Author Topic: Gnarly Nog  (Read 1595 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Gnarly Nog
« on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:16:30 »
How do you nog? There are so many different recipes and variations, I am curious what people put in their eggnog.
One thing I have learned for sure over the years - always get the full-fat nog, because the light eggnog tastes like garbage. Like actual spiced garbage water. So don't skimp on those calories ;)
I have seen people use rum, whiskey, brandy, cognac, scotch, and even vodka(gross?) and a lot of recipes call for two different kinds.
Personally I love a rum+cognac nog(or brandy for you cheap bastards) with some fresh nutmeg ground on top. Served chilled over a couple ice cubes.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Gnarly Nog
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:19:46 »
Rum or whiskey works for me. I also like just plain eggnog without alcohol. I agree though, none of that light garbage.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:19:50 »
Buy eggnog, pour it down the sink, make hot chocolate, Irish the **** out of it.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:20:44 »
I usually end up buying Southern Comfort Nog and liquor, mixing that up. Works for me.

My wifes dad makes some damn good egg nog from scratch but I haven't bothered asking for the recipe.

All I know is I ****ing LOVE eggnog!
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:22:40 »
Buy eggnog, pour it down the sink, make hot chocolate, Irish the **** out of it.

:)) hell yeah, that'll keep you warm too.

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:24:00 »
My all-time favorite noggin' concoction, at first, sounded too sweet and strange considering the juxtaposing flavors, but give it a try. Pour 2-3 ounces of 100-proof Rumple Minze over crushed ice and follow it with 6-8 ounces of your favorite thick n' fatty nog. If your in Oregon look for Eberhard's classic egg nog  :thumb: Honestly this drink tastes like a spiked minty egg nog milkshake if you crush the ice cubes enough. ummm...delicious!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:25:26 »

:)) hell yeah, that'll keep you warm too.

But, seriously, there's a tequila eggnog recipe that sounds interesting.  Then again, I love tequila.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 23:59:13 »
I tried egg nog once..

Threw up.. 

It honestly just tastes like someone made a sweet version of egg-drop soup, and added liquor to it..

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 00:05:05 »
I tried egg nog once..

Threw up.. 

It honestly just tastes like someone made a sweet version of egg-drop soup, and added liquor to it..

We've the same asian palate  :rolleyes:
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 00:11:56 »
I tried egg nog once..

Threw up.. 

dem' whities... crazy with the eggs.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 01:03:12 »
I tried egg nog once..

Threw up.. 

dem' whities... crazy with the eggs.

When I went to Tokyo they put mayonnaise on almost everything. It was so ****ing gross.
To be fair I do not eat seafood, but all the Japanese chicken had mayo on it  :confused:

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 01:17:45 »
I've made a few batches of eggnog this season, including one that's aging until Christmas (bourbon, rum, cognac). Surprisingly easy to make, basically just eggs, cream, milk, sugar, booze. I recommend this recipe for anyone curious – the rum and brandy one.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 09:33:09 »
There are 2 particular things that I first drank with liquor, then later started drinking without. I like the "without" better.

2 examples: egg nog and tonic water. After being lukewarm to alcoholic egg nog, when I drank some really good plain (full fat only!) I realized that the booze just made it taste weird. I'll have mine on the side now.

Although I rarely drink soft drinks any more (to a Southern boy from the 1950s, a soft drink is a "coke" - that "soda pop" stuff must be Yankee dialect) my favorite by far is tonic water (with sugar, the diet stuff does not mate well with quinine). Today, a gin and tonic really just tastes like messed-up tonic water to me.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09