Author Topic: Loud Bikes  (Read 9598 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Loud Bikes
« on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:18:02 »
Do loud motorcycles bother you at all? Or are you one who perfers to ride on a loud motorcycle? Do you think municipalities passing decibel regulations for vehicles is a violation of the First Amendment to the Constitution? Dish the dirt here.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
Re: Loud Bikes
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 15:08:46 »
if you have a problem with loud motorcycles, i'm glad to hear your new vagina is growing perfectly.
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 15:42:52 »
absolutely no care in the world

Offline luisbg

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 15:53:55 »
A loud bike is great to ride. Unless stupid loud with aftermarket exhausts that do nothing but release the kraken of decibels.

That said, revving the bike at 2am is an ******* thing to do. Completely unnecessary.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:27:27 »
How about revving the bike at 6am? That's what I like to do every weekend for fun. :)
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:30:48 »
How about revving the bike at 6am? That's what I like to do every weekend for fun. :)

depending on how close you are to my house you may be confronted by an angry deaf man

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:34:00 »

depending on how close you are to my house you may be confronted by an angry deaf man

But if the man is deaf, would he truly be bothered by the loud bike?

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:37:08 »

yes, I can feel the idling/rumbling of it. If it wakes me up we may have issues ..... now if it's a loud car I may ask for a ride :P

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:38:56 »

yes, I can feel the idling/rumbling of it. If it wakes me up we may have issues ..... now if it's a loud car I may ask for a ride :P

Oh I like loud cars too. But I rev those before I rev my loud bikes at 6.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:39:56 »
Love Harley's; choppers, Indians. But not the import bikes.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:44:28 »

GTFO!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:44:38 »

Same, my buds got into baggers, I'm too much of a puss, you can do everything right and still lose on the road. One of my friends went under an 18 wheeler on his Harley and died, left 2 daughters behind.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:01:37 »

By imports you mean not built in the USA? Because all Harley parts are manufactured in Japan now.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:05:36 »
As someone who used to live on a country lane I hate bikes that are loud for no ****ing reason. Holy ****... it's not so much the noise from one bike, its the fact that they tend to ride in convoys of 10-15... used to piss me off so much becasue all of a sudden 15 middle aged fat blokes would be driving past the house on ****ty little bikes they have made to be as loud as possible, for no reason.

That said, I do dislike bikers who try and ride the roads like a MotoGP driver on roads they clearly have no idea how to ride/drive. I've nearly killed and decapitated several blokes who think its a good idea to cut blind corners at 40-50mph on roads that are bearly wide enough for two cars normally... so maybe it's just me.. lol

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:23:36 »
I do like the sound of a nice aftermarket exhaust on a non metric V-twin, or V-8, and feel that the saying "loud pipes save lives" is true.  But if you. One ripping up and down my street at ubsurd hours and wake up my wife or daughter (son could have slept through the SF earthquake) there will be issues.  You can ask the guy that lives down the street from me.  He woke my daughter up at 2am on morning when she had 3 teeth coming in at the same time. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:54:13 »
I have no preference to metric or non-metric v-twins, but making them loud for just the sake of noise is just ridiculous.  I love a good sounding bike.  It could even have straight pipes as long as it was tuned well. 

The problem I have (as stated before) is the rudeness of some of the people that ride these loud bikes.  My ex-neighbor used to get drunk on weekday nights and do rev-limiter burnouts in the parking lot of our apartment with his straight piped FXST.  It sounded horrible as that was his only mod.  It would sputter and pop and just didn't sound healthy, but he thought it was badass.  I have the same issue with guys on crotch rockets, there is no need for it to cause ears to bleed to make good power. 

Having said that, I don't always own street bikes, but when I do, they sound like this:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:17:35 »
I think they are annoying when they pull up next to me so loud I have to roll up the window to hear my wife talking. I'm sure I wouldn't care if I was the one riding it though.

Offline osi

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:37:11 »
Loud pipes suck in the culdesac but I genuinely believe they save lives on the road.

Drivers tend not to watch for motorcycles so the extra element of sound is helpful in some cases.

As far as a violation of rights, I think its fair to place loud pipes in category with other noise offenses such as loud music.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:41:47 »
Every time I see someone on a Harley I think of the Southpark Episode.

Brubb brubb brubbbb BRUBBBB

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/episodes/s13e12-the-f-word

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 19:06:02 »
Hate loud bikes gunning past my house between midnight and 7AM.

Love loud MX blues clicking and clacking in my office during work hours.

Come at me bro.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 19:19:52 »

Come at me bro.

here here
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:59:13 »

Come at me bro.

here here

Hey Hey.  I dunno about motorcycles, I just ride my bicycle.  But I fart really loud whenever I can.  Makes me go faster.  Some people have complained.

Here's my '57 Wasp:

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:05:32 »
Loud Pipes Save Lives.

Cagers don't care enough to pay attention, unless you force them with decibels.

(note: i'm a cager by nature and can't afford the bike life, but have relatives who do ride, so i understand and approve)

Edit: however, i am not condoning "abuse of power" and deliberately being loud for no reason at inappropriate times. Some people are just expletives. But this isn't a bike-centric thing. ^^
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:10:55 by ferociousfingerings »
Logitech G710+

Offline Altis

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:29:44 »
Loud Pipes Save Lives.

(note: i'm a cager by nature and can't afford the bike life, but have relatives who do ride, so i understand and approve)

Edit: however, i am not condoning "abuse of power" and deliberately being loud for no reason at inappropriate times. Some people are just expletives. But this isn't a bike-centric thing. ^^

I'd buy that argument except that the people who say that: either don't wear helmets, or wear ones that don't cover their face, have no headlight on, don't wear high visibility gear, wear tear-away pants and vests, etc....

Before you can justify being loud as a safety concern, you should at least pretend to take safety seriously.

Just my $0.02 from my few years of riding. If you want to be safe, get a full face helmet, high visibility jacket/vest/helmet, always have a headlight/highbeam on, ride properly, and if possible, get a bike with ABS.  :thumb:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:48:05 »
A guy just rolled past my house on a super loud bike with a super loud stereo system to go along with it. Lol. If your ride sounds like it's in my living room it's too damn loud.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 22:41:28 »
I thought bikes had to be loud so that cars don't run into them... 

I can't see any other reason for it...  the noise is significantly more annoying to the rider than anyone else that can roll up their windows..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 22:43:24 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:43:03 »
Loud Pipes Save Lives.

They'll save lives until an angry passer-by sticks a broomstick in their spokes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:51:21 »
Loud Pipes Save Lives.

They'll save lives until an angry passer-by sticks a broomstick in their spokes.

wouldn't this be just as dangerous for the person using the broom?

those spokes on a m-bike have alot more energy and are more rigid, and the bike is moving as well which could  fall and go under the car of the broom handling guy.. and cause that car to flip or swerve

Offline mauri

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:53:31 »
Loud Pipes Save Lives.

That's total and utter bull****, visibility and observing the traffic saves lives. Loud pipes save lives is just a bull**** anecdote to justify having loud pipes when in fact they're mostly for vanitys sake.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline osi

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 09:31:29 »
Loud Pipes Save Lives.

That's total and utter bull****, visibility and observing the traffic saves lives. Loud pipes save lives is just a bull**** anecdote to justify having loud pipes when in fact they're mostly for vanitys sake.

You don't ride do you?

Offline iri

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:14:54 »
why didn't /thread happen after the first "loud pipes save lives"?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline mauri

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:55:04 »
Loud Pipes Save Lives.

You don't ride do you?

I do. I don't mind loud exhausts but saying it's for safety is stupid. I've got a full racing exhaust on my bike so you can literally feel the sound on your skin.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:57:00 by mauri »

Offline osi

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 11:14:52 »
Loud Pipes Save Lives.

You don't ride do you?

I do. I don't mind loud exhausts but saying it's for safety is stupid. I've got a full racing exhaust on my bike so you can literally feel the sound on your skin.

Interesting. I've gotten plenty of surprised looks from drivers being none the wiser until they've heard me up close.

You're right -- Stating that loud pipes are for safety IS stupid. The noise level is simply a side effect of the pipes that offers other drivers an alternate sense to be alerted.

I fear for our future electric motorcyclists =]

Offline mauri

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 11:35:46 »
Loud Pipes Save Lives.

You don't ride do you?

Interesting. I've gotten plenty of surprised looks from drivers being none the wiser until they've heard me up close.

You're right -- Stating that loud pipes are for safety IS stupid. The noise level is simply a side effect of the pipes that offers other drivers an alternate sense to be alerted.

I fear for our future electric motorcyclists =]

Yeah it's a nice plus but I cringe every time somebody is telling me how they're gonna get this new exhaust as a safety measure when they're ****ing riding squid, without a helmet, worn out tires or whatever.

Offline osi

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 11:41:00 »
In FL, there is no helmet law -- not required. My favorite thing to see are these idiots with the helmet strapped to the bike instead of on their head -- I don't understand it

Offline iri

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 11:45:45 »
In FL, there is no helmet law -- not required. My favorite thing to see are these idiots with the helmet strapped to the bike instead of on their head -- I don't understand it
that's the message
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 12:06:15 »

Those people just don't have much in the way of brains to protect in their heads with helmets, so they choose not to utilize them.

Offline mauri

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 13:18:45 »
Even if riding without a helmet was legal I wouldn't, it's a matter of comfort. If I go riding twisties my whole visor gets so full of insects one can barely see thru. I've had small stones, bees and even birds hit my helmet, couldn't really imagine riding without a one (then there's the matter of freezing your face off too)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 13:21:15 »
what about dirt bikes?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 14:01:25 »
I hope those punks get run over.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:06:57 »
What I was saying is I love the sound of a loud Harley but not a loud import bike.

Offline Altis

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 16:52:53 »
What I was saying is I love the sound of a loud Harley but not a loud import bike.

It's all a matter of taste (and perhaps background).

I'm the opposite... The only way a bike can remotely justify being loud is if it's seriously fast. Straight-piped Harleys make a ton of noise accelerating at the pace of a city bus.

Sportbikes are also a smooth sound by comparison, and tend to only be loud when the are at wide open throttle and higher revs.

None of my bikes have had aftermarket exhausts because I have always had neighbours and often rode at night.

Back to my original point though... Don't bring up noise as a safety measure until you have: high visibility gear, full face helmet, running light/high beam on, pants that aren't tear-away and don't have spikes, and a jacket that offers some protection. HV gear made riding much, much safer for me. Oh, and get a bike with ABS if you can.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:18:45 »
Don't get me wrong I love all types of bikes. Just for loud pipes I prefer a nice deep muscle tone. But cars on the other hand I love a turbo or supercharged small cylinder engine. (Or a big block muscle) either.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:58:56 »
i liek bieks taht go woo-woo

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 18:51:19 »
i liek bieks taht go woo-woo

I have no words for this. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 20:33:45 »
I find loud diesel trucks far more obnoxious. They don't even sound good...

Or when they adjust their air:fuel and do dumb stuff;

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 20:40:23 »
I hate loud bikes. I hate loud trucks with huge tires. I hate rice racers with fart cans. I think crotch rockets are pretty cool though, but I'd never ride one myself.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 21:50:47 »
Just stick to the legal requirements for all vehicle exhausts and everything should be fine.

I hate when someone redesigns their exhaust system on their Harley or Indian so that it sounds loud for nothing other than to irritate people.  Trust me, the natural exhaust on those bikes from the factory is plenty loud as is  :thumb: .

Besides most here on Geekhack have never rode nor heard a real Harley in use.  If they did, then they'll know what true perfection is when it comes to these wondrous works of art.

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 21:58:06 »
Besides most here on Geekhack have never rode nor heard a real Harley in use.  If they did, then they'll know what true perfection is when it comes to these wondrous works of art.

I've heard and rode a few Harleys in my life. My uncle is a former "Hell's Angel" apparently. The sound just doesn't really do it for me.

This on the other hand, gives me an instant boner.