Author Topic: Community interview with Professor Eiiti Wada, HHKB creator.  (Read 6079 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Community interview with Professor Eiiti Wada, HHKB creator.
« on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 02:19:53 »
Here is the link to the interview!
https://www.massdrop.com/article/eiiti-wada-interview?mode=guest_open

Hey guys,

I am honored to be able to tell you that Professor Eiiti Wada, "Japan's first hacker" and creator of the HHKB has agreed to do a community wide interview!

For more information please see the KeyChatter post here:
https://www.keychatter.com/2015/07/31/the-saddle-of-the-horse-community-interview-with-professor-eiiti-wada-creator-of-the-hhkb/

To go directly to the poll to submit a question/vote go to the Massdrop post here:
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/What-would-you-like-to-ask-Professor-Eiiti-Wada-creator-of-the-HHKB

It is a huge privilege to be able to talk to Professor Eiiti Wada, and all I'd ask is that the conversation stay respectful and relevant.

After the interview happens I will start another thread where I'd like people to post pictures of their HHKB's (if applicable) and leave a comment about why they enjoy the HHKB, and why it is still relevant. I will then send these links to Professor Eiiti Wada as a community "thank you" note. 

You may also state your questions here and I will do all the work of adding and compiling them. Obviously votes can't select the questions exclusively as some will be irrelevant after he begins answering them, so I will ask questions accordingly.

I am also going to ask for a brief history of the HHKB for the duration of his involvement  and for any pictures that he can provide.

Please feel free to further discuss here or PM me if you have any pressing questions.
andy/livingspeedbump
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2016, 14:25:01 by livingspeedbump »
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Community interview with Professor Eiiti Wada, HHKB creator.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 05:43:14 »
Voted - and congratulations on the opportunity to talk to such an influential figure.

He seems to embody the true Japanese spirit and despite the fact that we love our HHKBs (using mine to type this) and constantly applaud the layout and feel, few have probably ever heard of Professor Eiiti Wada.  I know I haven't.

And yet he does not (seem to) seek constant recognition for his work.  Very humble.  Very inspirational.

BTW I love his quote on the KeyChatter page - may I use it in my GH signature please?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline osi

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 06:40:31 »
Cool -  I've submitted my votes! I'd love another chance to praise and laud the HHKB!!

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 06:54:46 »
Thanks for doing this! Voted on the poll!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 08:16:00 »
Ask him if he can adopt me
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 10:51:27 »
Voted - and congratulations on the opportunity to talk to such an influential figure.

He seems to embody the true Japanese spirit and despite the fact that we love our HHKBs (using mine to type this) and constantly applaud the layout and feel, few have probably ever heard of Professor Eiiti Wada.  I know I haven't.

And yet he does not (seem to) seek constant recognition for his work.  Very humble.  Very inspirational.

BTW I love his quote on the KeyChatter page - may I use it in my GH signature please?

From speaking to him some humble seems to be an understatement. He also didn't seem to recognize what a big deal the HHKB still is to the community, or that it is still a very relevant device.

And yes, help yourself to the quote. It is probably one of the most epic keyboard quotes I've ever seen.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 10:52:59 »
Ask him if he can adopt me

This could be hilarious. "Come to find out sir, the top question that was voted on my over 200 community members was "will you adopt me sir?""

:confused:

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:08:05 »
This is awesome.  Amazing gets LSB :3
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:17:15 »
Voted, and it's really surprising to see this happening!

Very exited.  :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:45:30 »
This is awesome.  Amazing gets LSB :3

Thanks! Really surprised/grateful he is doing this for us :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:45:48 »
Voted, and it's really surprising to see this happening!

Very exited.  :)

Thanks!

I'm incredibly stoked as well  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:51:59 »
So..... This is the entrenched Japanese management I've been hearing about..

Holding back TRUE keyboard science for 30 Years....

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 20:07:11 »
This is exciting! I'm not sure how to do this but could the question "Are there any non-HHKB keyboards that you like?" be asked?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 20:28:27 »
This is exciting! I'm not sure how to do this but could the question "Are there any non-HHKB keyboards that you like?" be asked?

Absolutely, I actually love that question! I will add it to the poll for you :) Also, many more than 10 will probably be answered as he will undoubtedly answer more than just 10 as he goes, so I'll get to ask more :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 01:09:35 »
From speaking to him some humble seems to be an understatement. He also didn't seem to recognize what a big deal the HHKB still is to the community, or that it is still a very relevant device.

And yes, help yourself to the quote. It is probably one of the most epic keyboard quotes I've ever seen.

Thank you :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 03:13:22 »
I forgot to put this in the poll but would it be possible to ask him on his thoughts on an aluminum case for the HHKB?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 07:18:59 »

Thank you :D

Dude, you have a bad*** forum signature. niiiceeee  :thumb:

Offline ssdt

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 14:38:00 »
any news on when the interview is being released?

Poker II         HHKB Pro 2

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” - Aristotle

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 01:08:53 »
Hey, is there any time line when this will take place, I'm still quite exited for to see the interview.  ^-^

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:02:40 »
Hey, is there any time line when this will take place, I'm still quite exited for to see the interview.  ^-^

Should be this week!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:57:02 »
I didn't see this until you mentioned it this past weekend.  It looks like polling is closed and the interview will be taking place soon (or already did, from your comments).

A curiosity just occurred to me that I never thought about until now; did he design the white or black HHKB?  Did he intend/prefer for it to be one color rather than the other?  I'm assuming it was originally white, since that's what the older models always are - assuming that's the case, does he have an opinion on the black one?  Maybe someone in the community knows the answer.  :)

Regardless, I will be reading the interview when it publishes.  :thumb:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 13:44:25 »
    I didn't see this until you mentioned it this past weekend.  It looks like polling is closed and the interview will be taking place soon (or already did, from your comments).

A curiosity just occurred to me that I never thought about until now; did he design the white or black HHKB?  Did he intend/prefer for it to be one color rather than the other?  I'm assuming it was originally white, since that's what the older models always are - assuming that's the case, does he have an opinion on the black one?  Maybe someone in the community knows the answer.  :)

Well it wont spoil anything if i answer a few of those questions, as they are documented elsewhere.

Professor Wada only designed the OG HHKB, with some involvement if later releases but not a whole lot. The lite series, along with the Professional series were all done by PFU. You can wait to see some of his personal pics to see if he likes the white or black more ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
    • * Senior Moderator
    « Reply #22 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 14:44:42 »

Well it wont spoil anything if i answer a few of those questions, as they are documented elsewhere.

Professor Wada only designed the OG HHKB, with some involvement if later releases but not a whole lot. The lite series, along with the Professional series were all done by PFU. You can wait to see some of his personal pics to see if he likes the white or black more ;)

Ahhh, I didn't realize his involvement was more or less limited to the original only.  :thumb:  I kind of figured I knew the answer to the question about the colors, but wanted to ask anyway.  :P  And now I know new things!  Well I will patiently await the official release of the interview before asking for more tidbits of info. 

* HoffmanMyster folds his hands in his lap

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
      • KeyChatter
    « Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 13:39:52 »
    Hey Guys, updated the OP with the link to the published interview  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
    • * Erudite Elder
    • Missed another sale.
    « Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 19:07:10 »
    A fantastic read - thanks for posting :)

Offline geniekid

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 13:21:00 »
    Just read the interview.  :thumb:

You know what's interesting?  Given that PFU doesn't target the international market (with respect to the HHKB), Wada using LISP as his primary language is likely the only reason the ANSI-like version of the HHKB even exists.  If the JIS layout had the quote and parentheses keys better placed we might all be using Realforces for our Topre needs. :p

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
      • KeyChatter
    « Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 15:31:55 »
    Just read the interview.  :thumb:

You know what's interesting?  Given that PFU doesn't target the international market (with respect to the HHKB), Wada using LISP as his primary language is likely the only reason the ANSI-like version of the HHKB even exists.  If the JIS layout had the quote and parentheses keys better placed we might all be using Realforces for our Topre needs. :p

Yeah, this is an interesting point. Without that, it probably never would have been in a layout that would appeal to the western world. So glad it did though  :))