Author Topic: Thoughts about this new product for Smart Phone screens?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline histevenhere

• Student
Thoughts about this new product for Smart Phone screens?
« on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 00:55:49 »
So apparently there is this product called Liquid Sapphire. Apparently it is second to diamond in hardness and clear enough to be applied onto your smartphone screens to make a coating that is scratch-proof(not shatter-proof). This may all be a marketing scheme, however if it truely is some sort of perm advancement to screens... It is well worth the 30 dollars.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/scratch-resistant-phone-tablet-screen-liquid-nanotechnology-diy-coating/x/4584515

That's the source. Any thoughts?
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: Thoughts about this new product for Smart Phone screens?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 01:43:04 »
My gorilla glass screen is scratch proof already...

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 05:52:13 »
My gorilla glass screen is scratch proof already...

I scratched my gorilla glass a lot, but i work with metal which also finds it's way into my pockets...

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 05:56:13 »
Liquid sapphire does not work on plastic or metal, it’s designed specifically for touch screen and camera lenses.

Humm... But most screens are made of plastic, no!?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 05:59:02 »
I find that the glass used on current high-end smartphones is pretty scratch-resistant. I am never really all that careful and have put them in my pocket together with keys, coins etc. My Galaxy S3 is essentially scratch free, and my 4 year old (?) HTC Desire has only minimal barely visible scratches, even though the rest of the coating around the phone is pretty much all worn off.

What I am really interested in is a material that will not shatter when dropped. This is the main problem with these thin phones with huge screens. We all know at least one person who is walking around with a cracked screen on their phone.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 06:05:23 »
Guess that's hard to solve...
Usually hard equals brittle and flexible equals soft :/
Also the material has to be transparent and colorless which out-rules most materials to begin with.

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 08:50:37 »
You guys bring up pretty good points. I have an iPhone 5 and the screen occasionally gets scratched just with keys in my pocket with the phone...though I try my best to remember to seperate the two. I'm pretty skeptical about iPhone screens and s3/s4 screens. My friend's naked s3 never gets scratched by his keys and I am quite envious :(.
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u