Author Topic: What's with the conflict between geekhack and r/mechanicalkeyboards?  (Read 15659 times)

Offline VilaBobz

I see both places as great.  But a lot of people on r/mechanicalkeyboards seem to not like geekhack very much.  I guess I don't understand why?  What's up with the conflict?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Re: What's with the conflict between geekhack and r/mechanicalkeyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 12:26:27 »
There's no conflict. It's designed to create a "buzz". The whole "bad PR is better than no PR" theory. Reddit is our recruiter.

Let me guess, you found the Reddit threads then came here to check it out, right?

Welcome to GH!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 12:29:54 »
Ripster got banned. Ripster got mad. Ripster passed his hatred for 'GeekWhack' onto some of the members of r/mech.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 12:33:17 »
I see both places as great.  But a lot of people on r/mechanicalkeyboards seem to not like geekhack very much.  I guess I don't understand why?  What's up with the conflict?
Try looking at the username of those "people", I think you'll find it interesting.
Anyhoo, Welcome to Geekhack.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 12:35:50 by Frenir »

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:02:44 »
Alleged conflict:
Every person has the divine right to have their own opinion about anything, no right/no wrong. The internet has a lot of opinions and they aren't all the same.

I think the enterprising Rip may get a clack or other GH schwag for every new registered account on GH that originates from Reddit. If he doesn't, he should. The stats are impressive :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:04:33 »
Mmmmmm...  GH is the only NON-partial authority for Mech keyboards..

Reddit is full of fake accounts trying to promote keyboard sales.. rather than keyboard science..

YES ripster was all about keyboard science, and IMHO he should not have been banned...

but reddit is full of kiddies who just want to buy something... 

That's not what GH is about... GH is about taking keyboarding as far as it can go...

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:16:06 »
When learned what mechanical keyboards were, it was on r/mechanicalkeyboards. I remember just seeing a TON of anti-geekhack stuff and I didn't believe much of it or think much of it and it really honestly made me want to investigate for myself and well...I stayed here..

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:17:40 »

There is no conflict.  There is ripster who lives on reddit now.  Ripster hates GH because he got banned from here.  He spreads his hate.  some of the more simple-minded reddit people are easily led astray.  That is what you have observed.  Why does ripster act the way he does?  I have no idea.  But I think it all stems from his feelings of inadequacy about his micro-penis.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:21:31 »
When learned what mechanical keyboards were, it was on r/mechanicalkeyboards. I remember just seeing a TON of anti-geekhack stuff and I didn't believe much of it or think much of it and it really honestly made me want to investigate for myself and well...I stayed here..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:22:43 »

There is no conflict.  There is ripster who lives on reddit now.  Ripster hates GH because he got banned from here.  He spreads his hate.  some of the more simple-minded reddit people are easily led astray.  That is what you have observed.  Why does ripster act the way he does?  I have no idea.  But I think it all stems from his feelings of inadequacy about his micro-penis.

don't worry bout eht0s  he's got the most micro-est of penises..

which is why he's a h8er of other h8ers..

nobody likes eth0s 

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:32:13 »

nobody likes eth0s 
Show Image

i'm gonna lance your ass
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:37:57 »

nobody likes eth0s 
Show Image

i'm gonna lance your ass
(Attachment Link)

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:45:39 »
but back on off-topic topic
reddit is full of farteyes and poo****s
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:52:10 »

nobody likes eth0s 
Show Image

i'm gonna lance your ass
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

I am consistently impressed at the never-ending supply of ultra-lame emoticons you seem to have.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:00:20 »

nobody likes eth0s 
Show Image

i'm gonna lance your ass
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

I am consistently impressed at the never-ending supply of ultra-lame emoticons you seem to have.

You just jelly you can't express yourself g00der than I. 

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:09:03 »

http://eemoticons.net/Emo/Big-Onion?page=all

Now you can be ultra-lame, too!  :thumb:

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:11:49 »
no ****ing thanks
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:29:28 »

http://eemoticons.net/Emo/Big-Onion?page=all

Now you can be ultra-lame, too!  :thumb:

it's not like I was hiding them... I even made a specific post about adopting them instead of the default smilies on GH currently, which don't cover enough topics.

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:36:48 »
Reddit is a group of judgemenetal people going to a website with the underlying intent on being judged and judging others.
Thats all you get there; so the people who want "free speech" and to judge free speech go there.. generally.

Of course there are people who go there looking for information; in which case, Its unfortunate that the only final product of reddit is judgement and knowledge takes a back seat.

Upvote this comment for credibility. Bigger number of upvotes mean im right so more people will up vote it blindly.

This post has been satirical. Don't up vote it.

.....Upvote

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:43:43 »
Reddit is a group of judgemenetal people going to a website with the underlying intent on being judged and judging others.
Thats all you get there; so the people who want "free speech" and to judge free speech go there.. generally.

Of course there are people who go there looking for information; in which case, Its unfortunate that the only final product of reddit is judgement and knowledge takes a back seat.

Upvote this comment for credibility. Bigger number of upvotes mean im right so more people will up vote it blindly.

This post has been satirical. Don't up vote it.

.....Upvote

Mmm..... isn't  simply reading  an exercise of judgement?

I don't think one should castigate Reddit so harshly..   

Given that the largest proportion of online vocal-ites are kids with incomplete or below-par education ...   It's inevitable that popularity made Reddit what it is...

But to say it is in Reddit nation's perogative to judge and be judged   is no different than saying...    A sentence written is to be read........

That said.. I dont' like reddit... so Ffffk Reddit,, amirigh?

hahahahahahahhaaaa

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:53:38 »
Not the core meaning of judgement but the actual act of judging someones credibility is what I mean, the whole upvote system.
Because of multis, and bots, and other things, this doesnt work too well; and people feed off the votes to gain credibility. Friends upvote friends wether they are right or not and the nature of subreddits lends itself to corrupt moderating and silencing. You can vote people out but it doesnt really happen often and you need a strong case to do so..

ffffffk reddit yes =w=

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:21:10 »
I actually found out about Reddit through Geekhack! Lmao it is a very odd site. I check it for some mech stuff but mainly gaming. I love geekhack because most people here are genuine and the orange and black honestly makes me feel at home! That was the first thing that lured me into the forum when I loaded it. But anyways, not sure why people hate on gh? Reddit is really hard to get used to for me, I like forums! :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:31:13 »
I actually found out about Reddit through Geekhack! Lmao it is a very odd site. I check it for some mech stuff but mainly gaming. I love geekhack because most people here are genuine and the orange and black honestly makes me feel at home! That was the first thing that lured me into the forum when I loaded it. But anyways, not sure why people hate on gh? Reddit is really hard to get used to for me, I like forums! :)

yea.. i also dislike the arrangement on reddit..   but when you have the volume of comment that they do ... that system is better..  because it branches into subgroups talking to each other which has nothing to do with the main discussion.

On a forum such as "THIS"   there is a limit to the carrier capacity of any one topic.. because of its linear nature...

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:38:36 »
I think that Geekhack has a... unique wit.  Not everyone appreciates it the same way. 

I like the color scheme because it goes so nicely with my avatar, and I don't think there is ever a visit that goes by without an LOL at some thread or other that I didn't mean to get distracted by.  Though the drama of the old rivalries has been minimized, there is still plenty of singular banter around here.  I've often thought it might make a good sitcom, or at least webisode type of show...
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:11:30 »
I think that Geekhack has a... unique wit.  Not everyone appreciates it the same way. 
This is true, and the same can be said of DT or reddit.
I didn't jump on the reddit bandwagon. There were a lot of unnecessary posts back then.

Geekhack is great for me, as it's chock full of great people who are also geeks who like to hack. It's aptly named!

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:16:23 »
what do you mean by hack!!!???!??!??!??
 :mad: :mad: :mad:
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:17:08 »
I found both communities around the same time. I prefer geekhack more because it's nice to have a consistent group of posters you can recognize. Reddit is just a constant mess of throwaways and people who take advantage of anonymity to be ****s. At least the *******s on geekhack have a name.

Also, the karma system isn't really conducive to an accepting or open-minded community. Any dissenting opinions would just be downvoted and you see the same **** on the top, every time.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 19:00:51 »
Ripster got banned. Ripster got mad. Ripster passed his hatred for 'GeekWhack' onto some of the members of r/mech.

GeekWhack is so cutting... love it

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 20:46:03 »
I found both communities around the same time. I prefer geekhack more because it's nice to have a consistent group of posters you can recognize. Reddit is just a constant mess of throwaways and people who take advantage of anonymity to be ****s. At least the *******s on geekhack have a name.

Also, the karma system isn't really conducive to an accepting or open-minded community. Any dissenting opinions would just be downvoted and you see the same **** on the top, every time.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:12:37 »

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/hack.html

In this case, I am referring to something akin to hardware hacking. The same root word that hackaday and hackerspace use.

This is very different from cracking into someone's network, computer, or filesystem.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:16:42 »
People here are just a little more srs biz about keyboards. /r/mechanicalkeyboards is mostly existing redditors that also have a passing or brief interest in mechanical keyboards.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:17:55 »
I'm an original /r/mech user

It's fairly simple really

piR got banned because he was trying to exploit something within an older version of this forum's backend. He spammed a lot of unnecessary posts and started a lot of unnecessary arguments. This spamming and arguing carried over into other forums, getting him banned at places like DT and OCN's keyboard forum.

He started /r/mech after the /r/keyboards moderator wouldn't give him mod permissions saying essentially "I'm the expert here, you're just some kid" (what a mature, well thought out response)

His subreddit took off because piR posted a lot of good content, which got a lot of attention to his sub. In fairness, I learned a lot from him.

Once the sub hit about 10k subscribers he started a lot of the anti-GH lobbying, and since he had a decent reddit following, a lot of it worked. The "geekwhack" phrase was invented at this time.

Lately he only posts anti-GH propaganda, and tries to convert people to his side without giving an explanation why he's a "keyboard thug"

Also, he's the reason I joined GH. He told me "You're smart enough to replace smallfry, go spread the word of keyboard science!" so I made an account here. Look at my account creation date if you don't believe me.

I was nor am not nearly as great as smallfry and never will be. This is why I started the /r/mechanicalkeyboards weekly question thread, which piR stole from me after he realized why I started posting those threads.

And that's when I realized Ripster is a ****.

TL;DR: piR's a ****, that's why he hates us and we hate him. Don't listen to anything he says.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:22:25 »
Also I totally promised I'd never say that last bit publicly but it's getting close to the anniversary so I'm thinking about it a lot.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Coreda

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:24:07 »
GeekWhack is so cutting... love it

It's kind of ironic how much time ripster still spends here anonymously, as he posts regularly in his own sub linking to specific posts all the time, as if calling out what people randomly post. When I saw his original GH avatar I remembered him vaguely from when I used to lurk, but nothing specific.

Several people here I've seen there as members anyway, so it's not like it's some us vs them thing, although ripster loves to see it that way and go on about it endlessly.

The two sites are so different in style anyway. The Reddit sub is more of a news stream for news and imgur photos (which is why the term 'subscriber' fits well) as well as it's wiki I suppose, and geekhack is more centered on the more user-to-user and longer-term discussion and topics - the nitty-gritty of mods, keycaps, etc and general interaction. It's why a forum is the ideal format for such lengthy topics, as Reddit is so ephemeral with its system and doesn't really allow for long-term discussion.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:25:05 »
The wiki sucks, I built half of it before I knew anything.

The other half was piR.

Offline nar

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:44:07 »
I'm always afraid that I'm the reason he's on reddit in the first place considering I replied to him once long ago with a link from r/keyboards and he appeared there the next day and the rest is history.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:55:17 »
Also I totally promised I'd never say that last bit publicly but it's getting close to the anniversary so I'm thinking about it a lot.

Thanks for the insight into that world. I never visit reddit, so I had no idea what goes on there, beyond the hard and true fact that Ripster is a complete and utter fool.

So, when it comes down to it, there is no conflict between GH and r/mech. It's just one irrelevant old man with a grudge.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:10:11 »

Thanks for the insight into that world. I never visit reddit, so I had no idea what goes on there, beyond the hard and true fact that Ripster is a complete and utter fool.

So, when it comes down to it, there is no conflict between GH and r/mech. It's just one irrelevant old man with a grudge.

Grudge yes... I don't think he's "foolish"...

Unless you're saying... "foolish to be holding a grudge"...

Yea that's kinda a chick thing to do...

Rather unmanly of Ripster i suppose.....

Offline Broduce

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:13:41 »
Change fool to tool and you've got a point.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:27:34 »
piR got banned because he was trying to exploit something within an older version of this forum's backend.

Can you elaborate on this?  It's news to me.  Was he trying to roll his post count or something?  I thought he was just spamming for kicks and ego trips.

His subreddit took off because piR posted a lot of good content, which got a lot of attention to his sub. In fairness, I learned a lot from him.

Yep, when I joined the forum I believed he really was the #1 Keyboard Expert on the Planet.  He created a ton of great content for the wiki and was generally a fun, helpful (if spammy) community member.  Geekhack as a knowledge base has never really recovered from rootworm plus the loss of his content.

Personally I don't have anything against reddit or its keyboard community.  I use reddit every day for other hobbies and interests, and occasionally glance at r/mech.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 01:39:34 »
We've like, more than tripled our members since /r/mk went up soooooo....

Honestly I think 'ol rippyroo's just drumming up business for us. How kind of him too :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 01:53:15 »
piR got banned because he was trying to exploit something within an older version of this forum's backend.

Can you elaborate on this?  It's news to me.  Was he trying to roll his post count or something?  I thought he was just spamming for kicks and ego trips.

PM'd.

I'm just glad that there's a place for everyone. I remember some of the accounts that were created around the time of the ban.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 04:15:23 »

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/hack.html

In this case, I am referring to something akin to hardware hacking. The same root word that hackaday and hackerspace use.

This is very different from cracking into someone's network, computer, or filesystem.
good  :-*
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 08:51:52 »

Yep, when I joined the forum I believed he really was the #1 Keyboard Expert on the Planet.  He created a ton of great content for the wiki and was generally a fun, helpful (if spammy) community member.  Geekhack as a knowledge base has never really recovered from rootworm plus the loss of his content.

This.

He is clearly very intelligent and knowledgeable, but there is something psychologically off.

Bill Shatner said it best on Saturday Night Live back in the 1970s: "Get a Life"
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:18:34 »
We've like, more than tripled our members since /r/mk went up soooooo....

Honestly I think 'ol rippyroo's just drumming up business for us. How kind of him too :)

.....mmmm...

I believe this is predominantly due to computer gaming/ use becoming more socially accepted as the primary means of cheap thrills..

so within this space, people reach out for the Luxury Brand experience. which mechanical keyboards have filled..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:22:33 »
Geekhack is great for me, as it's chock full of great people who are also geeks who like to hack. It's aptly named!

But the hack in Geekhack refers to writers. iMav states somewhere that he thought that mechanical keyboards would appeal most to geeks and hacks (writers) so that's why the forum is called Geekhack.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:25:22 »

But the hack in Geekhack refers to writers. iMav states somewhere that he thought that mechanical keyboards would appeal most to geeks and hacks (writers) so that's why the forum is called Geekhack.

source http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47416.msg1011580#msg1011580

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:29:02 »
Thanks ray, it was driving me crazy that I couldn't find that post.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:47:24 »
There's no conflict. It's designed to create a "buzz". The whole "bad PR is better than no PR" theory. Reddit is our recruiter.

Let me guess, you found the Reddit threads then came here to check it out, right?

Welcome to GH!

Best answer ^ ;)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:54:16 »
I'm an original /r/mech user

It's fairly simple really

piR got banned because he was trying to exploit something within an older version of this forum's backend. He spammed a lot of unnecessary posts and started a lot of unnecessary arguments. This spamming and arguing carried over into other forums, getting him banned at places like DT and OCN's keyboard forum.

He started /r/mech after the /r/keyboards moderator wouldn't give him mod permissions saying essentially "I'm the expert here, you're just some kid" (what a mature, well thought out response)

Once the sub hit about 10k subscribers he started a lot of the anti-GH lobbying, and since he had a decent reddit following, a lot of it worked. The "geekwhack" phrase was invented at this time.

Lately he only posts anti-GH propaganda, and tries to convert people to his side without giving an explanation why he's a "keyboard thug"

Also, he's the reason I joined GH. He told me "You're smart enough to replace smallfry, go spread the word of keyboard science!" so I made an account here. Look at my account creation date if you don't believe me.

I was nor am not nearly as great as smallfry and never will be. This is why I started the /r/mechanicalkeyboards weekly question thread, which piR stole from me after he realized why I started posting those threads.

And that's when I realized Ripster is a ****.

TL;DR: piR's a ****, that's why he hates us and we hate him. Don't listen to anything he says.

interesting back story, thanks for sharing!