Author Topic: Where to buy Blank White PBT Keycaps?  (Read 15409 times)

Offline ViciousWhiskers

Where to buy Blank White PBT Keycaps?
« on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 21:54:26 »
Hey guys,
So I recently switched to a Ducky Shine 3 and sold my Zero Shine to my friend.
I wanted to know where I could buy blank, white PBT keycaps (104 Keys, + 4 media keys which is not important right now) for my Ducky Shine 3 for a fair price that does not exceed 60-ish Canadian dollars?
Mainly, I'd like to have the LED on my Ducky to be "present" and visible.

I've taken a look around the web and found a lot of blank black PBT keycaps and some white ones sold out, so I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction here.

Thanks!
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
Re: Where to buy Blank White PBT Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 22:00:41 »
Banggood.com search keycool keycaps

http://www.banggood.com/Keycool-104-PBT-White-Laser-Etched-Keycap-Laser-Engraving-Key-Caps-p-84161.html

okay, I just read blank white pbt. you're right, i couldn't find any of those :( too bad you need 104 key, because i have an 87 set of blank white pbts for sale.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 December 2013, 22:15:45 by Beca »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 01:27:25 »
Hey guys,
So I recently switched to a Ducky Shine 3 and sold my Zero Shine to my friend.
I wanted to know where I could buy blank, white PBT keycaps (104 Keys, + 4 media keys which is not important right now) for my Ducky Shine 3 for a fair price that does not exceed 60-ish Canadian dollars?
Mainly, I'd like to have the LED on my Ducky to be "present" and visible.

I've taken a look around the web and found a lot of blank black PBT keycaps and some white ones sold out, so I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction here.

Thanks!

the Thick IMSTO pbts are smoother than the KBC ones that have been linked..

however, I do believe most blank imsto blanks are "beige", only the printed ones were actually "White"

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 03:06:18 »
BangGood has cheap PBT blanks, you could also check out TaoBao, I think I recall seeing cheap blanks on there as well.
;)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 07:48:40 »
Bangood, taobao, ebay, classifieds

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 18:30:14 »
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll take a look around again! :)
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 01:09:33 »
Get thick PBT if you can. It makes a huge difference. The only blank thick PBT that I could find were the blue ones from geekfeng, but you can't browse his store right now because he's away until January 14. Here they are on my board. They feel amazing. http://i.imgur.com/o1UPAqc.jpg The lighting in that picture isn't the greatest. They actually look more colorful than that in real life.

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 12:58:33 »
There is also a grey set. Was also looking for PBT sets for my Ducky YOTS and found those two color sets on feng's ebay.
Even though you want white, Ivan has a black PBT keycap set GB going on.

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 20:00:54 »
I guess colours other than White is fine too, except for Black. I'd just like to have the LEDs feel more present and visible with new keycaps on, but I believe that black blocks the most of the light.

How much are the grey ones and blue ones?
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 20:03:03 »
About 80-90USD Shipped for each set

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 23:31:02 »
That's tough, it goes over my budget by 30 and I don't think I can afford that at the moment.

How much are blank white thick PBT usually priced around anyways?
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline geogga

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 20:28:33 »
Blanks are cheaper than letter, the normal brands like ducky or vortex have em at like $50?

Usually they're around 70, but GBs decrease price so that's another thing
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 January 2014, 22:31:29 by geogga »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 03:10:55 »
Feng has previously had 105-key blank white thick PBT sets for sale: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48588.0

Send him a PM to ask about availability and price I reckon.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 03:12:25 »
Feng has previously had 105-key blank white thick PBT sets for sale: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48588.0

Send him a PM to ask about availability and price I reckon.

they are beige

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 03:32:45 »
Hmmm.. Didn't know that. I still think it may be worth shooting off a PM to feng to ask. He may be able to get some proper white blanks.

It's easy enough to find top and side printed white PBT, but 104 and 105 key blank sets seem to be like hen's teeth at the moment.

Found a cheap blank white ABS set: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Cherry-MX-Blank-Keycaps-104-Set-Keyboard-Key-Caps-/121187906415?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item1c375cb36f

Top print: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/104PBT-white-printed-keycaps-for-Keyboard-Filco-Cherry-/300910270965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460fa659f5

Side print: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/104PBT-white-side-printed-keycaps-for-Keyboard-Filco-Cherry-/291001815528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c10f51e8

Not sure of the thickness and heaviness of the caps, though.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 05:07:38 »
Hmmm.. Didn't know that. I still think it may be worth shooting off a PM to feng to ask. He may be able to get some proper white blanks.

It's easy enough to find top and side printed white PBT, but 104 and 105 key blank sets seem to be like hen's teeth at the moment.

Found a cheap blank white ABS set: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Cherry-MX-Blank-Keycaps-104-Set-Keyboard-Key-Caps-/121187906415?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item1c375cb36f

Top print: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/104PBT-white-printed-keycaps-for-Keyboard-Filco-Cherry-/300910270965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460fa659f5

Side print: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/104PBT-white-side-printed-keycaps-for-Keyboard-Filco-Cherry-/291001815528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c10f51e8

Not sure of the thickness and heaviness of the caps, though.

I didn't know how much I like beige until I got it..   It reminded me of my Pentium 2 computer w/ turbo button..

Offline thestage

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 05:24:41 »
I've also been looking for blank white PBT caps recently.  All I've been able to do is plumb the depths of taobao resellers, but I'm not really sure of the quality and authenticity of what I've found.  For instance, these:

http://www.buychina.com/items/german-cherry-cherry-104-pbt-pure-white-non-engraved-keycap-original-height-chh-forum-specials-wpwprosnpih#

They claim to be authentic cherry profile keys direct from cherry, I think?  Anyone know anything about these, or similar items on taobao? 

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 07:16:58 »
Perhaps you could make up a full set from 2 of the Banggood 84 or 87 key sets? They're only medium thickness, but good quality for the price :)

That way you can also have the media keys.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 January 2014, 07:19:01 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 14:03:27 »
I've also been looking for blank white PBT caps recently.  All I've been able to do is plumb the depths of taobao resellers, but I'm not really sure of the quality and authenticity of what I've found.  For instance, these:

http://www.buychina.com/items/german-cherry-cherry-104-pbt-pure-white-non-engraved-keycap-original-height-chh-forum-specials-wpwprosnpih#

They claim to be authentic cherry profile keys direct from cherry, I think?  Anyone know anything about these, or similar items on taobao? 

this doesn't look like thick pbt..

Offline geogga

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 21:28:11 »
I wish I could explore Taobao, but even with google translate :pm, shipping and actually finding a way to get it here would be difficult...they have many nice things

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 02:18:42 »
I wish I could explore Taobao, but even with google translate :pm, shipping and actually finding a way to get it here would be difficult...they have many nice things

there are a few good taobao agents now that doesn't charge a % commission. and shipping's not bad. BUT, it's almost completely in Chinese, and the guy you call has really ****ty english, so you gotta talk asian to um'..

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:30:50 »
So I was actually considering those Keycool 104 pbt keycap sets on banggood with print on it. I feel that print is fine for me now, as long as the base colour is white. Well, now that my search is broadened, does anyone have suggestions for white PBT keycaps that are either blank or have print/side-print on them? I'd like them to be thick pbt, but definitely not thin. I've heard that banggood keycaps are not thin nor thick (medium) so I'm fine with that too. Thanks! :)
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 23:17:25 »
So I was actually considering those Keycool 104 pbt keycap sets on banggood with print on it. I feel that print is fine for me now, as long as the base colour is white. Well, now that my search is broadened, does anyone have suggestions for white PBT keycaps that are either blank or have print/side-print on them? I'd like them to be thick pbt, but definitely not thin. I've heard that banggood keycaps are not thin nor thick (medium) so I'm fine with that too. Thanks! :)

the thick thin medium makes no difference

It comes down to how well the stem is molded, which will ultimately affect the smoothness of the caps..

The IMSTO thick caps, even if they were thin, as long as the stem stayed the same in smoothness/quality, then they'd operate no differently..

Look up the reviewers, and ask them if they have a set of imsto to compare the stem smoothness to...

That's the most important... the thickness of the wall has 0 impact on the feel of the cap.

Offline Canious

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 04:21:20 »

the thick thin medium makes no difference

It comes down to how well the stem is molded, which will ultimately affect the smoothness of the caps..

The IMSTO thick caps, even if they were thin, as long as the stem stayed the same in smoothness/quality, then they'd operate no differently..

Look up the reviewers, and ask them if they have a set of imsto to compare the stem smoothness to...

That's the most important... the thickness of the wall has 0 impact on the feel of the cap.

Heavier keycaps do feel different. Just saying. I can back it up with SCIENCE if needed: http://store-xkcd-com.myshopify.com/products/science-works

Can also back it up with personal experience too, but that's just meh.

This set is sold by Qtan, can ask him how thick they are: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/104PBT-white-side-printed-keycaps-for-Keyboard-Filco-Cherry-/291001815528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c10f51e8
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline thestage

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 05:46:05 »
When I asked qtan if those were thick he said they were "regular"

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 20:46:25 »
So I looked around taobao a bit and found cherry profile white blanks
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.122.rPZ3uz&id=15288639174

Does anyone know if this will fit on my Ducky Shine 3?

Also, I found some side printed Keycool 104 keycaps (white), http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.128.YOnPcr&id=19027437880 .
Does anyone have experience with keycool caps? I would like some input and opinion on the feel and quality of these keycool caps. Since I've never tried custom keycaps, I also don't know if these keycool caps will fit on my Shine 3 or not.

Thanks!

Also, if you guys need help searching around on taobao, you can ask me as I am Chinese (though my expertise is limited).
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 02:33:21 »
The first set are the same as the ones posted by thestage, the side printed ones are the same ones qtan sells.

They are both medium thickness PBT.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 07:05:19 »
My bad, it seems I've missed thestage's first post with that link. Will the one that thestage and I linked (blank whites) fit on my Ducky Shine 3?
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline lilky

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 14:38:49 »
Banggood, or feng.

Offline Vaii

• wat
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:26:47 »
I have both banggoods pbt caps and also fengs' side printed pbt caps.
Both are very good quality (eventhough they differ in price).

Much better than ABS, but that is just my opinion.
wtb dark plushberry (mx) bbv2 / starcluster (mx) bbv2

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 18:49:41 »
Apparently neither imsto nor qtan have these in stock. I pm'd feng last week, but haven't received a response yet...
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline nkzt

• DIY dye-sub explorer
    • Keycap DIY
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 03:02:38 »
Just the same problem beats me. All the sellers seem to be not in stock. I've asked for SP, but the spacebar is ABS. Now I'm asking for Ducky.

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 13:23:19 »
I recently bought a cm storm rather than the new premier and I kind of regret my decision. I didn't expect the keycaps on this thing to be so bad, the lettering is sticking out and feels so uncomfortable.
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.