Author Topic: People who take Handshakes too seriously..  (Read 3942 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
People who take Handshakes too seriously..
« on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 13:20:38 »
What is the point to this mild-violence..

Chillax..

Tp4 does not like to be touched that hard...

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Re: People who take Handshakes too seriously..
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 13:29:26 »
Firm handshakes are off the table, then?  or does 'handshake' mean something different in this case?

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 13:36:34 »
I hate the people who try and break your carpals when they shake your hand. Just be firm without killing my hands, they're pretty important to me.

Offline Darkside

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 13:40:27 »
Firm handshakes are great. Deathgrip hand-crushers are not.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 15:09:39 »
The wet ones are probably the worst though..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 15:30:10 »
If someone does give me a clammy limp handshake where they barely grip my hand and let me do all the work I automatically judge them silently and think about that terrible handshake every time I see them.

Also people who overcompensate and grip with the power of a thousand suns trying to rip your arm off like a gorilla that's sat on a fire ant mound. It sucks, but in all honesty these people are usually my bosses so I do believe there is a direct correlation.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2016, 15:32:06 by noisyturtle »

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 17:33:58 »
If someone does give me a clammy limp handshake where they barely grip my hand and let me do all the work I automatically judge them silently and think about that terrible handshake every time I see them.

Also people who overcompensate and grip with the power of a thousand suns trying to rip your arm off like a gorilla that's sat on a fire ant mound. It sucks, but in all honesty these people are usually my bosses so I do believe there is a direct correlation.

Overpowered handshake = asserting dominance?

but really, limp handshakes are horrible. I don't want to think of your arm as a wet noodle.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 17:41:18 »
Handshakes are important,

I tend to go for the standard handshake but with my other hand over yours,

Don't come at me with that fist bump ****,
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 17:42:27 »
I spit on my hand before I handshake someone.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 17:54:21 »
Once you get it right it's 2nd nature and no one actually cares... My mum made me practice for my first interview loads..

Offline gain

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 17:59:18 »
Firm and short, anything else and I'm going to silently judge you, it's a side effect of having worked in private wealth.

These days I'm not too fond of handshakes, I've heard far too many people take a piss and not wash their hands. Happened the most when I was doing a contract at a bank  :-X

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 18:01:48 »

Great indeed, not sure if you know but that style of handshake asserts your dominance, similarly if you were to tap/pat someone on the back after a handshake ie. You my *****!

Agree with everyone else, limpy wet noodle handshakes get you judged really hard, it's not a strength competition but do put some.effort in. You'd be surprised how much impact a handshake can have :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 18:48:07 »

Sometimes I leave a little Purell in the middle of my palm just to mess with the execs.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 19:33:07 »

Sometimes I leave a little Purell in the middle of my palm just to mess with the execs.

I try to shake hands with everyone in the bathroom after I pee.

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 19:58:25 »
I go for a firm handshake, but I've come to learn over time that the norm in other parts of the world call for a much more delicate handshake and try to adjust accordingly.

Still: "bunch o' fingers" and the "wet noodle" seem to be universally frowned upon :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 20:22:03 »

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 21:29:48 »

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

you okay?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 21:58:30 »
It bugs me those people who hold their hand out to be shaken with their palm facing down.  They are trying to be dominant, so I have to raise my hand up under theirs to shake, and my hand remains underneath and thus subservient.

I am really tempted to either lean forwards as if I'm going to kiss their hand, or just put my hand over the top of theirs.

Unfortunately this mostly occurs at work where I have to be nice to people.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 22:20:04 »

What about the elbow touch? Ever use that one?

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 04:11:57 »
It bugs me those people who hold their hand out to be shaken with their palm facing down.  They are trying to be dominant, so I have to raise my hand up under theirs to shake, and my hand remains underneath and thus subservient.

I am really tempted to either lean forwards as if I'm going to kiss their hand, or just put my hand over the top of theirs.

Just pat them on the shoulder or do a hand over hand, thus asserting dominance, works all the time :)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 04:26:08 »
Firm handshakes are great. Deathgrip hand-crushers are not.
This right here is as truthy as truth gets.

I'm guilty of this too. A limp handshake makes me wonder if they are aware, and if they are, WHY?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 06:05:46 »

Just pat them on the shoulder or do a hand over hand, thus asserting dominance, works all the time :)

Hadn't though about patting them on the shoulder.

Is this instead of, or as well as, a hand-over-hand shake?

Although usually I'm on the opposite side of a large table.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 09:33:42 »
The only thing worse than overly firm handshakes are the "stand your ground" handshakes where the guy is practically pushing you over. Like seriously dude are we gonna get in a wrestling match in the middle of the office?

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 17:19:28 »

Hadn't though about patting them on the shoulder.

Is this instead of, or as well as, a hand-over-hand shake?

Although usually I'm on the opposite side of a large table.

It's certainly a more overt approach, technically it should be the upper back/just behind the should if that makes sense!?

It would be instead of, I rarely do both unless the following occurs:
 -Say goodbye, hand over hand
 -Don't actually part for a while i.e. continue chatting
 -Finally get to leave, tap behind the shoulder/upper back "ok, see you when your older"

The large table does make things hard, I do assume that at least post meeting you or the customer/client may go and hold the door open for the other party, that's your chance!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 18:45:37 »
Over here a few years ago, some Muslim women who made a TV show got into a controversy because they did not want to shake hands with a politician they were going to interview.
And more recently, a politician was forced away from positions by his party because he did not want to shake hands with women because of his religion...

I think... what's the big deal?
A handshake is just a formality. When the swine-flu epidemic was going on, there was a suggestion that people should instead do the non-touching "Namaste" gesture (holding palms together) instead of shaking hands. It didn't take off, but I think it should get more wide acceptance so that people wouldn't have to be offended from not getting their hands shaked.
🍉

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 11:34:32 »
Sometimes I wish I had a rusty grill fork handy for those times I get soggy hands outstretched in a vain attempt at a handshake.

You can really perform a handshake with a limp lifeless hand.

When it's women doing it, i think they might be expecting their hand to be kissed. They can **** right off!

Don't get me started when a guy does it -_-

Oddly enough, when a woman gives me a good handshake (not too hard  but also not phoning it in), it brings a smile to my face...and given the right woman, even slightly arousing  :))

Offline gohono3

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 12:09:08 »
I was at a wedding in Arizona two weeks ago where a bike gang member named "Hazard" had a firm grip of my hand for at least 3 minutes, I told him if he wanted to keep holding hands he would have to take me on a proper date, and we had to be separated  :-X

I think some people take their hand shake game way too seriously
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 May 2016, 12:11:25 by gohono3 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 12:32:37 »
I was at a wedding in Arizona two weeks ago where a bike gang member named "Hazard" had a firm grip of my hand for at least 3 minutes, I told him if he wanted to keep holding hands he would have to take me on a proper date, and we had to be separated  :-X

I think some people take their hand shake game way too seriously

He's probably the guy who invested in one of those hand grip trainer things.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 05:41:08 »
The Japanese have got a good thing going with all that bowing.