Author Topic: Breaking in MX Switches  (Read 10067 times)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Breaking in MX Switches
« on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 00:49:07 »
Just got a batch of new clears. Although I haven't installed them on my board, once I get my soldering equipment I'm going swap the stems with my filco (currently mx blues). I was planning to lube them, but I've heard lubing mx switches can affect their break-in time. Can anyone verify this? Should I type on the ergo clears for >1 month to break them in before lubing them? I'm installing a plate that allows taking the switch top off, so that wouldn't be a problem.
Any advice?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Breaking in MX Switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 01:05:43 »
Just got a batch of new clears. Although I haven't installed them on my board, once I get my soldering equipment I'm going swap the stems with my filco (currently mx blues). I was planning to lube them, but I've heard lubing mx switches can affect their break-in time. Can anyone verify this? Should I type on the ergo clears for >1 month to break them in before lubing them? I'm installing a plate that allows taking the switch top off, so that wouldn't be a problem.
Any advice?

use it for a YEAR, before you lube for maximum smoothness..

If you consistently play typing games for 30mins per day...  you may consider lubing in 4-6 months...

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 01:09:20 »
That ^

They need friction to wear them smoother.  Lubing them will decrease the friction and will lessen the wear.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 01:26:25 »
Try your Clears as single switches: do you feel any grittiness/friction pressing on a switch?  If they are fairly smooth to start with, I think you can lube right away.  I have a super gritty MX Red switch in my CM switch tester, and if I had to use switches like that, I'd definitely give them a month or two of use without any lubricants.  Clears I've tried from a few batches have been fairly smooth vs. Some particularly gritty batches of linear switches and Browns.  I'm guessing you'll be ok to lube your Clears right away.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:37:33 »
use it for a YEAR, before you lube for maximum smoothness..

:(

Try your Clears as single switches: do you feel any grittiness/friction pressing on a switch?  If they are fairly smooth to start with, I think you can lube right away.  I have a super gritty MX Red switch in my CM switch tester, and if I had to use switches like that, I'd definitely give them a month or two of use without any lubricants.  Clears I've tried from a few batches have been fairly smooth vs. Some particularly gritty batches of linear switches and Browns.  I'm guessing you'll be ok to lube your Clears right away.

No, the clears are not gritty at all. I obsessively actuated one in particular (I'd say a couple hundred times) just to see the immediate difference in smoothness. The tactile bump feels a bit nicer, a bit smoother, but in general they don't really feel gritty at all.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:55:33 »
Also, in this lubing video, DanGWanG does not lube the part of the switch with the physical bump (that wears down after use). If I lube using this method, the smoothness is just from eliminating extra friction from the sliders/other moving parts, correct?

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 12:48:13 »
bump

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 12:59:38 »
You don't need to bump your own threads, especially after such a short time.

See this video

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:19:21 »
You don't need to bump your own threads, especially after such a short time.

See this video

I bumped it because it was already getting buried.

Did you read my original post? And the first few responses? I don't think you understand my question. I'm not just trying to understand how to lube switches.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:21:30 »
I bumped it because it was already getting buried.

Did you read my original post? And the first few responses? I don't think you understand my question. I'm not just trying to understand how to lube switches.

I have and I understand your question perfectly well--have you seen my first reply?  :rolleyes:  We have a sticky for a thread about switch lubrication and related--you can post there.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:21:41 »
I have ergo clears right now. I typed on the stock clears for about 2 weeks before switching to lubed ergo clears. I wasn't thinking so much about wearing them in, but instead that I wanted to see what clears felt like before switching to ergo clears.

I'm sure they're not maximally worn in now that they're already lubed, but I'm having trouble imagining the world in which I can tell the difference; they're exceptionally smooth.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:24:11 »
I have ergo clears right now. I typed on the stock clears for about 2 weeks before switching to lubed ergo clears. I wasn't thinking so much about wearing them in, but instead that I wanted to see what clears felt like before switching to ergo clears.

I'm sure they're not maximally worn in now that they're already lubed, but I'm having trouble imagining the world in which I can tell the difference; they're exceptionally smooth.

Good to know. Thanks! How long have you had these lubed ergos?
Also, did you lube everything (like in WFD's video) or did you lube just the sliders/spring location (as in Dan's video)?
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:26:26 by 1pq »

Offline nzhao20

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:37:19 »
Lube what you feel is necessary, a lot of people don't even lube their switches. I think lubing is probably a huge hassle to do, and is really only necessary on ergo clears if you are using 62g springs or below.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:40:05 »
Lube what you feel is necessary, a lot of people don't even lube their switches. I think lubing is probably a huge hassle to do, and is really only necessary on ergo clears if you are using 62g springs or below.

A lot of people don't lube their switches. I've been spoiled by topre though, I can't handle the scratchiness of unlubed MXes :P
I'm also using stock springs from a mx blue board, so I may need to lubricate in order to get proper switch returns.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 13:46:46 »

Also, did you lube everything (like in WFD's video) or did you lube just the sliders/spring location (as in Dan's video)?

I've only had the ergos for a bit more than a month, I'd think. As far as lubing locations go, it was more like Dan's video. I lubed the springs with Victorinox multi-tool oil and the sliders/stems with a Krytox GPL 103/205 mix.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 14:38:41 »

I've only had the ergos for a bit more than a month, I'd think. As far as lubing locations go, it was more like Dan's video. I lubed the springs with Victorinox multi-tool oil and the sliders/stems with a Krytox GPL 103/205 mix.

See, if you did it using Dan's method, you didn't lube the bump at all, so you should still be wearing it down, making it smoother...I think. I'd just be curious of tp4 or PointyFox have anything to say about that.

How do you like the feel of lubed ergo clears? Supposed to be god-tier for mx :P
I hope it will get as much use as my topre boards since I'm spending so much time modding it haha

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 14:45:23 »
See, if you did it using Dan's method, you didn't lube the bump at all, so you should still be wearing it down, making it smoother...I think. I'd just be curious of tp4 or PointyFox have anything to say about that.

How do you like the feel of lubed ergo clears? Supposed to be god-tier for mx :P
I hope it will get as much use as my topre boards since I'm spending so much time modding it haha

Sorry, I didn't watch the video all the way through. I did lube the bump.

I love my ergo clears. 67g, so a bit heavier than usual (nubbinator's excitement for 67g convinced me), but still very smooth and pleasant.

I'm trying ergo whites next, which is a bit of an experiment and is not, to my knowledge, something commonly done. We'll see how they hold up compared to ergo clears.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 00:32:08 »

I love my ergo clears. 67g, so a bit heavier than usual (nubbinator's excitement for 67g convinced me), but still very smooth and pleasant.

I'm trying ergo whites next, which is a bit of an experiment and is not, to my knowledge, something commonly done. We'll see how they hold up compared to ergo clears.

How does the tactility of the 67g clears compare to 62g and stock springs?

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 00:46:03 »

I think that the stock springs and the 67g springs should feel the same

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 00:48:19 »

Generally, the stiffer springs you go, the less tactility. If you want maximum tactility, I would go as low as 55g lubed but no lower. 55g feels amazing for typing but not so much for gaming because slower key releases can lead to the "sticking" feeling. If you lube however, it won't stick with 55g, at least for 1x1 keys. I find 62g to be the perfectly balanced spring for lubed ergo clears when typing/gaming.

Regarding break-in, pretty much what tp4 said. I'd say if you want to cut corners, just use/try for about a two months stock, at least, and then lube later.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 01:19:46 »
Generally, the stiffer springs you go, the less tactility. If you want maximum tactility, I would go as low as 55g lubed but no lower. 55g feels amazing for typing but not so much for gaming because slower key releases can lead to the "sticking" feeling. If you lube however, it won't stick with 55g, at least for 1x1 keys. I find 62g to be the perfectly balanced spring for lubed ergo clears when typing/gaming.

Regarding break-in, pretty much what tp4 said. I'd say if you want to cut corners, just use/try for about a two months stock, at least, and then lube later.

Very good to know, thank you!
I guess I'll just have to tough it out for a couple of months (or more) before I lube 'em. Since I don't game a lot, though, I might try some 55g springs. Will stock blue springs (~60g I think) stick without lube?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 01:54:57 »

Very good to know, thank you!
I guess I'll just have to tough it out for a couple of months (or more) before I lube 'em. Since I don't game a lot, though, I might try some 55g springs. Will stock blue springs (~60g I think) stick without lube?

Sigh....

stick is not "often" an issue.. How often do you "rely" on a double tap anyway.. almost never...

if you lube everything "but" the bump, under the intention that you'll lube the bump later.... that means you've opened and closed the switch TWICE...

1__remove key cap, open switch, remove stem, remove spring, apply lube, close, reapply keycap

2_____remove key cap, open switch, remove stem, apply lube, close

THAT is 2x the ton of work..Freaking 2-3 hours each time if you don't rush it..   if you want to do that to yourself... by all means...

NO it's NOT fun... and it hurts ur finger tips.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 02:01:46 »
if you lube everything "but" the bump, under the intention that you'll lube the bump later.... that means you've opened and closed the switch TWICE...

These two times will be separated by >4 months though...lol
So...would this method make the switches as smooth as wearing them in unlubed?

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 21:25:03 »
I just started modding the switches. Unfortunately, with the stock blue springs, the clear stems tend to stick on the return. Should I wear them in on the stock springs, and only change to the lighter springs when I lube, after they have been sufficiently worn down from use?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 21:27:08 »
I just started modding the switches. Unfortunately, with the stock blue springs, the clear stems tend to stick on the return. Should I wear them in on the stock springs, and only change to the lighter springs when I lube, after they have been sufficiently worn down from use?

The sticking issue is one of the main reasons ergo clears are almost always lubed. I personally used the stock springs for a while and lubed them when I switched to a lighter spring.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 21:33:51 »
Aww man. I'm not much of a heavy typist, but I guess I'll just have to break these in on stock springs :(

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 00:14:29 »
Yeah, you might as well. Less work, and you'll get to appreciate the finished product more too :) Who knows, you might even learn to love stiffer switches :P

Offline Surnia

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 07:54:05 »
I find blacks break in about 1 month or so. Granted that's on a work board, so that might see more use on a normal basis... probably less than most guys here. I think a similar time frame for the tactile switches, after two days at work my gf's Poker II in browns already felt much better than when they arrived. I have another brown board sitting at my mom's computer, and that one feels great for tactility (1~ year with me, 1+ with her). I cannot speak from a modded perspective (or a Topre user), but I really don't think MX needs lubing for a good while. Arguably my filco might need some soon because its about a year old now, but I wouldn't do that on the "tactile" arms, rather just on the slider sides.

Had a couple of sampler keys, and I will stress that lubing the bump TOO much will cause the bump to "disappear". My clear tester is now nearly linear because the grease I used (Superlube, teflon based) seems to be taking ALL tactility out of it.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 09:54:00 »
Yeah, you might as well. Less work, and you'll get to appreciate the finished product more too :) Who knows, you might even learn to love stiffer switches :P

Unfortunately, the clears I bought are pcb mounted, so I have to take each one apart and swap the springs and stems into the board's original housings. So, just as much work lol

Offline Proc31

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 10:00:51 »

Unfortunately, the clears I bought are pcb mounted, so I have to take each one apart and swap the springs and stems into the board's original housings. So, just as much work lol

Could you not just chop the extra legs off?

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 10:12:30 »

Oh I hadn't considered that. What would you use to do that, a knife?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 10:17:09 »

Oh I hadn't considered that. What would you use to do that, a knife?

flush cutters

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 10:26:07 »
lol thanks guys. I'm a total noob at modding mx switches, and you just saved me SOOO much time opening up switches.