Author Topic: RealForce ergonomically weighted vs constant weight?  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
RealForce ergonomically weighted vs constant weight?
« on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:42:25 »
I'm currently contemplating getting a Topre keyboard to try it out. I do a ton of writing (novels, blog, forums), and although I do play games too, I'm far more concerned about how the typing feels on a keyboard, as writing fiction is my main focus in life right now. I'm interested in Topre keyboards because of all those claims that they are the best for serious typists. (BTW, I touch-type. Learned it back in the mid-80's while in middle-school and have been doing it ever since).

I'm very interested in the "ergonomically weighted" option for RealForce keyboards, but there's no way for me to try one in person, since stores in my area would never carry such a novelty product, and I seem to have missed all recent keyboard community meets (or don't live close enough to attend). I could just bite the bullet and order one online and then if I don't like it, I could sell it, but without having a non-ergonomically weighted version to compare against, how would I know which is better?

I've scoured the web for reviews and discussions, but there aren't a lot of good information on the subject. So I figured I ought to ask the community here and see if those of you who have experience with the ergonomically weighted version of the RealForce can give me your opinion on the it.

As for what my preferences are, I've only briefly tried blue Cherry MX keyboards at a store recently, and really liked how responsive it felt and sounded (very reassuring, and kind of hypnotic and musical--made me feel like I was getting **** done). Other than that, I only have experience with typical keyboards. The best keyboard I've owned so far is the Logitech G110, but that's just a standard keyboard. I did order an Unicomp Endurapro, but it wont arrive for a few days, so I can't say how I feel about it yet (I purchased because of the reputation of the buckling spring switch for serious typists, and I didn't want to buy ancient IBM Model M's that have no warranty and lack modern features).

The main reason I want to upgrade to high-end keyboards is because I've noticed that typing on the standard cheap keyboards, I often feel like I have to exert too much force, and sometimes I miss keys due to not applying enough force (although having silicon keyboard protective sheet placed over the keys isn't helping, but I need it because I've "customized" the keys with enamel paint to highlight specific keys, and without the protector, they rub off too quickly and reapplying the paint is a pain in the ass). I might end up with the NovaTouch instead due to this reason--I want customization and RealForce isn't compatible with the abundant Cherry MX keycaps on the market. The custom keycaps I saw on ebay for RealForce were extremely expensive. But if the ergonomically weighted design is significantly superior, then I'll likely accept the limitations because the feel of the typing is the most important to me.

Anyway, please share your experience with the ergonomically weighted option for RealForce keyboards--it'll help me make my purchasing decision.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 01:25:33 by Lunatique »

Offline tbc

Re: RealForce ergonomically weighted vs constant weight?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 05:10:09 »
i'm a full time programmer and i find that i'm just barely below the amount of typing where having an ergo weighted board means that i get the benefit of reduced fatigue.

a novelist or secretary will DEFINITELY hit the 'keypress quota' for the weighting scheme to kick in.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 06:53:35 »
The variable-weight Topre experience varies by person like everything. Some people love it, some hate it — I never noticed it at all. Topre took a bit of getting used to for me, but I was never consciously aware of the variable weighting and it certainly never bothered me — my Realforce variable-weight was the keyboard I was able to type the most accurately on.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 09:14:09 »
I have not tried the variable weight RF. However, I have a uniform 55g at home. At work, I have two workstations; one has a uniform 45g and the other has a uniform 55g. Sometimes the 45g feels too light. For me, I anticipate that having 30g weighting on some of the keys would be far too light. However, the variables have been on the market for a long time, and they are still selling, so it seems that many people like them. RF boards have a high resale value; you might just have to try a variable and a uniform side by side and sell the one you prefer less.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 09:20:17 »
Personally, I would be hesitant to recommend a Topre board if you really liked the MX Blues you tried.  Do not expect Topre to feel anything like Cherry Blues. Topre feels unlike any other switch I've ever tried. The tactile point is very soft, to the point where if you press a key slowly it almost feels linear. The MX Blue is going to have a very defined, crisp tactile response along with the click noise. Topre just feels like a high-quality rubber dome board whereas Cherry switches have a whole different, very mechanical feel to them.

I don't think you could go wrong finding a nice MX Blue board like a Filco (Best), a Ducky (Better), or even a CM Storm (Good). If you're looking to customize keys I would avoid boards like Corsair or Leopold due to the non-standard layout of the bottom row and how hard it can be to find keys for them.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 10:35:38 »
Aside from the vast difference between MX Blues and Topre, I think as long as you have a) proper typing form and b) type long prose then you sound like exactly the person the variable weighted board was made for.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:05:48 »
If you're just typing, the ergo weighted board is seriously the way to go.

I play a lot of video games, so I got the constant weight variant.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 17:51:22 »
Thanks for the replies.

I likely won't need to play games on my main typing keyboard, since I have the Logitech G110 placed right behind my main keyboard so I could use its 12 macro buttons easily (the G110 sits between my main keyboard and the monitor). Also, the G110 is backlit, so if I want to turn off the lights and play a horror game or watch a movie, I already have a back-lit keyboard ready to be moved to the main position (it's a quick swap that only takes a few seconds). I don't mind gaming on the G110 at all, since I'm really not that picky when it comes to gaming (I don't play competitively--I play for the storytelling immersion mainly these days).

I think the logical thing to do, is to just buy the ergonomically weighted version since that's the only way for me to find out if I'll like it, and if I don't, then I'll at least have three different key weights on that keyboard to assess whether I'll like a uniformly weighted, or that I'm simply not a Topre person at all.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 17:54:37 »
Thanks for the replies.

I likely won't need to play games on my main typing keyboard, since I have the Logitech G110 placed right behind my main keyboard so I could use its 12 macro buttons easily (the G110 sits between my main keyboard and the monitor). Also, the G110 is backlit, so if I want to turn off the lights and play a horror game or watch a movie, I already have a back-lit keyboard ready to be moved to the main position (it's a quick swap that only takes a few seconds). I don't mind gaming on the G110 at all, since I'm really not that picky when it comes to gaming (I don't play competitively--I play for the storytelling immersion mainly these days).

I think the logical thing to do, is to just buy the ergonomically weighted version since that's the only way for me to find out if I'll like it, and if I don't, then I'll at least have three different key weights on that keyboard to assess whether I'll like a uniformly weighted, or that I'm simply not a Topre person at all.

That seems pretty reasonable to me. I swap keyboards all the time, and I can assure you it's pretty quick.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90