Author Topic: What does GH do for a living?  (Read 20761 times)

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: What does GH do for a living?
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 06:34:03 »
Construction.
buenos di~~~ i mean, you are cool!
Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too. haha
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 06:42:07 »
I did use to work on tanks in the army though, and this was a daily occurence...

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline iri

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 06:55:11 »
ah, yeah, tanks, daily occurrence...

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 06:59:46 »
I started out as a comic book artist/writer and illustrator.

I then was a songwriter for pop-stars for a bit.

I then worked in the video game industry as artist and art director.

I then worked in animation as a writer, director, and art director.

I then worked as a photographer for a bit.

I then worked as a composer for video games and film.

I then worked as an instructor for art/CG.

I'm now focused on writing novels in my free-time (while teaching art/CG). After having done all those different creative jobs, I find being a novelist the most agreeable with my lone-wolf personality. I can play well with others in a team and I'm a good leader and teacher, but my preference is to work alone and do my own thing.

Cool.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 07:00:22 »
Lot of engineers up in this place, what a shock hahaha

I'm an engineer too.  :cool:

Does wishing I'd continued in college or went back to college for EE degree count as being an engineer?

Never too late man! After 7 odd years of hating life working as a desktop tech I taught myself Java, after a year of that I moved on to Android development and now 9 months later I'm working at an awesome company with great people. Best decision I've ever made apart from quitting drinking.

I didn't drink for a few days this week, it felt great.  Should try it more often.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 07:01:59 »
Lot of engineers up in this place, what a shock hahaha

I'm an engineer too.  :cool:

Does wishing I'd continued in college or went back to college for EE degree count as being an engineer?

Never too late man! After 7 odd years of hating life working as a desktop tech I taught myself Java, after a year of that I moved on to Android development and now 9 months later I'm working at an awesome company with great people. Best decision I've ever made apart from quitting drinking.

I didn't drink for a few days this week, it felt great.  Should try it more often.
I love having my weekends back the most, most Saturdays and Sundays I'd be too hungover to do much useful.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline iri

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 07:37:50 »
Best decision I've ever made apart from quitting drinking.
quitting drinking was your best decision ever? :( :( :( :( :(
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 07:40:03 »
For me definitely. I'm one of those 'one is too many and ten isn't enough' kind of drinkers.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 07:44:01 »
For me definitely. I'm one of those 'one is too many and ten isn't enough' kind of drinkers.

Guess it depends on your style.  Losing your weekends because you drank too much is fun for awhile for those of us with the privilege to attend college, but it gets old after awhile when you can't concentrate for the whole day afterwards.

I rarely, if ever, drink heavy anymore, but I like to have a glass or two of wine a few times a week.  When I take a few days off, my body seems to respond well.  Makes me think I want to drop the wine habit so I can concentrate and produce more outside of my job.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 08:04:01 »
I'm rather disappointed everyone's got these none colorful occupations..

Where are the Grave-diggers
The Hitmen
The internet dominatrix
The kungfu master who works as a green grocer..

sigh.........

Offline iri

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 08:15:15 »
I like to have a glass or two of wine a few times a week
you drink just like my wife does on weekdays.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 08:55:37 »

I'm looking into a sex change, so it makes sense.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 09:52:07 »

dah...... LOL...

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 10:30:26 »
Web developer and designer.

I work for a small firm in the photography business, I handle their websites, their social media and any new websites that they need building, I create them.

I also work for myself as a freelance web developer, this pretty much ensures that my social life is very limited! but hey, all about dat monayyyyyy.
你搞砸了

Offline iri

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 10:36:05 »

Confirmed camgirl career path.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 12:59:53 »

Flaunt it if you got it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 13:06:49 »

see, i was right all along.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 13:11:48 »
software engineer

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 13:37:51 »
I started out as a comic book artist/writer and illustrator.

I then was a songwriter for pop-stars for a bit.

I then worked in the video game industry as artist and art director.

I then worked in animation as a writer, director, and art director.

I then worked as a photographer for a bit.

I then worked as a composer for video games and film.

I then worked as an instructor for art/CG.

I'm now focused on writing novels in my free-time (while teaching art/CG). After having done all those different creative jobs, I find being a novelist the most agreeable with my lone-wolf personality. I can play well with others in a team and I'm a good leader and teacher, but my preference is to work alone and do my own thing.

That's some good experience that you have here! Your avatar choice makes sense now.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline pnutster

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 14:05:01 »
I am the jack-of-all-trades / troubleshooter guy in a Canadian webdev company.

Official title: Senior Technical Support Analyst

No formal education in any of the web dev stuff... can't program, can't do all the fancy stuff, I just analyze and try to use logic to figure out what is causing the problems...  shhhhhh don't tell the others...
Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 08:08:04 »
Customer service rep in an Islamic bank.

Do local casting/ tournament organization on the side.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 08:21:01 »

What kind of tournament?

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 09:57:42 »

What kind of tournament?

Usually Dota 2, League of legends and any other competitive game cafes want us to organize. Really, it's just a hobby for now but me and the other guys doing this are pushing for bigger and better  :)

twitch.tv/megamingtv is where we cast from, although the tournament scene has been a bit dry lately.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 11:20:32 »

What kind of tournament?

Usually Dota 2, League of legends and any other competitive game cafes want us to organize. Really, it's just a hobby for now but me and the other guys doing this are pushing for bigger and better  :)

twitch.tv/megamingtv is where we cast from, although the tournament scene has been a bit dry lately.

That's awesome.

I image it's quite hard to push eSports in places where it's never been big. It's similar in the UK, where the scene exists, but the quality of players isn't there, and the interest from sponsors isn't there either.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 11:38:01 »

What kind of tournament?

That's definitely cool!

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 13:33:48 »

That's awesome.

I image it's quite hard to push eSports in places where it's never been big. It's similar in the UK, where the scene exists, but the quality of players isn't there, and the interest from sponsors isn't there either.

Definitely one of the biggest issues is the high turn over of people here. Places like the USA, Europe, and regionally Jordan have a more solid foundation to build their scenes. Dubai, and the GCC in general, have populations that are constantly in flux because they compromise mostly of foreigners. Because of that we have a lot of 'uneducated'/young gamers who are superficially interested in competitive gaming, so you see a lot of exploitation from groups like Power League Gaming who take advantage of foreign companies unwillingness to personally invest in the region and hold sham events and tournaments just to say they have 'reach' in the region.

Since a lot of the people affected by their actions will leave the country, you don't have much accountability for your actions sadly.

There are other orgs here but they're generally insular/ afraid of new people so it's hard to connect with them or build better connections. For all intents and purposes, I act like I'm the first person to do this since everyone I've met doesn't want to grow the field if it means other people will enter it.

You'll find a lot of talk of "we're doing it for the community" and "we're only for the gamers" from orgs here and then find out they're taking out of prize pools and getting nice deals with sponsors. I'm upfront about our 'for profit' status which has bothered some people but I think it's healthier for everyone approaching it like that.

That's definitely cool!

Thanks, it's something that needs a lot of work and we're always pushing to improve the quality of our broadcasts. We don't have anything or anyone to really go off of here, so we're kind of working on building a good foundation for casting in the region outside of the few corporate 'shill' casters here. Slow and steady.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 18:10:59 »

That's awesome.

Definitely one of the biggest issues is the high turn over of people here. Places like the USA, Europe, and regionally Jordan have a more solid foundation to build their scenes. Dubai, and the GCC in general, have populations that are constantly in flux because they compromise mostly of foreigners. Because of that we have a lot of 'uneducated'/young gamers who are superficially interested in competitive gaming, so you see a lot of exploitation from groups like Power League Gaming who take advantage of foreign companies unwillingness to personally invest in the region and hold sham events and tournaments just to say they have 'reach' in the region.

Since a lot of the people affected by their actions will leave the country, you don't have much accountability for your actions sadly.

There are other orgs here but they're generally insular/ afraid of new people so it's hard to connect with them or build better connections. For all intents and purposes, I act like I'm the first person to do this since everyone I've met doesn't want to grow the field if it means other people will enter it.

You'll find a lot of talk of "we're doing it for the community" and "we're only for the gamers" from orgs here and then find out they're taking out of prize pools and getting nice deals with sponsors. I'm upfront about our 'for profit' status which has bothered some people but I think it's healthier for everyone approaching it like that.

That's definitely cool!

Thanks, it's something that needs a lot of work and we're always pushing to improve the quality of our broadcasts. We don't have anything or anyone to really go off of here, so we're kind of working on building a good foundation for casting in the region outside of the few corporate 'shill' casters here. Slow and steady.
Yeah I bet this requires so much work. Considering you're doing it on your spare time that's real nice. A friend of mine created an org around a team he created also. IIRC it was for StarCraft 2. However it started to grow and he wasn't able to dedicate the needed time. I think he shut it down but he helped his players to find another good org before.

I'll definitely check out your stream.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 13:01:49 »
I've been a stay at home father for the past 6 years.. before that I was basically professionally not paying taxes.  I drove a cab for a couple years.  When I was younger (round 96 til 01) I mostly made money buying/selling/trading Magic: the Gathering cards and playing in tournaments (and side drafts for $$)

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 13:24:39 »
prostitution
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 13:28:20 »
prostitution
based off your hint, my guess was Pet Food Processing Machine Operator.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 13:37:59 »
prostitution
based off your hint, my guess was Pet Food Processing Machine Operator.
oh no that was procrastinating, this is my annual income source
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 14:31:32 »
Work at TK Maxx (TJ Maxx or TJ's to you Americans). I enjoy being in retail, but need more hours so after I've had my paternity leave, gonna have to find something with around double the hours.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 16:35:12 »
I'm creating a startup with 2 others friends of mine and it should done in the coming weeks. Looking forward!  :thumb:

Offline neverused

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 16:46:36 »
Quality Engineer

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 17:13:06 »
Joined a touring band after being kicked outta school and a few years later became a well paid musician...
Got married and worked as a
-Mechanic
-Outage Laborer
-Kitchen Manager
-Bicycle Mechanic
-Construction
-Dish Washer and the list goes on...

Now I do federally regulated security for nuclear materials AKA officer at a nuclear site.
It's like watching paint dry... but I do get to shoot a lot of guns! wooooo merica
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 17:16:19 »
Instrument technician at a power plant. I'm hoping to transfer into the data center field soon though.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 17:30:50 »
So many engineers, and plant related job...

This is what Im imagining

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 17:38:22 »
Work assisting the handicap. Sorta like a caregiver with a handful of side jobs.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 17:43:34 »

Show Image

"i post about having a hhkb on gh everything is fine"
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 17:48:42 »

Show Image

You'd be surprised how close that reference is.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 18:12:51 »

Show Image

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure this is what the operators think I do.    :))

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 18:20:29 »
Now I do federally regulated security for nuclear materials AKA officer at a nuclear site.
It's like watching paint dry... but I do get to shoot a lot of guns! wooooo merica

Lucky....

My government job just has me meeting with and talking to crazy people and making sure their benefits are squared away...amongst a ton of other minutiae.  I wish we got to shoot guns.

Offline motherbrain

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 18:41:12 »

Lucky....

My government job just has me meeting with and talking to crazy people and making sure their benefits are squared away...amongst a ton of other minutiae.  I wish we got to shoot guns.
Speaking of government jobs and shooting guns, i work for the police department.  Information Systems Advisor 2.  Basically, I find new and interesting ways to count dead bodies, etc. using c-o-m-p-u-t-o-r-s

KBT Vortex One MX Green // IBM Model M // Dell AT101W

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 18:58:28 »
Joined a touring band after being kicked outta school and a few years later became a well paid musician...
Got married and worked as a
-Mechanic
-Outage Laborer
-Kitchen Manager
-Bicycle Mechanic
-Construction
-Dish Washer and the list goes on...

That's awesome. I always wanted to work with nukes.

To make money I work in an engineering department, lots of secrecy, that is all.

I also do some other completely non-engineering related side work occasionally but it's not for making money, more of a calling really.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:03:02 »

I also do some other completely non-engineering related side work occasionally but it's not for making money, more of a calling really.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:18:19 »
Litigation support. Woo.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:20:23 »
Urban Planner - I create cities!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:25:29 »

As do I, my friend
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:41:30 »

So weird. One of my friends up here does the same. Toronto?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:27:55 »

So weird. One of my friends up here does the same. Toronto?

Yeah, I live in Toronto ;). Honestly, Planning is a really small world.

Show Image

As do I, my friend

Awesome game :D.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 February 2015, 21:19:19 by Dreamre »