Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Zero - $5 computer  (Read 3692 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Raspberry Pi Zero - $5 computer
« on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 13:05:38 »
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

$5 for a similar configuration to the original Pi.

Also apparently being given away with the current Mag Pi (RPi magazine) issue.

How many are you getting?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: Raspberry Pi Zero - $5 computer
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 13:12:47 »
Don't know what I would do with it, but I want one.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 13:23:14 »
I have long dreamed about buying a bunch of small embedded computers and networking them together to build a distributed computing cluster in a rotary configuration, resembling a propeller engine. I don't know why, I just think it's a cool idea.

There's no network port on this thing, but you could use RS-232 via the GPIO pins to network them. My propellerputer might finally be within reach.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 13:58:59 »
Who on GH will be the first to put one of these inside a 60% keyboard? :)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 14:29:39 »
Like just put it inside? I can do that. But if you're talking about hooking it up and making it work it'll probably be hasu.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 15:07:38 »
Yeh, just putting it inside, making it like an Amiga or Atari (and still possible to use as a normal usb keyboard), that was my first thought. A friend of mine has been bugging me to do that with the previous Raspberry PIs. But yeh, you could probably use it as a controller too I'm guessing.. like using the GPIO to hook up the kbd matrix or something.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 15:09:30 »

You could put this inside a 40%!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:13:51 »
The Pi is just a bit underpowered for everything I usually want to do with these things, but I sure like the price. I can see a few uses for it, I can see using three of four of them easy.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:28:33 »
You also have to remember it's not really a $5 computer, at least not in the sense that we normally use the term. Before you can even use it you need an SD card for storage, a power supply, and likely some kind of case or mounting solution. Not to mention a monitor for many applications, a USB network adapter, and in the case of the original Raspberry Pi (and thus probably this one as well) a powered USB hub to provide enough electrical current if you choose a Wi-Fi adapter.

Since this one is powered by micro-USB, you could use the powered hub as the power supply, which cuts costs a bit. But it still ends up costing a lot more than $5.

My boards:
More

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:55:07 »
You also have to remember it's not really a $5 computer, at least not in the sense that we normally use the term. Before you can even use it you need an SD card for storage, a power supply, and likely some kind of case or mounting solution. Not to mention a monitor for many applications, a USB network adapter, and in the case of the original Raspberry Pi (and thus probably this one as well) a powered USB hub to provide enough electrical current if you choose a Wi-Fi adapter.

Since this one is powered by micro-USB, you could use the powered hub as the power supply, which cuts costs a bit. But it still ends up costing a lot more than $5.

I'd be using it for home automation, so it still works out pretty cheap compared to off the shelf solutions... that don't even communicate with each other, and you end up doing a lot of work anyways. So something like the Pi makes a lot of sense. But I don't have a house, so this is all hypothetical until then.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:55:32 »

Once you have a solution worked out for using these things, and provided it doesn't rely on USB peripherals, you just pretty much need the memory card and power.

Some uses I had in mind will need the IP pins attached - so a little soldering is required.

Apart from that it would just be a power issue.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:58:32 »
I like my B+.  It is currently running as a headless torrent box.  Eventually, I plan on putting it in my Vic-20 case with a battery for a complete computer.  However, the Zero seems odd to me.  I'm not sure what I would want to use it for that wouldn't benefit from the bigger better versions.  And for small projects that need a brain, it seems like that is more of a microcontroller job than a complete system.  But, maybe I just haven't heard enough about it to appreciate it.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:59:30 »

I'd be using it for home automation, so it still works out pretty cheap compared to off the shelf solutions... that don't even communicate with each other, and you end up doing a lot of work anyways. So something like the Pi makes a lot of sense. But I don't have a house, so this is all hypothetical until then.

How would you use this for home automation? I've got a Vera Lite Z-Wave controller at home. How would this thing communicate with other devices for automation?

My boards:
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:01:40 »
I like my B+.  It is currently running as a headless torrent box.  Eventually, I plan on putting it in my Vic-20 case with a battery for a complete computer.  However, the Zero seems odd to me.  I'm not sure what I would want to use it for that wouldn't benefit from the bigger better versions.  And for small projects that need a brain, it seems like that is more of a microcontroller job than a complete system.  But, maybe I just haven't heard enough about it to appreciate it.

Price is a significant factor.  $5 is pretty much throw-away.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:05:14 »

Price is a significant factor.  $5 is pretty much throw-away.

Pretty much this. Even if an 8-bit micro would do the job, why bother when I could use a $5 (plus accessories) ARM board that I can program in Python instead?

My boards:
More

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:10:28 »

How would you use this for home automation? I've got a Vera Lite Z-Wave controller at home. How would this thing communicate with other devices for automation?

Oh, there's plenty of uses. Some of the controllers make some of my old ideas obsolete, so to speak. I'm hoping that the Amazon Echo will end up controlling all my devices at some point, but that's for on-demand usage.

But mostly, I'd probably use it for scripting out routines. Or for controlling non-smart devices. There's a bunch of blog entries on the Raspberry site: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/tag/home-automation/

As awesome as my Phillips Hue system is, its frickin' expensive, and frequently, a standard bulb is just better. That's where controlling power for lighting via Pi would be nice, as an example.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:12:04 »
More

Oh, there's plenty of uses. Some of the controllers make some of my old ideas obsolete, so to speak. I'm hoping that the Amazon Echo will end up controlling all my devices at some point, but that's for on-demand usage.

But mostly, I'd probably use it for scripting out routines. Or for controlling non-smart devices. There's a bunch of blog entries on the Raspberry site: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/tag/home-automation/

As awesome as my Phillips Hue system is, its frickin' expensive, and frequently, a standard bulb is just better. That's where controlling power for lighting via Pi would be nice, as an example.

But without wired or wireless networking, you've got to figure out how to make them talk.

My boards:
More

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:16:47 »
This is nice! Pi's are awesome for setting up weird little labor-saving systems around the house.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:21:41 »
More

But without wired or wireless networking, you've got to figure out how to make them talk.

I'm planning on running cat 5/6 to every wall. After that, most everything can be done in Python, or has PHP modules. I built a system all in PHP for my Hue and Nest a couple years ago, ran it off my storage server. Some of it is still active even: when my girl texts, for example, one of my Hue lights flashes. Ideally I'd move all this functionality to something more low powered, like a Pi, so I can put my storage server to sleep at night, or when nobody is home. A lot of the stuff I had running isn't available with any of the canned solutions.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:23:09 »
Here's an interesting comparison of the %4 Pi and the $9 C.H.I.P.: http://makezine.com/2015/11/28/chip-vs-pi-zero/

(GH discussion about the C.H.I.P. here.)

Bottom line: the C.H.I.P. is cheaper to get going (considering cables, power, memory card) but is not available for general purchase yet, and the Pi has a very large established userbase of similar and compatible Pi models, and is available for purchase now (if you can find somewhere that has not sold out).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:56:28 »
guyz..  what's the current most powerful pocketable.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:01:47 »
iPhone 6S Plus.

My boards:
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:34:27 »

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:35:06 »

iPhone 6S Plus.

:))

Yeah stop kidding around, everyone knows its the Gameboy Advance
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:44:27 »

iPhone 6S Plus.

I'm only half joking. I mean, it's hard to consider a device "pocketable" without an integrated display, an input interface of some kind, a battery, and networking.

Now if you mean very small computer, the answer is probably the Intel NUC.

My boards:
More

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 12:41:23 »
Also depends on how big your pockets are...

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 20:01:55 »
Yeh, just putting it inside, making it like an Amiga or Atari (and still possible to use as a normal usb keyboard), that was my first thought. A friend of mine has been bugging me to do that with the previous Raspberry PIs. But yeh, you could probably use it as a controller too I'm guessing.. like using the GPIO to hook up the kbd matrix or something.

Like put the actual pi in a 60 for an emulator? I am building a pintendo as we speak just waiting on some parts to arrive. Getting it into a case would work but would mean you have to haul a keyboard around with it.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 00:55:21 »

Like put the actual pi in a 60 for an emulator? I am building a pintendo as we speak just waiting on some parts to arrive. Getting it into a case would work but would mean you have to haul a keyboard around with it.

I just woke up from dreaming that I was about to make a handheld pi zero based game emulator... got a bit inspired it seems :D

Yeh, there would be no point in putting it inside a keyboard just to put it inside a keyboard of course.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:59:54 »

iPhone 6S Plus.

I'm only half joking. I mean, it's hard to consider a device "pocketable" without an integrated display, an input interface of some kind, a battery, and networking.

Now if you mean very small computer, the answer is probably the Intel NUC.

Is the NUC good at hax0rzing..

I want to control a large led cube...