Author Topic: How I Found The Real Me Through GeekHack  (Read 3594 times)

Offline melt

• check out my Instagram!
How I Found The Real Me Through GeekHack
« on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 05:07:47 »
Hi, guys, nothing to see here anymore... thanks!  :cool:
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:30:53 by melt »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: How I Found The Real Me Through GeekHack
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 07:11:36 »
Cool story bro. Keep it real.

PM an admin about your username thing.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 07:16:01 »
good luck brother

keep it real
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 07:57:17 »
Is that you ripster?

I feel like this has been an elaborate attempt to re-emerge on GH... LOL.. naw jk... there goes my conspiracy theories again..

Um... well yea dude, I don't think anyone is really analyzing and judging you so careful, especially on the internet.

I believe you are overly self-concious, you come off as socially-anxious more than any of the other problematic "issues" you claim to possess in your posts.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:13:49 »
Glad GH has been so positive for you. And good luck on you change, in the end, it's all your choices, easy or hard, to make!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:16:24 »
May I suggest an avatar?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:42:40 »
With that hair style, can I take it that you like electronic monotonic music? There can't be many synth clubs in Abu Dhabi, I recon... or are there?
🍉

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:51:36 »
Instead of wanting your username to be changed, why don't you consider it a part of you? The internet is a very big part of the world today, and having an online identity becomes a part of a person.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:53:01 »
Instead of wanting your username to be changed, why don't you consider it a part of you? The internet is a very big part of the world today, and having an online identity becomes a part of a person.

the point is he feels disassociated while online.. this is a common occurrence as most people completely lose accountability.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:56:15 »

the point is he feels disassociated while online.. this is a common occurrence as most people completely lose accountability.

Is that a problem of ego? People need millions of strangers to know who they are? You can't lose accountability on the internet, because it's fairly nonexistent.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:06:38 »

Is that a problem of ego? People need millions of strangers to know who they are? You can't lose accountability on the internet, because it's fairly nonexistent.

Um.. not sure if it's an ego issue..   The identity is closely tied to individual progress..

From what I can tell, the OP comes from an affluent background, so he is likely struggling with the fact that he can not readily improve his life..   This would mean that he lives with a sense of stagnation devoid of forward momentum..

This is the same reasoning/motivation that drives people to collect "stuff"/materialism in the first place..

Because they want to see progress in their life, and buying more things is a way to "track" such progress.

Even though beyond a certain point, if the material items you collect has zero utility and YOU KNOW IT... the system is again broken.

This is where the "live in the moment" crowd start to develop..   

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:09:19 »

Um.. not sure if it's an ego issue..   The identity is closely tied to individual progress..

From what I can tell, the OP comes from an affluent background, so he is likely struggling with the fact that he can not readily improve his life..   This would mean that he lives with a sense of stagnation devoid of forward momentum..

This is the same reasoning/motivation that drives people to collect "stuff"/materialism in the first place..

Because they want to see progress in their life, and buying more things is a way to "track" such progress.

Even though beyond a certain point, if the material items you collect has zero utility and YOU KNOW IT... the system is again broken.

I was waiting for the "your life cannot be complete without ergodox" but it never came...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:14:06 »
there are 2 schools to living in the moment..

there's the "enjoy-more-of-the-moment" crowd

and

the "stop-thinking-about-the-future" crowd (similar to hippies)

^^^ these people are engaging in elaborate escapism.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:15:15 »

I was waiting for the "your life cannot be complete without ergodox" but it never came...

well... when I sense suicidal tendencies in people... I will pull myself back from the ergodox crusade...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:15:41 »

and

If you forget about the future, then the moment is always now, and you can enjoy it much more.

Offline melt

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:17:10 »

Very well said.  I feel that for me, I find it a difficult thing to grasp, having an alias, (username) and in my situation, the actions or things I wrote, that I took under that alias or username, wasn't who I feel I truly am at the core of things.  It helped me to see that my whole life was like an alias, like a username on a forum... an alias of a person who I do not wish to be anymore...

For me I think it is easier to come to terms or come to grasp with using my real name as a username as I feel more accountable then, for the things I do and say online.  So there can be nothing to hind behind.  And I feel I was hiding most my life from things.  So this was very symbolic for me.  I hope that helps to clear things up as to what I was getting at.  Thanks, everyone!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:17:14 »

and

If you forget about the future, then the moment is always now, and you can enjoy it much more.

until you're dead broke/ hungry/ AND haven't showered in a month...

There is only so much enjoyment you can delude yourself into having given "those" conditions.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:18:40 »
I was waiting for the "your life cannot be complete without CLACKS!" but it never came...

FTFY  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:20:04 »

Very well said.  I feel that for me, I find it a difficult thing to grasp, having an alias, (username) and in my situation, the actions or things I wrote, that I took under that alias or username, wasn't who I feel I truly am at the core of things.  It helped me to see that my whole life was like an alias, like a username on a forum... an alias of a person who I do not wish to be anymore...

For me I think it is easier to come to terms or come to grasp with using my real name as a username as I feel more accountable then, for the things I do and say online.  So there can be nothing to hind behind.  And I feel I was hiding most my life from things.  So this was very symbolic for me.  I hope that helps to clear things up as to what I was getting at.  Thanks, everyone!

OP, i believe you are confusing your act of "hiding" from being "sheltered"..

You were not hiding by volition.... you were "hidden"/ "sheltered"  by your parents who shielded you from the waves of life crushing debris.

don't consider yourself a coward, you've just been a little too comfortable.

Offline melt

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 05:58:34 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 06:22:49 »

Ugh.

I took what I hated and made it a part of me

Offline melt

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 08:46:13 »
With that hair style, can I take it that you like electronic monotonic music? There can't be many synth clubs in Abu Dhabi, I recon... or are there?

haha, unfortunately there are no such clubs in Abu Dhabi, though I do try and make my own electronic music to help fill the void... here is my soundcloud, I'm also known as Heikah:

https://soundcloud.com/heikah
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 September 2013, 09:39:59 by melt »

Offline iri

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 09:57:01 »
why didn't you take a nice indian name instead? like pradikumar mukhopadhyay
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 10:38:33 »

The funny part is most of those names sound in Czech like Suq Madiq sounds in English.

Offline melt

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 11:10:34 »

Well, I don't know what to say here in response, but, my father is German and took his family name.  And the name, Heinz, comes from my fathers uncle who he greatly admired.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 11:18:22 »

and

Enjoying more of the moment is not escapism.  It's a recognition that all you have is the moment.  You can only remember the past and the future is only the moment that we have not experienced. So if we cannot enjoy the now, how can we expect to enjoy the moment that will occur?  The more you think about the concept of time, the crazier it seems.

Also, thanks for the thoughts OP.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 September 2013, 15:15:24 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline iri

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 13:08:36 »

The funny part is most of those names sound in Czech like Suq Madiq sounds in English.
not only in czech
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 13:54:18 »

Well, I don't know what to say here in response, but, my father is German and took his family name.  And the name, Heinz, comes from my fathers uncle who he greatly admired.

My brother-in-law's first name was Heinz.  My nephew is Karl-Heinz.   Maybe it's a Berliner thing.   ;D