Author Topic: Android 4.4 (KitKat)  (Read 9473 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Android 4.4 (KitKat)
« on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 17:05:03 »
What are you thoughts on the new KitKat 4.4 Android OS? I'm really looking forward to the update, some nice looking UI changes and the texting looks nicer. From what I've been reading, it looks like it might get pushed out from carriers later this month?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Android 4.4 (KitKat)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 17:14:24 »
I'm always 1 behind...

I am afraid of change..

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 17:17:11 »
I've been rocking 4.4.2 on my moto g for a while now.

The OS is a lot more polished than my galaxy nexus which is running 4.2, and a lot faster but specs probably come into play there.

The new dialer and translucent topbar are my favorite parts of the update.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 17:35:04 »
Running well on my N4. I like the colour theme a lot. White~beige > that blue for the top bar. :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline osi

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 17:40:01 »
4.4.2 on my nexus 7 for a while. Seems snappier--could be placebo. I'm happy with it

Offline Malphas

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 17:41:36 »
I've had it for a while on a Nexus 4. Nothing that exciting. The photo sphere thing came in handy (only just noticed it recently, and assuming it was introduced with Kit Kat).

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 19:53:55 »
One thing I do not like is the new Toast look. I love immersive mode, still need to add itinto my app, haven't gotten around to it.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/ Browns + White LEDs

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 02:16:05 »
One thing I do not like is the new Toast look. I love immersive mode, still need to add itinto my app, haven't gotten around to it.

the apps are holding me back.. I got too many achem... unupdatable apps..

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 02:21:37 »
Any of y'all gone into developer mode and enabled the ART runtime instead of Dalvik. It did wonders for my battery life on both Nexus 5 and Nexus 4.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 02:30:49 »
4.4.2 is great  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 05:28:34 »
Any of y'all gone into developer mode and enabled the ART runtime instead of Dalvik. It did wonders for my battery life on both Nexus 5 and Nexus 4.

could you clarify this? what does it do...

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 06:45:56 »
I've had it for a while on a Nexus 4. Nothing that exciting. The photo sphere thing came in handy (only just noticed it recently, and assuming it was introduced with Kit Kat).

Photosphere was introduced in Jelly Bean, it was a launch feature of the Nexus 4.

could you clarify this? what does it do...

Dalvik runtime is a JIT runtime, compiling the program as you run it. ART runtime is precompiled (takes forever to compile upon first boot after changing the runtime, or after an OS update) but it's worth it for the savings in battery life, and the slight (but noticable) speed increase that occurs. There are some compatibility issues though, specifically with WhatsApp and some games. I've not come across any compatibility issues, since I don't use WhatsApp and rarely use my phone for games.

Definitely worth using, especially for the speed increase it gives when switching between apps.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 06:49:08 »
I want it on my Note 3. :(
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 13:13:55 »

Photosphere was introduced in Jelly Bean, it was a launch feature of the Nexus 4.

Then I didn't notice anything significant with KitKat whatsoever. I'm going to go and switch runtimes though after reading the comments here.

Offline dante

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 13:22:24 »
I'm always 1 behind...

I am afraid of change..

Fear not.  I'm still sporting a flip cell-phone.

I NEED MUH BUTTONS!

Offline iri

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 13:33:16 »

Then I didn't notice anything significant with KitKat whatsoever
AOT compilation.
i can't believe they finally made it.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Glissant

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:56:56 »
I've been running 4.4 ever since slim started compiling theirs, and I must say the white has grown on me. And since I am running it on my SGS4 it is a million times (scientifically proven) faster than touchjizz.

I am going to try for a nexus device on my next upgrade, but the 5 is just not worth it when I have the SGS4.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:14:00 »
I've been running 4.4 ever since slim started compiling theirs, and I must say the white has grown on me. And since I am running it on my SGS4 it is a million times (scientifically proven) faster than touchjizz.

I am going to try for a nexus device on my next upgrade, but the 5 is just not worth it when I have the SGS4.

give sgs4 to mom...  nx5 is the best android experience possible, and people won't think you're a cheater by proxy because samsung cheats in their benchmarks.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:22:33 »

give sgs4 to mom...  nx5 is the best android experience possible, and people won't think you're a cheater by proxy because samsung cheats in their benchmarks.

Show Image

Nexus 5 camera is as crap as the Nexus 4 camera. Peak android experience my eye.

I've not had a good Android phone since the Nexus One

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:26:44 »

Show Image

Nexus 5 camera is as crap as the Nexus 4 camera. Peak android experience my eye.

l33t android users don't take pictures...  that's only there for the n00bs...

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:30:18 »

Show Image

l33t android users don't take pictures...  that's only there for the n00bs...

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 20:12:51 »
All smartphone cameras are crap tier anyways.
4.4.2 did make some camera improvements though.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 20:16:19 »

That would be fine except the iPhone camera is leagues ahead of every other smartphone and some budget point and shoots. If they we're all bad that'd be one thing but use the camera on an iPhone 5(s/c) and tell me it's in the same tier as even the best Android cameras.

Smartphone cameras aren't about superb quality they're about having a camera at the ready. Android cameras fail at this utterly.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 20:34:31 »

That would be fine except the iPhone camera is leagues ahead of every other smartphone and some budget point and shoots. If they we're all bad that'd be one thing but use the camera on an iPhone 5(s/c) and tell me it's in the same tier as even the best Android cameras.

Smartphone cameras aren't about superb quality they're about having a camera at the ready. Android cameras fail at this utterly.

I think I know what you mean. The iPhone's "software stabilizer" and auto focus is pretty good. Android's stock camera is terrible in that department.
4.2.2 significantly addressed that and I hope they make more improvements.

Pictures that are taken on the iPhone do look better when you view them through the iPhone screen.
Once you actually export the images and look at them side by side with shots taken from comparative androids, there's practically very little difference though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 21:18:57 »

I think I know what you mean. The iPhone's "software stabilizer" and auto focus is pretty good. Android's stock camera is terrible in that department.
4.2.2 significantly addressed that and I hope they make more improvements.

Pictures that are taken on the iPhone do look better when you view them through the iPhone screen.
Once you actually export the images and look at them side by side with shots taken from comparative androids, there's practically very little difference though.

This is stupid,   when comparing cellphone cameras, you're essentially ranking poo among other slightly-less poo...

It's like comparing which laptop has better keyboards...   Yes there is a ranking, but they're all crummy in the end...

Egdx 4 life

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 22:17:08 »
This is stupid,   when comparing cellphone cameras, you're essentially ranking poo among other slightly-less poo...

It's like comparing which laptop has better keyboards...   Yes there is a ranking, but they're all crummy in the end...

Egdx 4 life
Show Image

Challenge accepted.
Panda Poo is worth than Monkey Poo ... and probably worth a fortune!
I'm 100% sure of it.

Actually some poo is great for fertilizer and has great value.
Oh that reminds me, I need some coyote urine because stupid bunnies are destroying my juniper ferns.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 22:27:41 by the1onewolf »

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 06:42:57 »

Show Image

The Nexus 5 camera is actually quite a lot better than the Nexus 4 camera. I know this, because I have used both as my main phone.

all taken with my Nexus 5

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 10:44:59 »

Show Image

The Nexus 5 camera is actually quite a lot better than the Nexus 4 camera. I know this, because I have used both as my main phone.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Those are lovely! All the more proof that it's the photographer not the camera that makes or breaks the shot. And yeah, the camera hardware is a definite step forward.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 23:11:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Those are lovely! All the more proof that it's the photographer not the camera that makes or breaks the shot. And yeah, the camera hardware is a definite step forward.

thanks! I do try to take some nice shots, would like to get a proper camera but I already have quite a few expensive hobbies... don't need to add DSLR bodies and lenses into the mix as well!

my nexus 5 will have to suffice, but it does a pretty okay job

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 08:53:14 »

Egdx 4 life
Show Image

Challenge accepted.
I'm 100% sure of it.

Oh that reminds me, I need some coyote urine because stupid bunnies are destroying my juniper ferns.

On mythbusters they tested tiger poo i think, and it doesn't deter cats...  so... how sure is the coyote poo to work.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:33:41 »

Egdx 4 life
Show Image

Challenge accepted.
I'm 100% sure of it.

On mythbusters they tested tiger poo i think, and it doesn't deter cats...  so... how sure is the coyote poo to work.

It's urine not poo! Get your **** right  :p. Apparently because coyotes are natural rabbit predators so it scares the rabbits off (that's what the interwebs tell me).

I took a photo-sphere with my Nexus 4 in the middle of times square at 3am or something. That was pretty cool!

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:48:10 »
I came to this thread looking for KitKat's.

I am sadly disappointed :(

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:56:01 »

Show Image

I don't know why we don't get this cool **** in the states.
It's like kitkat thinks we muricans only want manly dark chocolate I mean ... wafer biscuit .... goods.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:00:02 »

Show Image

It's like kitkat thinks we muricans only want manly dark chocolate I mean ... wafer biscuit .... goods.

The more I hear about all the cool KitKat flavors I think, what the hell Nestle? My Japanese friends come the US and they're mystified at all the different options we have for soft-drinks, among other things. I guess Nestle thinks American's don't like candy?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:05:22 »

Show Image

The more I hear about all the cool KitKat flavors I think, what the hell Nestle? My Japanese friends come the US and they're mystified at all the different options we have for soft-drinks, among other things. I guess Nestle thinks American's don't like candy?

Except all our soft drinks are the same thing. It's like Pepsi vs coke, sprite vs 7-up, Sunkist vs that other dude's orange soda etc etc. Actually now that I think about it ... we do have alot of soda it's just not in restaurants because they have a particular exclusive contract/sponsor. Those drink bar things in Japan are pretty cool though. I want my melon soda.

Offline wuqe

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:54:08 »
I'm enjoying KitKat... on my Galaxy S. Google says they've optimized for limited-RAM devices, and it sure seems to work better on my aged 512MB-of-ram S. Sweet!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:56:01 »
I'm enjoying KitKat... on my Galaxy S. Google says they've optimized for limited-RAM devices, and it sure seems to work better on my aged 512MB-of-ram S. Sweet!

nexus fah fah fah fah 5 .

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 21:28:01 »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

nexus fah fah fah fah 5
Show Image

Yep.
Nexus 5 is so gooooood.
My battery life on the 5 is great.

I almost decided not to upgrade from the Nexus 4 too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2014, 15:49:24 by the1onewolf »

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 06:22:10 »
Nexus 5 here I come.

Offline thadood

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 10:42:14 »
I jumped ship from Sprint/iPhone 5 to T-Mobile/Nexus 5. I had a Samsung Epic 4G before the iPhone - and let me say that the user experience has dramatically improved. I was constantly aggravated with the Epic, mainly due to Android. Now, however, I don't even have an urge to put a custom ROM on it to see any sort of improvement. I love this thing. Also switched from Dalvik to ART the other day and noticed a touch faster response times and better battery life.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 19:41:19 »
I used to change custom roms on my nexus 4 every week but that got to be too much of a pain in the ass even with tibu.
I think I was into custom roms because of how buggy 4.2 and 4.3 were.
My nexus 10 had so many soft freezes. My nexus 4 had 3 hours of battery.
Man those days were bad.
Oh and changing kernels also killed your battery life for the first 1-2 charge cycles.

I'm glad I no longer have to do that anymore.

4.4 is really a nice improvement over the derpy nature of android 4.2 and 4.3..
The one thing I do miss about not having a custom rom is not being able to adust the navbar in stock.
Transparent navbar on the homescreen has made things better though.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 19:43:42 »
What about xposed module?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 19:50:01 »
What about xposed module?
That requires root, which disables OTA and some other convenient things.
So that's the trade off.
I think at that point might as well just get a custom rom with xposed modules or something similar baked in.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2014, 20:32:36 by the1onewolf »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 10:40:12 »
I'm trying to install the cyanogenmod on my galaxy s4, I have the latest update from AT&T which is 4.3. I'm having a hard time rooting the phone, is this because of Knox?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 05:33:12 »
I think that is because you have a boot loader that is locked.
You will be able to install only a few custom roms. You should check the appropriate forum at xda-developers for more info.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:35:30 »
(Attachment Link)

nexus fah fah fah fah 5
Show Image

Yep.
Nexus 5 is so gooooood.
My battery life on the 5 is great.

I almost decided not to upgrade from the Nexus 4 too.
During the weekend I get 1d+ and 3+ hours of screen time...
I'm waiting for my Micro SD to mini usb to flash elementalX and Mahdi rom...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 16:37:12 »
So AT&T finally rolled out Kitkat to my telephono. I really like the ability to use whichever launcher I choose, using KK google experience launcher at the moment, like it so far. I'm now on the hunt for a cooler looking text message app to replace this ugly Samsung one..

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 19:20:31 »
I'm having some trouble trying to get RealRacing 3 to work with Art... According to interwebs it's supposed to work...  :(

Offline Glissant

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 07:41:27 »
So AT&T finally rolled out Kitkat to my telephono. I really like the ability to use whichever launcher I choose, using KK google experience launcher at the moment, like it so far. I'm now on the hunt for a cooler looking text message app to replace this ugly Samsung one..

Have a look at Hello sms. Maybe you'll like it =).

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 15:14:02 »
You can use google hangouts - it replaced the stock text messenger on stock phones.
There's no google voice integration though which is a downside for me.