Author Topic: Enter key stuck and not bouncing back..  (Read 7017 times)

Offline fatchoi

Enter key stuck and not bouncing back..
« on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:12:49 »
Hi all, recently I built a faceu 60% board. However, when I put the key caps on, there is a big problem with my enter key. The enter key is a standard one with cherry style stab.

I installed my SP dolch enter key but upon the enter just sinks and stuck, not bouncing back...

I tried installing another enter key I have (Poker x key set) and it works well.

Can anyone please help and give some advice?

Edit: forgot to mention my space bar is also working well. My backspace and the 2 shifts are split into 2 keys, so they don't have stab, thus no problem at all.

Offline cherpalla

Re: Enter key stuck and not bouncing back..
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:51:25 »
Does the second key you tested utilize the stab?
c h e r

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:30:07 »
The enter key that sticks - is it flag?  Can you put it on a flat surface and see if it wobbles from side to side.

Cherry stabilisers are notorious for low tolerance of warped keys :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 07:08:33 »
Does the second key you tested utilize the stab?

Yes, it does.

The enter key that sticks - is it flag?  Can you put it on a flat surface and see if it wobbles from side to side.

Cherry stabilisers are notorious for low tolerance of warped keys :(

Just tried, the key is flat. I indeed also tried the other backspace cap of the same width (dsa cap, so it's compatible) but also fail to work.

I guess the distance of the 3 stems of the SP cap (problematic one) is shorter than my poker (working great)...

Thanks both for replying. Hope I won't end up desoldering every switch and LEDs... My board has a plate and only pcb mounted stab is supported.
It's impossible to easily swap or add stab.  :-X

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 07:22:36 »
Next step is to measure, as accurately as you can, the spacing between the stems on both enter keys.

It could take only 0.5mm difference to make the key stick.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 08:49:35 »
Assuming you didn't put the stabs in Backwards..

put the stabs in.. and check for wobble

And check if the 3 holes in the cap are pointing straight down..    you may need to into the stab to compensate.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 15:34:54 »
Next step is to measure, as accurately as you can, the spacing between the stems on both enter keys.

^^
c h e r

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 01:55:58 »

Picture talks...  :)

Seems that there is tiny difference in the stem.

And check if the 3 holes in the cap are pointing straight down..    you may need to into the stab to compensate.

I followed someone else's assembly guide when I assemble the board. And I think it's impossible to invert the stab upside down because the holes in PCB are different between the top and the bottom. The wire is above the switch.

I think the caps' stem are vertical, because I tried another DSA profile backspace key of the same SP dolch set. Same problem..  :(

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:53:01 »

Picture talks...  :)

Show Image

Show Image

Seems that there is tiny difference in the stem.

I followed someone else's assembly guide when I assemble the board. And I think it's impossible to invert the stab upside down because the holes in PCB are different between the top and the bottom. The wire is above the switch.

I think the caps' stem are vertical, because I tried another DSA profile backspace key of the same SP dolch set. Same problem..  :(

There is a slight skewed angle here, so I can't really accurately measure the difference, but it does appear to be enough to cause a problem at the front of the key's base.
c h e r

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 11:18:47 »
put stabs into all three holes   ,  then lay a metal ruler ontop  and then on the side,   if it is the Stem,  you should see some spaces between the ruler and the stabs..