Author Topic: Clean my shine keycaps....  (Read 2816 times)

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Clean my shine keycaps....
« on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 13:39:39 »
Hi guys I have the orange wasd set on my DS3 and the lettering is already getting grey.... So how can I clean it along with the rest of the board?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Clean my shine keycaps....
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 18:15:07 »
Grey?  These have translucent lettering, don't they?  To let the backlight shine through?

Have you tried soaking them in soapy water or, preferably, use denture tabs?  Works a treat for most keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 21:31:16 »
The orange set has turned grey lol. Ok I will clean the whole board tomorrow.  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 22:16:04 »
The orange set has turned grey lol. Ok I will clean the whole board tomorrow.  :D

Uh wat?

Picture please ;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 07:29:50 »

I also await pics :eek:

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:19:14 »
They aren't as white anymore from when I put them on.
I put the black set for comparison.
Can you tell which key is the most used?
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:21:45 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:36:23 »
They are going to look fairly dark without the backlighting on - that's just a side-effect of the design.

But soaking them in warm water with a couple of denture tabs dissolved should clean them up nicely.

I tend to use 3 denture tabs for a full set of keycaps.  Put the tabs in and wait for the to dissolve - the water turns blue.  Drop the keycaps in (and I swish them around for a minute).

Wait until the water turns clear (or brown, depending on how dirty the keycaps are).

Drain (I also rinse with cold water), leave to thoroughly dry.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 19:08:42 »
They are going to look fairly dark without the backlighting on - that's just a side-effect of the design.

But soaking them in warm water with a couple of denture tabs dissolved should clean them up nicely.

I tend to use 3 denture tabs for a full set of keycaps.  Put the tabs in and wait for the to dissolve - the water turns blue.  Drop the keycaps in (and I swish them around for a minute).

Wait until the water turns clear (or brown, depending on how dirty the keycaps are).

Ok thanks! I will go out and buy denture tabs sometime this week or whenever I can.  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 21:45:16 »

Ok thanks! I will go out and buy denture tabs sometime this week or whenever I can.  :D

Let us know how they turn out!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 21:57:36 »
I don't recommend cleaning them...

If they work.. stick with it.. anything you do to clean them carries the risk of ruining the corners of the letters because corners are attacked 2x as much as edges..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 22:49:39 »
I don't recommend cleaning them...

If they work.. stick with it.. anything you do to clean them carries the risk of ruining the corners of the letters because corners are attacked 2x as much as edges..

Cleaning (rinsing) the dirt off should not damage the keycaps.

If you're worried, just don't swirl them around, let them soak, which should clean them just as well.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:35:14 »
Does the color end up changing like getting lighter?
I might try dish soap. I'm a bit lazy to go to wallgreens to buys some denture tabs.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:00:55 »
Does the color end up changing like getting lighter?
I might try dish soap. I'm a bit lazy to go to wallgreens to buys some denture tabs.

I have only cleaned white/off-white keycaps this way, and some of those were very dirty.  The colours looked the same afterwards, they were just sparkling clean.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:13:00 »
Hmm I'll try dish soap first. Then if that doesn't satisfy me I'll try denture tabs.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 17:36:34 »
Hmm while my keycaps dry. I get to use my K90. I miss it. I am falling in love all over again with my reds. I guess this is a bad thing for my browns hehe. Only thing I like about the shine 3 on browns, is that I feel when my key actuates it bumps, not only that it feels more like a positive feedback than on my k90. But I guess I'll just wait a bit for my keys to dry and then fall in love again with browns.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 19:18:28 »
Hmm while my keycaps dry. I get to use my K90. I miss it. I am falling in love all over again with my reds. I guess this is a bad thing for my browns hehe. Only thing I like about the shine 3 on browns, is that I feel when my key actuates it bumps, not only that it feels more like a positive feedback than on my k90. But I guess I'll just wait a bit for my keys to dry and then fall in love again with browns.

Why not like both?  I like Topre, BS, blue and black, and even red!

The joy of having so many different keyboards is the opportunity to switch between them.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 14:52:21 »
True! It's just that I don't like having both of them taking space on my desk and and for the day I used my K90 I was yearning to go back to my shine.