Author Topic: WASDkeyboard V2 87-keys and 104-keys, my findings  (Read 9277 times)

Offline user888

WASDkeyboard V2 87-keys and 104-keys, my findings
« on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 05:13:46 »
After leeching for weeks on this forum, it’s time for me to do something back.

I ordered two WASDKeyboards for me (87 keys) and my colleague (104 keys), both for use with a Mac.
Rationale for a mechanical keyboard: we both work in the software business (long programming sessions). Last few years I started to develop wrist problems. Looking back they started when using the MacBook and Apple Wireless keyboards. I always found those keyboards great, but after testing a few weeks on a (mushy, or in Dutch ‘zompig’) Logitech PC keyboard my wrist problems are far less.

Customizations

I designed two key sets. For him one resembling the Mac layout closely. For me, I tweaked the design a little:

- Symbols instead of text as much as possible
- Blanks keys for the alphas (rationale: I’m testing with colemak layout)
- Purple keys for asdf and jkl; (when in qwerty layout) for aiding with homing my fingers
- Capslock = CTRL (using (linux) command line a lot)
- Using Fn as ‘menu’ key, soft-mapped function keys with KeyremapForMacBook (so I’ve got the same behaviour as on the original keyboard)
- Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDown is mapped as Copy/Delete/Home/End/Cut/Paste as plain text
- I’ve created my own symbols for copy/cut/paste

After trying the sample switches we both decided for the Blue MX switches. We were afraid of the sound, but decided to go for it as we are the only two in the office. And the sound (with red o-rings)? I like it. You only hear the high-pitched clicks.

My findings

- I ordered a separate key puller which is not needed as one per keyboard is included already
- I also ordered the wrist rest. It’s foam, feels good but I’m not sure how long it will live. It does smell though, like glue in a chinese wet-suit factory. Not that I’ve been there, but just guessing. At least I’m getting a little high of the smell.
- We ordered red o-rings on Ebay, to save money. These o-rings are of the same quality and thinkness. Not sure if I do it again because it takes quite some time to mount them. I did create a tool for it by the way: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:227327 (also check out my MX switch demo strip: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:222875)

- Very robust (no flex at all)
- Print is very good, I was afraid for the smallest icons, but they came out more than fine. The print (on the black keys) is really white. Not yellowish/brown.
- Typing is delicious (coming from Apple wireless keyboard and last two weeks on a membrane keyboard)
- My U-key is not always resetting like the other keys. Will see if it improves otherwise will contact WASDKeyboards about it
- The finishing of the case is matte black, which is very great looking. Not sure how finger grease wil workout around the cursor keys.
- I also ordered blank keycaps which do differ a bit in finish. The default keys are of a glossy/satin finish (both the black and purple) and the separately ordered blank key caps  (also both the black and purple) are more matte. I think it has something to do with the printing. Not a big deal, I think it will wear out after a while
- Detachable cable is fine, not sure if you need to detach/attach it a lot because I thing the USB connector will wear out. A paracord style cable would be even better.

The pictures don’t do the keyboards real justice though.

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:21:05 by user888 »

Offline user888

Re: WASDkeyboard V2 87-keys and 104-keys, my findings
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 05:54:13 »
I contacted WASDKeyboards regarding the faulty switch. Mr. Kwong replied immediately and offered me to repair it or to send a new switch so I can repair it myself. Great service.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 06:09:42 »
Cool review...

Get ready to buy more stuff...

Thick PBT caps,  dyesub, blanks

double-shot-caps

Stabilizer grease

stylized USB cable

more keyboards in different switches

moddable plate

Soldering tools

Mx clear , Mx white switches

Custom PCB,

Build programmable customs..

Your Journey has Just Begun..

Offline Proc31

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 06:14:56 »
Nice little review, it's always nice to hear about company practices rather than just the products.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 02:17:40 »
Great review.

I especially appreciate that you have designed your own keycaps.

I have also designed mine, sent the SVG to WASD Keyboards and... I'm still waiting for the keycaps. They have been shipped on Jan 9, but since the 11th they seem to be stuck in Miami.

So I can at least look at your pictures, it gives me a taste of how my set will look like. I was wondering about the print color, the resolution, and about the coating they apply on top of the printed keys. The white looks white enough for me (they warn it's not perfectly white), the resolution is as good as I expected, and the coating looks OK (a bit shiny maybe).

Thanks!

Offline user888

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 06:19:49 »
Thanks. I spent quite some time designing. I used iDraw on a Mac, then exported it to SVG, imported it in the template in Inkscape (which I find dreadful to use), ungrouped it twice and put it in the correct place.

The print is very good, really white (on the purple keys it's black). The resolution is superb: the smallest artwork is the brightness icon on the F1 key and it's 'rendered' perfectly. Mr Weyman of WASD mentioned that he is using a newer laser etching method and not all pictures on the site have been updated (like those of the custom artwork keys).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 07:58:01 »
Thanks. I spent quite some time designing. I used iDraw on a Mac, then exported it to SVG, imported it in the template in Inkscape (which I find dreadful to use), ungrouped it twice and put it in the correct place.

The print is very good, really white (on the purple keys it's black). The resolution is superb: the smallest artwork is the brightness icon on the F1 key and it's 'rendered' perfectly. Mr Weyman of WASD mentioned that he is using a newer laser etching method and not all pictures on the site have been updated (like those of the custom artwork keys).

let us no how well the period and comma keys hold out.. those are the only commonly used keys you have etchings on..

The other ones should hold out fine simply do to non-use..

This is the only way we can gauge how durable the filler they're using is.

unless it's not a filler... is it a filler? or is it some sort of other way to make the etchings white.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:05:01 »
Just wanted to say that ergonomically, using the straight home-row method on QWERTY is counterproductive and will hurt your fingers more than using the 'awef' and 'jio;' keys.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline user888

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 01:06:16 »
@Linkbane Thanks really appreciated. When I look at my fingers, they're homed as AEDF and JIL: with the ring fingers a bit in between two keys. But the different color keys still help to home and find keys better.

A small update on my findings. In still like the keyboard very, very much. I’m now thinking of buying completely blank keys. I don't use the wrist pad as it still smells to mich like glue, gives me headaches. In the meanwhile I bought a white carbon Filco (see here). Now i have to decide which to use at home and which at the office.

Some people complain about the LEDs hidden behind the keys. I just don’t understand as they’re easily visible. Those people must be very short and sitting far away from the keyboard.

I like the keyboard so good that I bought a Filco for at home, to compare. See: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53828.0

Oh and the erratically behaving cherry switch on the WASD seems to have repaired itself.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2014, 06:28:27 by user888 »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 09:09:40 »
Wonderful, another blank keycap convert. It's also good to hear that you might make some adjustments for ergonomic sake; best of luck in that regard.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:40:16 »
Just wanted to say that ergonomically, using the straight home-row method on QWERTY is counterproductive and will hurt your fingers more than using the 'awef' and 'jio;' keys.

To present the other side of the coin, I disagree. From almost 20 years personal experience. Do what is most comfortable for you.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 21:17:39 »

To present the other side of the coin, I disagree. From almost 20 years personal experience. Do what is most comfortable for you.

Whatever, Mr. I-own-two-ergodoxes. You could probably type with your hands on shift, caps lock, tab, and tilde while typing more ergonomically than a normal keyboard.  :p

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 13:35:49 »
Those key caps look really bad compared to how they looked on the website..

vs.

Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline user888

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 14:03:25 »
They look better in real life. The print is very good. What you don't like is probably the glossy/satin finish. I suspect it's the UV-coating that causes this. But they don't look as bad as the picture suggests, just when looking at the right angle.

But compared to matte black Filco keys, I prefer the latter.

Offline neun_sechs_zwei

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 14:25:31 »
Those key caps look really bad compared to how they looked on the website..

Show Image

vs.

Show Image

It's just the lighting. The photos on their site were taken with some non-direct light and look more accurate. They're clear coated even when without legends. (As WASD told me in a prompt reply, when I followed up about how to possibly expedite my order with colored, blank caps... I got it quickly enough though.) The finish is matte. I'm really happy with mine... however maybe the Blues are a bit much, though fun in their own way...
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 January 2014, 20:46:18 by neun_sechs_zwei »