Author Topic: CALCULATORS (the remake)! (also slide rules)  (Read 10352 times)

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
CALCULATORS (the remake)! (also slide rules)
« on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 21:46:59 »
Since the old calculator thread is very clearly dead, and I don't think it would be a very good idea to necro it, how about another?

What calculators do you guys use/have? Do you enjoy them? Do you have any personal recommendations after using a bunch?

I personally have a TI-84+ Silver Edition and a TI-Nspire CAS, though neither gets a ton of use. I'm also looking into an old HP 48G or 48GX, based on the assumption that I found I really like Reverse Polish Notation, general reviews of the newer RPN calculators aren't very fair, and I really liked the buttons on the older HP calculators I've used. Very tactile, though they also are very short throw, decently stiff, and feel very well made.

After using the Nspire CX, I cannot say I recommend either the 84 +SE or the regular Nspire, because the buttons, except for the letters on the Nspire (in alphabetical order :( ), are just not up to snuff. They feel very cheap, wobbly, and rubbery compared to the HP calculators.

Also, if anyone here has an HP 50g and can compare it to a 48g, that would be very much appreciated.

EDIT: Now includes Slide Rules, since they're related and someone brought them up.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:57:56 by inteli722 »
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline catnipz0098

Re: CALCULATORS (the remake)!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 21:51:57 »
I use the TI-83

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 21:58:08 »
I have a Casio 9850 in my drawer, but I haven't touched it in years.  Threw a RPN calculator on my phone for the twice a year I can't get by with mental approximating.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 22:37:41 »
calculators is one of those words that if you type it a lot you start to question if you're typing it correctly
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 22:57:08 »
Just a Ti-84 Silver Edition. Found it at a yard sale for $20 a while back. It does everything I need it to do, though I would kind of like a color screen...

Offline inteli722

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 23:10:38 »
Just a Ti-84 Silver Edition. Found it at a yard sale for $20 a while back. It does everything I need it to do, though I would kind of like a color screen...

They actually just released a TI-84 Silver edition in Color. Kinda weird, considering the resolution of that screen is slightly lower than that of the HP 48G, which came out a good 5 years before.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 23:20:50 »
um.... real world... we use excel.. and matlab..   maybe some other stat pack for tradition but, the handheld has really been relegated as merely a "learning-tool" for children..

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 23:23:19 »
No substitute for slamming a few calculations out when its not efficient to punch it on the calculator than opening a spreadsheet.
Obvious uses during Uni/College and I was a tutor for Maths for many years so it was a must.

I use a Casio fx-CG10. Doesn't take commands as quickly as my older one (forget the model but was a Casio)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 23:32:55 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 10:50:55 »
I have an old TI-81 lying around.  I'm sorry to admit, I generaly use my phone.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 10:54:58 »
I do what I can on paper and do some trig in my head if it doesn't need to be accurate (1 or 2 dp). I use a boring Casio fx-991ES+ in my exams, spreadsheets/Mathematica/Matlab in the lab and a Casio 9850 that almost never gets used as the aforementioned software have superceded it somewhat and programmable calculators are banned in exams here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2013, 10:56:59 by McWilloughby »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 11:33:32 »
TI-83+ Silver Teachers Edition (with the ViewScreen port) and a TI-86.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 11:43:36 »
TI-83 is my weapon of choice at work.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 11:44:12 »
TI-81 that I bought direct from TI, before they were available in stores.

Really want an HP 11C, but I'm wary of buying one from eBay.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 11:49:28 »
I still have my trusty TI-92 somewhere, a TI-86 and I think maybe even a TI-84, but these days the HP 35S gets the job done.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:41:17 »
TI-81 that I bought direct from TI, before they were available in stores.

Really want an HP 11C, but I'm wary of buying one from eBay.

I've got a couple of HP calculators around here. I know I have a 22S, and I think there's an 11C around here somewhere as well. If not, it's an HP calculator that looks absurdly similar.
More

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:50:16 »
um.... real world... we use excel.. and matlab..   maybe some other stat pack for tradition but, the handheld has really been relegated as merely a "learning-tool" for children..

lol

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:53:38 »
Speaking of old calculators...anyone know where I can get a decent slide rule?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:55:44 »
Speaking of old calculators...anyone know where I can get a decent slide rule?

If you had asked this before I moved, I would have given you one. I gave it to an acquaintance who collects them.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:56:43 »
Today I have the sad :(

Offline inteli722

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:57:18 »

Pff. Reverse Polish Notation, man. Love it.
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: CALCULATORS (the remake)! (also slide rules)
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:00:53 »
Reverse polish notation hurts my head....but somehow slide rules dont.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:02:20 »
Reverse polish notation hurts my head....but somehow slide rules dont.

I used it for a little bit on a 48g emulator, and I really liked it.
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 20:07:02 »
So seriously, anyone know where I could find a slide rule? I kinda want one for giggles. And 'cause they're cool.

Funny how I want one now...I didn't even know they existed until high school haha.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 20:25:29 »
So seriously, anyone know where I could find a slide rule? I kinda want one for giggles. And 'cause they're cool.

Funny how I want one now...I didn't even know they existed until high school haha.

I knew about them, but never really understood how the worked until high school.

I figure Fleabay would have some. Other than that, you'll probably have to ask google.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Slide+Rules
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 00:32:42 »

Pff. Reverse Polish Notation, man. Love it.

+1

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 04:15:11 »
At home:

I also have a slide rule somewhere.  Me and a mate went to the trouble in high school of learning how to use them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mnpikey

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 10:50:56 »
Have had my HP 48GX since new and still works perfectly.

Been thinking about getting on of these new HP Prime calculators though!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 11:06:42 »

I knew about them, but never really understood how the worked until high school.

I figure Fleabay would have some. Other than that, you'll probably have to ask google.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Slide+Rules

Yeah I did the standard eBay/Google search but I was hoping someone knew off the top of their head. Oh well, the hunt goes on XD.

Show Image

Show Image

Wow that new HP Prime calculator is so fancy @.@.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 11:14:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

I've actually been debating between the two after I found out about the Prime. When/if you get one, please post a comparison as far as quality and button comparison between the two. RPN and CAS? Yes please!

EDIT: Not exactly debating, since I know I want a 48G (I like those older HP calculators. They have a sort of charm to them), but I'd like to know if a Prime would be a suitable replacement in the meantime, since I also need a CAS calculator in a couple years for Calculus.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 November 2013, 11:20:24 by inteli722 »
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 08:05:12 »
I have a TI-89 Titanium in the closet, but never use it. I don't need it in classes, and don't have time to play with it at home. And Casio fx-570ES, that I have had since high school, is a bit easier to use.

In the end, I just keep a Python shell and GNU Octave on my desktop.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 08:17:49 »
I have a Ti-86 for home when I am doing my CAD stuff.  At work I use a Ti-36X. 

Would like to add that calculators still very much h have a use outside of learning tools for kids.most of the stuff I use it for is trig when I need a conveyor at a specific angle and need to figure leg lengths and shaft alignments especially when the plant wants sub .002" tolerance.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 09:48:25 »
It looks like a ton of slide rules on ebay. I am so old that I learned on them in both high school and college. They are surprisingly accurate, as long as you can keep the decimal in the right place.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 09:52:36 »
80's engineers are used to RPN HP calcs. I was a collector of them for some time. Now I stick with an HP10BII+ for handy calculations. In general PC handy makes a calculator almost not required, so it is just a sort of nostalgia thing.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 10:35:03 »
Could someone explain this RPN?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 11:05:22 »
"Reverse Polish Notation" is a joke name.

Instead of "one plus one equals two" you go "one enter one enter plus" and the answer "two" comes up.

Personally, I hate it.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline inteli722

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 11:11:08 »
"Reverse Polish Notation" is a joke name.

Instead of "one plus one equals two" you go "one enter one enter plus" and the answer "two" comes up.

Personally, I hate it.

It's not a joke name if you look up the origin. Polish notation is a way somebody came up to write equations, where you say the operator, and the operated digits ie + 1 1, which would give you two. Reverse Polish Notation puts the operator at the end.

You don't have to like RPN, but that doesn't mean that others don't. I think it's great, as do many engineers. Once you learn it, it makes solving longer problems quicker, but it makes solving short equations like 2 times 2, 40 plus 5, etc longer. Some swear by it, some hate it.
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 11:24:49 »
My team lead's calculator at work uses reverse Polish notation. I remember spending like 20 minutes trying to figure it out. I couldn't get it to work and he told me he couldn't get "normal" calculators to work anymore lol.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 11:38:42 »
LISP master race... well, without the parenthesis.

Anyway, pre-/postfix is way more efficient than infix.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 15:45:33 »
This one time we had a programming exercise to convert an expression from infix to RPN.

Or was it the other way?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 16:25:50 »
TI-84 Plus, ever since 6th grade

Offline inteli722

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 16:26:41 »

Ya gotta hop on that RPN train, man!
More

Offline zemp

• FREE ITENS PLS
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 22:07:12 »
alot of people in canada have a ti83/84 due to the fact they are the standard(one of the standards) in canadian tests.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 03:42:55 »

Ya <enter> RPN train <enter> gotta hop on, man!

FTFY

You <enter> an RPN fanatic <enter> call yourself?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 15:16:39 »
My team lead's calculator at work uses reverse Polish notation. I remember spending like 20 minutes trying to figure it out. I couldn't get it to work and he told me he couldn't get "normal" calculators to work anymore lol.

If your used to using RPN it is hard to use a 'normal' calculator again. I'm always thinking I'll just use windows calculator but it never works right for me :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:11:45 »

If your used to using RPN it is hard to use a 'normal' calculator again. I'm always thinking I'll just use windows calculator but it never works right for me :P

I bet Yoda can only use RPN calculator :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:17:10 »

I bet Yoda can only use RPN calculator :))

number enter first then number enter you must

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 17:08:41 »
I use the Python console.
... or my vintage TI-1200 with tiny LED digits under a magnifying lens strip.
🍉

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:51:16 »
HP12C
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 01:32:15 »
I think RPN makes a lot more sense with calculators that have more than one line of numbers. The single line LCD RPN calcs presume that you already know numbers get pushed into a stack and how everything works. Or that you'll read a manual to figure out basic arithmetic operations on a calculator, which is preposterous in 2013.

With regard to the timeframe, I think RPN made a lot more sense in the time it was invented. There probably weren't calculators capable of automatically decomposing huge nested equations, and I feel like it is easier with RPN.

For those who like RPN and use *nix, Orpie is a cool command line RPN calculator that you should check out if you don't already use it!