Author Topic: I need a budget PC  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
I need a budget PC
« on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:04:31 »
So I'd like to build a budget PC to be used with my television to stream movies over my network from the hard drive of my brother's computer. I need the cheapest, most reliable hardware available, as the only purpose this machine will serve is to be used for simple tasks such as web browsing and video streaming. The current machine I'm using for this is an old P4 box that is slower than dirt and can't stream in HD.

Possible courses of action:

- Buy an old Core 2 rig w/4GB RAM and throw in my old 1GB ATI GPU and 64GB SSD into it (most likely the cheapest option)
- Build a cheap AMD rig, and do the exact same thing with it (use my old parts to cut costs)
- Take suggestions from my fellow GHers (which is the whole purpose of this thread)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, please discuss.

- CLiB
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: I need a budget PC
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:27:41 »
Can't you just get a chromecast and use that?

Depending on what power costs, a more expensive modern solution (roku, etc.) may be cheaper after a few months than a power-hungry core2 duo.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:36:25 »
Raspberry Pi with XBMC?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline osi

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:54:41 »
Seconding a Chromecast, depending on your requirements.

The little bugger will turn my TV on and set it to the right input.

I haven't tried any of these but also there exists "android on a stick" options. HDMI stick like Chromecast but actually has android on it. Some can be had ~ $50

Offline divito

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:03:39 »
Raspberry Pi with XBMC?

This is definitely the cheapest option, and one that I have on an non-networked TV. Just throw Raspbmc (which is apparently changing to OSMC), on it and you'll be good to go.

Outside of that (and desiring something a little more powerful than a Pi), I built a mini-computer for my parents to utilize Windows with their small desk in the kitchen, as well as XBMC through wiring to a TV in their living room, with this. Put an SSD in it, RAM and it was good to go. It's a little finicky when it comes to multiple monitors, but given you're just using it with one TV, should have zero troubles.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:04:21 »

I haven't tried any of these but also there exists "android on a stick" options. HDMI stick like Chromecast but actually has android on it. Some can be had ~ $50

My problem with my Chromecast:

1. I have content at Amazon that I can't play on the Chromecast.

2. I have content at Vudu that I can't play on the Chromecast.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:07:11 »
If you have the actual (drm free) files then you might be able to still stream them. AllCast is pretty cool and lets you stream all kinds of stuff from your phone, google drive, dropbox, any dlna share, etc to chromecast, roku, xbox 360, apple tv (yes, you heard that right), and whatever else is out there.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 11:12:07 »
I need something that is capable of accessing MP4 and AVI files over the network that are stored on a Windows machine, is that something a Raspberry Pi or Chromecast could do?

ALSO NOTE:

Whatever device I get NEEDS to have an audio output that is independent from the HDMI connection, as the TV I will be connecting it to has a dead sound card, so all the audio is directed through an independent sound system.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 11:18:53 »
I would grab a Foxconn nT-iBT19, stick of 4GB and a mushkin atlas. Perfect htpc really and cheap.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 August 2014, 11:21:44 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline divito

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 11:27:43 »
I need something that is capable of accessing MP4 and AVI files over the network that are stored on a Windows machine, is that something a Raspberry Pi or Chromecast could do?

ALSO NOTE:

Whatever device I get NEEDS to have an audio output that is independent from the HDMI connection, as the TV I will be connecting it to has a dead sound card, so all the audio is directed through an independent sound system.

XBMC can do that just fine on the Pi or the Windows setup I mentioned. Pi also has separate sound output as does barebone PC I linked (though they pretty much all do).

Offline osi

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 11:43:38 »

This is true. There are limitations for sure with chromecast currently

Be on the lookout for a competing amazon clone of a Chromecast for their content in the future

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 11:56:17 »
I have a Roku and I'm never going back to anything else that TV or streaming has to offer...At least not any time soon. It's also hard to beat Black Friday sales on Newegg etc. If you build your own PC.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 12:08:44 »

This is true. There are limitations for sure with chromecast currently

Be on the lookout for a competing amazon clone of a Chromecast for their content in the future

Don't be lazy, bros, chromecase will sync with webpages.  Or buy the roku equivalent.

Another thought is to look for a used 360/ps3.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:47:12 »
Don't be lazy, bros, chromecase will sync with webpages.  Or buy the roku equivalent.

Another thought is to look for a used 360/ps3.
also doubles as a space heater.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 20:14:47 »
I used my pi for that for a while. Wait for android TV man, wait for it.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 10:00:55 »
you need a "REAL" htpc, not this xbmc or raspberry pi or chromecast garbage, nope you need a real fully functioning windows x machine. my htpc's have always been the computers i upgraded from, what i can say is that i'm pretty sure i bought a $20 ati card a year ago, and made sure it had HDMI. this let this one stupid 20card handle both audio and video out to my tv. i don't personally trust nvidia, since the last time i tried hdmi with audio sucked, so even a 20$ ati card will stream anything... yes yes 720/1080 is no issues what so ever, i have amazon /netflix/hulu all go through here, even a korean drama site.

i think the cheapest itx will probably work fine, with the amd all in ones. just have at least 4gigs.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 10:06:39 »
actually now i think about it, i think my bedroom htpc is using the motherboard video, since it was an amd board.

Offline divito

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 10:11:15 »
you need a "REAL" htpc, not this xbmc or raspberry pi or chromecast garbage,

XBMC is available for Windows; it's one of the options I listed above other than the Pi option, with a barebones system I linked.

While being pricier than a Pi with Raspbmc, a decent book-sized PC will run $300-500 after taxes (the one I built for my parents came to $390, so a little more juice will push it into slightly better performance). Throwing XBMC on it will allow free TV and movie plug-ins, along with anything on your network, and Yatse app for iOS or Android allows you to control it from your phone or tablet. I also have a small wireless keyboard with a mouse ball for regular PC use from afar.

actually now i think about it, i think my bedroom htpc is using the motherboard video, since it was an amd board.

Ya, most of the small ones have HDMI built-in now, and they're fairly decent.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 10:16:47 by divito »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 09:20:52 »
YOU NEED TO GET A PENTIUM III COMPUTER WITH WINDOWS 98. WINDOWS 98 FEATURES AWARD WINNING MULTIMEDIA TECHNOLOGY THAT WILL INTEGRATE PERFECTLY WITH YOUR DIGITAL TELEVISION EXPERIENCE.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 09:53:13 »
Can't you just get a chromecast and use that?

Depending on what power costs, a more expensive modern solution (roku, etc.) may be cheaper after a few months than a power-hungry core2 duo.

I have a chromecast and the product is beta at best. it needs more apps and the video quality is crap on most of the existing apps.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 10:28:52 »

3. I have content on Xfinity mobile that I can't play on the Chromecast.
4. I have content on Twitch that I can't play on chromecast. (it looks like @#$% with 3rd party solutions.)
5. Websites are very hard to navigate on a phone/tablet when projected on a tv and mobile browsers still suck.
In before Microsoft windows. ie6 would be a improvement over most mobile browsers. chrome mobile included.

Offline unplugmealready

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 22:01:33 »
I have a pi upstairs. They can be slow and sometimes crash but then again all hardware can. I stream directly from a file server in the other room. Also I have an OUYA I got bought last year that I play xbmc through. They aren't the best but they are pretty cheap and a 2nd hand one would do. I also have a chromecast but it gets really hot really fast but good with an app called castbuddy and allcast. Pi is your cheapest option though or ask on somewhere like fb if someone has any old tech they are throwing away. Someone once gave me a Toshiba satellite for nothing cause the screen was broke.  So I hooked it up to a monitor and job done! It even had hdmi.  So bonus!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 22:35:08 »
you need a "REAL" htpc, not this xbmc or raspberry pi or chromecast garbage,

XBMC is available for Windows; it's one of the options I listed above other than the Pi option, with a barebones system I linked.

While being pricier than a Pi with Raspbmc, a decent book-sized PC will run $300-500 after taxes (the one I built for my parents came to $390, so a little more juice will push it into slightly better performance). Throwing XBMC on it will allow free TV and movie plug-ins, along with anything on your network, and Yatse app for iOS or Android allows you to control it from your phone or tablet. I also have a small wireless keyboard with a mouse ball for regular PC use from afar.

Ya, most of the small ones have HDMI built-in now, and they're fairly decent.

XBMC is a great looking interface, but it doesn't produce the quality output like MPC-HC + Madvr..