Author Topic: Decent graphics card for a decent 4k monitor (Linux only)  (Read 6859 times)

Offline astrafo

Decent graphics card for a decent 4k monitor (Linux only)
« on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 09:38:13 »
Hello GH'ers.

I'm getting a new monitor, probably a Dell Ultrasharp p2415q with nice color management and 4k resolution. I will need a video card capable to drive those 4k at 60Hz via DisplayPort. I think a nvidia GTX 750 should be good enough and ASUS has a couple of models with great noise control. So far, this is what I have in mind, but maybe I'm doing a terrible mistake by getting one of these cards, so any advice will be wonderful.

Asus GeForce GTX 750-DCSL 2GB GDDR5
- No fans at all
- Around 130EUR

Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti Strix OC 2GB
- More power than the one above
- Fans are turned off if not needed.
- Around 180EUR

I use Debian as unique OS on a i5 2500K with 16Gb RAM. Right now I use an HD screen as the main monitor plus a small 4/3 secondary monitor for console, instant messaging and mail. The setup is mainly for desktop apps and virtual machines. The only game I play (best stress killer) is Sauerbraten (if you don't know it, check http://sauerbraten.org/) and both cards are more than capable to run it.

I'm still not sure if this is going to be good. It's a lot of money and a lot of questions like: "is a GTX 750 enough?", "if I use the display port, can I attach a secondary low res monitor on a DVI output?", "can I use a cheap passive card for a secondary monitor?"...

Any advice to this poor Spanish guy will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
(and sorry for my bad English)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Decent graphics card for a decent 4k monitor (Linux only)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 12:27:40 »
Are you sure you want that monitor?

24" @ 4k means you have to sit very close to the screen to read text @ native resolution.

The ideal viewing distance for ocular comfort is 36+ inches or ~1+ meters.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 12:30:39 »
Most modern gpu will support 4k, and yes you can have multiple monitors on the dvi.

Offline astrafo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 02:40:56 »
Thanks tp4tissue,

I currently use a 24" HD monitor (80-100cm away from my face) and I like the size. I just want more pixel density.
24" @ 4k means you have to sit very close to the screen to read text @ native resolution.
The font size does not need to be the system's default and GNU/Linux is good scaling fonts and desktop/gui elements, so not a problem, I think.

Most modern gpu will support 4k, and yes you can have multiple monitors on the dvi.
I just thought those card could handle multiple screens unless it uses the DP for 4k/60Hz screen. Thanks

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 15:03:58 »
Ok,  but have you CONSIDERED  maybe getting a 40+ inch 1080p TV and using that as a monitor.

@ 40 inch  you can sit as far back as 2 meters....

The farther you sit from your viewing target,  the less your eye muscles have to engage and focus, dramatically reducing eye-strain.

The pixel density is something that is simply overcome by having more monitors..

And these 4k panels are all wide screen,  which means they're NOT very good for multiview anyway..

You'll end up wasting alot of time making everything fit on your screen, ONTOP of scrolling up and down for Everything.

Since you already have 1,  if you buy another one, you'll have 2. and maybe bring up an old crt to the desk as well for triple monitor.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 15:07:18 »
24" @ 4k makes no sense.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 18:13:15 »
24" @ 4k makes no sense.

It's fine for movie watching.. and gaming

but the Program scaling is just not there yet,  very fiddly,  They're working on it though.

Experience:  3007wfp since year 2006..   

TO this day,  I use 1280x800 on my desktop.. and I hot key 2560x1600,  because Text is too damn small @ my viewing distance..

4K is even smaller than on my monitor on a smaller monitor.. it's double small..

I consider it impossible..  but then again,  IDK, maybe kids these days has evolved super vision that I didn't get.. LCD sharingan hhahahahaha

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 21:23:06 »
You should look at the screen resolution in PPI, pixels-per-inch. It is calculated as sqrt(width˛ + height˛) / diagonal, with lengths in inches.
Most monitors have a resolution of around 100 PPI. I would say that 110 PPI is about the sweet spot for web and apps today without scaling. Macintosh computers used to use that until they doubled the resolution: Macs with "Retina Display" have a screen resolution of 218 to 227 PPI.
I think that for everything above 150 PPI most people want scaling in the OS.
The 24" Dell has a resolution of 183 PPI.

I'm getting a new monitor, probably a Dell Ultrasharp p2415q with nice color management and 4k resolution.
I'm sorry, but the Dell P2415Q supports only Ultra HD (3840×2160), not 4K (4096×2160) video resolution.
 :rolleyes:

The mis-use of the "4K" moniker is getting on my nerves. I have worked in professional video. If we had promised our customers "4K" but given them only Ultra HD then they would have roasted us alive.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 21:28:19 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 23:27:46 »
LOL... my guess it's cuz they're already kitted to cut and fit 16:9 panels.. so the full 4K is too expensive to retool for.

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 23:35:24 »
any $150+ gpu you can buy off the shelf will DEFINITELY support.

I run a 4K mon + 1080p mon off an intel igpu.  a mobile gpu.  a mid-end mobile gpu.  an ivy bridge mid-end iGPU.

seriously don't worry about '4k' compatibility.  sheer horsepower is the primary factor (and cost ofc); compatibility isn't.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.