Author Topic: Sad pandas  (Read 2735 times)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Sad pandas
« on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 21:42:45 »
So backspace goes chatter chatter.

I try to fix backspace.

I fix backspace.

I put top of housing back on switch.

Housing doesn't go on. Uh oh.

I push a little harder. Even more uh oh.

Uh oh.

Sad pandas :(
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Re: Sad pandas
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 21:46:25 »
Help/suggestions are very appreciated. Unfortunately, this means my favorite board is now out of commission for the moment.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 21:52:09 »
I'm guessing you had the switch top backwards when you tried to pit it back on?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 21:54:13 »
Perhaps a switch replacement is in order.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 21:55:58 »
I'm guessing you had the switch top backwards when you tried to pit it back on?

Could very well be; honestly I don't remember. Maybe I put it on at a bad angle or something. You're probably right though.

Perhaps a switch replacement is in order.

Yeah, I think that's what it's going to have to be. I'd try to bend it back, but I think it's at the point of no return.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 January 2014, 21:57:48 by 1pq »

Offline Sai

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 22:00:22 »
with some patience, you can turn it back to the way it was. the samething happened to me when i was changing spring in my poker.
all i can advise is bend it back so that the two leaves(?) can make contact with the stem and it should be working fine.
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 22:06:40 »
with some patience, you can turn it back to the way it was. the samething happened to me when i was changing spring in my poker.
all i can advise is bend it back so that the two leaves(?) can make contact with the stem and it should be working fine.

Ooh, bacon of hope! Thank you sir!
What sort of tool did you use? Tweezers? I'm finding it pretty hard to do that with my fingers.

Offline Sai

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 22:17:10 »
i think i used small screwdrivers with flat head.  i can't remember what i did exactly though.  :-X
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 23:34:05 »
I've done this before, wasn't able to fix it and ended up soldering in a new switch. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 23:38:57 »
HAHAHAHAH....

1pq how far u from NJ.. I fix 4 u 4 free... cuz u rite funny story.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 00:52:00 »
That has happened to me once. I would replace the switch.
A leaf spring that has been bent will make the switch chatter more.
🍉

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:10:23 »
I did that to a switch while modding my board. Bent it back and made it functional, but it felt a little different from the others, so I replaced the switch in the end.

I believe you could get it functional, but suggest replacing it when you have a replacement switch available.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:57:47 »
I have had similar experiences but never with Cherry MX switch. My case was with leaf springs in APC membrane, all it took were just tweezers and comparing against a normal leaf spring so that one can sort of bend it back the way it was.

Failing that I would just swap the faulty spring with a key that is not so heavily used. For me, the keys that I could play with were mostly right {Ctrl,Alt} along with Scroll Lock. That way I won't have to worry too much about hitting a faulty spring which causes undesired effects.

In my case with APC membrane, I had a few bent leaf springs (in various ways) so I decided to get handy with a pair to tweezers. Comparing one by one and bending them back into shape plus testing to make sure the keys do not stick or fails to rebounce (as the "fingers" on the leaf springs in my case gets caught in the helical spring). For the rest of the ones that were still faulty every now and then (even after trying to bend them back into shape only to see they do not work properly), I swapped them on hardly used keys.

Worst case scenario is to order some replacements, at least for Cherry MX they are still being manufactured. In my case with rare(r) springs I have to make do with whatever option seems to be the most viable.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 15:16:04 »
Strange it have chatter. It was brand new keyboard, and I didn't notice anything when I test it in aqua to see if everything was working when I tried to change lock led to in switch. If you are not confident to repair it properly I will do so if you want to send it back to me.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 15:20:37 »
Is that platemount? That might be your problem.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 15:22:14 »

its PCB mount

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 16:03:14 »

Nope, PCB

Strange it have chatter. It was brand new keyboard, and I didn't notice anything when I test it in aqua to see if everything was working when I tried to change lock led to in switch. If you are not confident to repair it properly I will do so if you want to send it back to me.

That's very nice of you to offer! I've experienced chatter on three switches so far. It's not very consistent, but I've found that it's worse when I float around the actuation point (which will often spam letters). I've tested the other switches in the same way, which only actuate once, even when floating slowly in the middle. I'm not exactly sure of the best way to repair it--I just tried moving the leaf slightly out of position and back, and that seemed to work for the two switches I successfully repaired. Is there a better way of doing this, though?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 12:03:23 »
I would just replace the switch entirely. If the contact leafs become deformed somehow, even if you managed to adjust the leaf it is likely to reoccur.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:21:41 »
Oh :(
There's nowhere I could buy just switch housings, then, right? I hope this doesn't end up getting expensive...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 15:04:57 »
You only need one switch - if you ask nicely, someone might give you one :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 15:08:58 »

go around begging for 1 keyswitch?  that's being a bit tooooo-cheap...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 16:13:07 »

go around begging for 1 keyswitch?  that's being a bit tooooo-cheap...
Show Image

Not begging, just asking.

Doesn't hurt to ask, there are some generous people here who might have a few spare switches.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 16:19:59 »

Well, according to Ivan, I should replace all switches that were chattering, even the ones I "fixed," since the problem will probably reoccur. And if it was occurring in three of the switches, it will probably happen with a couple more...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 17:04:03 »

Well, according to Ivan, I should replace all switches that were chattering, even the ones I "fixed," since the problem will probably reoccur. And if it was occurring in three of the switches, it will probably happen with a couple more...

Hmmm ... also I notice Ivan has offered to do it for you (most likely including supplying the switches).

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 19:56:20 »
Yeah, I just PM'd him. Thanks for everyone's thoughts, though.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 20:53:35 »
On second thought, ever since I'd switched to colemak, I'd wanted to try backspace on Caps Lock. This is my chance to switch, I guess :))