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:45:15 »
Dat dere Cell-Tech is all you need.

Offline omegatony

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:47:04 »

Show Image

wanna ride a bicycle tonight brah?

Offline Topre

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:49:51 »

Show Image

wanna ride a bicycle tonight brah?

What's a bicycle? Curl monkeys all day.

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:56:03 »
I used to bodybuild before my wife and I had my son. Protein powder is mainly used as a supplement on top of the food you take in. Normal rule of thumb for muscle building is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. It's really hard to eat enough chicken breast a day to meet that goal which is why we use the powder or protein bars. Whatever.

Now creatine is another thing I used to use, but honestly... I never noticed much muscle growth.

Salads, although healthy, are better for cutting body fat during the months right before summer. Cutting season, whatever you wanna call it.

I tried Cell-tech and it was probably the best tasting but Whey protein is what I used more than anything.

Man... makes me wanna watch Pumping Iron now!
Vortex KBT PURE [MX Red] | CM Storm [MX Blue] | CM Storm [MX Red]

Offline omegatony

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 20:13:29 »
I used to bodybuild before my wife and I had my son. Protein powder is mainly used as a supplement on top of the food you take in. Normal rule of thumb for muscle building is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. It's really hard to eat enough chicken breast a day to meet that goal which is why we use the powder or protein bars. Whatever.

Now creatine is another thing I used to use, but honestly... I never noticed much muscle growth.

Salads, although healthy, are better for cutting body fat during the months right before summer. Cutting season, whatever you wanna call it.

I tried Cell-tech and it was probably the best tasting but Whey protein is what I used more than anything.

Have pics from back in the day?

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 01:17:08 »

Have pics from back in the day?

The only ones I have are from when I cut my weight down to around 147 (I'm 6'1'') and then some others where I was about 200. But I ruptured my left eardrum and had to have surgery. I was forced to take a two year break, then my son was born.. so I'm like WAY heavier than I used to be. But  I never built for like SUPER mass but to be beach ready all the time.

I'm pretty shy by nature due to growing up as a fat kid.

So the pictures I do have are just like normal, everyday pics.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 17:00:59 »
chances are these guys who are BEEFCAKING are eating way more protein than they need and it will be worthless regardless of when or how they intake.

also, you don't know this YET but you own a BOSTMOBILE

YAAAAAAAA dad ad addad ada da da  BOST MOBILE!!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 17:07:59 »
chances are these guys who are BEEFCAKING are eating way more protein than they need and it will be worthless regardless of when or how they intake.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 18:44:13 »

I didn't choose the bost, the bost mobile chose me
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 18:57:41 »

I didn't choose the bost, the bost mobile chose me

what's wrong with boost mobile.. I don't have it, but I thought they're all the same since they all run on the same pipes

Offline Malphas

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 18:09:23 »
Normal rule of thumb for muscle building is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
Not meaning to single anyone out for saying this, as a few people have mentioned it now, but again this is misguided BS. Everyone makes this claim, but if you ask them where the got it from, or what actual evidence there is for it they come up empty. It's just an ancient, baseless generalisation. As if you could come up with a formula as basic as that and it would apply equally to everyone, regardless of age, metabolism, natural/steroids, build, goals (since it seems to be applied to anyone remotely interested in adding any amount of muscle), training intensity/frequency, lifestyle, etc. etc. It's just complete and utter BS, and I really hope anyone reading this thread doesn't see that and believe it/repeat it/continue the cycle of ignorance.

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 21:52:17 »
Normal rule of thumb for muscle building is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
Not meaning to single anyone out for saying this, as a few people have mentioned it now, but again this is misguided BS. Everyone makes this claim, but if you ask them where the got it from, or what actual evidence there is for it they come up empty. It's just an ancient, baseless generalisation. As if you could come up with a formula as basic as that and it would apply equally to everyone, regardless of age, metabolism, natural/steroids, build, goals (since it seems to be applied to anyone remotely interested in adding any amount of muscle), training intensity/frequency, lifestyle, etc. etc. It's just complete and utter BS, and I really hope anyone reading this thread doesn't see that and believe it/repeat it/continue the cycle of ignorance.

Depends on  whose facts you go by. http://www.uni.edu/dolgener/Advanced_Sport_Nutrition/protein_intake.pdf Even at .75 protein per pound, that's not very far off of the 1 per. So... yeah. Granted the article is 2004... but 3 years from now they'll say something different. Then 3 years from that something else. It's always changing with science. So to call it 'utter BS' is extreme since we're always learning.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 05:55:14 »
25% is quite a bit off, it just sounds small when we're talking about per gram, rather than you're overall intake. Also, people are too lazy to be precise and so round up to one gram per pound even though it's inaccurate. That's partially where the myth comes from. Generally studies have shown there's no recorded benefit after 0.6g per pound, with some studies with experienced bodybuilders (who have more efficient nitrogen utilisation) showing no benefit over around 0.3-0.4g per pound.

The main point to take from all of this though, including what seemed to be the main thrust of the article you linked, is that concerning yourself over "gram per pound" figures is silly and pointless. Basically everyone, especially people on a western diet are going to be getting more than adequate amounts of protein, and supplementing with even more is a waste of time and money.

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 10:07:32 »
25% is quite a bit off, it just sounds small when we're talking about per gram, rather than you're overall intake. Also, people are too lazy to be precise and so round up to one gram per pound even though it's inaccurate. That's partially where the myth comes from. Generally studies have shown there's no recorded benefit after 0.6g per pound, with some studies with experienced bodybuilders (who have more efficient nitrogen utilisation) showing no benefit over around 0.3-0.4g per pound.

The main point to take from all of this though, including what seemed to be the main thrust of the article you linked, is that concerning yourself over "gram per pound" figures is silly and pointless. Basically everyone, especially people on a western diet are going to be getting more than adequate amounts of protein, and supplementing with even more is a waste of time and money.

K

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 10:35:47 »

K

You can't say these things for sure...

the timeframe of these events make it very difficult to test.

I'm surprised the military doesn't have more research on this.

Or they probably do but didn't bother to share it with us, because they would want exclusive super soldiers.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:49:04 »
After years of lifting I have found that most supplements are just a gimmick.  Unless it changes your hormones somehow you probably will not get anywhere near the amount of 'results' as the container claims you will.  I'd eat the chicken.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:56:41 »
After years of lifting I have found that most supplements are just a gimmick.  Unless it changes your hormones somehow you probably will not get anywhere near the amount of 'results' as the container claims you will.  I'd eat the chicken.

yea,, I can't wait until they make that myo-something something blocker thing work right.. currently it gives you cancer and brain tumors..

But yea, when they get that up and running.. w00t..

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:11:38 »

K

You can't say these things for sure...

the timeframe of these events make it very difficult to test.

I'm surprised the military doesn't have more research on this.

Or they probably do but didn't bother to share it with us, because they would want exclusive super soldiers.

I agree with you on that. I just choose not to debate or argue on the net. It's fruitless.

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:12:17 »

yea,, I can't wait until they make that myo-something something blocker thing work right.. currently it gives you cancer and brain tumors..

Could always go the HGH route. :D Look at Stallone and them ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:27:37 »

roid gut is disgusting though... ugh........ 

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 00:49:39 »

roid gut is disgusting though... ugh........ 
Show Image

oh man ik.  so glad they fixed that for Mr. Olympia. Ronnie Coleman always had the weirdest gut.