Author Topic: So... some time has passed; How is everyone's Leopold FC660C doing?  (Read 5786 times)

Offline dante

So... some time has passed; How is everyone's Leopold FC660C doing?
« on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 14:10:53 »
Just checking in to see how your FC660C's are doing.  If you are still in love with it, if the feel has changed, and what would you change if you could?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: So... some time has passed; How is everyone's Leopold FC660C doing?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 14:12:02 »
I still wish it felt like the HHKB.  But I still like it a lot (it's been my daily driver at work for the last couple of weeks).

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 14:31:49 »
I still wish it felt like the HHKB.  But I still like it a lot (it's been my daily driver at work for the last couple of weeks).

Can you explain by feel different to someone who hasn't tried either hhkb or fc660c?

My experience in mechanical boards:
I have tried cherry m8, m9, my, mx (all standard except for green), alps white linear & complicated, monterey blues (got my 5181 and wow I LOVE it omg)
The click on the monterey blues isn't too loud, I like the way I only bottom out when typing hyper fast with my fat fingers (I want to try greens for that extra resistance, or modded m9's inverted to be tactile with black MY springs  :eek:)

I would be using it for a work driver, but if I like the experience I might become a convert altogether.
Using a TT Meka with mx black at work right now just so I am not stuck on a crappy dell membrane.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 14:44:55 »
My FC660C still works like it was new.  However, TBH, I don't really use it that much, as I prefer my HHKB.  I have the FC660C attached to my wife's computer, and she uses it often, and she likes it.  IMO, it hasn't changed at all since it was new.  It still feels great.  My only complaint today, is the same as the first day I got it, which is that I wish there was a set of replacement keycaps for the FC660C, since the beige-on-dark grey color scheme is completely unappealing. In fact it breaks the number one rule of fashion:  it's boring.  It is so boring that it's beneath Leopold's standards, IMO.  They are a Korean keyboard company making keyboards in the golden age of Korean keyboards, and yet they gave us boring.  It is so boring, it could have only been produced by a committee of scared, middle-aged men in a conference room, who were all seeking the "safest" design, a designed that meekly say of itself:  "I'm an ubotrusive, dark grey corporate drone."  IMO the guys at Leo forfeited their chance to do something great with the look of the FC660C.  However, everything under the keytops is excellent.

Can you explain by feel different to someone who hasn't tried either hhkb or fc660c?

I have tried cherry m8, m9, my, mx (all standard except for green), alps white linear & complicated, monterey blues (got my 5181 and wow I LOVE it omg)
The click on the monterey blues isn't too loud, I like the way I only bottom out when typing hyper fast with my fat fingers (I want to try greens for that extra resistance, or modded m9's inverted to be tactile with black MY springs  :eek:)

I would be using it for a work driver, but if I like the experience I might become a convert altogether.
Using a TT Meka with mx black at work right now just so I am not stuck on a crappy dell membrane.

Well, the Topre switches feel better than any MX switch IMO.  It is impossible to explain the feeling of a keyswitch in words.  But if you are looking for a comparison, I would say Topre's feel like MX Browns, without that "grittyness",  also the tactile bump comes near the top of the keystroke, instead of in the middle like with MX browns.  Also I would say that Topre switches feel a bit better than lubed ergo clears, which are IMO, an MX approximation of the feeling you get from Topre.  I dunno if you've had the opportunity to try lubed ergo clears, but that is the closest you can get with Cherry, IMO.

Some people say Topre feels like MX red, which is not really true.  The only similarity with MX reds is that it's fairly effortless to type with Topre, especially the silent variable switches available on the RealForce 87U.  So in that respect, the ease of typing, is similar to reds.  Although there is a tactile bump to the Topre that is not present in the MX red.  I dunno if this helps at all.  The only way to know is to try Topre for yourself.  A meetup would be a great way to try somebody's Topre keyboard.  Or just get one.  You will not be sorry if you do.  The worst reaction I've seen is that people like the Topre switch, but don't feel it was worth the extra price over the MX (which is kind of ridiculous, IMO, b/c the same people will pay $600 for a custom Cherry MX keyboard, which is more expensive than any Topre.)

One other thing about HHKB and FC660C is that they are 60% keyboards, and are smaller than TKL, and have a fn layer.  Also HHKB has it's distinctive key layout, which is superior to traditional layout, but requires a period of adjustment.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 14:54:36 by eth0s »
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:15:23 »
Still loving mine, and is almost all I've used since April.  (Except FC660M for a bit)  The legends are a bit dirty on common modifier keys and such, but the PBT caps feel the same as day one.  The spacebar has a nice shiny spot where my right thumb hits it. (It's ABS, not PBT I believe) 

Overall, still amazed at it and in love.  But sad that I no longer use the dozen or so other fine keyboards littering my office.  The layout makes it harder to rotate through boards due to the arrow key locations.  (I end up hitting \ instead of DEL on my TKL boards now!)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:19:34 »
ehhhh.... nicer rubber cup than the other rubber cups I've used.  Still fancy alps, cherry, buckling... but this keyboard has held up just fine.  My favorite rubber cup flavor which tastes of rubber... cup
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:32:27 »
thanks eth0s your words helped :)
I like the hhkb layout better for a work driver, but the hhkb is so much more expensive I think I could get used to the layout.
The dull grey layout is the only reason I haven't bought one yet. It's just so unappealing  :'(

Offline MTManiac

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 17:47:52 »
thanks eth0s your words helped :)
I like the hhkb layout better for a work driver, but the hhkb is so much more expensive I think I could get used to the layout.
The dull grey layout is the only reason I haven't bought one yet. It's just so unappealing  :'(
better a rubber cup than a rubber in a cup?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 18:37:20 »
Just got mine last week, and have been using it the past two days. Before that, I had the FC660M with Cherry blues. The FC660C with Topres is MUCH better than the FC660M with respect to typing feel and sound. HOWEVER, it will take second place to my IBM SSK, mainly because of the lack of good replacement keycaps!

Leopold, or someone, needs to offer sets of high-quality dye-sub keycaps, preferably of similar quality and appearance to those on the HHKB Pro 2 or Realforce 87u (including the spacebar, please!).

Until there are good keycaps for this board, it is not going to be my daily driver, nor will I buy additional FC660C boards.

If they were to come up with the right keycaps, I would probably buy two more FC660C keyboards so that I would have one for each of my three workstations.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 19:52:55 »
Overall, I've had an excellent experience with mine. I have the same minor complaints about it such as poor keycap design and color scheme. But other than that, it's a dream to type on. And I love the feel of PBT keycaps :)

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 21:14:32 »
Friend haven't give it back yet. It has been 2-3 weeks ;___;

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 22:01:48 »
I'm not sure what you are expecting..

Exactly what can happen to it?

It's a keyboard....  it's not like a power-drill or jackhammer, that's subjected to highly destructive forces...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 22:14:04 »
Doesn't get much use these days since I've moved to the ErgoDox. However, I type on it occasionally and it still feels as good as new, and makes me long for a Topre ErgoDox

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 23:15:08 »
Leopold, or someone, needs to offer sets of high-quality dye-sub keycaps, preferably of similar quality and appearance to those on the HHKB Pro 2 or Realforce 87u (including the spacebar, please!).

For the record, the HHKB spacebar is ABS last time I checked too.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 23:36:07 »
I don't think I've ever come across a PBT space bar for Topre.

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:19:29 »
I have only had mine for a few days now. I didn't get it in the first round like everyone else. It is my first Topre, and I think it is alright it so far (I've been typing in pretty much all my free time for the past few days), but its not as amazing as I thought it would be given the way so many people describe Topre. It feels pretty good. Nothing like a Cherry Switch at all IMO. Much closer to rubber dome (huh, I wonder why), but it bottoms out nicely and I like the sound. Still, I wonder if I should have maybe gone with a Poker II with MX Blacks. My fingers just aren't flying across they keyboard like they did on my Ducky. I'm going to give it some more time, since I hear Topre has a bit of a break in period, but if I don't like it after a few more weeks I'm probably going to sell it. So far it has been alright, but I expected more. My one big complaint is that the switches don't have the same uniformity as Cherry Switches. There is a 20g difference between the heaviest and lightest switches on this keyboard, and from what I understand that is pretty typical of Topre.
87u || Poker 2

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:22:00 »
I have only had mine for a few days now. I didn't get it in the first round like everyone else. It is my first Topre, and I think it is alright it so far (I've been typing in pretty much all my free time for the past few days), but its not as amazing as I thought it would be given the way so many people describe Topre. It feels pretty good. Nothing like a Cherry Switch at all IMO. Much closer to rubber dome (huh, I wonder why), but it bottoms out nicely and I like the sound. Still, I wonder if I should have maybe gone with a Poker II with MX Blacks. My fingers just aren't flying across they keyboard like they did on my Ducky. I'm going to give it some more time, since I hear Topre has a bit of a break in period, but if I don't like it after a few more weeks I'm probably going to sell it. So far it has been alright, but I expected more. My one big complaint is that the switches don't have the same uniformity as Cherry Switches. There is a 20g difference between the heaviest and lightest switches on this keyboard, and from what I understand that is pretty typical of Topre.

660C is uniform 45g though...
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 08:51:01 »

Yeah, and "uniform" for Topre apparantly means +-15g.
87u || Poker 2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 08:54:08 »

LOLOLOL

I think they're taking into account the fact that you may strike the key at a different angle causing more friction against the side shaft.

It's unlikely that they're quoting the rubber cup tolerance or the "inner" spring tolerance.

So this is a "non" issue.

MX would have a similar rating, if they cared enough to include angle of keystrike.

Offline dante

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 09:34:25 »
I don't think I've ever come across a PBT space bar for Topre.

I can't find it now but I swear Brian at one time said they couldn't produce PBT Spacebars for the Topre because of warping issues.  If so, explain the FC660M?

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 10:01:36 »

LOLOLOL

I think they're taking into account the fact that you may strike the key at a different angle causing more friction against the side shaft.

It's unlikely that they're quoting the rubber cup tolerance or the "inner" spring tolerance.

So this is a "non" issue.

MX would have a similar rating, if they cared enough to include angle of keystrike.

It's not a non-issue, and it's definitely not due to the angle I hit the key. Keys right next to each other on the same row feel significantly different, no matter how I press them. I can literally feel how the rubber dome provides less resistance on some.  I’ve measured the actuation force of each key using nickels and pennies, and there is a twenty gram difference between my lightest and heaviest (my lightest key also happens to be the scratchiest one, so this isn’t being caused by friction). You definitely don’t see that on an MX board. Furthermore, the right side of the keyboard is lighter than the left, and if you look at how the cups are laid out, there is a sheet of connected cups on the left and a sheet of connected cups on the right, which makes me think that it is difficult for them to mold all their sheets to the same specifications.
87u || Poker 2

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:45:49 »
I can't find it now but I swear Brian at one time said they couldn't produce PBT Spacebars for the Topre because of warping issues.  If so, explain the FC660M?

Well, I know they can make PBT spacebars for MX, I just haven't seen one for Topre. Probably has to do with the style of mounting, might be more sensitive to warping than the standard MX cross mount.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:47:52 »
It's not a non-issue, and it's definitely not due to the angle I hit the key. Keys right next to each other on the same row feel significantly different, no matter how I press them. I can literally feel how the rubber dome provides less resistance on some.  I’ve measured the actuation force of each key using nickels and pennies, and there is a twenty gram difference between my lightest and heaviest (my lightest key also happens to be the scratchiest one, so this isn’t being caused by friction). You definitely don’t see that on an MX board. Furthermore, the right side of the keyboard is lighter than the left, and if you look at how the cups are laid out, there is a sheet of connected cups on the left and a sheet of connected cups on the right, which makes me think that it is difficult for them to mold all their sheets to the same specifications.

You're not the first person I've heard of that has had the Topre non-uniformity issue. I've never experienced a single board feeling that dramatically different, but I have had two 55g right next to each other that were significantly different feels (my AE was uber stiff, and my stock 55g 87U is fairly light).

Offline dante

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:52:20 »

You're not the first person I've heard of that has had the Topre non-uniformity issue. I've never experienced a single board feeling that dramatically different, but I have had two 55g right next to each other that were significantly different feels (my AE was uber stiff, and my stock 55g 87U is fairly light).

I tried a AE at Keycon and was puzzled as to why everyone thought it was stiff.  It was no stiffer than the usual HP rubberdomes I run into.  IMO based on that experience if you can handle MX Blues the 55g Topre should be piece of cake.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 12:02:05 »
That's not what I mean by stiff. I mean that this AE was stiffer than stock MX Clears. It was beastly.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 12:18:43 »
Subjectively, I have not noticed any difference in the actuation or bottom-out forces among different keys on my FC660C, but I have not done objective measurements to test for uniformity.

What I have noticed is a difference in the return "clack" among different keys. Whereas most of the keys rebound with a muted thud, a number of them rebound with a sharper clack. This makes me wonder about the silenced Topres in the silent versions of RealForce and HHKB Pro 2 keyboards. What aspects of the keystroke and/or recovery are being muted in the silienced version of Topres? Moreover, do people find it worth the extra expense to get the silent versions? (Subjective, I know).

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 13:18:24 »
My FC660C still works like it was new.  However, TBH, I don't really use it that much, as I prefer my HHKB.  I have the FC660C attached to my wife's computer, and she uses it often, and she likes it.  IMO, it hasn't changed at all since it was new.  It still feels great.  My only complaint today, is the same as the first day I got it, which is that I wish there was a set of replacement keycaps for the FC660C, since the beige-on-dark grey color scheme is completely unappealing. In fact it breaks the number one rule of fashion:  it's boring.  It is so boring that it's beneath Leopold's standards, IMO.  They are a Korean keyboard company making keyboards in the golden age of Korean keyboards, and yet they gave us boring.  It is so boring, it could have only been produced by a committee of scared, middle-aged men in a conference room, who were all seeking the "safest" design, a designed that meekly say of itself:  "I'm an ubotrusive, dark grey corporate drone."  IMO the guys at Leo forfeited their chance to do something great with the look of the FC660C.  However, everything under the keytops is excellent.

This is the greatest description of keyboard decision making that I have ever read.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 13:31:39 »
I still love mine, its in my regular rotation. I do wish I could get a full cap set, but maybe its a good thing that I have one less board to spend more money on. All in all its great, and the stock caps are holding up nicely.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 14:51:30 »
This is the greatest description of keyboard decision making that I have ever read.

It's also highly opinionated and subjective. I really like the keycaps of my FC660C.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 15:28:55 »
Don't quote me on this but I think I read are no PBT spacebars from topre because the japanese engineers didn't wanna make warped ones.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 15:53:39 »

Well, the Topre switches feel better than any MX switch IMO.  It is impossible to explain the feeling of a keyswitch in words.  But if you are looking for a comparison, I would say Topre's feel like MX Browns, without that "grittyness",  also the tactile bump comes near the top of the keystroke, instead of in the middle like with MX browns.  Also I would say that Topre switches feel a bit better than lubed ergo clears, which are IMO, an MX approximation of the feeling you get from Topre.  I dunno if you've had the opportunity to try lubed ergo clears, but that is the closest you can get with Cherry, IMO.

Some people say Topre feels like MX red, which is not really true.  The only similarity with MX reds is that it's fairly effortless to type with Topre, especially the silent variable switches available on the RealForce 87U.  So in that respect, the ease of typing, is similar to reds.  Although there is a tactile bump to the Topre that is not present in the MX red.  I dunno if this helps at all.  The only way to know is to try Topre for yourself.  A meetup would be a great way to try somebody's Topre keyboard.  Or just get one.  You will not be sorry if you do.  The worst reaction I've seen is that people like the Topre switch, but don't feel it was worth the extra price over the MX (which is kind of ridiculous, IMO, b/c the same people will pay $600 for a custom Cherry MX keyboard, which is more expensive than any Topre.)

One other thing about HHKB and FC660C is that they are 60% keyboards, and are smaller than TKL, and have a fn layer.  Also HHKB has it's distinctive key layout, which is superior to traditional layout, but requires a period of adjustment.

Ethos check out the Azio Levitron 5 then. Sounds like it might be right up your alley!!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 16:59:55 »

I agree about the keycaps. The lack of good replacement keycaps is the main thing holding me back from buying more of these Leopolds and making them the primary boards on my workstations. At the very least, I would like to see a high-quality dye sublimated white and light gray set like those on the HHKB Pro 2 or the RealForce 87u.