Author Topic: HHKB Key Rattle  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
HHKB Key Rattle
« on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 17:23:49 »
Hi Everyone! I'm having a bit of a strange issue with my newly aquired HHKB, it's not the biggest issue in the world, but would really like to perhaps see if there's a way to fix it.  One key in particular is making a very strange rattling noise on the upstroke of the key. I tried the obvious stuff like taking the keycap off and putting it back on, but it unfortunately stayed the same. I took some videos to better articulate what I'm talking about, my assumption is that something is wrong with the spring underneath the dome of the switch.  I'm very nervous about taking apart this board since it was so expensive and all, I did e-mail Brian over at EK for any suggestions from them or to see if it was RMA worthy, but thought it wouldn't hurt just to see if I could get any insight from you guys in the meantime.  Thanks for reading!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/107216566@N08/10579811795/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/107216566@N08/10581709616/
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 October 2013, 17:29:14 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: HHKB Key Rattle
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 17:30:58 »
happens to everyone..  it's fine.. chill... not a defect... you're good to go....

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 17:34:51 »
Mine does that on a key or two as well, I'm fairly certain that it's normal.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 17:35:17 »
happens to everyone..  it's fine.. chill... not a defect... you're good to go....
Oh ok, sorry, I wouldn't have made a new thread if I knew this.  I didn't find any other topics describing this thing so I thought it might have been worth asking.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 17:52:35 »
Oh ok, sorry, I wouldn't have made a new thread if I knew this.  I didn't find any other topics describing this thing so I thought it might have been worth asking.

no need to be sorry... like I said... YOUR GOOD TO GO....

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 17:56:35 »
I'm glad you asked because I was kind of wondering the same thing. My letter 'f' key does make a lighter, rattlier noise than the others which I found odd. Glad to know it's just normal non-uniformity. I wish they all had the thockiness of my left shift button... best sounding key I have by far... I'm regularly turning on the sticky key prompt because sometimes I just like to hear the thock in all its glory :)
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 17:57:56 »
At least this thread will stand as a reference for anyone else searching for Thorpe rattle.

Er, Topre rattle.

Um, HHKB rattle.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 18:33:24 »
I'm glad you asked because I was kind of wondering the same thing. My letter 'f' key does make a lighter, rattlier noise than the others which I found odd. Glad to know it's just normal non-uniformity. I wish they all had the thockiness of my left shift button... best sounding key I have by far... I'm regularly turning on the sticky key prompt because sometimes I just like to hear the thock in all its glory :)

I agree, seems like all stabilized Topre keys feel and sound much better than non stabilized ones.