Author Topic: Trackball dilemma  (Read 5651 times)

Offline thehothit

Trackball dilemma
« on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 20:38:14 »
I'm looking for some advice regarding getting a trackball.  I've been using a Logitech Performance Mouse MX for about 1.5 years, but am experiencing elbow and forearm pain in my right arm.  I've tried a Vertical Mouse (can't move it finely enough), Trackman Marble (ball feels too small and not enough dpi) and a RollerMouse Re:d (got on well with it, but can't justify the cost).

I love the Performance Mouse MX.  It really allows me to move around 2 high res monitors (2560x1440 & 1900x1200) very quickly and accurately.  I love using the scroll wheel, too.

I'm thinking about getting one of the following:

Expert Mouse
CST 2545 - 5W (Worried about the placement of the scroll bar)
Microsoft Trackball Explorer

I'm a programmer, and spend a lot of time in Visual Studio and browsers.

Which Trackball would you choose?

Many thanks for any advice.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Trackball dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 02:10:06 »
I'd have to say CST since you mention you want to move between two high res monitors quickly, and CST are the ones who make the highest dpi trackballs. I don't know the Expert dpi off the top of my head, but the Slimblade might also have enough dpi for your needs, I'm not sure how much dpi you want.

Offline thehothit

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 07:34:55 »
Thanks for your reply.

I've had the CST in my shopping cart at many different times.  I'm concerned about the scroll wheel.  I've read that it's hard to reach, and that scares me a little.  I've become somewhat addicted to scroll wheels!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 08:27:41 »
Thanks for your reply.

I've had the CST in my shopping cart at many different times.  I'm concerned about the scroll wheel.  I've read that it's hard to reach, and that scares me a little.  I've become somewhat addicted to scroll wheels!

Yeah, that is a common concern with the CST, and part of the reason why I think it's worth looking into the slimblade, as that may have lower dpi, but you scroll by twisting the ball, so it's never out of reach. Of course there are flaws to that method as well, but it's worth considering.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 15:51:27 »
I wouldn't be too concerned about scrolling. You can always do a smarter thing in software: turn some key/button into modifier, and when that modifiers is pressed, moving the ball acts as scrolling. It's awesome with pedals.

Offline thehothit

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 22:35:24 »
I ordered the Kensington Slimblade (thanks vun).

If it doesn't work out, my plan is to send it back and get a CST (and then use software as per davkol).

Thanks for your help!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 01:11:32 »
glhf

Slimblade is awesome, but it could be better... I'd prefer different button switches and rougher texture at least.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 05:11:46 »
I think that you will like the Slimblade but I agree with davkol about the switches. I think the low profile is ergonomically superior to the Expert Mouse but I found that the switch feel wasn't as satisfying. The EM switches are Omrons like the Slimblade's, but are larger and tactilely more robust. I found that the Slimblade's switches work better if you activate them close to 3:00 or 9:00 relative to the ball.

I think you will be happy with the ball and scrolling action but it probably won't be as fast as a mouse.

Offline router.exe

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 15:30:29 »
i play in VS all day, and for the last few years i've been using a kensington orbit.  i have smaller hands, so it fits them well, plus the dedicated scroll wheel in an easy access location is hard to beat.
TECK 207 MX-Browns

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 06:43:49 »
If you don't like the Trackman Marble, have you looked at the trackman t-bc21?  I have one, and the ball is MUCH larger than the marble. 

Also, it's your fingers that move the ball vs your thumb.  (Personally I prefer the thumb as it seems I get more pain from this design.)

Offline thehothit

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 12:18:59 »
Many thanks for all of the replies and good advice.  The SlimBlade just arrived, and I'm using it now.  I'll post an update in a couple of days!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 06:56:01 »
Is it better to get the track ball installed in the desk so it's lower and you don't have to lift your wrist as often?

or would the apple/logitech track pad be better..

how is the logitech track pad btw.. can it be used in wired mode.

Offline thehothit

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 15:08:14 »
Just an update:  I've been using the SlimBlade all day.  I love it - so far.  I do have the tracking speed and acceleration turned up to the maximum possible values.  Does anyone foresee a problem with that?

I still feel like I want to try the CST, though.  I remember finding a site that has a downloadable .exe that lets you click a button and move the ball in order to scroll.  That would negate the need to reach for the CST's scroller.  I just can't remember which site it was!

tp4issue - I use an IMak ergoBeads hand rest to support my hand.  It helps.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 19:42:26 »
There used to be a similar utility designed for the Logitech Marble Mouse illustrated above.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline thehothit

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 12:35:42 »
I've found the software that I was talking about earlier,  I'm sure that everybody knows about it already.  It's called X-Button Mouse Control  http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm and seems very comprehensive.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 12:19:50 »
glad that you're happy. I am also using the slimblade.

I've found the software that I was talking about earlier,  I'm sure that everybody knows about it already.  It's called X-Button Mouse Control  http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm and seems very comprehensive.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.