Author Topic: Question about "thick" and "thin" pbt keycaps  (Read 7341 times)

Offline Abn

Question about "thick" and "thin" pbt keycaps
« on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 04:28:50 »
So I was wondering if http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=859 were thick or thin pbt keycaps, and if it really makes a difference.
Noppoo Choc Mini Reds | Ducky Shine 3 TKL Browns | Topre Realforce 87U 45gram

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: Question about "thick" and "thin" pbt keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 07:45:31 »
That keyset should be fairly thick, probably not the thickest but definitely enough so to be considered thick.

Many people here claim thick PBT > *, I'm waiting on my pitch black PBT keys from Ivan's group buy to confirm whether or not it's all just hype. I am typing on thin PBT on my work keyboard and I will say that if going from thin PBT to thick PBT is as profound of an improvement as it was to go from ABS to thin PBT I will be very pleased.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 07:55:15 »

Ducky sets are 'thin' unless they are the 'Premier' dyesub edition keycap. Do they have different feeling? Yes. Will you like that different feeling... I can't tell you. You have to find out yourself.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 08:00:44 »
Here is a picture of the non-engraved version of the white Ducky PBT keys Josh from mechanicalkeyboards.com sent me when I inquired about how thick they were. I also asked about their Grey/Blue and Pink/White PBT sets and he said they were all the same thickness.

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 08:02:15 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 08:06:37 »
That is 'Premier' set. The engraved ones are older and are thin I'm fairly sure.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 08:17:15 »
In theory, wouldn't a thinner/lighter keycap make the switch more responsive, much like unsprung weight on a race car?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:11:51 »
I find that thicker heavier caps actually make seem lighter, as there is slightly more preload. Though in case of click switch it does make them feel a bit less 'crisp'. They also certainly change the sound characteristic quite a bit giving a much lower tone on both bottom and top out.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:13:29 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:57:17 »
sigh...  the Thin and Thick caps weigh exactly the same..

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 10:16:33 »
That is amazing that they weigh the same... when the thick have almost 3x the material. NO they do not weigh the same.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:17:46 »
It makes sense that thick ones would be heavier, unless there are a lot of air pockets inside or something.

Has anyone ever weighed them? I assume we're talking fractional grams here.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:29:43 »
I find that thicker heavier caps actually make seem lighter, as there is slightly more preload. Though in case of click switch it does make them feel a bit less 'crisp'. They also certainly change the sound characteristic quite a bit giving a much lower tone on both bottom and top out.

Have the same experience: The own weight of the cap on the switch makes it to feel lighter. I think this should depend also of the module of the spring and if the switch has a bumper or if it is linear.

For me it is more important the sound as it is the main feedback while typing. In general I may say that while I like think PBT, I prefer thick ABS most of the time. Of course I am talking about think original Cherry double shot ABS caps.

Offline Abn

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:43:51 »
That is 'Premier' set. The engraved ones are older and are thin I'm fairly sure.
Could you have him clarify on the engraved ones I linked if they are as thick those, IvanIvanovich above said they were thin.

Basically I want a keycap set like this that will have the leds shine through, scroll to bottom http://imgur.com/a/KsIDT
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:45:23 by Abn »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:09:12 »
That is amazing that they weigh the same... when the thick have almost 3x the material. NO they do not weigh the same.

Yes I weighed them..

the THICK pbt cherry profile weighs the same as pbt THIN OEM profile.

I've not seen thick pbt oem profile yet.. so Maybe those weigh more.. but I doubt it..

Offline Abn

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:39:05 »

Yes I weighed them..
Show Image

I've not seen thick pbt oem profile yet.. so Maybe those weigh more.. but I doubt it..
EDIT: I bought them hopefully I will be pleased ! Mostly just want the shine through effect

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:00:28 »

Yes I weighed them..
Show Image

Apples to oranges then, okay.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:03:43 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49458.msg1152447#msg1152447

Shows a pic of the recent Yellow Edition PBT keycaps, mine are engraved and about that thick.  Maybe a sign of Ducky making thicker PBT keycaps as a matter of course now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 22:45:22 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49458.msg1152447#msg1152447

Shows a pic of the recent Yellow Edition PBT keycaps, mine are engraved and about that thick.  Maybe a sign of Ducky making thicker PBT keycaps as a matter of course now.

Yes, yes, and yes. They changed their tune after the first batch of Yellow Editions were having problems with breakage in the thin PBT material in test groups.  Course, their first clue should have been the white blanks and engraved G2 Pros that had the occasional broken PBT keycap. The coolest part of the thicker PBT is definitely the straight, non-wavy spacebars...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!