Author Topic: What router do you current use?  (Read 25010 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What router do you current use?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 11:17:58 »
Holy necro!

It's all about pfSense these days, running it on a little embedded platform, you can get the APU hardware for around $200 straight from pcengines (designer) or minibox (us distro)

What are you guys using pfsense to configure.. ?

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 13:59:51 »
I use a tplink dual band n600 on stock firmware. It's been a champ for 3 years since I got it initially, but only starting recently its been a little wonky, causing extreme network spikes that can be fixed by a reboot. I'm thinking of finally putting DD-WRT on it...

Offline N3RDLY

• G33k.works
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 21:20:56 »
Holy necro!

It's all about pfSense these days, running it on a little embedded platform, you can get the APU hardware for around $200 straight from pcengines (designer) or minibox (us distro)

What are you guys using pfsense to configure.. ?

pfsense is so 3 years ago. :p Step up son ;D

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 21:37:09 »
LINKSYS EA8500 got it for 90 on amazon warehouse deals  :thumb:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 08:14:45 »
ASUS RT-N66U. Best thing EVER so far. Never had a crash or packet drop. Rock solid for the last 3 years. But I did flash it with Merlin I believe.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 23:24:16 »
Netgear Nighthawk (R7000) has been running like a champ since the day I got it, about 2 years ago-ish.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 00:01:21 »

It's all I've used for the better part of a decade. Better than "Enterprise" crap that starts out at $8,000. Can be used at the home or even in a production environment.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 01:13:00 »
Nighthawk! You gotta say it like that, with the exclamation mark.

Nighthawk!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 07:07:37 »

It's all I've used for the better part of a decade. Better than "Enterprise" crap that starts out at $8,000. Can be used at the home or even in a production environment.

Never heard of it... is it software / hardware? I don't really understand their site.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:11:20 »

Nighthawk!

would be even cooler if you made the screeching hawk sounds at the end of it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:15:01 »

Nighthawk!

Aww man, solo project time. Got to put a tiny speaker inside of it and have it screech with freedom every time you press the wps button.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:16:02 »

Nighthawk!

Aww man, solo project time. Got to put a tiny speaker inside of it and have it screech with freedom every time you press the wps button.

That would be really cool.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:22:51 »

Never heard of it... is it software / hardware? I don't really understand their site.

It's an OS based on BSD. With tons of packages for traffic analysis, high grade VPNs, IPS/WAF/IDS, firewall, and it gets as "granular" as you want. You can put it on all kinds of hardware. At home I just use an old PC with a couple of NICs. You can download an image for free. They only charge for support.

They stared selling hardware a few years ago. I think to try to move into the Enterprise market. Most companies still like to buy hardware platforms for network routing/security.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:24:54 »

It's an OS based on BSD. With tons of packages for traffic analysis, high grade VPNs, IPS/WAF/IDS, firewall, and it gets as "granular" as you want. You can put it on all kinds of hardware. At home I just use an old PC with a couple of NICs. You can download an image for free. They only charge for support.

They stared selling hardware a few years ago. I think to try to move into the Enterprise market. Most companies still like to buy hardware platforms for network routing/security.

Thanks! Sounds really cool but also a intimidating. Really hardcore.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:30:06 »

Thanks! Sounds really cool but also a intimidating. Really hardcore.

The really cool thing about it is that it's easy to use. There is a nice GUI and you can configure 98% via point-n-click. I think it's a good platform for beginners up to CISSPs. Great way to learn about Enterprise routing without having to drop tons of money on Cisco hardware or take classes. It can be as simple or as complex as you like.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Connly33

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 13:57:57 »
Right now im running a NetGear WNDR 3800, whatever the sub model number is for the premium edition.  Got it on ebay a couple years ago for $20 because i needed a good gigabit Ethernet, 5Ghz n Router for my home network. It will run DD WRT but it has an issue where every few reboots it goes back to stock firmware. so i just keep it stock because i need it to be reliable.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:37:46 »
The really cool thing about it is that it's easy to use. There is a nice GUI and you can configure 98% via point-n-click. I think it's a good platform for beginners up to CISSPs. Great way to learn about Enterprise routing without having to drop tons of money on Cisco hardware or take classes. It can be as simple or as complex as you like.

That's really cool! I should try it someday.. So much side projects already.