Author Topic: Selling a Macbook on Ebay is like the shadiest thing ever  (Read 3120 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Selling a Macbook on Ebay is like the shadiest thing ever
« on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:20:42 »
Got offers people from Poland that just joined Ebay this month that only bought 99 cent items to boost their rating.  "I have a shipping address in Chicago," he says.

Other folks with less than 10 ratings on Ebay making terrible lowball offers.

People sending me offers through messages to do a deal off Ebay with sob stories that they need this laptop quick for their daughter or for school.

I feel like the scum of the Internet is buying Macbooks off Ebay.

WTF.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: Selling a Macbook on Ebay is like the shadiest thing ever
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:24:25 »
Oh wow.. Ive never sold one on there but Ive bought one. I simply bid withing the last day and got it for an average price. It was in USA. It all worked out good.
Maybe hold out through all that bull**** crap and a real member will bid on it in CONUS.
PS: I eventually ended up selling it on Craigslist to buy a newer macbook. I met the person and they were buying it for their daughter. Got a great price for it.
Everything was smooth. But yes shady people on both, ebay and cl. :o

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:28:55 »
Oh wow.. Ive never sold one on there but Ive bought one. I simply bid withing the last day and got it for an average price. It was in USA. It all worked out good.
Maybe hold out through all that bull**** crap and a real member will bid on it in CONUS.
PS: I eventually ended up selling it on Craigslist to buy a newer macbook. I met the person and they were buying it for their daughter. Got a great price for it.

I would try to sell it on Craigslist, but I am afraid that I will get robbed making the exchange.  I feel like items of this value and such demand are little risky to do a face-to-face exchange.   I mean lots of people in town make a living robbing other people.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:30:58 »
Look at "Completed Listings" for similar sales (there are bound to be several) and you can tell exactly what the going rate is.

List yours at a Fixed Price at the mid-high point and don't screw around with auctions. Sure thing, and usually much faster.

Used MacBooks are a commodity. If yours is particularly nice, say so and tell why.

"Money talks and bullsh!t walks."

As soon as you have received the money, send it on. Until then, ignore the static.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:40:05 »

I would try to sell it on Craigslist, but I am afraid that I will get robbed making the exchange.  I feel like items of this value and such demand are little risky to do a face-to-face exchange.   I mean lots of people in town make a living robbing other people.

Yeah I was pretty lucky I guess. One guy from the local car forums here was selling a camera, met up in a stores lot. (forget the store, but a popular one) 3 guys stole the camera from him.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:41:19 »
How much is that in Clacks?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:44:06 »

Do it in front of a Bank or inside the bank during hours, you can also use it as a way to make sure it isn't fake either.

Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:45:48 »

Do it in front of a Bank or inside the bank during hours, you can also use it as a way to make sure it isn't fake either.

Now thats a good meeting spot.  :thumb:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:46:43 »

Now thats a good meeting spot.  :thumb:

Yeah just don't forget to take off your ski mask.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 16:35:33 »

Sorry, I try to keep a clack-free household.  I'm afraid the cats might sell them behind my back.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 16:36:29 »

Sorry, I try to keep a clack-free household.  I'm afraid the cats might sell them behind my back.

Um, okay...Phantoms? ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 16:37:50 »

Um, okay...Phantoms? ;D

I think what jd is trying to say is he wants your macbook but doesn't have cash :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 16:41:47 »

Ray is right, but I find this maxim usually holds true. ;)

in memoriam

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 16:45:51 »
Look at "Completed Listings" for similar sales (there are bound to be several) and you can tell exactly what the going rate is.

List yours at a Fixed Price at the mid-high point and don't screw around with auctions. Sure thing, and usually much faster.

Used MacBooks are a commodity. If yours is particularly nice, say so and tell why.

As soon as you have received the money, send it on. Until then, ignore the static.

Yea, I switched it to best offer after the first couple messages.  In a few hours since the change, I have got 4 offers and one with more than my price floor from a seller with lots of great ratings.  Selling a Macbook on Ebay is a little nuts.

Offline retsteel

• Hmmm... I guess I'm here again.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 18:12:29 »
I sell high priced stuff on craigslist a lot... I guess I have been lucky. It helps that I look slightly crazy and am slightly huge. I like meeting in coffee shops, but it's not exactly secure.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 18:16:33 »
What's more sketchy the person selling it, or the person buying it.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 18:18:45 »
Craigslist man. Meet them at a busy Starbucks. I've done it many times.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 18:34:12 »
Craigslist man. Meet them at a busy Starbucks. I've done it many times.

bank seems the way to go.. they got hi-res monitors...  starbucks might only have SD-ones.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 19:55:00 »
Do it in front of a police station.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 21:27:00 »

Should be a T-shirt slogan.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline retsteel

• Hmmm... I guess I'm here again.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 21:52:28 »

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 05:01:35 »

Meet in a public place.  Also bring a legally registered gun or if you don't have one bring a friend that does have a CCW.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 11:19:13 »
Just put it up here on GH!
I'm sure someone would love to pick it up.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 11:44:35 »

Should be a T-shirt slogan.

:))

Good idea too..

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 13:40:57 »
My wife is an ebay expert.  She said you should immediately block every one of those low-ballers.  Especially the DB from Poland.  They are trouble.  They are not noobs, they are the opposite:  ebay pro's trying to take advantage of you.  Also, if they don't get what they want, the will try to ruin your rating. 

Why not use GH classifieds?  That is what the GH community is here for, to buy your unwanted macbook.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline pauleibye

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 12:39:45 »
I've sold a few Macbooks on ebay and have had my fair share of scams.

Best thing you can do if you still want an auction is to set the option for requiring immediate payment when they buy with buy it now. Lots of dealers on eBay will try and buy out the competition but will never actually pay. This is really frustrating as sometimes you won't be able to keep a listing up for more than a couple hours

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 13:17:27 »

Best thing you can do if you still want an auction is to set the option for requiring immediate payment when they buy with buy it now. Lots of dealers on eBay will try and buy out the competition but will never actually pay. This is really frustrating as sometimes you won't be able to keep a listing up for more than a couple hours

hmm... ebay n00ber here.. why would they do that.. they still won't get the macbook no?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 14:33:10 »

hmm... ebay n00ber here.. why would they do that.. they still won't get the macbook no?

They're also selling macbooks as well.
So they use a dummy account to buy out the competition or increase the bid to a ridiculously high level. The competition (other guys) think they got lucky and somebody is buying their product at higher price but in reality they're just stuck for 4-8 days (you have to wait that long to request cancellation for non payments).
The dealers get to monopolize the market that way or least keep the real bids to them.

You can reject bids on ebay. You have to list a public reason for rejecting them but you can do it to keep baddies out of your sale.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 14:52:53 »

They're also selling macbooks as well.
So they use a dummy account to buy out the competition or increase the bid to a ridiculously high level. The competition (other guys) think they got lucky and somebody is buying their product at higher price but in reality they're just stuck for 4-8 days (you have to wait that long to request cancellation for non payments).
The dealers get to monopolize the market that way or least keep the real bids to them.

You can reject bids on ebay. You have to list a public reason for rejecting them but you can do it to keep baddies out of your sale.

Thx for the explanation.......

hmmm.... price inflation of macbooks..

Tp4 thinks Conspiracy...   Apple is behind it to artificially inflate resell value of their wares..

Doesn't really matter how well it's built, a laptop's deterioration due to heat is impossible to overcome..