Author Topic: Thin white blank PBT key on Amazon - any experiences?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline larsjuhljensen

Thin white blank PBT key on Amazon - any experiences?
« on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 03:02:26 »
I found this set of 87 blank white PBT key caps on Amazon, which look like they would be suitable for a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blank-White-Caps-Cherry-Keyboard/dp/B00KKW2JZ2/

The description is not very detailed, but judging from this image it is thin caps:

Does anyone have any experience with these? I consider buying them, but I am very new to the whole topic of different shapes of caps, types of stabilizers, and what not.

Thanks,
Lars

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Thin white blank PBT key on Amazon - any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 10:02:28 »
They will be quite similar overall quality to the stock keycap but have a 'drier' feel since it PBT. They seem to be same as the old Ducky/KBC/Keycool/etc thin PBT sets probably from same factory. Yes it should fit on your CM QFR 100%.

Offline larsjuhljensen

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 10:53:18 »
Thanks! Unfortunately it turns out at the very last page of Amazon checkout that the postage of shipping it will exceed the price of the keep caps :(

I hate the Amazon system so much. Despite being logged in, it will not tell me the correct cost of shipping, or even if it ships to where I live, before I start going through the checkout process.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 13:20:40 »
No you do not want these...  the stem is NOT smooth.. it will feel quite frictiony...

Hit up the Group buys for THICK imsto type if you're looking for PBT.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 14:53:04 »
If you want caps like those still, you can order some from here: http://www.banggood.com/PBT-87-Blank-White-Key-Caps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-p-84084.html

They are actually "medium" thickness PBT, somewhere between standard ABS cap thickness and "thick" PBT caps. They are actually very nice, I'm using a set on my custom board.

Be aware that if you choose free post from Banggood they will take a long time to arrive (4 to 7 weeks). Better to pay for tracked post, should still be reasonable price.

No you do not want these...  the stem is NOT smooth.. it will feel quite frictiony...

Hit up the Group buys for THICK imsto type if you're looking for PBT.

Might I ask what exactly you mean? From my experience with them, no part of the stem touches any part of the switch and they feel absolutely fine. If the spacebar is warped (as sometimes happens with PBT spacebars) it may introduce friction in the stabilisers, but that's fixable by heating the cap in hot water and placing it on a flat surface with a reasonably heavy book on top to hold it there.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline larsjuhljensen

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 16:09:09 »
Thanks for the suggestion where else to buy them. Unfortunately, if I buy them from outside the EU, I will be completely ripped off when they arrive in Denmark. I will be charged a 10+ EUR processing fee plus the Danish sales tax of 25%, which ends up again doubling the price  :(

So it is basically very expensive for me to buy cheap things from outside the EU. If I'm buying something like a full keyboard, the processing fee does not make a huge difference. But for small things like key caps, it just is not worth it.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 03:03:00 »
Thanks for the suggestion where else to buy them. Unfortunately, if I buy them from outside the EU, I will be completely ripped off when they arrive in Denmark. I will be charged a 10+ EUR processing fee plus the Danish sales tax of 25%, which ends up again doubling the price  :(

So it is basically very expensive for me to buy cheap things from outside the EU. If I'm buying something like a full keyboard, the processing fee does not make a huge difference. But for small things like key caps, it just is not worth it.

In Finland, if the value is under 20€ we don't pay any import or customs duties. Is it different in Denmark? Do they charge the processing fee for ALL items from outside EU? Still, the price is quite low, even at double (2x14 = 28 euro).

I ordered 2 sets and they arrived in my postbox without getting held in customs, unlike many other items I have ordered that cost more. Customs can be a real PITA sometimes.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline larsjuhljensen

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 08:15:58 »
In Denmark the limit is 80 DKK, which is ~11 EUR. And in my experience they do hold everything back in customs from outside EU that is over that limit. This not only costs but usually adds another week or two to the shipping time.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 16:01:47 »
In Denmark the limit is 80 DKK, which is ~11 EUR. And in my experience they do hold everything back in customs from outside EU that is over that limit. This not only costs but usually adds another week or two to the shipping time.

Ouch, that's painful.... I can't recall if they undervalued the sets on the packages and I don't have the packaging any more, so I can't say if the set would be flagged for processing or not.

I still think they're worth the money, though, even with the cost ending up double. It's hard to find blank white sets at the moment.

Do they do the same BS there as here where they include the shipping cost in the item price for calculating the fee? Quite ridiculous IMHO.

P.S. - I found the same set on ebay.co.uk, but they also ship from Asia. Also a 104 key blank white PBT set from Asia and some light gray ones from USA...
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 00:44:12 »

Ask the seller to put down a lower declaration value on the shipping documents, like $5 to save the trouble.
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 03:27:22 »

Ask the seller to put down a lower declaration value on the shipping documents, like $5 to save the trouble.

This can be done. Should also go through okay since they're just some pieces of plastic for a keyboard  ;)
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.