Author Topic: @ all you audiophiles here  (Read 4864 times)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
@ all you audiophiles here
« on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 17:47:45 »
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations/advice on what sound card to buy. My audio set up currently is Astro A40 headset + MixAmp Pro. Pls no hate.

I want a sound card that has optical out and supports DDL.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:58:27 by missalaire »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: @ all you audiophiles here
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 17:50:15 »
I'm not sure if it's high end or that great but I bought a Striker Omega 7.1 from Binge. It was a bit of a pain in the ass to setup but it sounds good now.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 17:52:39 »
/hates

(with love)
I love Elzy

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 17:54:00 »
It all depends on what you want to run.  Are you shooting for desk speakers in stereo?  Headphones?  Both?

We must know these things!
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 17:55:14 »
I personally do not know much about sound cards but maybe looking at some of the sound card reviews on head-fi might be useful.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/sound-cards
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline missalaire

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 17:58:21 »
It all depends on what you want to run.  Are you shooting for desk speakers in stereo?  Headphones?  Both?

Gonna be listening primarily through my headset. I mostly game, but I do listen to some music and watch some movies too.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 17:59:11 »

Gonna be listening primarily through my headset. I mostly game, but I do listen to some music and watch some movies too.

ok, so list all of your devices and plans for possible future devices.  I was looking for a bit more info. Sry

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline missalaire

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 18:03:56 »

ok, so list all of your devices and plans for possible future devices.  I was looking for a bit more info. Sry

Astro A40 wired headset
Astro MixAmp Pro

I plan to stick to gaming headsets so probably sticking to Astro for a while. I may consider getting some real computer speakers like the Audioengine ones, but not for quite a while (basically when I have a more permanent residence). I basically want to get as good of sound quality as I can with a gaming headset + mixamp.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 18:11:10 »
From what it sounds like you don't need a studio quality product, and the average (read: not a sound designer) consumer can't tell the difference between a $50 soundcard and a $200 one. Any internal sound card should do you just fine. Just make sure it's got everything you need.

This is a paraphrase of what my sound designer friend told me a while ago.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline missalaire

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 18:12:15 »
From what I've been reading, it seems I'd need a sound card that supports DDL.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 18:12:56 »
I know I've said this over IRC, but this is not a place where you want to burn any $$$.

Save the cash and move on if you are going to keep the audio devices you have.  It's not their quality, but they are a complete audio system.

Adding additional audio devices before them will at best do nothing to the quality of your audio.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 19:15:25 »
I have used Creative gear for at least 15 years and have been very happy.

Currently using X-Fi Elite Pro which is getting long in the tooth but has served me very well and still works flawlessly.

But, truly, it is the totality of the system that determines the final soundwave hitting your eardrum.
“This isn’t the same Trump that got elected in 2016, he’s worse.”
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”
“What kind of man is this?”  Biden asked. — June 3, 2024

Offline simz

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 19:45:54 »
I personally do not know much about sound cards but maybe looking at some of the sound card reviews on head-fi might be useful.

Like Dragon pointed it out, I think a good place to start at is head-fi.org, read some reviews, read about sound signatures that are appealing to you, ask them some question considering alot of them are very knowledgeable.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 19:58:44 »

Like Dragon pointed it out, I think a good place to start at is head-fi.org, read some reviews, read about sound signatures that are appealing to you, ask them some question considering alot of them are very knowledgeable.

Head-fi is full of hype and noobs (but is still a valuable resource to start with, and lots of content to read) . First, you can still use your mixamp pro with a different set of headphones, and also with a seperate amp as well for harder to drive headphones. Now if you're interested in getting a new pair of headphones and perhaps a amp to go with that, then I can help. For gaming, stick with the mixamp  but for music, you can get a seperate dac which won't process surround sound for your games, but will improve your music's sound quality.

New pair of headphones will net you the best SQ improvement.

This thread is a great place to start for gaming with headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:04:12 by thegunner100 »
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:30:01 »
Your soundcard will make very little difference if you're already running a DAC separately, but since you're not the soundcard can replace any DAC for a fraction of the cost and almost unnoticeable quality difference. Any card would be fine, I used a simple Soundblaster X-fi Titanium with various amps for years before getting a standalone DAC, and when I did eventually cave and get one I barely noticed any improvement at all. Other audiophiles might try to justify spending hundreds more on a DAC for their computer setup, but the returns negligible unless you are willing to spend much much more. It's like buying a $600 audio cable, almost pointless for PC use.

TL;DR a decent soundcard will do the same thing an expensive DAC will.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:37:49 »
Your soundcard will make very little difference if you're already running a DAC separately, but since you're not the soundcard can replace any DAC for a fraction of the cost and almost unnoticeable quality difference. Any card would be fine, I used a simple Soundblaster X-fi Titanium with various amps for years before getting a standalone DAC, and when I did eventually cave and get one I barely noticed any improvement at all. Other audiophiles might try to justify spending hundreds more on a DAC for their computer setup, but the returns negligible unless you are willing to spend much much more. It's like buying a $600 audio cable, almost pointless for PC use.

I disagree with you... the better your headphone and amp is, the easier it is to hear the differences between dacs. Also the better your dac is, the better you'll be able to hear differences between amps. It also takes some experience to know what to listen for when comparing amps and dacs.

That being said though, the mixamp itself is a dac so getting a seperate soundcard won't really help you there for gaming.

Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:48:08 »

That being said though, the mixamp itself is a dac so getting a seperate soundcard won't really help you there for gaming.

Ah, true. Didn't even think about that.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 21:13:46 »
What's your reason for sticking to gaming headsets? You can achieve better quality with headphones and a separate mic, whether that be a desktop mic or something like a clip on.

Your setup seems complete as is unless you are looking to get a better pair of headphones.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 21:45:04 »

I disagree with you... the better your headphone and amp is, the easier it is to hear the differences between dacs. Also the better your dac is, the better you'll be able to hear differences between amps. It also takes some experience to know what to listen for when comparing amps and dacs.

I agree you could hear a difference, given different gear..

But whos to say one is better...  these are sonic-signatures... there's no agreed upon scaling system..

Which is why I consider much of the audiophile community snake oil..

I mean look at our own GH.. we got topre fanbois, aluminum fanbois, cc fanbois...

Offline bazemk1979

Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 21:54:02 »
Yeah hi-fi is very subjective but a dac with higher quality parts, dac chip, PSUs, implementation etc is GENERALLY better than one with inferior parts and implementation.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:59:54 »
What's your reason for sticking to gaming headsets? You can achieve better quality with headphones and a separate mic, whether that be a desktop mic or something like a clip on.

Your setup seems complete as is unless you are looking to get a better pair of headphones.

I like my Astros. I'm aware that I could get better quality, but I've tried clip-on mic before and its just not very good. People couldn't hear me very well and I don't want a desktop mic because I don't want background noise being picked up when I'm on Skype and Ventrilo. So I'm basically looking to get the best setup I can with my Astros + mixamp.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 23:19:43 »

I like my Astros. I'm aware that I could get better quality, but I've tried clip-on mic before and its just not very good. People couldn't hear me very well and I don't want a desktop mic because I don't want background noise being picked up when I'm on Skype and Ventrilo. So I'm basically looking to get the best setup I can with my Astros + mixamp.

Hmm if you are going to stick with the Astros, personally, I don't think putting any more money into the setup would make it worth while. I know you said you have tried clip-ons, but have you looked into the http://www.modmic.com I haven't used it personally but have seen many promising reviews for it.

Also in terms of a nice upcoming gaming headset you can look into Audio Technicas shot at it. (Budget-permitting :p)

http://audio-technica.com.au/products/gamers/ath-ag1/
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Larken

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 23:23:25 »

sounds like the lack of a good mic is the dealbreaker here for getting a better set of headphones.

I know this goes contrary to your stated requirements, but have you considered getting a modmic to pair with a better headphone? I'm afraid a new soundcard isn't going to do much for you, as several other posts have already pointed out.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 23:28:04 »
As stated, you don't need a sound card.
Headphones won't need a preamp until you're using studio quality and you won't need a sound card until after you have a decent preamp.
All of these things will run you over a thousand dollars.
Your setup is fine until you're using really expensive cans.
Mod mic is the way to go if you're using headphones/mic separate.
Unless you're getting studio quality there, too.

tl,dr: you're fine (unless you're dropping $1000+ on an audiophile rig.)

edit: $1000 estimate is including studio headphones that might actually benefit from a sound card.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 23:40:35 »
Headphones won't need a preamp until you're using studio quality and you won't need a sound card until after you have a decent preamp.

tl,dr: you're fine unless you're dropping $1000+ on an audiophile rig.

The $1000 comment is completely untrue. There are many amazing entry level setups that sound great for the price.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline missalaire

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 23:45:15 »

Hmm if you are going to stick with the Astros, personally, I don't think putting any more money into the setup would make it worth while. I know you said you have tried clip-ons, but have you looked into the http://www.modmic.com I haven't used it personally but have seen many promising reviews for it.

Also in terms of a nice upcoming gaming headset you can look into Audio Technicas shot at it. (Budget-permitting :p)

Yeah... no thanks on that Audio-Technica gaming headset :P I have looked at modmic before and have heard great things about it, but I don't think I would want to get into the audiophile hobby enough to want to spend more than what I paid for my Astros. I'm aware that the Audio Technica ATH-M50s are cheaper and have better quality sound, but I like how comfortable the Astros are and the mic quality without having to spend extra to get a modmic.

I want a sound card so I can take advantage of Dolby DTS.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 23:47:13 »

The $1000 comment is completely untrue. There are many amazing entry level setups that sound great for the price.

None of which the sound will be enhanced by, in your $100 headphones, by buying a sound card.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:06:34 »

None of which the sound will be enhanced by, in your $100 headphones, by buying a sound card.

"Headphones won't need a preamp until you're using studio quality and you won't need a sound card until after you have a decent preamp.
All of these things will run you over a thousand dollars."

I was simply commenting on this statement, but I see what you mean as well. :)
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:16:47 »
you always ignore advice when it comes to audio until somebody mentions something gaming related.

i don't get it. it should just be "tell me what i want to hear and not actual advice"

same thing happened when you were looking for headphones last time. you were told time and time again to purchase some good headphones and a mic as it'll be cheaper and sound better. but you went with the excuse of wanting all your stuff to match(? ? ? ?) and now you're asking for better sound quality.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:19:43 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:19:45 »
you always ignore advice when it comes to audio until somebody mentions something gaming related.

i don't get it.

I was very specific on the fact that I'm sticking to my Astro A40 gaming headset and MixAmp. I want a sound card that supports DDL and so I can take advantage of Dolby DTS.

I did not ask for advice on what better headphones I can buy or anything else of that matter. It's not my fault you can't see past that.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:20:21 »
see my edit.

binge already told you that nothing you add will make your headset sound better, so you'll just be wasting your money.

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:21:03 »

Yeah... no thanks on that Audio-Technica gaming headset :P I have looked at modmic before and have heard great things about it, but I don't think I would want to get into the audiophile hobby enough to want to spend more than what I paid for my Astros. I'm aware that the Audio Technica ATH-M50s are cheaper and have better quality sound, but I like how comfortable the Astros are and the mic quality without having to spend extra to get a modmic.

What? DTS is DTS, Dolby is another surround codec / logic.

Do you want Dolby Headphones / virtual surround? If so, your best bet is the Asus Xonar line, you can go creative for CMS 3D, which is better than dolby's implementation for games, but lacks in the Movie department.

As for your other comments, I'm using a cheapo $50 snowball mic, and everyone hears me loud and clear, so your argument regarding "gaming headsets" generally being better is invalid, in fact, most of the mics in gaming headsets are pretty mediocre. 

Offline missalaire

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:26:32 »
see my edit.

Pretty sure I still asked for a gaming headset then. I care about sound relevant to gaming. That's basically it. I don't need audiophile grade stuff for the best overall sound quality possible. From what I've been hearing, the MixAmp basically simulates Dolby surround.

Again, I stated what my current setup is and asked for recommendations on a sound card supporting DDL + so I can take advantage of Dolby DTS. If I wanted to get the best overall sound quality possible, I would have already done so by getting real headphones + modmic.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:29:26 »
see my edit.

I don't need audiophile grade stuff for the best overall sound quality possible.
this doesn't even make any sense.

again.

"tell me what i want to hear, not your opinion"

Offline missalaire

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:31:37 »

What? DTS is DTS, Dolby is another surround codec / logic.

Do you want Dolby Headphones / virtual surround? If so, your best bet is the Asus Xonar line, you can go creative for CMS 3D, which is better than dolby's implementation for games, but lacks in the Movie department.

As for your other comments, I'm using a cheapo $50 snowball mic, and everyone hears me loud and clear, so your argument regarding "gaming headsets" generally being better is invalid, in fact, most of the mics in gaming headsets are pretty mediocre.

I never said that gaming headset mics were better? O.o

Unless you were referring to stan, but please don't put words in my mouth that I did not say. I know the sound quality on mics on gaming headsets are pretty standard and nothing special. I said I was content with the mic quality on the Astros because they can pick up sound more easily than a clip on mic and unlike a desktop mic, are less likely to pick up on background noise.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:40:00 »
see my edit.

I don't need audiophile grade stuff for the best overall sound quality possible.
this doesn't even make any sense.

again.

"tell me what i want to hear, not your opinion"

I don't need something that will give me amazing sound for music and w/e else. I just want something to enhance my gaming.

How does that not make sense?

The Astro MixAmp doesn't support DTS, only Dolby Digital. I need a sound card to process DTS.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 01:06:34 »
Anyways, thanks for the feedback everyone. Think I'm settling on the ASUS Xonar D1 7.1. Figured out I just need something that has optical out and supports DDL mainly.

The 4th post on this Astro forums thread seems to suggest that there will be some benefit from a sound card.
http://forums.astrogaming.com/showthread.php?44397-Best-sound-card-for-Astro-A40-Mixamp-2013-edition

/thread