Author Topic: Really old personal computers  (Read 4126 times)

Offline nuclearsandwich

Really old personal computers
« on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 12:42:58 »
This is a Sol-20 personal computer made by Processor Technology. First released in 1976, it utilized the Intel 8080 8-bit microprocessor chip, running at 2 MHz. It was notable for being the first personal computer for including a built in video driver so users were not limited to serial port based terminal systems.

This photograph was taken last Monday at a reunion of the Homebrew Computer Club which I was fortunate enough to attend. The paper taped to the front reads "pull out the guts & screw with the brains"

Does anyone else keep vintage computers around and have photographs of them?
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2013, 15:46:52 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Really old personal computers
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 12:44:15 »
You need to meet Microsoft Windows.

His stuff isn't quite as old, but he has lots of old Macs/PCs.  He also has a Commodore 64 if I'm not mistaken...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:10:15 »
My first computer had a 1.79MHz CPU.

2MHz?  Luxury!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:59:37 »

2MHz?  Luxury!

My first was 75mhz.. but I didnt get one with the turbo button until much much later..

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 17:00:54 »

2MHz?  Luxury!

Was it something 6502-based?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 17:02:56 »

2MHz?  Luxury!

Z80.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 17:08:08 »

2MHz?  Luxury!

Z80.

Awesome! I don't have any experience with the Z80 family of processors.

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 01:48:40 »
This is a Sol-20 personal computer made by Processor Technology. First released in 1976, it utilized the Intel 8080 8-bit microprocessor chip, running at 2 MHz. It was notable for being the first personal computer for including a built in video driver so users were not limited to serial port based terminal systems.

Show Image

This photograph was taken last Monday at a reunion of the Homebrew Computer Club which I was fortunate enough to attend. The paper taped to the front reads "pull out the guts & screw with the brains"

Does anyone else keep vintage computers around and have photographs of them?

Can't see the pic, but that's awesome. Was Lee Felsenstein there? Did Woz show up?

Always wanted an Altair, always too expensive. I think there are a few replica kits out there now, but they are also quite costly! And all so I can experience computing at its worst - flip switches and blinking LEDs. There's just something really geeky-cool about that to me.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 05:59:41 »
My first computer was an Apple II c! Good ol green text and huge floppys.

Online Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 07:59:17 »

2MHz?  Luxury!
The Commodore 64 runs on 1MHz btw...
🍉

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 15:44:57 »

2MHz?  Luxury!

Z80.
ha! mine had a 3.5mhz cpu! and a ****en plenty of 48kb ram!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 15:52:32 »
Can't see the pic, but that's awesome. Was Lee Felsenstein there? Did Woz show up?

Lee Felsenstein was there and moderating the discussion.  Woz was there and spoke briefly about the social mission he felt behind the personal computer.

I'd actually met Woz previously at a similar function some years back and didn't feel up to making my way through the gaggle of people around him. If you ever do meet him don't be shy. He's a phenomenally friendly person!

Always wanted an Altair, always too expensive. I think there are a few replica kits out there now, but they are also quite costly! And all so I can experience computing at its worst - flip switches and blinking LEDs. There's just something really geeky-cool about that to me.

Toggling data into a computer is novel for about 40 switches, then you lose track and get over it. When I first saw cookie clicker it actually kinda reminded me of toggling switches only brainlessly.

If you ever make it to the San Francisco bay area the Computer History Museum in Mountain View has a pretty fantastic setup. Make sure you go on a Saturday so you can see the Babbage Difference Engine in use!

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 15:54:27 »

Forgot to mention I fixed the busted photo link. Probably.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 15:58:05 »
My first computer used a 16-bit TI TMS9900 processor @ 3.0MHz, with 256 Bytes of "scratch pad" RAM and 16 KB VDP (graphics RAM).

TI-99/4A

Photograph by Rama, Wikimedia Commons, Cc-by-sa-2.0-fr

I recently bought one on eBay, but I don't plan to use it as-is. My plan was to use it as a housing/keyboard for a Raspberry Pi. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:05:04 »
My first computer used a 16-bit TI TMS9900 processor @ 3.0MHz, with 256 Bytes of "scratch pad" RAM and 16 KB VDP (graphics RAM).

TI-99/4A
Show Image

I recently bought one on eBay, but I don't plan to use it as-is. My plan was to use it as a housing/keyboard for a Raspberry Pi. :)

'Solid State Software'

That's is so cool!!

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:11:23 »

Which computer had a Z80 clocked at 1.79MHz?

[)amien
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:15:07 by DamienG »

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:16:16 »
Did not know any other GH'ers were going to be there- HaaTa and I were also there!

[)amien
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:07:34 by DamienG »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:16:30 »

[)amien

TRS-80?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:20:49 »

[)amien

TRS-80?

Just reading about it now on Wikipedia - it's amazing all the quirky designs and tricks that crept into 8 and 16 bit machines. (e.g. screen layouts on the Apple ][, TRS-80, Spectrum and Amiga HAM)

[)amien

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 17:07:11 »
Lee Felsenstein was there and moderating the discussion.  Woz was there and spoke briefly about the social mission he felt behind the personal computer.

Did know any other GH'ers were going to be there- HaaTa and I were also there!

[)amien

Nice! I got to attend as my father's +1. He was an original (though not founding) member of the original and Sacramento chapters. He's also the reason I have a ton of Commodores and other old PCs. One of these days I'll get enough working to organize a retro hack day.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 17:07:13 »

[)amien

TRS-80?

Yes, but mine was **** Smith System 80, which was basically a TRS-80 clone with a built-in tape recorder.

16K RAM!!!

1K VRAM!!!

You really had to know how to optimise your software in those days.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:06:42 »
One of these days I'll get enough working to organize a retro hack day.

I have a whole bunch of retro machines including Sinclair, Amstrad, Acorn, Memotech, Amiga and Atari. If you want to do a retro day I'm in.

[)amien

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:20:55 »

I'd actually met Woz previously at a similar function some years back and didn't feel up to making my way through the gaggle of people around him. If you ever do meet him don't be shy. He's a phenomenally friendly person!

Toggling data into a computer is novel for about 40 switches, then you lose track and get over it. When I first saw cookie clicker it actually kinda reminded me of toggling switches only brainlessly.

If you ever make it to the San Francisco bay area the Computer History Museum in Mountain View has a pretty fantastic setup. Make sure you go on a Saturday so you can see the Babbage Difference Engine in use!

Man, that meetup sounds like it was awesome. Don't suppose you have any more pics? Thanks for the share!

I'm actually around the bay area but haven't gone to the Computer History Museum in years. I should really go. There's also the Living Computer Museum in Washington that looks way cool.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:24:49 »

TI-99/4A
Show Image

My first comp too! TI-94...Did you ever connect a tape player to load software? lol...If you remember that, then you know.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:52:26 »

Man, that meetup sounds like it was awesome. Don't suppose you have any more pics? Thanks for the share!

I'm actually around the bay area but haven't gone to the Computer History Museum in years. I should really go. There's also the Living Computer Museum in Washington that looks way cool.

Just this other crappy cell phone picture I sent to my coworkers to make them jealous.

When the professionally shot photographs make it on Flickr I'll link them back here.

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:57:42 »

Just this other crappy cell phone picture I sent to my coworkers to make them jealous.

Show Image

When the professionally shot photographs make it on Flickr I'll link them back here.

Nice, looking forward to it.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 03:11:23 »

Was within reach of where I am sitting so easily powered up for the pic although I did have to leave the room to get the camera.

[)amien
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 November 2013, 17:59:47 by DamienG »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 09:45:44 »

TI-99/4A
Show Image

My first comp too! TI-94...Did you ever connect a tape player to load software? lol...If you remember that, then you know.

Of course! I had a tape recorder and the little cable to connect it. Then you had to type LOAD "PROGRAM_NAME" at the prompt to load it and then RUN to execute it once loaded. :)

I was just a kid, so I couldn't afford the Peripheral Expansion Box and floppy drives, etc.

in memoriam

Offline iri

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 10:19:42 »
Of course! I had a tape recorder and the little cable to connect it. Then you had to type LOAD "PROGRAM_NAME" at the prompt to load it and then RUN to execute it once loaded. :)
oh yeah.

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 13:32:10 »
haha yea, definitely good times, this was one of my fav's, Alpine Climber:

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 14:35:08 »
I miss unique style from older era...

Offline iri

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 14:57:27 »
ah, motherland!..

45337-2

-Ray Bradbury

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 16:49:06 »
man vintage keyboards look so sick
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit