Author Topic: iPhone SE  (Read 10254 times)

Offline Rad

iPhone SE
« on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 04:34:04 »
I currently have an iPhone 6 Plus, but the screen size started irritating me a few months ago. I want to use my smartphone more like a phone again and less like a tablet. Is the iPhone SE worth picking up? Is the iPhone 6s (and 7 if it stays the same size) easy to use in one hand?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: iPhone SE
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 04:36:38 »
just wait till October for the new iphone 7

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:16:15 »
You answered your own question. If size concerns you, SE is the way to go.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:17:36 »

Unless the 7 is another phablet-like device.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:36:51 »

As it looks now, I'll most certainly will be replacing my 5S with the SE. I hate the big size of the iPhone. I want a small phone, not a phablet.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:46:38 »
I certainly think that 6+ is too big but I also think SE is too small. The iPhone 6 size is the sweetspot for me.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:49:33 »

As it looks now, I'll most certainly will be replacing my 5S with the SE. I hate the big size of the iPhone. I want a small phone, not a phablet.

The SE is the same size as the 5S, but has matt bevels and faster inside bits.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:57:38 »

Exactly. So it is an upgraded 5S, which sounds great. I really do not like the direction Apple took the iPhone with the 6/6S.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 06:01:10 »
Blackberry passport or go home

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 06:01:28 »

Exactly. So it is an upgraded 5S, which sounds great. I really do not like the direction Apple took the iPhone with the 6/6S.

AFAIK the main thing it is missing from the larger phones is force touch.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 06:02:07 »

I don't really see the point of force touch anyway. For me it feels more like a gimmick than something useful.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 06:19:03 »

I don't really see the point of force touch anyway. For me it feels more like a gimmick than something useful.

I tap my touch screen like I type on my keyboards - bottom out all the time!

Offline raymogi

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:10:33 »
6S is the perfect size. I bought both the 6 and 6 Plus back when they were first released and sold the Plus soon afterwards. While the prospect of having a bigger screen is nice, it totally kills the one hand usability.

Another thing to mention is how slippery these phones are without a case (I use mine naked). The Plus is just more prone to being dropped so I stayed away from it.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:14:10 »

Do you touch it so hard that your glass breaks? :P

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:15:45 »
6S is the perfect size. I bought both the 6 and 6 Plus back when they were first released and sold the Plus soon afterwards. While the prospect of having a bigger screen is nice, it totally kills the one hand usability.

Another thing to mention is how slippery these phones are without a case (I use mine naked). The Plus is just more prone to being dropped so I stayed away from it.

Yeah I've never dropped my 5S so far, but I have the Apple leather case around it. I would imagine the 6s to be really slippery. It's so thin and rounded... not much to grab onto.

I think they should've made it more like a slab, like the 5S but thinner so there are still some sharp(er) edges to feel in the palm of your hand as some tactile feedback that you're holding it.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:17:48 »
I buy all kinds of cases but always end up either using a super thin ones (0.35mm) or just naked. I do wish they think about the battery of these newer devices though.

I rather have a thicker device with bigger battery. No point going for the thinnest phone but crappy battery life.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:20:19 »
I buy all kinds of cases but always end up either using a super thin ones (0.35mm) or just naked. I do wish they think about the battery of these newer devices though.

I rather have a thicker device with bigger battery. No point going for the thinnest phone but crappy battery life.

some think that phones would be even thinner if it weren't for the 3.5mm audio jack

Offline raymogi

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:21:44 »

some think that phones would be even thinner if it weren't for the 3.5mm audio jack

Which iirc what they're trying to do with the next iPhone?

Whatever happens there's always those thick ass battery cases to satisfy my need for a meaty iPhone :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 22:04:58 »

No, but then I've never broken a keyboard by typing on it either.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 22:08:17 »
I'm really considering this..

But, what's holding me back is how much I h8 phones in the first place..

it's just so... Not Ergodox..

Currently still using an ipho5

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 05:54:45 »

I have. I was once so pissed on my Apple wireless aluminum keyboard, I smashed it so hard that the enter key popped right off and the keyboard was bent.

I also once hit the enter key way to hard on a logitech and that key was dead.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 06:01:34 »

I have. I was once so pissed on my Apple wireless aluminum keyboard, I smashed it so hard that the enter key popped right off and the keyboard was bent.

I also once hit the enter key way to hard on a logitech and that key was dead.

I have punched a Dell keyboard in frustration, which snapped one of the legs off and cracked the case.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 22:23:01 »
I'm thinking about this phone.  After a couple years of Android, I might go back to iOS because it has less bloat.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 23:46:51 »

I'm thinking about this phone.  After a couple years of Android, I might go back to iOS because it has less bloat.
Do it!
It's cheap too.

Offline Rad

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 02:33:22 »
iPhone has "night shift" now aka f.lux. It's a godsend for nighttime. The biggest problem I see with the iPhone SE is that it only goes up to 64GB. Kinda sucks for pictures/videos.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 02:36:39 »
iPhone has "night shift" now aka f.lux. It's a godsend for nighttime. The biggest problem I see with the iPhone SE is that it only goes up to 64GB. Kinda sucks for pictures/videos.
I think 64GB is more than enough for everyone, unless you load HD movies into the phone. I have two young kids so I take a lot of videos and photos using the 6+ 64GB and I have not run out of space after using the phone for a year.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 02:55:39 »
I can only use an iphone  :-[ I did the test drive on the s6 but andriods have the strangest touch screens i can never get use to them.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 02:58:45 »
I can only use an iphone  :-[ I did the test drive on the s6 but andriods have the strangest touch screens i can never get use to them.
I'm too invested in the apps to made any switch. Doesn't make sense, economically  :-X

Offline TimeKeeper27

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 08:27:55 »
Maybe you just need a change like me but then when you actually pull the trigger you light regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:25:02 »
I'm interested to see whether there's going to be a new 4" model in September when the iPhone 7 drops, because after a year and a half on the 6+/6S+, I'm absolutely sick of the huge screen and awkward touch interaction that results.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:36:18 »
I'm interested to see whether there's going to be a new 4" model in September when the iPhone 7 drops, because after a year and a half on the 6+/6S+, I'm absolutely sick of the huge screen and awkward touch interaction that results.

I COULD get adjusted to the 6 but I DON'T WANT TO. Too big.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 03:39:30 »
My last employer gave me a Iphone 6, my first crApple device in ages. Think 4.0 to 4.7 inch is the perfect size and it seems like crApple is the only company making phones under 5 inches :/
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 05:21:52 »
My last employer gave me a Iphone 6, my first crApple device in ages. Think 4.0 to 4.7 inch is the perfect size and it seems like crApple is the only company making phones under 5 inches :/

Do you like the 6?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 05:52:45 »

Just wait until the iPhone SE starts really selling and everyone else will come out with sub-5" models.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:45:07 »

Just wait until the iPhone SE starts really selling and everyone else will come out with sub-5" models.

I anticipate the SE will take a bite out of 6/6s sales coz (a) it's good enough (b) it's a more enjoyable form factor

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 11:49:44 »

Do you like the 6?

Well the battery life and screen are good so yeah kinda, IOS is the most boring POS Ive ever seen. But it makes me less interested in my phone so I guess thats a plus as well
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 17:30:47 »

Do you like the 6?

Well the battery life and screen are good so yeah kinda, IOS is the most boring POS Ive ever seen. But it makes me less interested in my phone so I guess thats a plus as well

What's so boring about it?

I am not particularly fan of iOS but I HATE Android to the gut. I was checking out phones a year ago and already had an iPad for years. So I thought "maybe android" but then I saw the high-end phones also around the same price of an iPhone. So I picked up an iPhone and I immediately thought "this is just an iPad... but smaller. I already know how it works." And bought it.

Offline Rad

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 03:36:38 »
Apple's ecosystem keeps me hanging on. I have a Mac and and iPad, and I love how they all sync up. I think I'm going to wait for the 7. I've heard of iPhone SE display issues.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 04:41:18 »
While i can totally understand the 6 Plus being too big for several people...i often wonder how anyone could consider the baseline 6S too big?  I really wonder how small some peoples hands truly are....i mean the old iPhone screen size felt like typing on a gameboy screen size wise..it's a major reason i moved over to Android for awhile because the usable size of the screen was so constrained it's insane. 

It's all subjective of course i get that...but man i can't imagine going back to a phone that small personally.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 04:44:35 »
While i can totally understand the 6 Plus being too big for several people...i often wonder how anyone could consider the baseline 6S too big?  I really wonder how small some peoples hands truly are....i mean the old iPhone screen size felt like typing on a gameboy screen size wise..it's a major reason i moved over to Android for awhile because the usable size of the screen was so constrained it's insane. 

It's all subjective of course i get that...but man i can't imagine going back to a phone that small personally.

My hands are relatively big, but my thumb is just to small to comfortable reach several areas of the screen.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 14:48:46 »

My hands are relatively big, but my thumb is just to small to comfortable reach several areas of the screen.

On the plus i would get that...but in the normal 6S i fail to see it as a problem for anyone with normal to large size hands.  The smaller SE is so small it's difficult to type with any proficiency on it without using like...pinkie fingers.  YMMV of course but i'd sooner go back to android than use a phone with such a tiny screen.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 15:10:25 »

On the plus i would get that...but in the normal 6S i fail to see it as a problem for anyone with normal to large size hands.  The smaller SE is so small it's difficult to type with any proficiency on it without using like...pinkie fingers.  YMMV of course but i'd sooner go back to android than use a phone with such a tiny screen.

I can see that. Typing is a bit of a hassle on the 5S / SE.

Went to the store today... that pink / rose looks quite nice actually on the SE.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 15:19:47 »

Went to the store today... that pink / rose looks quite nice actually on the SE.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 16:42:31 »

Show Image

Funny... coming from a g[u|a]y wearing pink himself!

Rose is fa-bu-lous!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 21:49:26 »

Show Image

Rose is fa-bu-lous!

Says the guy with the pink star :p

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 18:04:53 »

Show Image

Rose is fa-bu-lous!

Says the guy with the pink star :p

Hahaha at least it's not gold otherwise the term "gold digger" would've meant something completely different :/