Author Topic: Acer announced a 1440p IPS 144hz G-Sync display  (Read 3341 times)

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Acer announced a 1440p IPS 144hz G-Sync display
« on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 17:19:16 »
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2015/151682

I suppose if you're going to spend a ton of money on a monitor, you might as well go all in.

I'm personally going to wait for 16:10 to get some market recognition, but this shows where the market is going.  :(
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Acer announced a 1440p IPS 144hz G-Sync display
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 17:20:51 »
I'm not sure I would trust an Acer display.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 18:04:13 »
Cool. I'll wait for one of those Korean off brand to release B panel version for $250.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 18:22:55 »
There's probably an ideal screen size for top level gaming since the eyes have that much more delay to scan a bigger screen.

Not sure if 1440p +144hz (usually sought out by gamers) would be all too synergistic. This may not be true since the subject on screen would be centered in the screen most of the time.

Anyway, I might be interested but Acer wouldn't be my top choice either.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 January 2015, 18:26:04 by sorijealut »

Offline tbc

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 19:15:14 »
never used acer...but I heard they really got into shape with their premium products.

what kinda GPU power does 144hz 1440p need in general?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 19:16:01 »
never used acer...but I heard they really got into shape with their premium products.

what kinda GPU power does 144hz 1440p need in general?

Pair of high end cards if you want to have reasonable frame rates.

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 09:01:19 »
I'm kind of waiting for a 21:9 3440x1440 display with 144 Hz (or 120). Hope I don't have to wait for too long. :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 13:24:48 »
Hrrrmm...   Fingers crossed for ULMB...

I'm hoping for ulmb, + 99-110 coverage of argb   

I doubt the later will happen, it'd probably be over $1000 if that's the case...

Still.....  It might happen if they use an A- panel.. instead

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 16:20:34 »
Probably don't really need SLI, a single gtx970 or better would likely suffice. With the higher pixel density you don't have to have AA cranked way up for it to look good which will help with framerate. I have only a gtx670 2GB card and most of the time I am not bothered by low frame rates and I always play everything at 1440p unless the game is not an option to go that high. I'm much more interested in the gsync / adaptive sync features for when the frame rate goes down, it will seem smoother still instead of going all jerky. I kind of like a low level adaptive brightness on the backlighting as well these days.
For FPS and stuff I really like the larger screen, it takes up more of my periphery and feels a lot more 'immersive' than smaller screens. I would be interested in trying some of those curved panels that are coming out now too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 January 2015, 16:23:34 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 17:44:16 »
Probably don't really need SLI, a single gtx970 or better would likely suffice. With the higher pixel density you don't have to have AA cranked way up for it to look good which will help with framerate. I have only a gtx670 2GB card and most of the time I am not bothered by low frame rates and I always play everything at 1440p unless the game is not an option to go that high. I'm much more interested in the gsync / adaptive sync features for when the frame rate goes down, it will seem smoother still instead of going all jerky. I kind of like a low level adaptive brightness on the backlighting as well these days.
For FPS and stuff I really like the larger screen, it takes up more of my periphery and feels a lot more 'immersive' than smaller screens. I would be interested in trying some of those curved panels that are coming out now too.

I find Gsync to be pointless..

I don't even want to play the game if it drops below 60 too often...  I just flat out don't want to... I paid for this game... you make it at least 60... i don't care if you have to cut out some of the mountains in the background...

If the directors can't do that much.. screw this game...

ULMB is the key element to be after..

it would also be nice if we could get argb,

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 19:24:46 »
True... too much bad performance is really just down to poorly optimized or just poorly written code. I keep hoping it will get better now that consoles are also x86-64... but it is still probably only hope. Too many game devs are just simply too lazy to bother reoptimize for pc in a more general sense. They could just start by targeting a smaller section of hardware and having steeper minimum requirements (like just have the equivalent of what in the console be the minimum) but then they are too worried about loosing sales to people that are still running on only dual core with gpu from like 9 years ago. You gotta cut it off someday, why not today?

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 06:16:36 »
This is exactly what I need for streaming low-quality videos on YouTube!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 13:26:29 »
That Asus model looks pretty decent too... I expect there will be a LOT of similar models being released in the coming months, many of which will be at considerable lower price points from the Korean brands.

For streaming low quality you tube these won't cut it... clearly you need to go 4K for that.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:09:19 »
to think i was about to buy the ASUS ROG PG278Q to replace my Ultrasharp U2711

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:34:28 »
to think i was about to buy the ASUS ROG PG278Q to replace my Ultrasharp U2711

considering how hard it is to by the Swift,   and how long away the IPS will be..

You should STILL buy the swift, if it's sold at a reasonable price in your area.

The people who "WAIT" 1.5 years to buy something..   HOW MANY 1.5 years do you have..

even more pertinent, how many 1.5 years do you have before you're too damn old to enjoy life-itself...

Talk to most 55-60 year olds.. they're already on the I-ready-to-die track..

If you want something.. That's good, relish the feeling, and seriously buy it as soon as possible..

Offline howthegodschill

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:56:28 »
True... too much bad performance is really just down to poorly optimized or just poorly written code. I keep hoping it will get better now that consoles are also x86-64... but it is still probably only hope. Too many game devs are just simply too lazy to bother reoptimize for pc in a more general sense. They could just start by targeting a smaller section of hardware and having steeper minimum requirements (like just have the equivalent of what in the console be the minimum) but then they are too worried about loosing sales to people that are still running on only dual core with gpu from like 9 years ago. You gotta cut it off someday, why not today?
Because of well optimized Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes for the PC was, I now feel spoiled and pissed off if a PC game isn't optimized as well.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 16:10:37 »
My next computer's monitor should be a 34" curved, 21:9, 3440×1440, IPS panel with Freesync. The LG 34UC87M fits those requirements.
It has about the same height and pixel resolution as a 27" 2560×1440, only wider. I wouldn't mind a little bit higher resolution though.
🍉

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 17:12:58 »
My next computer's monitor should be a 34" curved, 21:9, 3440�1440, IPS panel with Freesync. The LG 34UC87M fits those requirements.
It has about the same height and pixel resolution as a 27" 2560�1440, only wider. I wouldn't mind a little bit higher resolution though.
I've seen the LG-34UM95-P. I'm sure that would be a great screen for productivity and work.

I like the idea of G-Sync. Especially since I don't upgrade my monitor too often and often play games until the pc really cannot take it anymore.
Still rocking a 2008 HP 1920x1200 monitor. I'll either use it till it dies or hand it down to my parents.

I've had my eye on the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q for a while. This Acer just seems like a slightly more affordable option.
The IPS ASUS MG279Q looks like a pretty good option as well but I know that the G-Sync part accounts for a $100-150 difference in price.

Guess we will see which version becomes dominant. G-Sync or Freesync. I have time.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline howthegodschill

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 23:18:58 »
Hopefully the price is right on this one. I've still got my heart set on a 34UM95.

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 15:33:24 »
I was about to buy an IPS panel having decided I'll take colour accuracy and viewing angles over speed, but if I can have my cake and eat it I just need to know how much this cake is going to be.

I can wait a bit longer for some reviews if these are out next month.

Because of well optimized Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes for the PC was, I now feel spoiled and pissed off if a PC game isn't optimized as well.

I was surprised at how well Ground Zeroes ran, that Fox Engine is something.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 15:35:08 by oledome »

Offline Korth

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 02:28:09 »
Yeah, thread necro.  And from a noob.  But that being said:

Ain't no way in hell would I ever pay this kind of money for Acer.

That is all.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 07:22:04 »
Yeah, thread necro.  And from a noob.  But that being said:

Ain't no way in hell would I ever pay this kind of money for Acer.

That is all.

as long as the panel is from a good source and high grade..  it doesn't really matter which oem puts the rest together..

this isn't 2007 with the capacitor crisis..

Offline Korth

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:30:52 »
I'm of the opinion that it does matter.  The panel quality and capacities are critical, true, but the logic board and sundry electrical components which drive the panel are just as significant.

The specs for this Acer XG270HU are advertised as 27" 16:9 WQHD(2560x1440), 60/120/144Hz, <1ms, G-Sync ... all the same as the Asus PG278Q, except it promises the wider viewing angles and colour depth inherent to an IPS panel, and with an even higher insane price tag.

Asus has demonstrated their ability to design, improve, and build cutting-edge tech for years.  Albeit primarily on overengineered motherboards and graphic cards, not so much on monitors and peripherals.  Their ROG-branded products are ridiculously robust, they overclock (or factory overclock) well, and they consistently offer only the very best quality in every part.  Expensive, too, and even though you do get what you pay for you also pay a considerably inflated premium to sport ROG gear.

Acer has demonstrated a mastery of low- and mid-end computer manufacturing for years, able to deliver economy and value to market segments where price point is all important.  They have never fared well with their enthusiast or high-end niche offerings and they have a well-established (if perhaps unfair) reputation for making cheap junk.  Acer products are notorious for being built around bottom-binned components which can only perform reliably at their minimum rated spec.  No "future-proofing" buffer, no overclocking potential, only cheap and basic performance and some tendency to break easily.  Acer is an economic innovator, not a technological one, and their attempts to add new cutting-edge functionality tend to fall somewhere between mediocre, uninspired, and useless.

These monitors target enthusiasts interested only in high-performance, high-reliability, high-quality gear, a customer base which is very particular about needs/wants and willing to pay exhorbitant prices to attain top gear.  Asus is a pioneer and leader in terms of communicating intimately with this market segment, of shaping their top-tier products with exactly the improvements these customers want, and of enthusiastically embracing modding and overclocking and record-breaking performance, their support has real substance and they are highly motivated to make their brand something (expensive) to brag about.  While Acer is just a big corporate OEM/ODM trying to feel their way into an untapped and potentially lucrative market.

I might be wrong, this XG270HU could be a phenomenal monitor (and it better be, for that price!).  But I expect it to be as cheap and junky as everything else Acer makes, I expect it to cut corners (and my experience is that once a company is willing to cut a corner, they focus on sparing no expense in cutting every corner possible), in short, I expect it to be plagued with issues and ultimately fail.  While I also expect a PG278Q would perform admirably under hard conditions for many years.

I challenge Acer to convince me otherwise.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:39:45 by Korth »