Author Topic: Oculus Rift Now Available for Pre-Order  (Read 8629 times)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Oculus Rift Now Available for Pre-Order
« on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 10:53:07 »
https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/cart/

Not sure how many people on here have followed the Oculus' progress, but it's pretty exciting to see that they're finally ready for CV1.

I won't be pre-ordering myself, but what about you guys, anyone here going to pre-order it?

Offline Connly33

Re: Oculus Rift Now Available for Pre-Order
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 13:49:19 »
I have been following for quite some time, and though i wont be pre ordering either i am also pretty excited. Most of the games i play are simulator type games like euro truck simulator, project cars, and if star citizen ever gets finished.... that as well. So ill deffinitly be thinking seriously about getting one, but after a few bad experiences i generally refuse to do pre order's.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 14:14:47 »
i'd love to rent one,

i forsee taking 4 hours to config it properly for a game and by the time you get to play, your bored.

don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 01:10:35 »
I hadn't planned on getting one, anticipating that the starting price would be much higher than I could justify.

Regrettably I was right.  US$599 works out at about AUD$850.  My PC didn't cost that much.  My PC is also too old, from what I have read, to support the Rift.

The idea is great, but let's let the technology settle down and prices drop first.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 01:55:26 »
Meh, I'll be aiming for the HTC Vive. I heard that it's gonna be about 450$ and it will probably be way more optimized for games.
No I'm not biased at all! It's not that like I like Valve or anything.. :-[
| ISO |

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 01:57:08 »
I tried a friends dev kit over a year ago, back when there was limited software to use with it, and it was amazing. Unfortunately this is too expensive for me, but I am excited for the day when I get a VR kit.

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 02:10:17 »
Pre-ordered. Luckily I got a march shipping date.

I had a feeling it was going to come in around 600 so it wasn't a huge surprise though it did give me pause for a few seconds before I pulled the trigger.
More

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 02:11:38 »
wait it comes with built in headphones?

Offline GuilleAcoustic

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 04:25:56 »
Too expensive and too few games supported. Built-in headphone is a no go for me too as I have severe tinnitus and I'm very picky on headphones. Letys wait for a year or two for the technology to mature and become more affordable ... or just vanish like many niche products.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2016, 04:28:11 by GuilleAcoustic »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 04:30:17 »
I still like the look of the PSVR thing more than occulus, the idea of having set system specs for VR seems far more appealing than just having to invest in some monster rig and hope the drivers are good enough

Offline Connly33

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 05:11:04 »
I still like the look of the PSVR thing more than occulus, the idea of having set system specs for VR seems far more appealing than just having to invest in some monster rig and hope the drivers are good enough

Which is why i think sales wise the PSVR will do better overall, But is why i would rather get a oculus or HTC VR headset, because i dont like being locked into a single experience, I like having a choice in peripherals and performance based on the hardware running them. Though i dont know what they will really be able to do with VR on the PS4, but there will certainly have to be some drastic compromises to get smooth VR from the PS4's hardware, i cant wait to see what games that take advantage of it are like. And i honestly hope it goes well. 

Offline Connly33

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 05:12:29 »
Too expensive and too few games supported. Built-in headphone is a no go for me too as I have severe tinnitus and I'm very picky on headphones. Letys wait for a year or two for the technology to mature and become more affordable ... or just vanish like many niche products.

THe headphones are easily removable luckily, id pair them with a a really good set of headphones that work well with AMD's TrueAudio.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 06:31:52 »
I hadn't planned on getting one, anticipating that the starting price would be much higher than I could justify.

Regrettably I was right.  US$599 works out at about AUD$850.  My PC didn't cost that much.  My PC is also too old, from what I have read, to support the Rift.

The idea is great, but let's let the technology settle down and prices drop first.

its even worse then that bro lol, i got in 6mins after pre-order started, stupid servers wouldn't let me order sooner. they tack on an extra $50 for no reason so its $649 US for Australia, and $132USD for shipping for a total of $781USD works out to be just over 1.1k AU
the icing on the cake is the fact that even getting in 6mins after it started my shipping date was displaying as MAY. oh well at least i have 5 months to save and grovel to my wife.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 06:38:40 »

Which is why i think sales wise the PSVR will do better overall, But is why i would rather get a oculus or HTC VR headset, because i dont like being locked into a single experience, I like having a choice in peripherals and performance based on the hardware running them. Though i dont know what they will really be able to do with VR on the PS4, but there will certainly have to be some drastic compromises to get smooth VR from the PS4's hardware, i cant wait to see what games that take advantage of it are like. And i honestly hope it goes well. 

IDK while the PS4 VR thing will never be able to match anything on the PC if it can put out visuals akin to ps3 with higher resolutions it would be more than good enough for VR experiences IMO.

Also maybe with lower overheads and lower expectations developers will have some of the strain of getting it to look like crysis aswel as being a compelling experience off and they can just focus on gameplay and the visuals kinda are what they are.

tbh I really want to play Project Cars with a VR set and a wheel, from what I've been told the added depth of field and spacial awareness you get means you can drive alot more naturally and easily making you faster which sounds awesome haha

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 22:49:31 »

its even worse then that bro lol, i got in 6mins after pre-order started, stupid servers wouldn't let me order sooner. they tack on an extra $50 for no reason so its $649 US for Australia, and $132USD for shipping for a total of $781USD works out to be just over 1.1k AU
the icing on the cake is the fact that even getting in 6mins after it started my shipping date was displaying as MAY. oh well at least i have 5 months to save and grovel to my wife.

I didn't even bother trying to get that far :))

Good luck with your groveling!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 23:23:32 »
I had planned on getting one when they said "around $350". $599 is more than I want to spend though. I may grab one down the road as more stuff is developed.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 04:52:31 »
You guys would really wear something this heavy on your head on a daily basis. ?

I mean.. I wear glasses.. but only because I have to... and I even find that cumbersome.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 05:05:33 »
You guys would really wear something this heavy on your head on a daily basis. ?

I mean.. I wear glasses.. but only because I have to... and I even find that cumbersome.

It wouldn't be much worse than a heavy pair of headphones.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 05:11:44 »

when it becomes more available, i'd be more than happy to order and direct ship this to you if it saved you 30+ USD

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 05:37:17 »

it's very very different..  the oculus has weight on the front..  even with counter weight,  this thing is not balanced..

and it requires significantly more "snug-fit" to work well..

it would also be very bad for your complexion because of the skin compression..

Headphones,, oh well, skin around your ears..   

but this compresses skin around your nose and eyes,   very key areas towards your "good looks"

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 07:30:36 »

it's very very different..  the oculus has weight on the front..  even with counter weight,  this thing is not balanced..

but this compresses skin around your nose and eyes,   very key areas towards your "good looks"

Yeah, but, it's cool.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:13:44 »
I hope it catches on and its not as slow going to becoming a household standard as things like the Segway.

I think these guys got it right.. this will be how it starts. just like large harddrives and highspeed internet:
http://www.pidjin.net/2014/03/27/early-adopters/
-Dana

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 20:33:14 »
when it becomes more available, i'd be more than happy to order and direct ship this to you if it saved you 30+ USD

I'd have to get a new PC first :))

I can't wear headphones for more than about 10 minutes without my ears hurting.

And my neck hurts less if it is tilted forwards.  Something weighted more at the front would tend to cause my neck to tilt forwards a little more than usual, and hence is likely to be marginally more comfortable than otherwise.