Author Topic: Zombified Keyboard Assembly  (Read 2070 times)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
Zombified Keyboard Assembly
« on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 00:41:35 »
So I tried my hand at assembling my first keyboard. An Ergo-Dox with Ergo Clears. Did it all in one night, despite dropping all 100 SMD diodes on the carpet :confused: somehow I still managed to find enough to build the damn thing and I only have one switch not working probably due to a bent pin. Oh yeah, forgot to mention I soldered every diode to the wrong side of each pcb so now it's a bit thicker than it should be but it doesn't interfere too much. Overall, a decent experience, 8/10, would do again. Is there a reason to post this, and should it go in off-topic? No and quite possibly, but it's 1:42 am and I'm tired.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Re: Zombified Keyboard Assembly
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 00:49:30 »
How are you liking your ergodox? I was so tempted to buy one when massdrop had it, but I couldn't convince myself.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 02:47:54 »
Ah, nice! I am planning to do some of my own keyboard modding during my winter break. I've never soldered before so it's a definitely learning experience.

What kind of soldering equipment did you use?

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:23:25 »
Fixed the 'C' key not working, turned out to be the diode. I just soldered another one to the back of the PCB instead of removing everything to swap out the dead one and that fixed it.

Ah, nice! I am planning to do some of my own keyboard modding during my winter break. I've never soldered before so it's a definitely learning experience.

What kind of soldering equipment did you use?

I use a Hakko FX-888 Analog for my iron with a 1.6mm tip, and some 0.2mm Kester 44 63/37 as my solder. For desoldering I have a soldapullt and I love that thing. It really isn't too hard to solder, having decent equipment makes it even easier too.

How are you liking your ergodox? I was so tempted to buy one when massdrop had it, but I couldn't convince myself.

I've yet to have a good sit down with the board to type on it. It's definitely going to be a unique learning curve. I LOVE the ergo clears though.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 12:04:09 »

Congratulations!!

If you dislike the smd, you can use the through-hole ones..

open up the switch.. and put them through the holes in the front.. they'll be "Inside the switch"  and it's much easier to solder than the SMD for novices..

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 12:09:32 »
Show Image

Congratulations!!

open up the switch.. and put them through the holes in the front.. they'll be "Inside the switch"  and it's much easier to solder than the SMD for novices..

Show Image

I didn't wanna do the SMD's before I started, but I didn't want to wait for through-holes to come in the mail, and radioshack charged $2 for 10, so I said screw it and did the SMD's. I actually prefer those over through-hole now o.O
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 16:47:42 »
Show Image

Congratulations!!

Show Image

I didn't wanna do the SMD's before I started, but I didn't want to wait for through-holes to come in the mail, and radioshack charged $2 for 10, so I said screw it and did the SMD's. I actually prefer those over through-hole now o.O

well for novices, they may not realize how to solder the smds quickly.

putting down all the solder on one side first, and then the smd, then the other side.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 18:15:44 »
I've yet to have a good sit down with the board to type on it. It's definitely going to be a unique learning curve. I LOVE the ergo clears though.

I see you own many topre boards--how do the ergo clears compare? I kind of have a love-hate relationship with topre, but I'm kind of leaning towards going back to mx lately...
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 21:05:41 »
Show Image

Congratulations!!

Show Image

well for novices, they may not realize how to solder the smds quickly.

putting down all the solder on one side first, and then the smd, then the other side.

WFD's video was a bunch of help :)

I see you own many topre boards--how do the ergo clears compare? I kind of have a love-hate relationship with topre, but I'm kind of leaning towards going back to mx lately...

Definitely stiffer and totally different type of feeling. Topre feels light and smooth while the clears are crisp and feel mechanical in nature, which they are. I personally find my self often returning to my 87u which is by far my favorite, but I use my Cherry boards every once and a while every now and then.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites