Author Topic: Dialect Discussion  (Read 8553 times)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Dialect Discussion
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 13:44:03 »
US-centric, and somewhat old, but this dialect quiz is great: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

Literally pinpointed the city where my girlfriend grew up, through its dark magic.

For my dialect, it's hard to be impressed.  All I have to do is answer "bubbler" and it's game over.  :P

Is that a water fountain?

Supposedly. I went to a school in Wisconsin and kept correcting all the Wisconsinites. It's "water fountain."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 13:44:25 »
US-centric, and somewhat old, but this dialect quiz is great: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

Literally pinpointed the city where my girlfriend grew up, through its dark magic.

For my dialect, it's hard to be impressed.  All I have to do is answer "bubbler" and it's game over.  :P

No.

It is a brand name for a drinking fountain though.  Much like Kleenex/tissues.

http://whoonew.com/2013/03/why-a-bubbler/

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:10:03 »
Is it Taylor Ham, Canadian Bacon, or Pork Roll?
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:16:58 »
Apparently us Canadian Maritimers have a pretty thick accent. I never noticed until I left for university and people kept pointing it out. It appears that we use a very hard "R" sound for words that contain "AR" so: car, party, hard, bar. Someone likened it to a pirate saying "arrr" sound....lol

But my friends from New York say that I sound like I could be from Queens. I don't know what that means. I've also been told I don't have a traceable dialect, but if you're from around here you'll know immediately.

We are considered the red-necks of Canada. We speak really fast, we say "y'all," we refer to inanimate objects and things like the weather as "she" (i.e. that car, she's a beaut/she's pourin' outside eh?). Copious uses of the word "f.uck" and "buddy." The incorrect use of "right" as intensifiers (i.e. it's right cold outside).

Also in our vocabulary: what are you sayin? (what's up), greasy (sketchy, scummy), darts (cigarettes).

« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:18:32 by mobbo »
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:18:52 »

I like Tailored Pork

Offline E3E

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:19:53 »

Show Image

No.

Does anyone still use "Xerox" to refer to copying? I remember back in the day, a cheat book I had for SNES/N64 games had Sub-Zero's Ice Clone move in MK3 listed as "Ice Xerox," as a kid, I was like "what the hell is a Xerox?" That was partially because I was dumb and seeing that many 'x'es in a single word confused me.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:26:37 »

Even though it's US-centric, it put me in northern Maine, which is the state closest to - and only state adjacent to my province....well done...
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:27:21 »

Show Image

No.

Does anyone still use "Xerox" to refer to copying? I remember back in the day, a cheat book I had for SNES/N64 games had Sub-Zero's Ice Clone move in MK3 listed as "Ice Xerox," as a kid, I was like "what the hell is a Xerox?" That was partially because I was dumb and seeing that many 'x'es in a single word confused me.

A lot of older people here at my office say "Xerox" for copying. And by older I mean people over 50.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:42:05 »

I like Tailored Pork

My co-worker from PA looked at me like I had 12 heads when I said I was going to pick up a taylor ham, egg & cheese sandwich. He told me it's called "Canadian Bacon". I told him he was out of his mind.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 21:03:05 »
A lot of older people here at my office say "Xerox" for copying. And by older I mean people over 50.

I always say Xerox and Kleenex. My grandmother, born in 1893, called all cameras "Kodaks"

My kids think that it's funny that I always call permanent black markers "Magic Markers"
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 21:29:02 »
One of my wife's grandmother's colorful sayings when she got exasperated with someone was, "You make my ass want to go Kodakin'."
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 22:36:42 »

I like Tailored Pork

My co-worker from PA looked at me like I had 12 heads when I said I was going to pick up a taylor ham, egg & cheese sandwich. He told me it's called "Canadian Bacon". I told him he was out of his mind.

Taylor ham?  Bro, do you have 12 heads?

Offline unoab

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:49:53 »
No.

Hate to burst your bubbler Hoff  :p , but if you get part way through their article they link to a new article saying that the original article got debunked and Kohler does not have a patent for the bubbler and that the credited employee they mentioned for creating it never was on payroll at Kohler.  They postulate some more on the origin, was it from a plumbing vocabulary referring to the faucet end, or from an old water jug, but they never really have an answer like in the original article.

Maybe We Were Wrong – A Closer Look at Why We Call it a Bubbler in Wisconsin

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 18:59:33 »
No.

Hate to burst your bubbler Hoff  :p , but if you get part way through their article they link to a new article saying that the original article got debunked and Kohler does not have a patent for the bubbler and that the credited employee they mentioned for creating it never was on payroll at Kohler.  They postulate some more on the origin, was it from a plumbing vocabulary referring to the faucet end, or from an old water jug, but they never really have an answer like in the original article.

Maybe We Were Wrong – A Closer Look at Why We Call it a Bubbler in Wisconsin

Well, I think I know why you're bursting my bubbler...

:))

Anyway, interesting read.  Lack of evidence certainly doesn't disprove the story, but it is an interesting addition.  In my experience, companies do not retain records long enough to have any confidence in finding or not finding things from that era - but I digress.

We will continue to call it a bubbler, and we will continue to be mocked.  I'm okay with that.  :)  At least I'm not from Illinois.  ;)

Offline E3E

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:10:29 »
Speaking of bubbler, who here calls remote controls for TVs "clickers"? :P

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:14:56 »
Speaking of bubbler, who here calls remote controls for TVs "clickers"? :P

Some people around here do...  :|

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:38:24 »
Speaking of bubbler, who here calls remote controls for TVs "clickers"?

My wife does. It drives me nuts. And we both grew up in the same city.

It's a remote control.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:39:57 »
Speaking of bubbler, who here calls remote controls for TVs "clickers"?

My wife does. It drives me nuts. And we both grew up in the same city.

It's a remote control.

As much as I hate the term "clicker", it does make sense.  Remote controls used to operate by sound and the remote would click at a specific frequency to control the TV.  Unless that's just a myth too.  :))

Offline unoab

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 21:20:20 »
Well, I think I know why you're bursting my bubbler...

:))

Anyway, interesting read.  Lack of evidence certainly doesn't disprove the story, but it is an interesting addition.  In my experience, companies do not retain records long enough to have any confidence in finding or not finding things from that era - but I digress.

We will continue to call it a bubbler, and we will continue to be mocked.  I'm okay with that.  :)  At least I'm not from Illinois.  ;)

Ha ha, glad I am not from illinois too ;)  My survey answers placed me around where I grew up in Ohio with our pop and tree lawns.

As much as I hate the term "clicker", it does make sense.  Remote controls used to operate by sound and the remote would click at a specific frequency to control the TV.  Unless that's just a myth too.  :))

I'm on it, ha ha.  But I have heard that before too.

Offline E3E

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 23:32:48 »
How about pecan? We pretty much call them puh-kawns(and quick on the first syllable, no extended pee into can... wait, that sounds funny), which I accept as the only true pronunciation. >:D And I'm an expert. The house I grew up in had pecan trees growing in front of it all over the block! Pecan trees are common here. :)

Here's a pronunciation demo from an expert.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 23:35:20 by E3E »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 00:04:08 »
How about pecan? We pretty much call them puh-kawns(and quick on the first syllable, no extended pee into can... wait, that sounds funny), which I accept as the only true pronunciation. >:D And I'm an expert. The house I grew up in had pecan trees growing in front of it all over the block! Pecan trees are common here. :)

Ha! Some friends and I had a discussion about this last week. I say "pee-kan" when describing the pie, but "peh-kauns" when they're just the nut. I'm the anomaly, however.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:53:11 »

You would think with it being our state tree, that Texans would have this figured out, right? Nope. Half the people I know pronounce it wrong, as pee-can. I always say it like you do.

My parents lived for about 10 years on property that had nine pecan trees. My dad now hardly eats pecan pie at all.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 07:20:17 »
This isn't right because both sides of my family were born and raised in North Carolina, but at least I'm not a Yankee :p.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:19:58 »

I say "pee-kahn".
Not "pee-can" and not "puh-cawwwwwn", cause that just sounds goofy.  :P

And of course after typing that out, now they all sound wrong and I trust no one.  :-X

Offline iri

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 08:32:10 »
it's пекан ladm8s
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 09:28:32 »
pi - KHAN
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 09:33:38 »

I say "pee-kahn".

And of course after typing that out, now they all sound wrong and I trust no one.  :-X

It sounds more like.. Pah-con  to me... from the link..

You surez it's not pah-con ??

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 14:36:28 »

I'm sure that its pah-con
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 14:37:34 »

I say "pee-kahn".

I don't think I've ever heard it said like that
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 15:35:52 »

I've never heard that. It sounds like a myth to me. :) They did used to make a noticeable click but it was just due to the switches they used. I know that some remotes were connected by a wire, and I think everything else was IR. I could be wrong...

In the deep south it was pronounced "pah-con" where I grew up. Yanks say pee-can. ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline E3E

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 15:56:56 »

I say "pee-kahn".

PUH KAAAAAHHHHN

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:32:24 »
Wiki says they did have ultrasonic remotes. Cool, I've only seen noisy wired ones like the one my grandma had. Who knew...?  :-[
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:35:14 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!