Author Topic: Climbing Thread  (Read 6798 times)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Climbing Thread
« on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 13:08:31 »
It seems like there are a ton of climbers on GH but as far as I can tell there isn't a climbing thread which sucks.

I personally have been climbing for about two years and I absolutely love it. I figured this thread could be about training, climbing adventures, and maybe questions about gear. I currently boulder V5 and lead 5.10c - 5.11a but I'm injured so I'm currently taking a break. I have yet to try trad but I'll probably do some this summer.  :thumb:

I also builder and free climb but I'm reckless and stupid. Don't do either if you aren't confident in your ability. Seriously.

Gear
Harness: Petzl Adjama
ATC: Mammut Smart (not a grigri fan but I like Edes)
Shoes: Cheap pair of Mad Rock shoes that are comfy and I can run/ hike in, 5.10 Arrowheads
Chalk: Liquid and loose for bouldering, mix of loose and chunks for lead

90230-0
Me free climbing Sugar Loaf on Mackinac Island, really fun but the last 25ft are really unstable rock. I scared myself on the down climb.  :)
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Climbing Thread
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 16:28:46 »
I climb! Only have shoes at the moment though. I'll take some pictures when I get home.  :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 16:54:16 »
I used to quite seriously.  Not these days.  I lived in Tibet for about a year and did some mountaineering there, and helped pioneer the China climbing scene back in 2002-2008.  Climbed in Thailand (fun), Joshua Tree (crowded), and the Diamond on Long's Peak (long and cold).  I'll try to scare up some pics one of these days.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 17:23:22 »
I used to quite seriously.  Not these days.  I lived in Tibet for about a year and did some mountaineering there, and helped pioneer the China climbing scene back in 2002-2008.  Climbed in Thailand (fun), Joshua Tree (crowded), and the Diamond on Long's Peak (long and cold).  I'll try to scare up some pics one of these days.

Wow, that sounds cool. Would love to see some pics from climbing abroad!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 17:27:12 »

Excited to see these! I've never really been able to travel and climb. My only outdoor experience other than messing around while on vacation is Devil's Lake WI and some of the cliffs near my school (MTU).
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 00:49:30 »
My university has a massive climbing wall in its gym that I've been meaning to try out. Seems like fun.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 00:55:46 »
My university has a massive climbing wall in its gym that I've been meaning to try out. Seems like fun.
Where do you go? I'm a first year at MTU.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 01:18:03 »

I'm attending UTA. They built a new gym not too long ago. There's all sorts of fancy stuff.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 01:23:09 »

I'm attending UTA. They built a new gym not too long ago. There's all sorts of fancy stuff.

That's awesome, MTU has an OK wall but has good access to outdoor climbing, there's a ton of trad and ice climbing up here.

Offline jamster

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 01:37:03 »

Hm... if you were plugged into the climbing scene in China, we might know someone in common, Paul, the guy who wrote the definitive climbing guide to Yangshou.

Anyway, I'm the same. Was a fairly serious climber for ten years, mostly sport around Asia (Hong Kong, Krabi, Yangshou and NE Taiwan a couple times before they became well known), then a bit around the UK (usually south coast around Portsmouth, though I did a couple trips to Wales and visited Stange as a bit of a pilgrimage). The Gunks in NY a lot, one week in Joshua Tree (which turned me off LA completely). Crestone Needle in CO, but that was a hike rather than a climb. Eastern Australia.

Did some minor bumbling around in the French Alps, VF routes in Italy, a little bit of pure ice in Norway and more recently a minor 6000m peak in Nepal (that's minor by Nepalese standards).

Here's a random mix of old, old climbing photos. There colours are all a bit wonky as they were scanned from film. You should be able to recognise area of the first two at least :)

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 February 2015, 01:47:12 by jamster »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 06:33:23 »

Hm... if you were plugged into the climbing scene in China, we might know someone in common, Paul, the guy who wrote the definitive climbing guide to Yangshou.

Anyway, I'm the same. Was a fairly serious climber for ten years, mostly sport around Asia (Hong Kong, Krabi, Yangshou and NE Taiwan a couple times before they became well known), then a bit around the UK (usually south coast around Portsmouth, though I did a couple trips to Wales and visited Stange as a bit of a pilgrimage). The Gunks in NY a lot, one week in Joshua Tree (which turned me off LA completely). Crestone Needle in CO, but that was a hike rather than a climb. Eastern Australia.

Did some minor bumbling around in the French Alps, VF routes in Italy, a little bit of pure ice in Norway and more recently a minor 6000m peak in Nepal (that's minor by Nepalese standards).

Here's a random mix of old, old climbing photos. There colours are all a bit wonky as they were scanned from film. You should be able to recognise area of the first two at least :)

Ha!  I think I still have his "book" around somewhere; mine was an early version that's just a stack of photocopies paper with a staple in one corner.

The guy who wrote it (didn't know his English name was Paul) took me and my friends around YS. They were pretty cool.

In Sichuan where I lived, a few Chinese friends and I would go out every weekend with topos looking for bouldering and trad spots. Then he would post what we found on some forum that he knew about. Lots of fun.

Great pics!  Thanks for sharing. The karst landscape is so beautiful!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline jamster

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 06:50:51 »
Hm... Dunno if we're talking about the same guy, as Paul's northen English guy. Doesn't have a Chinese name as far as I'm aware.

Ah, found a photo of him here: http://www.summitpost.org/paul-collis-rap-bolting/326685

I do miss climbing. I stopped once I moved back to Asia though as I found that it was necessary to climb twice a week just to maintain conditioning, and three times a week to improve. Took up mountain biking instead- requires much less conditioning and you never forget how to fall off a bike.

Offline drewba

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 10:31:27 »
Excited to see these! I've never really been able to travel and climb. My only outdoor experience other than messing around while on vacation is Devil's Lake WI and some of the cliffs near my school (MTU).

Is the climbing any good at Devils Lake? I saw a few groups climbing out there as recently as 6 weeks ago.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 10:35:49 »

Is the climbing any good at Devils Lake? I saw a few groups climbing out there as recently as 6 weeks ago.

For how close it is to chicago it's great. My friends and I took several week- two week long camping/climbing trips there last year.

Offline drewba

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 10:46:50 »

For how close it is to chicago it's great. My friends and I took several week- two week long camping/climbing trips there last year.
Cool, I'm up there hiking/skiing/camping pretty frequently but haven't been able to talk anyone in to climbing.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 11:24:29 »

Cool, I'm up there hiking/skiing/camping pretty frequently but haven't been able to talk anyone in to climbing.

There are also some cool places at Devil's Lake to set up a highline. If you have a rope and some anchor setting equipment it's a great place to explore and play around.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 21:14:56 »

There are also some cool places at Devil's Lake to set up a highline. If you have a rope and some anchor setting equipment it's a great place to explore and play around.

I see a lot of people climbing right near Devil's Doorway; seems to be the popular spot.  If either of you two plan a trip there, let me know.  :D  I'd love to climb/hike with some GHers.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 21:16:15 »

I see a lot of people climbing right near Devil's Doorway; seems to be the popular spot.  If either of you two plan a trip there, let me know.  :D  I'd love to climb/hike with some GHers.
There is a 100% chance I hit you up this summer. :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 21:21:34 »
So dangerous... Tp4 cowers in computer-chair..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 00:56:16 »
I tried mountain-climbing once in high school. I was very excited beforehand and thought that I would love it but I discovered that I was too scared of heights. I have been hiking in mountains though.
🍉

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 01:07:03 »
So dangerous... Tp4 cowers in computer-chair..
Show Image

:)) After this year I don't need to be reminded of that.

I tried mountain-climbing once in high school. I was very excited beforehand and thought that I would love it but I discovered that I was too scared of heights. I have been hiking in mountains though.

One of the reasons I free walk highlines is I love the anticipation of an adrenaline rush, I'm a budding adrenaline junkie. Pushing yourself and finding your limits is one of my favorite things to do. Also hiking is sick, when I was in Australia I went on a week long hiking trip with a few friends.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 February 2015, 13:25:57 by Joey Quinn »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 08:39:27 »
Well technically.. I climb stairs EVERYDAY..  at least 6 times a day. over 25 meters in total..

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 20:58:30 »
Ok so in September I was really badly injured after a day of climbing and today was the first time I've been able to get back on a wall. Holy **** climbing is a drug! I don't think I've ever felt better than topping out a 5.10 today. It was tough and I've definitely got a ton of work to do before I'm back where I was but it showed me that climbing is a hobby that I wan't to do until I'm old. Just thought I'd share.

More

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:01:25 »
Ok so in September I was really badly injured after a day of climbing and today was the first time I've been able to get back on a wall. Holy **** climbing is a drug! I don't think I've ever felt better than topping out a 5.10 today. It was tough and I've definitely got a ton of work to do before I'm back where I was but it showed me that climbing is a hobby that I wan't to do until I'm old. Just thought I'd share.

More
You fell 150 feet?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:01:39 »

More

:-X   Still can't believe you survived.  Glad you were able to get back out there and climb again though!   :thumb:

Still need to find a good climbing wall in my town.....   :-\

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:10:16 »
You fell 150 feet?

Yep, if there's anyway to do it correctly it's the way I did it.

:-X   Still can't believe you survived.  Glad you were able to get back out there and climb again though!   :thumb:

I'm really lucky and thankful for every day I have left.

:)) I still think I'm coming down from the high of climbing again. Doesn't GB have any gyms?

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:11:00 »

You fell 150 feet?

Yep, if there's anyway to do it correctly it's the way I did it.

:)) I still think I'm coming down from the high of climbing again. Doesn't GB have any gyms?
Damn, glad you're ok, what all happened?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:12:55 »

At the end of the day while we were cleaning up our gear and clearing anchors I was struck with a sudden gust of gravity and took a header off the edge.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:13:40 »

At the end of the day while we were cleaning up our gear and clearing anchors I was struck with a sudden gust of gravity and took a header off the edge.
What all did you break? And do you remember how long you were in the air?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:19:47 »

GB has a wall on campus but I don't think I can get in there...might be worth looking into though. 

Most of the gyms are in SE or W WI.  :(  I could drive to my parent's house every weekend and climb in Oconomowoc/Pewaukee!  :D
http://www.indoorclimbing.com/wisconsin.html

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:23:11 »

No memory of the fall or the following 8 days. I broke my skull, right tibia, and right fibula. I also destroyed my sinuses and broke the nerve that conveys scent and taste information to my brain. I don't want this thread to derail so much so PM me if you really want to know more.

GB has a wall on campus but I don't think I can get in there...might be worth looking into though. 

Most of the gyms are in SE or W WI.  :(  I could drive to my parent's house every weekend and climb in Oconomowoc/Pewaukee!  :D
http://www.indoorclimbing.com/wisconsin.html

Huh, that sucks. I'd move or find something outdoors  :p. There are good gyms near Chicago so maybe this could become a keycon activity.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:25:53 by Joey Quinn »

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:24:45 »

No memory of the fall or the following 8 days. I broke my skull, right tibia, and right fibula. I also destroyed my sinuses and broke the nerve that conveys scent and taste information to my brain. I don't want this thread to derail so much so PM me if you really want to know more.
Thanks for giving me the info, and yeah, good idea not to de-rail. To get back on track, my school has a 35 foot rock wall, and it is pretty fun, although I don't know if I would enjoy actual rock climbing.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:35:04 »
I'd move or find something outdoors  :p. There are good gyms near Chicago so maybe this could become a keycon activity.  :rolleyes:

lol not moving just for a wall.  At least not at this point.  :P 

And especially not moving closer to Chicago!   >:D 

Maybe I'll just build a little bouldering wall...   :rolleyes:

Climbing during KeyCon sounds  :thumb:  to me though.  ;)  Remind me to pack my shoes. 

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:39:08 »
Maybe I'll just build a little bouldering wall...   :rolleyes:

Climbing during KeyCon sounds  :thumb:  to me though.  ;)  Remind me to pack my shoes.

Oooh! Build a small wall or a bouldering cave, they're pretty easy to make (I helped maintain the one at my HS). I'll make sure to remind you.  :thumb:

Offline plegnic

• Treble Booty. Bass Guitar.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 21:40:16 »
I used to climb a lot while I was in university. Now that I'm out, it's not as easy to find time as there aren't many places close to where I am. Bouldering is my favorite, though...
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 14:20:32 »
I used to climb a lot while I was in university. Now that I'm out, it's not as easy to find time as there aren't many places close to where I am. Bouldering is my favorite, though...

Same here, I love the balance and body tension that bouldering requires.  :)

Thanks for giving me the info, and yeah, good idea not to de-rail. To get back on track, my school has a 35 foot rock wall, and it is pretty fun, although I don't know if I would enjoy actual rock climbing.

I'd really recommend that you try it, especially if you like challenging yourself and using muscles you didn't know you had. PM me if you want to talk about starting or want a crash course in climbing.  :thumb:

Offline JackMills

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 15:25:45 »
Climbing has attracted me for years. Across the street there's a nice climbing wall. But the problem for me is the rheumatic fingers, which is a hinderance to give it a real try. It must give such a rush to hang on a mountain and climb. Lucky bastards

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 09:30:19 »
I'm not a climber but as someone who works in an outdoor store lots of colleagues and friends are. I did do some bouldering last year and a few months ago I went Ice-climbing in our indoor ice-climbing wall which I really enjoyed. I guess I'm just more of a cyclist and traveller than a climber.
Especially since I see people getting injuries while climbing. Like over-strained tendons.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 00:28:43 »
Climbed for a while on monday, got a few flappers because my skin is pretty weak after 5 months of almost no climbing. But it's great to be back. My goal for V8 by the end of the year is looking good.