Author Topic: Looks like the Ouroboros is in stock  (Read 4158 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Looks like the Ouroboros is in stock
« on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 10:19:30 »
There's no way in hell I can afford a $150 mouse right now, but damn do I want to get my mitts on this thing

Yeah I know "Razer LOL" but I can't help it. I'm probably more of a mouse fanatic than I am a keyboard fanatic.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-ouroboros

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
Re: Looks like the Ouroboros is in stock
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 10:20:51 »
aside looking like a transformer, is it really good? i mean, compared to a deathadder or something like it...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 10:22:26 »
No idea. I always considered it to be Razer's take on the RAT series. As soon as I can put some funds together for one of these, I'll pick one up and do a review.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 10:24:53 »
This mouse is fugly.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 10:28:06 »
Does it really come packaged like this? If so that is awesome!

33260-0

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 10:38:25 »
No idea. I always considered it to be Razer's take on the RAT series. As soon as I can put some funds together for one of these, I'll pick one up and do a review.

Yeah, it's not meant to compete with the DA as the above poster said, why would Razer make a mouse that competes with one of their major sellers? The Ouroboros is definitely a challenger to the RAT mice that have done very well, despite the controversial choice of sensor.

I recently got one of these, and first off; the US version is different from the rest of the world, at least according to Razer, although only difference seems to be how you adjust the rear shell. The US version comes with a small screwdriver that you need to loosen the screws and then adjust the rear shell, non-US just has a button you press down and then move the shell. Dunno why, patent issues maybe?
Mine, the non-US version, did not come in a box like that, nor haev I ever seen it packaged like that anywhere. It came in a clear plastic case similar to the one the Mamba comes in.

So yeah, I'll be including my experiences with it in my upcoming writeup/mini-reviews on all my mice, but if anyone wants to know something about it then ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 12:35:36 »

Yeah, it's not meant to compete with the DA as the above poster said, why would Razer make a mouse that competes with one of their major sellers? The Ouroboros is definitely a challenger to the RAT mice that have done very well, despite the controversial choice of sensor.

I recently got one of these, and first off; the US version is different from the rest of the world, at least according to Razer, although only difference seems to be how you adjust the rear shell. The US version comes with a small screwdriver that you need to loosen the screws and then adjust the rear shell, non-US just has a button you press down and then move the shell. Dunno why, patent issues maybe?
Mine, the non-US version, did not come in a box like that, nor haev I ever seen it packaged like that anywhere. It came in a clear plastic case similar to the one the Mamba comes in.

So yeah, I'll be including my experiences with it in my upcoming writeup/mini-reviews on all my mice, but if anyone wants to know something about it then ask and I'll do my best to answer.

for $150 I would've expected some more fancy packaging.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 14:24:24 »

As a claw gripper, how do you find it compare to G9X?  Overall I like G9X but I wish it had more of a \__/ shape so it's easy to pick up.  Another mouse I liked is Taipan but I find it too long.

Is Ouroboros wider than G9X?  Also do you find it easy to pick up while using the slimmer side grip.  And another thing is dimension, from the spec sheet it looks like it's pretty long.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 14:46:22 »

As a claw gripper, how do you find it compare to G9X?  Overall I like G9X but I wish it had more of a \__/ shape so it's easy to pick up.  Another mouse I liked is Taipan but I find it too long.

Is Ouroboros wider than G9X?  Also do you find it easy to pick up while using the slimmer side grip.  And another thing is dimension, from the spec sheet it looks like it's pretty long.

I can't really tell you how it would work for a claw gripper as my grip is often a hybrid of palm and claw.
It's longer than a G9x, about the same width. The length, however, can be reduced if you just take off the palm rest rear part altogether though. Do note that if you do so you're pretty much stuck with fingertip grip.
With the narrow grips it does have the \__/ shape you're looking for.

However, a word of warning for some; I would not recommend picking one up if you're planning on using it mostly as a wireless mouse as the wireless function can be unreliable. Usually it's not hard to make it behave when it's acting up, but it's still an annoyance.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 19:20:11 »
Ahhhhh mmmmm judging by this it sounds like I might be better off waiting for the Abyssus replacement.

Thanks for the feedback though !

:D

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 22:39:19 »
Having been burnt by Razer on that POS $150 Mamba that I've had replaced twice and then never used again, think I'm gonna take a pass on this.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 10:10:34 »
Looks too weird to fit comfortably in one's hand, part of the reason why I'd avoided Mad Catz RAT  mouse, looks too weird. I have a first gen G9 and it's still doing a bang up job on my 2nd rig. For me, I'd decided to try the Roccat Kone XTD and though it's a big mouse, for an Asian guy like me, it fits very nicely due to its ergonomic design. I don't care that it's laser instead of the much lauded optical......as long as I can play UT3 and Quake 3 Arena and hit what I aim at, it's good enough for me.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:06:08 »
The mouse looks awesome, but... after fiddling with a wireless mouse that is the G700s, I don't think I'll go back to a wireless anymore. I can't do the whole wireless charging thing.

There was a wireless system that was pretty decent, which was the G7. It had a recharging + wireless base station thing, came with two batteries, and when you needed a fresh battery, all you needed to do was just swap the batteries. The swapping was also made easy because the mouse itself had a spring-loaded button to eject the battery; so there was no fiddling with battery covers or flaps. Infinitely more convenient than what the wireless mice do these days, which is plugging and un-plugging the actual USB cables.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:15:00 »
The mouse looks awesome, but... after fiddling with a wireless mouse that is the G700s, I don't think I'll go back to a wireless anymore. I can't do the whole wireless charging thing.

There was a wireless system that was pretty decent, which was the G7. It had a recharging + wireless base station thing, came with two batteries, and when you needed a fresh battery, all you needed to do was just swap the batteries. The swapping was also made easy because the mouse itself had a spring-loaded button to eject the battery; so there was no fiddling with battery covers or flaps. Infinitely more convenient than what the wireless mice do these days, which is plugging and un-plugging the actual USB cables.

Yeah, the wireless charging isn't all that convenient, although unlike the Mamba, the Ouroboros uses a regular AA battery, so you can swap to a fresh one when you need to, but the process is a tiny bit fiddly, very fiddly on the US version of it.
It does seem to have decent battery life though, I use mine at 500hz and no lights on, so far I haven't seen it dip below 50%, I usually just put it on the charger base when I'm afk or know I'll be using the trackball for a while.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:24:07 »
The main thing is gaming... logistically. A charging base is pretty simple to use, but that also means you can't game while it's charging on the base.

The same with plugging/unplugging the mouse for charging, and/or removing battery covers. That stuff is just impossible during a game.

With the G7, though, it wasn't all that bad, because swapping batteries took just a couple of pushes of buttons. It would barely take any time out of the game.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:31:46 »
The main thing is gaming... logistically. A charging base is pretty simple to use, but that also means you can't game while it's charging on the base.

The same with plugging/unplugging the mouse for charging, and/or removing battery covers. That stuff is just impossible during a game.

With the G7, though, it wasn't all that bad, because swapping batteries took just a couple of pushes of buttons. It would barely take any time out of the game.

Doesn't really take that long on the non-US version Ouroboros either, since it all pops off and on again easy, and if you're playing an online FPS then usually you'll have time to swap when you die and notice the battery is running low. Besides, the battery life is good enough that if you're thinking a little bit ahead it shouldn't be a problem.

I've been using mine wirelessly pretty much since I got it, and not once have I run out of juice while gaming.
Even if it's an emergency, moving the plug from the base to the mouse takes no time if the base is nearby.

But I see where you're coming from, I've tried both the Mamba and G700s, and neither were really viable wireless options for me. The Ouroboros works just fine wirelessly for me, and that should count for something considering that I'm a big fan of wired mice.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:52:45 »
Yea... I don't know. It works for you, but I personally don't want to deal with removing flaps, and/or plugging/un-plugging cables.

And planning ahead of time to game before the battery dies is annoying for me, too. With the G700s I always had to plan ahead when I wanted to game, so the battery wouldn't die in the middle of a game. But... that's just annoying. I want to be able to play whenever I want.

These are slight annoyances, sure... but once I realized I had to deal with it literally every single day on the G700s, I said no way.

Anyway... sorry for the slight off-topic. Just wanted to input my two cents on why I avoid wireless mice (if another wireless mouse had the exact same system as the G7, I would be all for it).

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:59:52 »
Yea... I don't know. It works for you, but I personally don't want to deal with removing flaps, and/or plugging/un-plugging cables.

And planning ahead of time to game before the battery dies is annoying for me, too. With the G700s I always had to plan ahead when I wanted to game, so the battery wouldn't die in the middle of a game. But... that's just annoying. I want to be able to play whenever I want.

These are slight annoyances, sure... but once I realized I had to deal with it literally every single day on the G700s, I said no way.

Anyway... sorry for the slight off-topic. Just wanted to input my two cents on why I avoid wireless mice (if another wireless mouse had the exact same system as the G7, I would be all for it).

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, I just want to relay my experiences so that those on the fence about the mouse get the most information so that they can then make a more informed decision. The G700s battery life seemed worse than the Ouroboros, although I never properly tested, but when I had mine I was always worried that the battery would die. I find that I never have that worry with the Ouroboros, since the battery lasts quite a while, and I just leave it on the base when I'm afk to make sure it's topped up on juice.

Edit; although for different reasons I feel that I can't really recommend the Ouroboros as a pure wireless mouse, so my defence of it is pretty much rendered moot.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 August 2013, 19:02:26 by vun »