Author Topic: your opinion about which filco to get? :)  (Read 2780 times)

Offline skuko

your opinion about which filco to get? :)
« on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 04:05:25 »
i'm getting a blue switch board next, that's for sure.

also, i'm getting these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-White-Gray-Dyesub-Blue-Fonts-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/330911046913?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4d0bd5dd01

now, the question is, should i go with a black case or wait for beige case (beige aren't in stock at keyboarco atm - expected at the end of september - i can't find them on ebay either)

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/usa-filco-ninja-majestouch-2-tenkeyless-nkr-click-action-keyboard-image.asp

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/white-filco-ninja-majestouch-2-tenkeyless-nkr-click-action-usa-keyboard-image.asp

thanks in advance

P.S. getting ninja because of the unprinted case, i like....the stock side printed caps will be likely for sale :)

Offline skuko

Re: your opinion about which filco to get? :)
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 04:20:30 »
none.

Ergodox > anything filco.

figured you will jump in :)

ergodox is way outta my skill- and price- range. (if i include paying someone to assemble it for me).

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:11:05 »
Either would be fine, as to whether beige/ivory white or black, it boils down to your personal taste or aesthetics value (as long as it has the switch type you prefer). Personally, I like the beige one, pretty old skool looking....I was in the same position as you, got a black one as I couldn't find a beige one. Then when it turned up in the Used/garage section of a local tech forum, I grabbed it as well.....swapped their key caps around.

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:17:40 »
Just a matter of what you prefer.
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
KMAC Korean Custom with Clears
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:23:20 »
none.

figured you will jump in :)

ergodox is way outta my skill- and price- range. (if i include paying someone to assemble it for me).
here is where tp4 would normally say something like "with ergodox you will never need another keyboard so you will save money in the long run blah blah something or other"
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline skuko

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:32:00 »
Either would be fine, as to whether beige/ivory white or black, it boils down to your personal taste or aesthetics value (as long as it has the switch type you prefer). Personally, I like the beige one, pretty old skool looking....I was in the same position as you, got a black one as I couldn't find a beige one. Then when it turned up in the Used/garage section of a local tech forum, I grabbed it as well.....swapped their key caps around.
Show Image

thanks for the pic, explains much :)

i'm leaning towards the beige case too, i think it will look better with various colors of caps, such as the set i posted in the OP.

i'm no design expert or anything, just feel like it's a more neutral color. not 100% sure yet though.

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:51:12 »
I have two Filcos, and I choose one with black keycaps, one with white keycaps.

Then I selectively switching keycaps between them. Make two checkered keyboards, for example.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline mauri

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 06:26:41 »
none.

You're just upset you don't have a filcodox
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 09:26:41 »
Get the majestouch 2 , ol reliable

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline BliTzKiN

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 09:30:18 »
I would go for the white one. I think it looks way better then the regular black one :)

Offline Winther

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 14:42:07 »
I guess its up to you. But getting the second best thing because the one you really want arent in stock is a bad idea in my honest opinion!

Personally I hate the beige color, but that is all just personal prefference, I also like some contrast with lighter colors on keyboards, but the keycaps you found look to have atleast some contract so might work good with the lighter keyboard, is that is your thing.. :)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 15:19:53 »
IMO, the thick PBT keycaps that you want will look better on a beige Filco than a Black one.  Here is a similar set of green-on-beige thick PBT dyesubs (these were from IMSTO.)

However, they look pretty good on black as well.  Best solution is to get the black one now, and the beige one later when it becomes available. Get different switches though.  Get one in blue and one in brown?  Or red.  Black is meh.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline skuko

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:57:31 »
IMO, the thick PBT keycaps that you want will look better on a beige Filco than a Black one.  Here is a similar set of green-on-beige thick PBT dyesubs (these were from IMSTO.)

Show Image

However, they look pretty good on black as well.  Best solution is to get the black one now, and the beige one later when it becomes available. Get different switches though.  Get one in blue and one in brown?  Or red.  Black is meh.

oh wow, do want :) i already have a black one with red switches, gonna get a beige one then :)