Author Topic: Stabilizer problems  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Keytrun

Stabilizer problems
« on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:00:45 »
So I have a filco keyboard that was feeling 'muddy. I took it apart to find that it was gross inside (I have cats). After cleaning it the 'muddyness' went away and now all of the keys feel great. The problem now is I'm having trouble with every single stabilizer key except spacebar. I needed to take the little black stabilizer clips out in order to clean them and ended up breaking a few of them in the process. I bought new ones from mechanicalkeyboard.com and I'm trying to use them with the plastic inserts and the wires that came with the keyboard. I know which direction the white inserts needs to face and I'm using krytox thick (not extra thick) lube. I'm painting the lube inside the black clips, as well as on the outside of the plastic inserts that fit inside the keys. Even doing that the keys just either stick all the way down or just don't come up all of the way every time I push it down - or if it does its slow and sticky. I've tried using a lot of lube and less lube. Still doesn't work.

I have no clue why I'm having so many issues but its very frustrating. Before I cleaned my keyboard I had every stabilizer key working perfectly and now I only have stabilizers attached to the spacebar. The other keys are naked. On some of the keys I had trouble with JUST the stabilizer clips. I didn't even have the inserts in the keys. Just having the black clip in its spot was causing the key to stick. Do I need to buy the WASD stabilizer clips too? Maybe the WASD clips aren't compatible with the filco inserts?

Thanks

Offline Keytrun

Re: Stabilizer problems
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:15:26 »
Double post. This damn site has been so laggy. Every time I've tried to post lately its timed out.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:35:44 »
There are several things that you need to check:
+Make sure the stabilizer wire is completely flat. If it is bent, it may create a resistance to either the keycap or the switch top.
+Make sure there is no gap between the Costar inserts and the keycap even if you use Teflon tape to buffer, try to make it neat and clean.
+Don't use too much lube. More lube may not help.
I like linear switches

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:55:10 »
Is the lube I have okay? Should I get something thicker? What do you mean 'no gap' between the insert and the key? Is there a way to straighten the wire if its bent?

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:04:13 »
Is the lube I have okay? Should I get something thicker? What do you mean 'no gap' between the insert and the key? Is there a way to straighten the wire if its bent?

The lube you have is more than ok. It's so good.
This is what I mean 'no gap' between the insert and the key
80157-0
If the wire is bent slightly, you can use a long nose pliers to bend it back.

It would be even better if you have a long nose pliers with non-serrated jaw to avoid scratching your wire.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:05:48 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:11:09 »

I've used general purpose grease, and that stuff is super super thick, works fine for stabilizers.

don't want to use that inside the switch though.

depending on the key, there MAY be a gap..

as far as stabilizers.. you need to manually make sure they're about straight in all axis..

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:44:48 »
Krytox thick is my go-to for stab lube. I've used Finish Line Extreme Fluoro in the past but it seems to dry out and get chunky/messy. So far Krytox thick has been the best stab lube I've ever used.

Make sure the black clips are fully seated on the plate. I've had issues in the past where the black clips were not fully seated on the plate which caused their inner clearance where the white inserts travel to get reduced enough to cause hanging. Try wiggling the black plate clip left and right and it might be enough that it will fully seat into the cutouts. Also, try expanding it outwards with your fingers (installed) and that might help it to seat as well.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:50:02 »
Krytox thick is my go-to for stab lube. I've used Finish Line Extreme Fluoro in the past but it seems to dry out and get chunky/messy. So far Krytox thick has been the best stab lube I've ever used.

I'm pretty sure Finish Line Extreme Fluoro is Krytox 204. The reason is dry out quickly because it has quite low viscosity (ISO grade 68) perhaps.
I like linear switches

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 20:36:08 »
How do I know if the wire is straight or not? It has a little bend in it to fit around the key.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 20:40:47 »
How do I know if the wire is straight or not? It has a little bend in it to fit around the key.
That little bend is legit but it is vulnerable and easy to cause the trouble of bouncing the bottom keycap.
It is why you can see some people decide to sand their lovely keycap.
Make sure apart from the corner, everything is straight.
You can work around the issue with trial and error.
I like linear switches