Author Topic: Unusual laptop screen behavior  (Read 1172 times)

Offline ranwink

Unusual laptop screen behavior
« on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:27:51 »
Hello all,

I dont normally post, just mainly read/research. I have come across a problem of my own that seems odd to troubleshoot.

Backstory: currently I am in the process of making a portable desktop using a pelican case (not new, I know), but I travel a lot and my old gaming laptop is about done for. This will be a carry on during flights.

So everything is about put together when I decide to test the screen to make sure it works. I purchased a new replacement laptop screen (N173HGE-L21) and a LVDS controller board. When I first booted up my PC, the left half was displayed backwards and the right half was normal. There was also 2 black fat strips down the middle. This persisted in BIOS (both IGPU and GPU). BUT when I plugged my laptop in, it displayed just fine. What would cause this? Sounds like a bad inverter/screen, but it worked fine when my laptop was in. It isnt my GPU since it does this with both IGPU and GPU. Then everything is fine when I plug into my main monitor.

Let me know if you need any other information, and thanks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Unusual laptop screen behavior
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:43:01 »
prolly just incompatibility between the board the your controller..

idk, maybe check for new firmware.. or maybe there's jumper for something.

Offline ranwink

Re: Unusual laptop screen behavior
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:36:23 »
Well the controller board did come from china, but from what I have seen is the board is about the same with different screens. The type of screen will dictate what kind of plug you get from controller board to screen. I just found this odd. I ordered another one from here in the states. The wires in the picture already looks thicker and better color coded.