Author Topic: Clears vs Ergo Clears | Bottoming Out vs Not Bottoming Out  (Read 9869 times)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Clears vs Ergo Clears | Bottoming Out vs Not Bottoming Out
« on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 07:21:38 »
I am stuck between getting a Clear board and an Ergo clear board. I generally like lighter boards, and I type on blues but find it essentially impossible to not bottom out on them. I don't have an issue with bottoming out, but based on tests with my Steel Switch Holder I realise that Clears would make it easier if I wanted to switch to a non-bottoming out typing style. I think I would still bottom out on Ergo Clears however - So, should I get clears and learn to not bottom out; or stick with bottoming out and get Ergo clears? I'm asking for your experiences with these switches and how bottoming out vs not bottoming out changes typing comfort and speed, especially for long periods of time.

Thanks, Dihedral

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Clears vs Ergo Clears | Bottoming Out vs Not Bottoming Out
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 07:50:19 »
In my opinion, you are putting too much emphasis on the switch.  Whether or not you push all the way when you type has everything to do with you and how you are using your fingers. If you don't want to bottom out, the most important thing is to be very used to your keyboard. Changing switches won't make it that much easier.

I bottom out all the time. If I'm tense and I've been hitting them hard and my joints start to hurt, I make a conscious effort to lighten my strokes and that helps. I still hit the bottom at least half the time, though.

Clears have a really big tactile bump, so you have to use more force to get to actuation. I use browns, I find I am fastest with those.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 07:58:58 »
In my opinion, you are putting too much emphasis on the switch.  Whether or not you push all the way when you type has everything to do with you and how you are using your fingers. If you don't want to bottom out, the most important thing is to be very used to your keyboard. Changing switches won't make it that much easier.

I bottom out all the time. If I'm tense and I've been hitting them hard and my joints start to hurt, I make a conscious effort to lighten my strokes and that helps. I still hit the bottom at least half the time, though.

Clears have a really big tactile bump, so you have to use more force to get to actuation. I use browns, I find I am fastest with those.

OK. So do you think that ergo clears would be best - as I like light switches generally anyway?

Offline Hblue

• mad props to the hood yo
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 10:12:45 »

OK. So do you think that ergo clears would be best - as I like light switches generally anyway?

I would assume so. I myself prefer lighter switches and don't really like stock Clears, while Ergo Clears are amongst my favorite Cherry switches.
HHKB & MJ2, Typing & Gaming.

S e r e n d i p i t y

Offline jamster

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 10:46:52 »
I moved from Clears to Ergos (65g). I frikken' hated the stock Clears, and I don't even mind boards that require a fair bit of initial actuation force (at least, I think that's what Model M switches are like but have never looked it up). It was the annoyingly mushy feeling the Clear switches develop just before bottoming out that I objected to, rather than initial resistance.

If you don't have problems with bottoming out (I assume you've been typing for years), why would you consider adapting to a non-bottoming style?

I think that you should get switches based on light vs heavy preferences, so Ergo seems to make more sense.

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 11:17:41 »
I moved from Cherry MX Greens to Kailh MX Blues.  The greens have the same resistance as the Clears.  I could never get used to not bottoming out and just was happy with red spacer rings to silence it.  I thought I liked the Greens, but then I got the new keyboard with the Blues and am much happier with the lower resistance.  I bottom out all the time and don't think it's bad at all.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 12:51:28 »
I moved from Clears to Ergos (65g). I frikken' hated the stock Clears, and I don't even mind boards that require a fair bit of initial actuation force (at least, I think that's what Model M switches are like but have never looked it up). It was the annoyingly mushy feeling the Clear switches develop just before bottoming out that I objected to, rather than initial resistance.

If you don't have problems with bottoming out (I assume you've been typing for years), why would you consider adapting to a non-bottoming style?

I think that you should get switches based on light vs heavy preferences, so Ergo seems to make more sense.
BS is a heavy switch so it must be the cushiony feel you don't like. I was wondering if there were any real, solid ergonomic advantages to not bottoming out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 17:43:13 »
Well, clears feel super gritty when new..

I didn't like that so i switched to ergo clear, which felt smoother..

I'm going to switch to blues and clears next..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 17:50:01 »
Well, clears feel super gritty when new..

I didn't like that so i switched to ergo clear, which felt smoother..

I'm going to switch to blues and clears next..
I've never had gritty clears.

Offline telnet

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 19:05:49 »

I have a set of new clears and they are gritty when I use them with my 62g springs.  It almost feels as if they want to get stuck on the way up.  I found them nicer with the stock spring than with 62g or 65g springs.

@OP, I personally find that with linears and tactile switches I bottom out less with heavy springs.

QFR Frosty Flake | 7bit Phantom

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 02:12:26 »

I have a set of new clears and they are gritty when I use them with my 62g springs.  It almost feels as if they want to get stuck on the way up.  I found them nicer with the stock spring than with 62g or 65g springs.

@OP, I personally find that with linears and tactile switches I bottom out less with heavy springs.

Maybe you need to lube them?

Regarding your @OP, do you find any advantages to not bottoming out?

Offline kacase

• All things bright and beautiful.
    • 9di
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 02:19:52 »
i have a keyboard with clears and i really like the feel. what i love most is the very pronounced tactile bump and also the stiffness of the spring.
Orion V2 | Rama M65-A | Rama M67-A aka. Exent | Keycool TKL | Cherry MX Board 3.0

Offline telnet

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 02:23:55 »

I'm not a fan of lube.  It just makes a mess.  I like to switch my stems and springs every once in a while and I don't want to get sticky fingers every time I change them.

For me the benefit of not bottoming out is that I type quieter.  Personally I don't really care all that much about the speed of typing.  While I can crank out an average 80wpm, I don't need to type that fast all the time. 

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 02:35:03 »

I'm not a fan of lube.  It just makes a mess.  I like to switch my stems and springs every once in a while and I don't want to get sticky fingers every time I change them.

For me the benefit of not bottoming out is that I type quieter.  Personally I don't really care all that much about the speed of typing.  While I can crank out an average 80wpm, I don't need to type that fast all the time.

Sounds interesting. Thanks for your advice :)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 05:45:58 »
Don't worry about whether you bottom out...I think it is better if you bottom out lightly rather than really hard just because of the impact on your fingers...but you shouldn't worry about it enough to hurt your speed....and certainly, going to a heavier switch is more work for your fingers so any benefit you might have from less bottoming is taken out by that...There used to be a user here that used to spout over and over about how you can't type quickly if you bottom out..the only way is to learn not to bottom out, etc,etc...not realizing he really bottomed out a lot..then he went to Topre..realized he's bottoming out without any loss of speed and enjoying Topre more...

I'd use whatever switch you enjoy using...if you like lighter switches, I can't imagine Clears being a good choice..

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 09:03:58 »
I used to think ergo clears had stronger springs in them, for some reason I didn't put much thought into numbers/values/spring dynamics

Generally spring values are pretty complicated, some state activation forces, some reference bottom out forces, which are easier to measure, I thought 62g~ ergo clears bumped the activation up to 62g, whereas, I deduct now that, they reduce the bottom out force to 62g instead

Anyway, I found the clears to be too soft, especially on a spacebar they require a stronger spring for my usage

I say stick with bottoming out, default clear springs seem decent for a nice bottom out experience, no need to grit it with 6*g springs, however, for the spacebar, I think they require a stronger spring, or a gray tactile switch instead

If you're a bottom out typer, you might even bottom out with 200g springs, so no need to put too much thought into the process, just let it be, I don't see much point in not bottoming out, this is my personal opinion obviously
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 09:51:53 »
I used to think ergo clears had stronger springs in them, for some reason I didn't put much thought into numbers/values/spring dynamics

Generally spring values are pretty complicated, some state activation forces, some reference bottom out forces, which are easier to measure, I thought 62g~ ergo clears bumped the activation up to 62g, whereas, I deduct now that, they reduce the bottom out force to 62g instead

Anyway, I found the clears to be too soft, especially on a spacebar they require a stronger spring for my usage

I say stick with bottoming out, default clear springs seem decent for a nice bottom out experience, no need to grit it with 6*g springs, however, for the spacebar, I think they require a stronger spring, or a gray tactile switch instead

If you're a bottom out typer, you might even bottom out with 200g springs, so no need to put too much thought into the process, just let it be, I don't see much point in not bottoming out, this is my personal opinion obviously

I have wussy fingers so I don't think that clears would be a 'nice' bottoming out experience. Even just a few minutes with my steel switch holder makes my fingers feel somewhat fatigued.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 10:06:22 »
I have wussy fingers so I don't think that clears would be a 'nice' bottoming out experience. Even just a few minutes with my steel switch holder makes my fingers feel somewhat fatigued.

For some reason, pressing keys on a switch holder messes me up too, no matter what the switch is, my fingers get fatigued after a while
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 10:18:14 »

For some reason, pressing keys on a switch holder messes me up too, no matter what the switch is, my fingers get fatigued after a while

Huh. That's an interesting thing to note. Thanks :)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:08:28 »
It's probably because on an actual keyboard, the entire arm (mainly just the hand :) applies the force but when you are testing switches individually, you generally press entirely with the finger instead, in non-ergonomic positions too, it stacks up fast

This is especially the case for me, since I mainly bottom out type with 2 fingers + thumbs, the arm and hand plays an important role, but on the tester, you generally test switches excessively with the finger instead, the switches definitely *feel* harder for this reason

Offline Polymer

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 19:52:22 »
With "proper" form your hands aren't moving a lot..and they shouldn't be adding force to you pressing down....

I'm not saying typing and a switch tester would feel the same either...but if you enjoy lighter switches, it isn't likely you will enjoy a heavier one...You can, of course, get used to the heavier one if you use it enough...

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 20:44:32 »
Don’t worry too much about whether you “bottom out”. Worry about how much excessive force you use. If you bottom out lightly, there’s no problem. The problem comes if you mash your fingers hard into the bottom of the stroke, which puts a ton of shock on your joints. Try to make your keystrokes light and springy, using enough force to reliably actuate the switches, but not too much more than that.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 21:48:46 »
Don’t worry too much about whether you “bottom out”. Worry about how much excessive force you use. If you bottom out lightly, there’s no problem. The problem comes if you mash your fingers hard into the bottom of the stroke, which puts a ton of shock on your joints. Try to make your keystrokes light and springy, using enough force to reliably actuate the switches, but not too much more than that.

That's a great point, o-rings also help on that front

I haven't received them but I'm wondering how imsto ball'ed typing experience is gonna be, combined with clears, it's probably going to emulate a rubber dome experience, good or bad, I couldn't decide yet

Offline rmw2013

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 22:05:28 »
Does anyone else feel like bottoming out is satisfying. I understand that it isn't as efficient however I almost always bottom out because I enjoy how it feels. Anyone else or am I just crazy?

Offline telnet

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 22:09:51 »

I haven't received them but I'm wondering how imsto ball'ed typing experience is gonna be, combined with clears, it's probably going to emulate a rubber dome experience, good or bad, I couldn't decide yet

O-rings are a personal preference.  I 'm not a fan of how they shorten the travel. That 1.5mm area where the o-ring sits is where my natural stoping point is when I type.  I guess the o-ring makes me bottom out.

I have no experience with the ball, but they also shorten the travel, so I guess I wouldn't like them either.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 22:46:01 »
Does anyone else feel like bottoming out is satisfying. I understand that it isn't as efficient however I almost always bottom out because I enjoy how it feels. Anyone else or am I just crazy?

I think not bottoming out is crazy, they must have a butterfly touch or something, I can not bottom out only If I'm extremely concentrating on not bottoming out, else, I bottom out

The way I type, it seems inefficient not going all the way

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 23:03:29 »
The problem comes if you mash your fingers hard into the bottom of the stroke, which puts a ton of shock on your joints.
O rings don’t really help this problem IMO. O rings make the bottom out less sharp, but can’t really absorb most of the impact that many people put into their keystrokes, they just spread it over a slightly longer time period. This makes typing less immediately obviously painful, but could potentially result in more long-term damage if the typist is thus less aware of the impact.

Note that most people who get serious RSI are typing on rubber dome keyboards which don’t have any particularly sharp bottom-out.

In a similar way, padded running shoes cause serious long-term injuries by making it less immediately and obviously painful to run with locked joints and land hard on the heels (the way most runners who wear “running shoes” run); they don’t feel immediate pain, but their heel/ankle/knees/hips are getting slammed with every step, and over the course of months or years they end up ****ing up their joints. If someone runs barefoot instead, then a heavy running form with an extended locked leg is very obviously a bad idea because it causes pain right away, and so the person is forced to adopt a running form with much lower impact overall.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2015, 23:08:56 by jacobolus »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 23:35:48 »
The problem comes if you mash your fingers hard into the bottom of the stroke, which puts a ton of shock on your joints.
O rings don’t really help this problem IMO. O rings make the bottom out less sharp, but can’t really absorb most of the impact that many people put into their keystrokes, they just spread it over a slightly longer time period. This makes typing less immediately obviously painful, but could potentially result in more long-term damage if the typist is thus less aware of the impact.

Note that most people who get serious RSI are typing on rubber dome keyboards which don’t have any particularly sharp bottom-out.

In a similar way, padded running shoes cause serious long-term injuries by making it less immediately and obviously painful to run with locked joints and land hard on the heels (the way most runners who wear “running shoes” run); they don’t feel immediate pain, but their heel/ankle/knees/hips are getting slammed with every step, and over the course of months or years they end up ****ing up their joints. If someone runs barefoot instead, then a heavy running form with an extended locked leg is very obviously a bad idea because it causes pain right away, and so the person is forced to adopt a running form with much lower impact overall.

Thanks for this analysis/insight

I was looking for a reason not to use in-pole modifications, DSA keycaps don't support o-rings well, so I was favoring no bottom out mods, as I'm a bit lazy to apply them too, this nudged me further in the no-mods direction

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 00:26:53 »
I mean, there’s nothing wrong with using o-rings if you want. They make bottom-out feel squishier, and they dramatically cut sound. If that’s what you like, go for it. I just wouldn’t assume they’ll prevent RSI.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 01:29:39 »
I really don't like o-rings. They have a detrimental effect on the feel of the keyboard IMO.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 03:16:23 »
Hey guys,

Quote from: Polymer
With "proper" form your hands aren't moving a lot..and they shouldn't be adding force to you pressing down....

Right on! For the fastest, smoothest typing, you shouldn’t be thinking about which keys you’re pressing; you should just think of the text. (When you're in a conversation, you don't stop to think about each word, do you?) You should be using your arms and hands for most of the work, too, and moving your fingers as little as possible.

I learned this from playing classical piano. Like amateur typists, amateur pianists are often preoccupied with individual notes, rather than "stepping back" and listening to the actual music they're playing. So they end up making their fingers, the smallest muscles, do all the work—and their playing is laborious and unnatural.

If you watch great pianists, you’ll see they give as much of their movement as they can to the larger parts of their bodies. The larger radius you use to perform a motion, the smoother it is and the less effort it requires. That's also why engineers program industrial robots to use their larger segments as much as possible, and the progressively smaller ones down from there—it's just the most efficient way to move.

If you try focusing on your arms and hands when you type, and just let your fingers fall into place, moving them as little as possible, you may be amazed at how much easier and faster your typing is.

I'm not saying typing and a switch tester would feel the same either...

I realize I’m pretty opinionated about this—but I think so-called switch “testers” are useless.

Did you know that people’s typing styles are so individual, you can actually ID someone from their typing rhythm, like a set of fingerprints?

Key switches aren’t about how they feel as individual buttons. They’re about how they actuate under your particular touch. The only way to get a real idea of how a particular switch works for you is to try it in a real KB connected to a real computer. Otherwise you're just guessing, and the way a switch feels in a "tester" is just as likely to mislead you as anything.

...but if you enjoy lighter switches, it isn't likely you will enjoy a heavier one...You can, of course, get used to the heavier one if you use it enough...

I used to think lighter key switches were awesome. The lighter the switch, the faster you can type, right?

Well, not really. Most mechanical switches actuate halfway down—so any time and energy you spend pressing them beyond that is wasted. What’s more, when you bottom out a switch, you send the pressure of the impact back up through your finger, which is unnecessarily fatiguing—and over time, can cause typing-related injury.

When I first started learning about mechanical boards, I never considered heavier switches like Cherry blacks and clears. It didn't seem like much of an issue anyway, as the shops never seemed to carry boards with anything but the lighter switches.

Then I visited a PC shop that'd set up a bunch of demo boards, and there happened to be one with blacks (a Steelseries 6Gv2, an awesome board). It was obvious the blacks were stiffer—but I kept coming back to them. What was it about this board that was so cool? Then I got it: On light switches, it's hard to avoid bottoming out, because there's so little resistance. The extra resistance of blacks gave me something to work against. The way blacks are designed, their resistance increases as you press them. They're not hard to press up to the actuation point, but they are hard to press beyond that—which you don't want to do anyway. Perfect!

Now I type on blacks (and IBM buckling springs, heh heh) all the time, and I’ve learned to press each key only a bit past its actuation point. THAT is how you can go really fast and feel the most comfortable.

The problem is, it’s not intuitive. It's a kind of complicated principle to explain. (Look how long this post is!) So KB makers don’t try—instead,  they sell boards with light switches and let people pound away on them. It’s too bad, because learning to type lightly on stiffer switches is, IMHO, the real advantage and fun of mechanical KBs.

I’ve said nothing about tactile switches vs. non-tactile. Personally, I find it unnecessary for switches to constantly remind me that I’ve reached their actuation points. When you practice "bottomless" typing for a while, you quickly get a feel for that. And if your goal is to type fast and smoothly, you’re not waiting around for tactile feedback—you're too busy typing.

Some people like the bump, though, and that’s fine. If the bump helps you avoid bottoming out—and that's the whole idea of the bump, right?—that's got to be good.

Quote from: KHAANNN
I think not bottoming out is crazy, they must have a butterfly touch or something, I can not bottom out only If I'm extremely concentrating on not bottoming out, else, I bottom out... The way I type, it seems inefficient not going all the way

I can appreciate that, dude... When we guys do something, we like to feel like we’re really doing it  :?)

That said, when you’re using keys that actuate halfway through their travel, pushing them all the way to the bottom is less efficient. In a way, maybe it's a lack of faith in the device you're using, that you have to overuse it to be sure it works. Cheers, A.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 03:31:09 »
Hey guys,

Right on! For the fastest, smoothest typing, you shouldn’t be thinking about which keys you’re pressing; you should just think of the text. (When you're in a conversation, you don't stop to think about each word, do you?) You should be using your arms and hands for most of the work, too, and moving your fingers as little as possible.

I learned this from playing classical piano. Like amateur typists, amateur pianists are often preoccupied with individual notes, rather than "stepping back" and listening to the actual music they're playing. So they end up making their fingers, the smallest muscles, do all the work—and their playing is laborious and unnatural.

If you watch great pianists, you’ll see they give as much of their movement as they can to the larger parts of their bodies. The larger radius you use to perform a motion, the smoother it is and the less effort it requires. That's also why engineers program industrial robots to use their larger segments as much as possible, and the progressively smaller ones down from there—it's just the most efficient way to move.

If you try focusing on your arms and hands when you type, and just let your fingers fall into place, moving them as little as possible, you may be amazed at how much easier and faster your typing is.

I'm not saying typing and a switch tester would feel the same either...

I realize I’m pretty opinionated about this—but I think so-called switch “testers” are useless.

Did you know that people’s typing styles are so individual, you can actually ID someone from their typing rhythm, like a set of fingerprints?

Key switches aren’t about how they feel as individual buttons. They’re about how they actuate under your particular touch. The only way to get a real idea of how a particular switch works for you is to try it in a real KB connected to a real computer. Otherwise you're just guessing, and the way a switch feels in a "tester" is just as likely to mislead you as anything.

...but if you enjoy lighter switches, it isn't likely you will enjoy a heavier one...You can, of course, get used to the heavier one if you use it enough...

I used to think lighter key switches were awesome. The lighter the switch, the faster you can type, right?

Well, not really. Most mechanical switches actuate halfway down—so any time and energy you spend pressing them beyond that is wasted. What’s more, when you bottom out a switch, you send the pressure of the impact back up through your finger, which is unnecessarily fatiguing—and over time, can cause typing-related injury.

When I first started learning about mechanical boards, I never considered heavier switches like Cherry blacks and clears. It didn't seem like much of an issue anyway, as the shops never seemed to carry boards with anything but the lighter switches.

Then I visited a PC shop that'd set up a bunch of demo boards, and there happened to be one with blacks (a Steelseries 6Gv2, an awesome board). It was obvious the blacks were stiffer—but I kept coming back to them. What was it about this board that was so cool? Then I got it: On light switches, it's hard to avoid bottoming out, because there's so little resistance. The extra resistance of blacks gave me something to work against. The way blacks are designed, their resistance increases as you press them. They're not hard to press up to the actuation point, but they are hard to press beyond that—which you don't want to do anyway. Perfect!

Now I type on blacks (and IBM buckling springs, heh heh) all the time, and I’ve learned to press each key only a bit past its actuation point. THAT is how you can go really fast and feel the most comfortable.

The problem is, it’s not intuitive. It's a kind of complicated principle to explain. (Look how long this post is!) So KB makers don’t try—instead,  they sell boards with light switches and let people pound away on them. It’s too bad, because learning to type lightly on stiffer switches is, IMHO, the real advantage and fun of mechanical KBs.

I’ve said nothing about tactile switches vs. non-tactile. Personally, I find it unnecessary for switches to constantly remind me that I’ve reached their actuation points. When you practice "bottomless" typing for a while, you quickly get a feel for that. And if your goal is to type fast and smoothly, you’re not waiting around for tactile feedback—you're too busy typing.

Some people like the bump, though, and that’s fine. If the bump helps you avoid bottoming out—and that's the whole idea of the bump, right?—that's got to be good.

I think not bottoming out is crazy, they must have a butterfly touch or something, I can not bottom out only If I'm extremely concentrating on not bottoming out, else, I bottom out... The way I type, it seems inefficient not going all the way

I can appreciate that, dude... When we guys do something, we like to feel like we’re really doing it  :?)

That said, when you’re using keys that actuate halfway through their travel, pushing them all the way to the bottom is less efficient. In a way, maybe it's a lack of faith in the device you're using, that you have to overuse it to be sure it works. Cheers, A.

This is a very detailed post. Your comments make a lot of sense - and your points about harder switches do make a lot of sense. That is one of the reasons why I have considered using stock clears. However, I have never been able to type at any sort of speed and not bottom out. I think I will stick with lighter switches and just focus on typing a little lighter.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:04:56 »

No it isn't..It certainly isn't how you type fast...Comfort is a subjective matter...

I'm not saying you have to slam yourself into the bottom of the keyboard..but NOT bottoming out is not the way you type faster...

I've called out everyone about this..if you type fast and don't bottom...prove it...the one guy that did put a video didn't realize he was bottoming out quite often..he thought 5%..it was more like 30-40%...And now that person types on Topre where he bottoms out 99% of the time...

When I say fast..like 110-120+ fast....

I can see it being comfortable though..and finding enough resistance to naturally stop you from bottoming is great..but when it comes to speed, if you're not bottoming out a good portion of the time, you're not pressing the keys fast enough...

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 16:15:16 »
I've finally received my clear switched V60 today, it's a bit off topic, but it might help the op in his original question/quest

I can't really differentiate the activation forces of red switches and clears much, the clears are pretty mellow too, they seem optimal as they are, I wouldn't have them any softer or heavier, they are easier to press than the reds, I find the activation feedbacks to be rewarding, which / probably psychologically, reduces the effort needed to type

The bump can't be felt much, on testers it's easily differentiable, while typing on a clear board the bump is more of a thump / mellowed out click / more a friction rather than a tactile feedback

I'm also enjoying them without the o-rings

I say go for default clears, no need to reduce the spring strength, I also tried to understand my typing a bit on clears, it's a soft bottom out, instead of a hard bottom out, but I seem to bottom out pretty softly with each click, which is pretty satisfying

The ping on the clears tho ... I wish these leds were easy to desolder to I could mod each switch, the ping is strong in clears

----

Default clears will be my choice for relaxation and main switches from now on, I will probably have a green board on the side for the fun of it, however the linears are out of the equation now, the V60 served his purpose

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 17:05:29 »
the ping is strong in clears

Don't try tactile greys :p

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 17:13:20 »
the ping is strong in clears

Don't try tactile greys :p

I got 5 to potentially put on spacebars, but didn't try them :)

It would be great if they had a more distinct bump, but it seems the bump is the same

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 02:35:47 »
Quote from: Dihedral
This is a very detailed post. Your comments make a lot of sense...

Heh heh—probably too detailed, but thanks. One of the hazards of having a great KB is that you end up typing too much.  :?)

...and your points about harder switches do make a lot of sense. That is one of the reasons why I have considered using stock clears. However, I have never been able to type at any sort of speed and not bottom out. I think I will stick with lighter switches and just focus on typing a little lighter.

It’s your call, of course. For sure, not everyone’s interested in taking the time or trouble to train themselves to hit the “sweet spot” between actuation and bottoming. I’m just saying it can be done, and when you do, it's quite an experience. To me, it’s like the difference between swimming across a lake and water-skiing across it. When you’re just skimming the surface, you don’t have to fight you way through the bulk of the water.

I think it can be done with any kind of switch, too. The stiffer ones, like blacks and clears, just make it easier. As a musician, I’ve played on all kinds of pianos and keyboards. Some have had such a light touch, I could hardly play them with any expression, because the difference between loud and soft was so tiny. Of course you wouldn’t want one that was so heavy it wore you out, either. The best touch is somewhere in the middle—where you can vary the pressure comfortably and naturally, without having to overwork one way or the other.

Dihedral, I wonder if your difficulty not bottoming out could have something to do with the way you tried to do it, rather than your ability to do it.

Typing without bottoming out doesn’t just mean pressing keys lighter. It means not moving your fingers as much. When you type from your arms and hands, moving your fingers as little as possible, you give the biggest amount of motion to the larger parts of your upper body, rather than the smallest. Using the parts of your body together, more efficiently, means smoother movements with less effort. (Just ask any robotics engineer.)

When you type from your arms and hands, you don’t have to use each finger to try to sense the depth of each key. That’d be a lot of work—I don’t think I could type that way. Instead, the object is to use bigger motions and develop a sense of the entire keyboard’s depth as a unit, like it was one big key. (Well, okay, two big keys—one for your left hand and one for your right.) Because mechanical switches are so precise and consistent, you can do that.

That’s the best I can explain it. Beyond that, you have to experience it. If you do, it’ll feel unfamiliar at first. You may even think (as I did), “This can’t be right—I’m not working hard enough!” But you’ll know you’re getting it when it feels easier, not harder. You'll feel like you're typing by just wiggling your hands a bit. It’s like suddenly realizing you were using a lot more effort to walk than you had to.

Quote from: Ander

No it isn't..It certainly isn't how you type fast...Comfort is a subjective matter... I'm not saying you have to slam yourself into the bottom of the keyboard..but NOT bottoming out is not the way you type faster... I've called out everyone about this..if you type fast and don't bottom...prove it...the one guy that did put a video didn't realize he was bottoming out quite often..he thought 5%..it was more like 30-40%...And now that person types on Topre where he bottoms out 99% of the time...

Well, everyone’s entitled to an opinion. But it just bears to reason that if a switch actuates halfway down (as most do), any extra time and effort you spend pressing it past that point is wasted. No matter how fast we type, we press one key at a time. The longer we spend pressing one, the longer it takes to get to the next one.

When I say fast..like 110-120+ fast.... I can see it being comfortable though..and finding enough resistance to naturally stop you from bottoming is great..but when it comes to speed, if you're not bottoming out a good portion of the time, you're not pressing the keys fast enough...

The problem is, it's not intuitive. Normally, we think of “speed” as how fast something moves. If someone’s typing “fast”, we can think that means they’re pressing the keys farther, like someone driving a fast car goes farther than someone in a slower one.

But in typing, “speed” isn’t about distance. It’s about how many characters you can accurately generate in a period of time. How you achieve that speed—what kind of hardware you’re using, and how you’re using it—is a separate thing.

As it happens, I do type around 110 (using Dvorak, so it’s cheating, ha ha). I can usually transcribe what a person's saying, in real time, if they're not talking too fast. But I know for sure that if I stop paying attention and start bottoming out, there’s no way I can do that. I’m just doing more work, and you can’t do more work as quickly as you can do less work.

Of course there are lots of people who can bottom out—or sing, or dance, or do celebrity impressions, or just about anything else—while they type, and go much faster than me. That’s because many other factors affect typing speed—reflexes, physiology, relaxation, experience, the ability to ignore distractions, the ability to utilize caffeine (heh) and so on.

But if those same people learn to type more easily and naturally—and they do it in a positive and comfortable way, not feeling like they're forcing themselves, but just letting themselves relax and do less work to achieve the same thing—they'll almost certainly go even faster. Even the best typists are subject to the laws of physics.

If any of them didn’t get faster, it’d be because they were getting in their own way somehow, having trouble believing their bodies could work more efficiently with less effort. But that seems unlikely, considering these people had the talent, patience and confidence to get that fast in the first place.

Re tactile keys: Don’t get me wrong. I have a KB with Cherry browns I get out now and then. It’s stimulating and fun having such a different feeling for a while. But for me, that’s all it is—a feeling, not an advantage. If you’re hesitating, no matter how briefly, to feel a bump when you press each key, you can’t possibly be typing as easily or quickly as you could.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2015, 02:46:53 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 03:37:14 »
This is a very detailed post. Your comments make a lot of sense...

Heh heh—probably too detailed, but thanks. One of the hazards of having a great KB is that you end up typing too much.  :?)

...and your points about harder switches do make a lot of sense. That is one of the reasons why I have considered using stock clears. However, I have never been able to type at any sort of speed and not bottom out. I think I will stick with lighter switches and just focus on typing a little lighter.

It’s your call, of course. For sure, not everyone’s interested in taking the time or trouble to train themselves to hit the “sweet spot” between actuation and bottoming. I’m just saying it can be done, and when you do, it's quite an experience. To me, it’s like the difference between swimming across a lake and water-skiing across it. When you’re just skimming the surface, you don’t have to fight you way through the bulk of the water.

I think it can be done with any kind of switch, too. The stiffer ones, like blacks and clears, just make it easier. As a musician, I’ve played on all kinds of pianos and keyboards. Some have had such a light touch, I could hardly play them with any expression, because the difference between loud and soft was so tiny. Of course you wouldn’t want one that was so heavy it wore you out, either. The best touch is somewhere in the middle—where you can vary the pressure comfortably and naturally, without having to overwork one way or the other.

Dihedral, I wonder if your difficulty not bottoming out could have something to do with the way you tried to do it, rather than your ability to do it.

Typing without bottoming out doesn’t just mean pressing keys lighter. It means not moving your fingers as much. When you type from your arms and hands, moving your fingers as little as possible, you give the biggest amount of motion to the larger parts of your upper body, rather than the smallest. Using the parts of your body together, more efficiently, means smoother movements with less effort. (Just ask any robotics engineer.)

When you type from your arms and hands, you don’t have to use each finger to try to sense the depth of each key. That’d be a lot of work—I don’t think I could type that way. Instead, the object is to use bigger motions and develop a sense of the entire keyboard’s depth as a unit, like it was one big key. (Well, okay, two big keys—one for your left hand and one for your right.) Because mechanical switches are so precise and consistent, you can do that.

That’s the best I can explain it. Beyond that, you have to experience it. If you do, it’ll feel unfamiliar at first. You may even think (as I did), “This can’t be right—I’m not working hard enough!” But you’ll know you’re getting it when it feels easier, not harder. You'll feel like you're typing by just wiggling your hands a bit. It’s like suddenly realizing you were using a lot more effort to walk than you had to.

No it isn't..It certainly isn't how you type fast...Comfort is a subjective matter... I'm not saying you have to slam yourself into the bottom of the keyboard..but NOT bottoming out is not the way you type faster... I've called out everyone about this..if you type fast and don't bottom...prove it...the one guy that did put a video didn't realize he was bottoming out quite often..he thought 5%..it was more like 30-40%...And now that person types on Topre where he bottoms out 99% of the time...

Well, everyone’s entitled to an opinion. But it just bears to reason that if a switch actuates halfway down (as most do), any extra time and effort you spend pressing it past that point is wasted. No matter how fast we type, we press one key at a time. The longer we spend pressing one, the longer it takes to get to the next one.

When I say fast..like 110-120+ fast.... I can see it being comfortable though..and finding enough resistance to naturally stop you from bottoming is great..but when it comes to speed, if you're not bottoming out a good portion of the time, you're not pressing the keys fast enough...

The problem is, it's not intuitive. Normally, we think of “speed” as how fast something moves. If someone’s typing “fast”, we can think that means they’re pressing the keys farther, like someone driving a fast car goes farther than someone in a slower one.

But in typing, “speed” isn’t about distance. It’s about how many characters you can accurately generate in a period of time. How you achieve that speed—what kind of hardware you’re using, and how you’re using it—is a separate thing.

As it happens, I do type around 110 (using Dvorak, so it’s cheating, ha ha). I can usually transcribe what a person's saying, in real time, if they're not talking too fast. But I know for sure that if I stop paying attention and start bottoming out, there’s no way I can do that. I’m just doing more work, and you can’t do more work as quickly as you can do less work.

Of course there are lots of people who can bottom out—or sing, or dance, or do celebrity impressions, or just about anything else—while they type, and go much faster than me. That’s because many other factors affect typing speed—reflexes, physiology, relaxation, experience, the ability to ignore distractions, the ability to utilize caffeine (heh) and so on.

But if those same people learn to type more easily and naturally—and they do it in a positive and comfortable way, not feeling like they're forcing themselves, but just letting themselves relax and do less work to achieve the same thing—they'll almost certainly go even faster. Even the best typists are subject to the laws of physics.

If any of them didn’t get faster, it’d be because they were getting in their own way somehow, having trouble believing their bodies could work more efficiently with less effort. But that seems unlikely, considering these people had the talent, patience and confidence to get that fast in the first place.

Re tactile keys: Don’t get me wrong. I have a KB with Cherry browns I get out now and then. It’s stimulating and fun having such a different feeling for a while. But for me, that’s all it is—a feeling, not an advantage. If you’re hesitating, no matter how briefly, to feel a bump when you press each key, you can’t possibly be typing as easily or quickly as you could.

I will take your points onboard :)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 09:50:30 »
Sounds good in theory..that isn't reality...the problem is your fingers are slower in attempting to not bottom out...fastest typers out there?  They all bottom out...The "wasted" effort your referring to doesn't impact your speed..it never has..you're fingers are already moving to the next key..I'm not saying you can't lightly bottom out or you have to bottom out on every stroke..but not bottom out at all? 

Really?  Plenty of claims that tactile points are something you react to (false) and bottoming out is the best way to type (false) and how it helps you type faster because you're not moving the keys as far as you need to (false).  It all sounds great...none of it is reality...

I'm not saying it is impossible..I'm sure with some keys they offer just the right amount of resistance for someone to type on them with very very minimal bottoming out and for them to be hitting it with optimal speed....but given the variability of spring weight plus finger strength, distance, etc, it would be difficult to achieve...Outside of that, I can see people typing with minimal bottoming out...or lightly bottoming out..even with Topre...I don't think slamming really hard is optimal for speed but I'm not talking about that...but when people claim not bottoming out is the key for speed...I LOL..that has yet to ever to come to fruition..the fastest typers all bottom out..but feel free to prove me wrong.  I wouldn't call DVORAK cheating, obviously you spent time to learn a much better layout and for that you should get the benefit..but start coming on here with videos of 120+WPM and no bottoming out and show people it is possible...

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2015, 20:24:31 by Polymer »

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 14:34:54 »
This is a really interesting thread. I've tried reds,browns,tactile greys,and ended with lightly lubed ergo clears because to me they have a glorious texture when I push them down. I feel for me this is the pinnacle of what separates mechanical boards from rubber domes.

On bottoming out, I actually bottomed out more with my ergoa than the much lighter browns, however the feel is so satisfying bottoming out with them its a joy to type on.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 14:40:15 »
This is a really interesting thread. I've tried reds,browns,tactile greys,and ended with lightly lubed ergo clears because to me they have a glorious texture when I push them down. I feel for me this is the pinnacle of what separates mechanical boards from rubber domes.

On bottoming out, I actually bottomed out more with my ergoa than the much lighter browns, however the feel is so satisfying bottoming out with them its a joy to type on.

This sounds good. The conclusion I've reached is that the tactility is important and that I don't mind bottoming out. Ergo Clears sound good!

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 15:07:44 »
Considering this bottoming out business, doesn't using o-rings just fix that?  I use o-rings and I bottom out just below the actuation so essentially I'm not pressing down the key too far down for it to be inefficient.  It's a win-win for me since I don't like the clack.  I use 1.2mm o-rings with cherry caps and it's perfect. 
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 15:18:16 »
Considering this bottoming out business, doesn't using o-rings just fix that?  I use o-rings and I bottom out just below the actuation so essentially I'm not pressing down the key too far down for it to be inefficient.  It's a win-win for me since I don't like the clack.  I use 1.2mm o-rings with cherry caps and it's perfect.

I think it was discussed earlier in this thread - but personally I dislike the feel of orings.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 18:00:07 »

With green's for example, I hated the clacks, because the click was like a thunderstorm, which was beautiful on it's own

However the clear clack sounds more like a thock, now that I've tried clears on an actual board, I really really really enjoy the clear's bottom out sounds

Since the spring is a strong one, it's not an extreme clack, but rather a very gentle and satisfying thock, at this point, suppressing that sound seems like murder

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 03:29:59 »
Hey fellow maniacs,

[It] just bears to reason that if a switch actuates halfway down (as most do), any extra time and effort you spend pressing it past that point is wasted. No matter how fast we type, we press one key at a time. The longer we spend pressing one, the longer it takes to get to the next one.

Sounds good in theory..that isn't reality...the problem is your fingers are slower in attempting to not bottom out...

Only if you’re making an effort not to bottom out. But that’s not what I’m talking about.—that's just working too hard in a different way. I’m talking about developing a hand-level feel for the KB’s actuation, perceiving it as a single, typeable-on surface.

I know it sounds spacey. You just have to experience it. I doubt I would have myself, if I hadn’t experienced it playing classical piano. The great composer/pianist Frederick Chopin started a whole school of technique based on the whole-body approach, and it changed piano playing forever. (You can’t even play most of his music unless you play it that way!)

I'll give you one brief practical example of what I'm talking about. When new kids come to me for piano lessons, my first job is to get them to stop thinking about playing notes and start hearing music. I ask them to put one hand on the keyboard and play five notes, back and forth, as fast as they can. They inevitably do this using their fingers, which not only limits their speed but produces a choppy, unnatural sound. Then I put my hand on the keyboard and play the five notes back and forth by simply rotating my wrist, using my hand as a single unit, letting my fingers fall where they need to rather than trying to control them. When you do that, there's literally no speed limit. (That is, you can play the notes faster that people can hear them, so there'd be no point to playing any faster.) You should see the lightbulbs going off over these kids' heads—playing suddenly becomes fun, more like dancing than work. I think typing can be that way too.

fastest typers out there? They all bottom out...

Really? I’m surprised to hear that. It seems to defy physics. Why expend more time and energy than necessary to achieve the same thing? I’m willing to be wrong, though. Maybe brute force has a role too. Maybe the violence intimidates your typing opponents, like chessmasters slamming down chess pieces?  :?)

The "wasted" effort [you're] referring to doesn't impact your speed..it never has..you're fingers are already moving to the next key...

It depends what you mean. Sure, we're already thinking about the keypresses to come; and if your other hand has the next keypress, it starts moving toward it while the first hand is still releasing its key. But unless you type much differently than I do, I don't think we ever actually have more than one key down at a time—nor can we move toward the next key, with the same hand, while we're pressing the current one.

That's where the "wasted time" comes in:

• The farther you press a key beyond actuation, the more time you're spending on that key before you release it and head for the next one (with that hand).

• When you press a key harder than necessary, your hand must reverse that much more momentum in that direction before it can start moving in a new direction.

• The more you focus on individual keys (usually associated with pressing them harder and longer than necessary), the less of a sense of the whole keyboard you have, and the less of a sense of the text you're typing, rather than just its letters.

These are just principles I've observed myself. Everyone's different.

I'm not saying you can't lightly bottom out or you have to bottom out on every stroke..but not bottom out at all?

In case it’s not clear, I’m not suggesting anyone worry about bottoming out. Worrying about anything is counterproductive; it activates the ego and inhibits you from performing at your best, from an unconscious level.

As soon as we start worrying or even thinking about "controlling" any physical activity, our performance drops. Athletes call it "choking"—they suddenly start trying to control their movements instead of getting out of their own way and trusting the fine body memory they've developed in long hours of training.

The fact is—unless some of us are physiology students—we don't even know how many muscles are in our arms and hands. How could we possibly control them with the remarkable coordination that enables us to do something like typing? It's an illusion.

I’m just suggesting that by developing a sense of the keys’ “sweet spots” between actuation and bottom, and typing more from your arms and hands than your fingers, you can ride in that zone much more easily than you think. Because you don't have to think—you just type as efficiently and comfortably as possible.

Now I type on blacks... and I’ve learned to press each key only a bit past its actuation point. THAT is how you can go really fast and feel the most comfortable.

I'm not saying it is impossible..I'm sure with some keys they offer just the right amount of resistance for someone to type on them with very very minimal bottoming out and for them to be hitting it with optimal speed....but given the variability of spring weight plus finger strength, distance, etc, it would be difficult to achieve...

It’s amazing what we can do once we believe we can. Touch typing is awesome, but it's pretty straightforward compared to something like playing a musical instrument, or even riding a bike. Considering we’re capable of things as subtly coordinated as those, I have no problem believing that most people can learn to type by "riding" between actuation and bottoming, if they want to.

Outside of that, I can see people typing with minimal bottoming out...or lightly bottoming out..even with Topre...

Again, while I think stiffer switches make it easier, I think it’s possible to type this way on any switch. I could see the non-bottoming school of typing as a kind of physical discipline, where people challenged themselves on progressively lighter and lighter switches. You know, martial-arts kind of thing, another way of refining one’s touch and reflexes to an elite degree. But that’s not something most of us will ever feel compelled to do (including me!).

I wouldn't call DVORAK cheating, obviously you spent time to learn a much better layout and for that you should get the benefit...

Yeah, I was just being modest. Dvorak rocks!

...but start coming on here with videos of 120+WPM and no bottoming out and show people it is possible...

I don’t know any competitive typers; I’m completely ignorant about that world. I just know what works for me, and for a few other people I've known through the years. We could get some elite typists in here and ask them to try to break down the mechanics of their typing for us—but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know what to say, other than "I just try to go fast!" As with many things, the less you think about it, the better you can be.

Quote from: alexofthewest
This is a really interesting thread. I've tried reds, browns, tactile greys, and ended with lightly lubed ergo clears because to me they have a glorious texture when I push them down...

Woo, I’m actually getting a bit excited here. With the correct, properly lubricated setup, one could probably substitute typing for sex. After the initial investment, think of the money you’d save on clubs and stuff!

This sounds good. The conclusion I've reached is that the tactility is important and that I don't mind bottoming out...

That’s the beauty of typing, and ergonomics in general, isn’t it? Everybody’s different. The stuff I’ve jabbered about here is just my take, based on my experience. One person’s “perfect” setup will be completely different from another’s. (Of course I really think each of us should have one of every possible KB, which would render the issue meaningless as we’d be too busy enjoying all of our goodies.)

In any case, it’s great having a chance to back-and-forth about it with you guys. Despite our differing opinions, you’re tremendously important to me. Who else could possibly understand my passion for this stuff? My family? Hah! Maybe some of you find yourselves in this position. :?)

Quote from: asgeirtj
Considering this bottoming out business, doesn't using o-rings just fix that? I use o-rings and I bottom out just below the actuation so essentially I'm not pressing down the key too far down for it to be inefficient. It's a win-win for me since I don't like the clack. I use 1.2mm o-rings with cherry caps and it's perfect.

O-rings don't prevent you from bottoming out. They just change what you bottom out on, and make it happen sooner. They don’t change how you press keys, which I think is more relevant to speed and comfort. I’ve tried o-rings, and had high hopes for them, but I found them oddly unsatisfying. I think keys are designed with certain travels and tension slopes for a reason, and when you change that, you undo some pretty deliberate engineering. YMMV.

With green's for example, I hated the clacks, because the click was like a thunderstorm, which was beautiful on it's own...

I don’t think I’ve read such a colourful and amusingly contradictory sentence in quite a while.  :?)

However the clear clack sounds more like a thock, now that I've tried clears on an actual board, I really really really enjoy the clear's bottom out sounds... Since the spring is a strong one, it's not an extreme clack, but rather a very gentle and satisfying thock, at this point, suppressing that sound seems like murder

This is great—there is a musical angle to typing.  :?)

Indeed, the sounds of mechanical keyboards are awesome. If anyone wants to bottom out because they love how it sounds, I won't argue with them for a moment. There's a lot more to life than trying to be some kind of flippin' Typing Jedi Master.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 03:45:59 »
man, you're good at typing :)

for me it's purely the typing experience / the joy of typing and aesthetics of the keyboard, keycaps, the perfection of the functionality, I don't dwell into efficiency/optimisation much, as the motivation I get from typing boost my productivity more than my typing speed/efficiency, the bottleneck is never the typing speed for me

about the green's, what I meant in that sentence is that, 2 sounds are overwhelming, one sound per keypress is enough, they are overwhelming when combined (clack == bottom out, click == click action, + ping as a 3rd conditional source)
however, since clears are silent switches, the bottom out sound is enjoyable on it's own
- as far as contradictions go, some of your remarks are also on the boundaries of contradictions, however I won't dwell into the issue :)

-----

slightly off topic, my max wpm was 74 as I can remember, I don't enter type races anymore, but I decided to enter one with clears, the result was 78wpm, so clears agree with me too

Offline Polymer

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 05:01:50 »
It’s amazing what we can do once we believe we can. Touch typing is awesome, but it's pretty straightforward compared to something like playing a musical instrument, or even riding a bike. Considering we’re capable of things as subtly coordinated as those, I have no problem believing that most people can learn to type by "riding" between actuation and bottoming, if they want to.
And yet they don't...pretty simple.  Do a speed test, video it..show everyone it is possible...

I don’t know any competitive typers; I’m completely ignorant about that world. I just know what works for me, and for a few other people I've known through the years. We could get some elite typists in here and ask them to try to break down the mechanics of their typing for us—but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know what to say, other than "I just try to go fast!" As with many things, the less you think about it, the better you can be.
Simple enough to just look it up...and you'd be right..they don't know exactly what is going on..but that is pretty irrelevant.  The added travel/time to reverse your hands ends up being insignificant...In theory, very short travel would be ideal right?  But is it?  For some they type faster and some they don't....feel, rhythm, comfort are all more important...I don't doubt if it was possible to find an idea board that would balance energy efficiency, impact, etc to an individual that they might be able to type faster.  Something to the extent that every key would be customized in weight and travel to allow for the most optimum movement per finger..but that isn't something we have and it could just be we find that getting the bottom as quickly as possible is just the only way to go....At this point in time, option 1 isn't here...

Again.  Show everyone...type at a good speed..like 110+...or 120+..with DVORAK it shouldn't be that hard...and don't bottom out..which is what you're saying you do right now without even thinking...at least people would see it is possible..maybe they can't do it..but at least you'd show it is possible.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 05:09:21 »
Again.  Show everyone...type at a good speed..like 110+...or 120+..with DVORAK it shouldn't be that hard...and don't bottom out..which is what you're saying you do right now without even thinking...at least people would see it is possible..maybe they can't do it..but at least you'd show it is possible.

I'm not sure what you're saying... You think I'm exaggerating? Or maybe making it all up? Dude, I like to type, but not that much.

I'm simply sharing my own experience and insights here. If anyone's interested in trying what I've described, I think I've given them enough info to do so. Otherwise, you're free to type however you wish. There's no obligation. Cheers, A.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 05:28:59 »
I'm not sure what you're saying... You think I'm exaggerating? Or maybe making it all up? Dude, I like to type, but not that much.
He spelled it out pretty clearly. He accepts that you believe yourself to type at high speed without bottoming out, but he suspects that it’s not actually what happens. Basically, he thinks you’re tricking yourself. If you can take a reasonably high resolution video, that should settle the question easily.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 06:17:52 »
He spelled it out pretty clearly. He accepts that you believe yourself to type at high speed without bottoming out, but he suspects that it’s not actually what happens. Basically, he thinks you’re tricking yourself. If you can take a reasonably high resolution video, that should settle the question easily.

Exactly...people think they're not bottoming out but they are...even lightly or even a good portion of the time...

Perfect example was the last person to post a video...he felt he bottomed out 5% of the time..video obviously showed a LOT more than that...He was adamant the key to not typing fast was not bottoming out..would practice everyday..and really, he did get quite fast on 10FF..like 150+...then he found Topre where he was bottoming out all the time...result?  He was just as fast...His theory?  Now junk...

Just show us all you can do it..show everyone it is possible...because everyone who has claimed to do it with speed has not been able to...and yet we know people in the very very fast range DO type that fast and they DO bottom out...So these are the 150+ people...

You might be asking...why do I have to show people that I can do it?  Because a lot of people on here like to play in the world of theory...they make all sorts of claims that sound great but aren't a reflection of reality and when they get called out on it, it isn't true.  To be honest, if you're well above 110+ and not bottoming out at all, I think that's fantastic...while I also subscribe to the same train of thought as you that sufficient resistance on a linear switch will help you not bottom out, when faced with going for SPEED that starts to not happen..enough resistance to prevent bottoming may also cause fatigue.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2015, 11:45:01 by Polymer »