Author Topic: A little talked about perspective on the current lead hysteria  (Read 2871 times)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Several years ago I was certified to do rehab work when lead was present in pre-1978 housing. I chaffed (as I generally do ;)) about the excessive regulations small businesses are drowning in, but at the same time became aware of the importance of preventing lead dust from contaminating the residences I was working in. While not an expert on the subject, I probably know more than the general public about the history of the use of lead, its effects on the human body and the risks of being exposed to high concentrations of it. Because of this, I have been interested in the many recent highly publicized accounts of high lead contents in public water distribution systems. I have not studied or compared the lead levels present in these water supplies nor does it seem to be readily available to the public so I don't know just how bad it really is. One thing I do suspect is that some of the hysteria in some of the municipalities (not Flint), could have been assuaged and the condition put in its proper perspective if officials would have revealed that many of these areas are showing unsafe blood lead levels in children because of recent changes in standards and not recent rises in lead in the environment.

* Lead blood level chart 1965-2005.pdf (56.28 kB - downloaded 133 times.)

The above chart, published in the Southern California Environmental Report Card Spring2009, shows how the average µg/dL of lead in the blood of children in the US in 1975 was around 16 and had dropped to under 3 by the early 90's because of the phasing out of lead from gasoline in the mid 70's. The chart also tracks through the years what was considered a "safe" level of lead in blood. Today, experts don't know what is a safe level or if any amount is safe so they chose an interesting way of establishing an acceptable threshold. Their studies show that 2.5% of the population have lead/blood levels over 5µg/dL so they chose that amount as the unsafe level. As reductions occur over time the threshold will change to continue to show that 2.5% are still at an unsafe level. Based on this method, the problem will never be eradicated and there will always be a crisis to fix.

I am all for protecting our vulnerable children from unnecessary accidental lead poisoning. The stakes are too high for our children's health. All I want to do here is show how special interests, gov't agencies and profiteers can "cook the books" to favor their pet causes and we need to recognize that.

I invite comments, particularly those representing an opposing view to balance my perspective. I'm not for poisoning our children or saying that we don't need regulation. I'm even for incrementally improving these conditions. But any policy changes should be based on good and unbiased analysis which also includes the effect the changes have on other aspects such as economics and society.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 20:08:21 by kurplop »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: A little talked about perspective on the current lead hysteria
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 22:57:50 »

there will always be a crisis to fix.

I thought that was the point all along? ;)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 08:10:14 »
Thanks for the info, Kurplop.

Having a moving target sounds unfair, but in the case of improving living standards it is pretty good. There will always be work for construction workers, and moreover that is honest work aimed at ever better health standards.

Much better than the crap that passes for construction in East Asia.

However in the case of Flint, it does seem that children there are suffering from more health problems.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 19:55:19 »
Here is an example of the kind of "crisis" reporting that has been going on recently.

* Mother Jones Lead report.pdf (294.72 kB - downloaded 96 times.)

Notice the catastrophic tone in the article although the bulk of the evidence is non-authoratative opinion. The one actual scientific test result mentioned in Flint, which on the surface sounds alarming, doesn't hold up to simple arithmetic. It states that out of 3,674 adults texted for lead in blood 44 showed levels greater than 5µG/dL. This works out to roughly 1.2% of the population or less than half the national average of 2.5%. What's more interesting is that 11 of those 3,674 tested 3 times the 5µG/dL standard, which is still less than the average child in America had in his or her blood system in 1975.

Once again, I'm not trying to minimize the dangers of lead exposure, only the dangers of believing every alarmist journalist out there trying to over-sensationalize some rather un-alarming facts.

« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 20:05:41 by kurplop »

Offline kurplop

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 21:08:20 »
What would you suggest we all do to avoid lead.

Thanks for asking. This is really an important question.

The biggest step was when they phased out lead from gasoline in the 70's. Leaded solder was banned in plumbing shortly thereafter. They phased lead out of paint by 1978 in the US, so if you like to chew on painted surfaces, make sure they were painted after then.  :) Seriously, a major risk is the paint dust that forms on old wood window sills from the abrasive action while operating them. Young children, who tend to stick their fingers in their mouths, are at greater risk. If you work around lead, make sure you clean up properly before going home, especially if you have children. If your having your old house worked on make sure you or the contractor observes good lead safe practices. This involves, among other things, isolating the sight, minimize sanding or otherwise disturbing lead surfaces, and a thorough cleaning afterwards.

I learned a lot of good things from the training I received. Unfortunately, in addition to the best practices, there is a mountain of paperwork and documentation required and some of the required steps are probably overkill and only drives up the price for the consumer. The unintended consequences of this is that, after hearing the price, many people with no understanding of proper handling of lead will choose to do the work themselves. This will likely put their families at greater risk than having a professional do an affordable but not fully compliant job.

I've had asbestos training, mold training and now lead training. While I think they all go a bit too far in their fear mongering, if I had to prioritize the risk, I'd say that lead exposure is the most dangerous.

Thanks again for giving me an opportunity to get the word out.

EDIT: Anyone concerned about lead paint in their homes can buy a relatively inexpensive lead test kit $15-$30, or have a professional testing company do a more accurate test ($200-$400).

Houses with copper plumbing built before around 1980(?) probably used lead solder. If your concerned, I'm not, running the water for a minute to flush out old water from your pipes before using for drinking will reduce any lead present from joints and fixtures made with lead.

Lead has a sweet taste. This is why many children are attracted to it.

Make sure chipping, flaking paint is cleaned up and doesn't get near vegetable gardens.

Houses built in the US after 1978 do not have lead paint in them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 21:29:13 by kurplop »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 22:22:41 »
What would you suggest we all do to avoid lead.

I've had asbestos training, mold training and now lead training. While I think they all go a bit too far in their fear mongering, if I had to prioritize the risk, I'd say that lead exposure is the most dangerous.

I to have had training, and worked in facilities with all three issues in the same building.  While they are all a risk, I don't agree with your assessment of risk.

First and foremost, asbestos is the largest risk upon being exposed.  This is mainly due to the fact that it NEVER leaves your system.  Think of it as velcro in your lungs.  Have you ever tried to take remove a velcro strip with just your breath? 

Lead will eventually leave your body given enough time.  Yes it takes years depending on level of exposure, but it does leave.

Mold for the most part is a temp issue, granted it can be very serious and possibly leave permanent damage, but for the most part no.

However, if you have small kids at home, mold gets a higher slot than lead due to exposing kids to this.  When I was working in a power house after the Flood of 2008 in Cedar Rapids, IA, we have every color of the rainbow in paint in the basements.  I worked down there for about 13 months.  During this time, I managed to bring some home at some point and my son ended up getting sick enough he had to be put on steroids for a couple months.  He did get better and is all good now, but it was pretty bad for a while.

This facility also had asbestos pipe insulation, and the entire plant was red lead based paint.  Remember the 3 most common colors of lead based paint are red, yellow, and white. 

I will agree with Kurplop that asbestos, lead, and mold certified contractors are expensive, they are worth every penny when it comes to your families health.  Also would like to point out, the majority of the cost comes from the disposal of the contaminated waste, especially asbestos.

Lead paint you can technically throw in the trash iirc, if you keep it wet when sanding if you have to, it eliminates the risk of airborne particulate.  However, you still have the absorption factor to worry about.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline kurplop

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 23:59:43 »
Melvang- I was thinking about risks for the average person not in a high risk field of work. I don't know of many people who have gotten meso from having asbestos fibers in their home's plaster. Almost all cases arise from prolonged exposure in mines, shipyards, hvac workers, mechanics who work on brakes and other high exposure fields.  Likewise, most people have only limited allergic reactions to most molds and the effects are generally temporary and can be identified and mitigated without irreversible consequences. The funny thing about the mold problem is that we created much of it by building such tight buildings that don't breathe . Moisture gets in but can't escape. Mold is often more of a problem in newer homes where asbestos and lead aren't an issue in newer residential construction.

My sources tell me that lead leaves the bloodstream in 90 days but it collects in joints and organs and stays there forever without intervention. Lead's effects are also quickly apparent but not necessarily quickly identified and difficult to reverse. What is especially bad is that children are more susceptible to it and its effect stay with them for the rest of their lives. As tragic as asbestos related disease is, its symptoms generally don't appear until later in life. By the way, I'm only repeating what I've heard from the so called experts. I can't verify that they are accurate in their assessments.

While I believe that we need to be aware of these dangers, I think we have unnecessarily scared people when, in fact we are generally safer now than in any time in history. We have warning signs on not only gas pumps but Lego boxes and milk cartons. I once showed a customer a warning label on a lavatory faucet  stating that it contained substances known to cause cancer and birth defects. She stopped the job until she could research the claim. After calling several manufacturers she discovered all faucets contain that substance and she didn't really have a "safe" alternative. I fear that we are creating 2 types of people; those who we've scared unnecessarily and those who heard others cry "wolf" so many times  that they disregard all warnings.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 00:13:56 »
Melvang- I was thinking about risks for the average person not in a high risk field of work. I don't know of many people who have gotten meso from having asbestos fibers in their home's plaster. Almost all cases arise from prolonged exposure in mines, shipyards, hvac workers, mechanics who work on brakes and other high exposure fields.  Likewise, most people have only limited allergic reactions to most molds and the effects are generally temporary and can be identified and mitigated without irreversible consequences. The funny thing about the mold problem is that we created much of it by building such tight buildings that don't breathe . Moisture gets in but can't escape. Mold is often more of a problem in newer homes where asbestos and lead aren't an issue in newer residential construction.

My sources tell me that lead leaves the bloodstream in 90 days but it collects in joints and organs and stays there forever without intervention. Lead's effects are also quickly apparent but not necessarily quickly identified and difficult to reverse. What is especially bad is that children are more susceptible to it and its effect stay with them for the rest of their lives. As tragic as asbestos related disease is, its symptoms generally don't appear until later in life. By the way, I'm only repeating what I've heard from the so called experts. I can't verify that they are accurate in their assessments.

While I believe that we need to be aware of these dangers, I think we have unnecessarily scared people when, in fact we are generally safer now than in any time in history. We have warning signs on not only gas pumps but Lego boxes and milk cartons. I once showed a customer a warning label on a lavatory faucet  stating that it contained substances known to cause cancer and birth defects. She stopped the job until she could research the claim. After calling several manufacturers she discovered all faucets contain that substance and she didn't really have a "safe" alternative. I fear that we are creating 2 types of people; those who we've scared unnecessarily and those who heard others cry "wolf" so many times  that they disregard all warnings.

Asbestos not disturbed (non friable) is of zero health risk.  Only when it is disturbed, is it a health risk.  For the most part, the average homeowner will never come into contact with it in a friable condition.

I was referring to risk of health damage upon exposure. 

As far as risk of being exposed, mold far Trump's the other two, lead being next, but that drops dramatically for people living in homes made after the bam of lead paint, 1978 iirc, with asbestos being of little risk of actual exposure.  It was mostly only used as home insulation in the 30s and 40s.  However there are other products where it has been used, but in much lower quantities.  But if not damaged, it is perfectly safe to be around.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline kurplop

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 00:26:19 »
I would say we have a similar understanding about the subject. Thanks for filling in the blanks.