Author Topic: Big Bad Breakfast Thread  (Read 4275 times)

Offline WidgiePidge

Big Bad Breakfast Thread
« on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 11:39:25 »
We already ate them, and they were delicious.  What I'm talking about is our Big Bad Breakfast. 

When you're starting the day you need some decent fuel.  It doesn't have to be  extravagant, difficult, or expensive, just something that makes the morning better. 

Binge and I would like to invite you to share photos or recipes of your morning creations.  Come on- tell us your secrets!! 

Here's a little exchange - Our Big Bad Breakfast Yo-Flaps.  100 % morning bliss.

Thought you might enjoy all that is left of what we had this morning- the recipe.

Yo- Flaps Yo Yo Yo.

You'll want two separate bowls to start (one for wet, and one for dry ingredients).

In the dry-bowl, add:
1 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
Liberal amount of ground cinnamon.  Start with 2 tsp and add more or less depending on your tastes.
A pinch of salt

In the wet-bowl add:
1 egg
1 tbsp agave liquid sweetner
2 tbsp Brummel and Brown "butter" (vegetable oil spread, made with yogurt)- melted (instructions below)
3/4 cup - 1 cup diluted Chobani 2% coconut Greek Yogurt (dilute with water or Silk Original Coconut Milk).  Dilute to a milk-like consistency.

Set the stove-top on a low-ish temperature, slightly below medium.  Our stove-top goes from 1 to 10 and we usually cook these on a 3.  Since they contain so much moisture you want them to cook for a longer period of time so that they aren't still raw in the middle, when the outside is cooked.  We use a Pampered Chef medium size ceramic coated skillet.

We usually just melt the 2 tbsp butter in the pan that we are going to use.  This takes care of the melting and also coats the pan so that the Flaps don't stick.

OKAY

Scrape the melted butter into the wet bowl immediately after it is done melting.  Use a whisk to blend the wet ingredients together. 

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and again using a whisk, blend them together.  If the mixture seems a bit dry you can add a little extra coconut milk. 

Do not over mix, but make sure that you have eliminated all the lumps of flour in the mixture. 

Final ingredient step- Add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (Rumford, Aluminum-free, double acting) and mix it in. Again, no lumps should be present.  There are usually some small bubbles that start to form after a couple minutes. 

Your pan should be plenty hot by now.  Measure out 1/3 cup of batter and put into the skillet. 

When the Yo-Flap is read to flip the edges (and nearing the center) will be fairly dry and there will be bubbles that have formed in the middle of the cake. 

If you have flipped at the correct time and the heat is at a proper level, the cake will be a rich golden brown color.  It make appear darker than normal pancakes, but it is not burnt. 

Cook the raw side of the cake for at least 1-2 minutes, then it should be ready to plate.  Add your favorite syrup and enjoy. 

An eye for an eye, tell us about the biggest (and/or baddest) part of your breakfast.  We'll try anything once ;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Big Bad Breakfast Thread
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 12:28:24 »
This morning breakfast, it was a hit with everyone.

Cheesy pigs in a blanket.

2 packs of croissant dough separated and halved sprinkled with shredded cheese with cheesy mini sausages rolled up in them.

Baked @ 375 for ~ 12 minutes on foil lined pan, we cooked half of them at a time.

A few select ones had a couple squirts of mustard and two sausages inside.

Pan scrambled eggs.

The eggs were simply cracked into the frying pan which was pre-heated on medium with melted butter once they began to set they were sprinkled with Janes krazy salt and pepper with a pinch of garlic powder then the yolks were busted and everything mixed with a spatula until desired doneness was achieved.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 12:37:56 »

Best breakfast I've had in a while. Went to my favorite Vietnamese spot in Brooklyn. Vietnamese style coffee, banh mi, and Cambodian-style (Hu Tieu Nam Vang) noodles. Crazy delicious.

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 12:59:06 »

not my pic! but I made almost the exact same thing and its super delicious!
https://www.reddit.com/r/food/comments/3ogae2/korean_hashbrown/

I followed this recipe in making the bulgogi beef. I also took half a peeled korean pear (you can use an asian pear idk if there is a difference) and a few large slices from an onion and blended that all together and added that to the mix. I also used some honey (I just poured prob about a tablespoon).
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/100606/beef-bulgogi/

anyways you mix all those ingredients into a bowl and then add the meat and mix all that and let it sit for at least an hour in the fridge or leave overnight for the morning breakfast.

I used precut frozen hashbrowns from some bag. I guess you can get at costco or sams? I didn't even know I had it. But put that on a frying pan separate from the bulgogi (which is also on a larger pan). You might want to add some salt and pepper to the hash browns.

Then you can top the hashbrowns/meat with sriracha and some wasabi mayo. (It just adds a kick). The peppers in the pick are shi****o. I found some at trader joes and tbh I thought they sucked. Like I ate one and it tasted like a green pepper and then I ate another one and my mouth was on fire. So idk man.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 21:50:34 »
AAHH **** my secret pancakes?!  :eek:
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 22:11:09 »
Show Image

not my pic! but I made almost the exact same thing and its super delicious!
https://www.reddit.com/r/food/comments/3ogae2/korean_hashbrown/

I followed this recipe in making the bulgogi beef. I also took half a peeled korean pear (you can use an asian pear idk if there is a difference) and a few large slices from an onion and blended that all together and added that to the mix. I also used some honey (I just poured prob about a tablespoon).
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/100606/beef-bulgogi/

anyways you mix all those ingredients into a bowl and then add the meat and mix all that and let it sit for at least an hour in the fridge or leave overnight for the morning breakfast.

I used precut frozen hashbrowns from some bag. I guess you can get at costco or sams? I didn't even know I had it. But put that on a frying pan separate from the bulgogi (which is also on a larger pan). You might want to add some salt and pepper to the hash browns.

Then you can top the hashbrowns/meat with sriracha and some wasabi mayo. (It just adds a kick). The peppers in the pick are shi****o. I found some at trader joes and tbh I thought they sucked. Like I ate one and it tasted like a green pepper and then I ate another one and my mouth was on fire. So idk man.

Oh my god that looks good

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 22:22:23 »
I have something I want to share here but I have not documented the process before. 

Perhaps I will buy the supplies tomorrow morning and make it.  ^-^

:circle:

SoonTM

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 05:16:56 »
Omg recipes thread
Wait til I get on my laptops, I've so many
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 09:53:55 »
I've many breakfast recipes but for me breakfast has to be light else you'll be sleepy before your first round of coffee at the office

Nothing beats a good egg dish for breakfast, I'll share what I think is my perfect scrambled egg

Per-person:
2-3 eggs
Salt/pepper
1/2 cup of milk
1 tbsp of good butter (the more the better :D )

Method:
1. Crack eggs, put eggs ,butter, milk in a thick pot. It must be thick so it retains their heat during cooking (you'll find out why later)
2. Turn your stove to low, put pot on top and break eggs and swirl with spatula (I find spatula to be the best utensil for this)
3. Keep moving the egg slowly on stove, when you see the egg start to curdle take the pot off the heat and keep swirling it around while scraping the bottom. It's essential you use a pot with thick bottom so it will retain heat when taking it off the pot

The idea is that to keep the heat low and stable. High heat tends to break down the protein resulting in less silky egg

4. When you see the curd slowing down / forming much slower , put it back on stove
5. Repeat
6. Once it's done add salt and pepper to taste.

There are a couple of things you can add as an option while it's still in the pot but off the heat: chopped avocado (I'm a sucker for avocado), smoked salmon cut matchsticks or soft herbs my favourite is chives and parsley. You can also add 1 tsp of sour cream to make it more creamy and tangy OR even a dab of red wine vinegar

Key: Don't add salt in the beginning, salt would make egg less vibrant and turns grey during cooking. Play around with the heat, keep it low, it takes longer but it's worth it

Potato pancake w/ scrambled egg by Hanshen, on Flickr

I usually put it on toast (not buttered since we add a bit of butter in the egg already). Or in this picture I made a potato cake
More to come!
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2015, 09:57:03 by jokrik »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:42:19 »
Here's been the Tp4 breakfast..

Rice from rice-cooker

Vegetable, from boiled water..

Egg, from boiled water..

Been eating this breakfast for 3 months straight..

Probably healthy,  tastes like -nothing-

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 16:31:11 »
I have something I want to share here but I have not documented the process before. 

Perhaps I will buy the supplies tomorrow morning and make it.  ^-^

:circle:

SoonTM

I wanna see some Hoff breakfast

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:36:39 »
I've many breakfast recipes but for me breakfast has to be light else you'll be sleepy before your first round of coffee at the office

Nothing beats a good egg dish for breakfast, I'll share what I think is my perfect scrambled egg

Per-person:
2-3 eggs
Salt/pepper
1/2 cup of milk

Method:
1. Crack eggs, put eggs ,butter, milk in a thick pot. It must be thick so it retains their heat during cooking (you'll find out why later)
2. Turn your stove to low, put pot on top and break eggs and swirl with spatula (I find spatula to be the best utensil for this)
3. Keep moving the egg slowly on stove, when you see the egg start to curdle take the pot off the heat and keep swirling it around while scraping the bottom. It's essential you use a pot with thick bottom so it will retain heat when taking it off the pot

The idea is that to keep the heat low and stable. High heat tends to break down the protein resulting in less silky egg

4. When you see the curd slowing down / forming much slower , put it back on stove
5. Repeat

There are a couple of things you can add as an option while it's still in the pot but off the heat: chopped avocado (I'm a sucker for avocado), smoked salmon cut matchsticks or soft herbs my favourite is chives and parsley. You can also add 1 tsp of sour cream to make it more creamy and tangy OR even a dab of red wine vinegar

Key: Don't add salt in the beginning, salt would make egg less vibrant and turns grey during cooking. Play around with the heat, keep it low, it takes longer but it's worth it

Show Image

I usually put it on toast (not buttered since we add a bit of butter in the egg already). Or in this picture I made a potato cake
More to come!

Thank you thank you thanks!  I want to try this :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:37:48 »
Here's been the Tp4 breakfast..

Rice from rice-cooker

Vegetable, from boiled water..

Egg, from boiled water..

Been eating this breakfast for 3 months straight..

Probably healthy,  tastes like -nothing-

Listen up kids... if you want to be like the great TP
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:44:54 »
-Steel cut oats with ground cinnamon and chia seeds
-3-4 organic prunes
-2 hard boiled egg whites
-Glass of water

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:15:49 »
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. There isnt a single breakfast food I dont enjoy. Breakfast foods for Lunch and Dinner too please. (This does not add to the discussion, but my love for breakfast will not be stifled.)

Also, any type of egg scramble with meats/veggies/cheese + Hot sauce + Tortilla is the best.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 21:07:30 »

Per-person:
2-3 eggs
Salt/pepper
1/2 cup of milk

Method:

5. Repeat

Show Image

More to come!

Thank you thank you thanks!  I want to try this :)
Remember not to overcook it :)  it should drop down from your spoon just like proper risotto or thick tomato soup

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 11:56:10 »
I have a really good quinoa recipe ill try to add later :3

Offline V1ral

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 12:21:51 »
All your breakfasts look so delicious and fancy and complex compared to my breakfasts.  ;w;

When I'm not late for work and my fridge isn't empty, I prefer:
- mashed avocado over toast with salt and pepper
- peanut butter over toasted bagel (sliced bananas optional)
- oatmeal baked with cinnamon, apple sauce, nuts, and dried fruit

If I have time and I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I'll make blueberry Star Wars pancakes, or vegan french toast. But neither of those are my recipes.  u______u

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 12:27:29 »

This has been my breakfast move lately too. I like soy sauce or mustard instead of salt and pepper though :).

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 17:12:07 »

This has been my breakfast move lately too. I like soy sauce or mustard instead of salt and pepper though :).
I'm gonna try it with aged balsamic today :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 17:21:40 »
You cray jokrik. Sounds amazing.

I like congee for breakfast. Put cooked rice in a pot or regular rice in a slowcooker. Cook until it's like a porriege. Add water as needed so it's not too thick. Should be the consistency of pea soup. When it's done, fry up some eggs sunny side up. Make sure you do it in oil so the edges get all crispy. Put the congee in a bowl, drop the egg(s) on top, add soy sauce and pepper/sriracha. Bam.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 18:24:39 »
So another egg story :D

When I started working in the kitchen the way my master tested me was for me to cook egg dishes
this is the first thing I made for him

French Omelette, just made 5 minutes ago

https://www.flickr.com/gp/jokrik/7XLt0B
(somehow image link is broken for this one and picture gets too big)

Inside

More

Omelette by Hanshen, on Flickr

There are many kinds of omelette, American, Asian style, but my love is with the French
I only put sharp cheddar in my omelette, please don't put too much filling in it else it will break; less is more

key point? BUTTER with a touch of oil. Don't put salt in the beginning again, put it in the end before you fold the egg or even after you put it on plate. See my egg is vibrant? that's one reason why

To make it easier

:D
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 18:29:07 by jokrik »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 18:37:51 »
You cray jokrik. Sounds amazing.

I like congee for breakfast. Put cooked rice in a pot or regular rice in a slowcooker. Cook until it's like a porriege. Add water as needed so it's not too thick. Should be the consistency of pea soup. When it's done, fry up some eggs sunny side up. Make sure you do it in oil so the edges get all crispy. Put the congee in a bowl, drop the egg(s) on top, add soy sauce and pepper/sriracha. Bam.

I'm certain the RIce-Stew that all the modern Chinese guyz are eating is their Leading cause of Diabetus..

It's the equivalent of drinking 3 Sodas first thing every morning...

Offline Sniping

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:49:45 »
I usually do oatmeal + brown sugar in the morning. It's a bit plain but it's filling so I really like it. Strava made this article thing called 50 shades of oatmeal, and I guess I would call that the #oatmealgoals article, but my oatmeal is far more basic than that. My big breakfast meals usually consists of getting brunch with friends/family on the weekends, but that technically doesn't count as breakfast sooo :p

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 18:05:43 »
I tend to vary things up with breakfast.  I enjoy making omelettes.  Some fun ones have included mozzarella, prosciutto, and pesto sauce.  That combo also works very well for a quesadilla.

Did some eggs benedict for Mother's Day a couple years back along with red velvet pancakes with mascarpone  sauce and lemon curd for some bought scones and we served tea.  That was fun.

Offline tbc

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 15:44:51 »
119815-0
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 18:56:19 »
(Attachment Link)

Oh man, that looks really good.

* HoffmanMyster salivates

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 06:03:56 »
I need to unwatch this thread - makes me way too hungry

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 07:47:18 »

You will if you still having that weetbix for breakfast
get more eggy ang greasy my friend

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 07:51:42 »

i'm the grease master dude

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 07:55:51 »

I used to have bacon and peanut butter sandwich for breakfast :(
I didn't feel guilty afterward, I feel the guilt now...... and that was like 8 years ago

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 07:57:57 »

I used to have bacon and peanut butter sandwich for breakfast :(
I didn't feel guilty afterward, I feel the guilt now...... and that was like 8 years ago

That is some long offset guilt  :))

not sure if that combo is disgusting or genius

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:00:15 »
Not my personal breakfast, but injected for a note of humor:
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:01:18 »

I still think it's ****ing genius, get a crunchy PB, the creaminess will balance the saltiness of the bacon
Crisp bacon give you texture. Use cheap toast from home brand if you can

I invented it after having weetbix with sultanas for 14 days straight for breakfast, imagine my face

I like the title.....  :eek:

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:02:40 »

I still think it's ****ing genius, get a crunchy PB, the creaminess will balance the saltiness of the bacon
Crisp bacon give you texture. Use cheap toast from home brand if you can

I invented it after having weetbix with sultanas for 14 days straight for breakfast, imagine my face

I like the title.....  :eek:

well your food photos always look so good I'm gonna take your word for it

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:10:55 »
you guyz arn't the least bit worried about heart disease ?

Someone told me it's a big thing in murica.. 

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:16:42 »
you guyz arn't the least bit worried about heart disease ?

Someone told me it's a big thing in murica.. 
Show Image

eh as long as you workout you'll be fine

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 18:30:11 »

Haha, that is awesome.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:25:33 »
Avocado toast for today :)  with creamy scrambled as my recipe above

Hit it with a dash of peppery olive oil and red wine vinegar

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:30:00 »

Show Image

Ah.. delicious heart disease...

Way better than the dumplings I got from this lady down the street

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:39:03 »

Show Image

Dumplings with chilli oil and vinegar is also a winner

Don't you have like soy milk and fried Chinese donut around you? I often have that for breakfast when I live there

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:43:45 »

Show Image

Don't you have like soy milk and fried Chinese donut around you? I often have that for breakfast when I live there

Jokrik, do u work in medicine?

It seems like you're pushing hard to give ol' Tp heart disease so you can sell him ur life saving drugs...

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:00:52 »

Show Image

It seems like you're pushing hard to give ol' Tp heart disease so you can sell him ur life saving drugs...

Show Image

I sell insurance, do you have a moment to discuss our life insurance policy?
It's minimum fee with maximum cover

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:51:21 »

Show Image

Show Image

I sell insurance, do you have a moment to discuss our life insurance policy?
It's minimum fee with maximum cover

Life insurance is a tough sell in CHina..  they don't want to make the sure Bet that they're gonna die.

Crazy asians.