Author Topic: Strawberries..  (Read 1724 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Strawberries..
« on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:30:47 »
Man.. people only eat these damn berries cuz they're pretty..

Out of an entire carton..  maybe 1/5 actually has some sweetness...

Even the expensive cartons are like this..

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Re: Strawberries..
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:39:01 »
Cherries are where it's at. Strawberries? No thanks.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:39:58 »
Strawberries don't taste good out of season. Come end of June over here, there is an abundance of sweet juicy strawberries.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:42:06 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:42:39 »
Cherries are where it's at. Strawberries? No thanks.

Yea cherries are way better.. probably close to 80% of each batch tastes great..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:44:56 »
Does anyone remember when strawberries used to be big, juicy, and sweet? I thought it was nostalgia or in my head, but strawberries have actually gotten more tart and drier over the past couple decades due to genetic mutations. The same thing is happening to blueberries. Makes me sad that my children will probably never taste a good strawberry. :(

Also: raspberries > strawberries

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:44:59 »
growing your own strawberries makes all the difference, pick the ones that are ripe and delicious only. so much better! :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:48:45 »
growing your own strawberries makes all the difference, pick the ones that are ripe and delicious only. so much better! :p

I've never grown strawberries.. hrmm...  I shall consider it this summer.. already have too many vegetables planned..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:49:34 »
Does anyone remember when strawberries used to be big, juicy, and sweet? I thought it was nostalgia or in my head, but strawberries have actually gotten more tart and drier over the past couple decades due to genetic mutations. The same thing is happening to blueberries. Makes me sad that my children will probably never taste a good strawberry. :(

they've tasted that "one or two"  good ones out of the whole box.. HAHHAHAHAHA

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:52:34 »

Grandparents had a strawberry patch, no other strawberry has ever compared since. Their old house which had the strawberry garden is now a block of apartments I believe.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 20:23:02 »

You remember when like white people picked strawberries?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 21:02:04 »
I thought it was nostalgia or in my head, but strawberries have actually gotten more tart and drier over the past couple decades due to genetic mutations. The same thing is happening to blueberries.
It is a question of type. Farmers grow the varieties they can get the most money out of and people continue buying them out of season, so farmers focus on growing varieties that are cheap to grow and can be farmed all year round.
The way to make farmers learn is to make more people aware of the issue and demand tastier strawberries during season instead of strawberries in the winter.

I eat only wild blueberries btw. They are half the diameter of farmed blueberries but soooo much tastier.
They grow in abundance not far from my door step, late June to early August ... or I could take the subway to a patch of forest elsewhere and pick them there. Also available frozen, but those I use only in pies or drinks.
🍉

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 22:29:35 »
I thought it was nostalgia or in my head, but strawberries have actually gotten more tart and drier over the past couple decades due to genetic mutations. The same thing is happening to blueberries.
It is a question of type. Farmers grow the varieties they can get the most money out of and people continue buying them out of season, so farmers focus on growing varieties that are cheap to grow and can be farmed all year round.
The way to make farmers learn is to make more people aware of the issue and demand tastier strawberries during season instead of strawberries in the winter.

I eat only wild blueberries btw. They are half the diameter of farmed blueberries but soooo much tastier.
They grow in abundance not far from my door step, late June to early August ... or I could take the subway to a patch of forest elsewhere and pick them there. Also available frozen, but those I use only in pies or drinks.

Yeah, it's very apparent now a days when you see these huge fruits and vegetables in the super market that look amazing but have no taste and horrid consistency, versus what you might be able to find at your local farmer's market. Even the fruits at places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's taste lifeless and mealy to me.

The only things that seem consistently good are bananas, but they are controlled by giant evil distributors. I'll be damned if the quality isn't better though, you can really taste the suffering.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2015, 22:31:19 by noisyturtle »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 22:37:55 »
norwegian strawberries are insanely good, definitely my favorite fruit
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:17:54 »
The only things that seem consistently good are bananas, but they are controlled by giant evil distributors. I'll be damned if the quality isn't better though, you can really taste the suffering.
Consistent because it is grown all year round in the tropics and there is almost only one variety: Cavendish.

My local store sells only organically grown bananas now... After an influx of richer people into the neighbourhood there is not as much demand for regular ones, apparently.
🍉

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 03:00:30 »
Strawberries here are really good and come in sizes to suit all tastes. You can pay crazy prices too.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 13:29:28 »
**** dude strawberries are so good i eat boxes and boxes during summer and spring
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 14:32:24 »
Not a fan of fruit.

Apples are good from time to time, as are bananas... and cherries...

Pineapple sucks... great flavor, but horrible texture...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches