Author Topic: Sold a cap, buyer wants partial refund and keep cap  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
Sold a cap, buyer wants partial refund and keep cap
« on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 10:59:07 »
Hey so I sold a cap and the buyer waits nearly a month to request a refund. Not only that he opens a dispute claiming its damaged and wants a partial refund in which he keeps a majority of the money AND keeps my cap. I'm not one for witch hunts but this is clearly a scam or someone trying to screw me over. Any advice?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Sold a cap, buyer wants partial refund and keep cap
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:01:05 »
Hey so I sold a cap and the buyer waits nearly a month to request a refund. Not only that he opens a dispute claiming its damaged and wants a partial refund in which he keeps a majority of the money AND keeps my cap. I'm not one for witch hunts but this is clearly a scam or someone trying to screw me over. Any advice?

Submit all relevant documentation to PayPal. Tell them that the package was delivered over a month ago and that no immediate complaints were made. If you had a timestamp of the cap, send that to PayPal as well. It shows just what the cap looked like before you sent it to the buyer.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:02:34 »
Tell us who it is because that's scammin' shenanigans right thur.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:13:57 »
Good luck, PayPal unfortunately usually sides with buyers, but to me it seems like claim is very unwarranted.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:16:11 »
Good luck, PayPal unfortunately usually sides with buyers, but to me it seems like claim is very unwarranted.

It varies. I've heard both seller and buyer horror stories.

Sounds like a scam, or the guy totally blanked. What's the reason? If s/he didn't contact you until now, PayPal may have reason to side with you.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:19:52 »
Might be worth seeing if PayPal will let you require the buyer to send it back to and receive a full refund if the documentation doesn't work.

More

It varies. I've heard both seller and buyer horror stories

Sounds like a scam, or the guy totally blanked. What's the reason? If s/he didn't contact you until now, PayPal may have reason to side with you.

Could also be some weird protest against aftermarket markup.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:19:58 »
Fisherman has it right. Send all info to paypal, work with them to the best of your ability.

When you make your invoices, do you write out a Terms of Agreement? I always do this with my invoices just to be safe (return policy, and if damaged/dead/broken ON ARRIVAL, PM me on geekhack/wherever I sold the item); have not had an issue but may be something to consider in the future should something need to be looked at via PayPal.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:20:35 »

It varies. I've heard both seller and buyer horror stories.

That's what I was thinking.  If the buyer had brought it up right away or even a week or two after it might be seen as more legit to PayPal, but a month later?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:21:33 »

This.

I have had to deal with this in multiple occasions with my job(s). I was told by Paypal to take time stamped photos of the items I ship out, the packaging and the condition of the item. Doing that on high dollar items has led to paypal siding with us a few times. Also you need to insure the packages and get them signed for.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:28:56 »

This.

I have had to deal with this in multiple occasions with my job(s). I was told by Paypal to take time stamped photos of the items I ship out, the packaging and the condition of the item. Doing that on high dollar items has led to paypal siding with us a few times. Also you need to insure the packages and get them signed for.

this is what I did, sold a keyboard to a Middle East GH'er and took pictures of the keyboard before and after wrapping, including the final package.
Not being paranoid, but as a mean to protect yourself especially to those buyers you never met/ seen before in the forum.

But luckily my case is a good one, no complaints or whatsoever, hope you can get this sorted out ok man.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:40:41 »
Could also be some weird protest against aftermarket markup.

Nothing like a good protest with a side of scamming.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 23:01:47 »
**** no - sales are final. This person is a grade F scammer.

And wants to keep the cap? :))