Author Topic: Standing Desk, 1 year experience..  (Read 8103 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Standing Desk, 1 year experience..
« on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 21:06:45 »
So.. I put together my standing computer station for approximately 1 year now..

6 to 9 hours standing, Everyday

Pros:

1. No more lower back pain
2. No more sore-Coccyx (tail-bone)
3. Lower abdominal pressure (belt area)
4. Lower internal pressure (chest area)

Cons:

1. Too hot during warm season.
2. Sometimes i get sleepy and fall over..

Adjustment period:

1-month for back-muscles
1.5-2 month for leg-muscles
Alter your workout for less leg, because standing is good engagement.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Standing Desk, 1 year experience..
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 21:20:54 »
I would have thought it would be hard to fall asleep standing up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 21:24:52 »
I would have thought it would be hard to fall asleep standing up.

You'd think that.. hahaha

but after a big lunch.. I'm wobbling from side to side..

Offline gorillionaire

• really gorilly
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 21:44:49 »
so im going to assume your professions involves coding professionally? thats pretty...I just read your typing guide  some of it i don't even understand yet...  so far im struggling to remember all the basic command line stuff, its all so new to me..anyways what made you switch to a standing desk you were having health issues from sitting all the time?

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 21:51:00 »
It's weird because I find myself standing up for 6+ hours very draining. Maybe if I was walking at a slow pace on a treadmill desk would be easier but iunno what it is about my standing posture I get lower back pain after prolonged periods.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 22:04:27 »
It's weird because I find myself standing up for 6+ hours very draining. Maybe if I was walking at a slow pace on a treadmill desk would be easier but iunno what it is about my standing posture I get lower back pain after prolonged periods.

Posture does matter.. but it takes time to acclimate to standing more..

A treadmill would only make it harder to go the full 6 hours, not easier. hahahaha

I think for me, I was not at-terms with just how out of shape I was.. which is why the transition took as long as it did..

If you consider if we were living in the third-world , most of us would be farmers..  No natural human would have such low physical endurance..

This is a case of sedentary sickness.. the plight of our own affluence.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 23:03:44 »
Honestly I should have a standing desk at work as I'm sitting for 8-10 hours a day....that's terribad.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 23:08:33 »
Honestly I should have a standing desk at work as I'm sitting for 8-10 hours a day....that's terribad.

For work, having two stations is good..

Offline rurushu

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 23:23:05 »
do your company allows the use of standing stations?

mine is the oldskool cuble type where everyone is seating in their allocated space... and I am pretty sure my company is not generous enough to spend that money on employee's healthcare....  :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 03:03:30 »

mine is the oldskool cuble type where everyone is seating in their allocated space... and I am pretty sure my company is not generous enough to spend that money on employee's healthcare....  :(

well consider this..

You spend the BEST TIMES of your life @ work..

What difference is there really WHO makes the investment to make that time comfortable..

Yes, it's better if the company did supply it,  but Your expense is LIFE FORCE... you won't get that back, EVER...

Offline rurushu

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 03:08:26 »

well consider this..

What difference is there really WHO makes the investment to make that time comfortable..

Yes, it's better if the company did supply it,  but Your expense is LIFE FORCE... you won't get that back, EVER...

yes I agreed on that, but the problem is my company will be unlikely to approve self-brought standing table...

last time I had a colleague who had neck and back problem and doctor advised him to use a more ergonomic office chair.
He did discussed it with the management mentioning his requirement, but then it was shunned and the management argued that by allowing employees to bring their personal furniture into the workplace might cause rising requests etc. and now... my colleague is now my ex-colleague...  :(

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 03:11:20 »
can you bring mech keyboard to work @rurushu? Would your company argued that?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 03:12:33 »

well consider this..

yes I agreed on that, but the problem is my company will be unlikely to approve self-brought standing table...

last time I had a colleague who had neck and back problem and doctor advised him to use a more ergonomic office chair.
He did discussed it with the management mentioning his requirement, but then it was shunned and the management argued that by allowing employees to bring their personal furniture into the workplace might cause rising requests etc. and now... my colleague is now my ex-colleague...  :(

Well in this case, it would be a slight modification to your existing platform.

You'd screw the work surface higher.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 03:20:33 »

I'll give the fall a 9/10. Deducted 1 point for falling on a couch that was conveniently placed behind you.

Edit - But seriously this is good information. I've been slowly saving for an electrically adjustable table for some time now so that I can try out standing/sitting.
Chris Schammert

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 03:33:07 »
While I am interested to try this out in my work place, and I could do that in the pantry, I am not sure if standing 8 hours a day on a leather shoe will be good for my back. And now, I can't wear snickers or sportswear to my workplace, which sucks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 03:37:27 »

I'll give the fall a 9/10. Deducted 1 point for falling on a couch that was conveniently placed behind you.

Edit - But seriously this is good information. I've been slowly saving for an electrically adjustable table for some time now so that I can try out standing/sitting.

I was looking into an electronically adjustable about 4 months in.

The major issue is , it's SLOWWWWWwww..

Think.. bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 30 seconds later zzzzzzzzzzzzzz just 10 more seconds zzzzzzzzzzzz

What's easier, is to just have 2 computers with files well networked..

So, if you got to sit and take a break, it's there for you..

The cost of an electronic desk is actually ABOUT the cost of a new computer.. hahahaha, so honestly, why bother..

Just get 1 tall desk, and keep ur regular desk..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 03:39:28 »
While I am interested to try this out in my work place, and I could do that in the pantry, I am not sure if standing 8 hours a day on a leather shoe will be good for my back. And now, I can't wear snickers or sportswear to my workplace, which sucks.

well if you have a cubicle.

You could set up a standing section..

and you'd put down a rubber mat there, and take your shoes off for standing.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 03:58:41 »

Think.. bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 30 seconds later zzzzzzzzzzzzzz just 10 more seconds zzzzzzzzzzzz

The cost of an electronic desk is actually ABOUT the cost of a new computer.. hahahaha, so honestly, why bother..

What works in my situation is get a standing desk and a bar stool. Having two desk won't work in my situation due to space limitation.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:01:13 »

Nah, the electric desks are only a fraction of the price for a new GPU imo. I get your point though, but those hand cranked computer tables aren't really my style. I'll keep my options open for sure
Chris Schammert

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:01:43 »
I've been thinking about trying the standing thing, we even have tall desks an work (not possible to try it at home at the moment), which I could use, even permanently. But during the adjusting period, I may want to sit down, and then bringing my stuff back would be a PITA. While I may persuade them to give me two stations, I only have one ErgoDox, and I ain't parting with that.

Nevertheless, it is great to hear standing works for others, and that gives me a little boost to try it myself, somtime.... soon... ish.

Thanks! :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:08:18 »
I've been thinking about trying the standing thing, we even have tall desks an work (not possible to try it at home at the moment), which I could use, even permanently. But during the adjusting period, I may want to sit down, and then bringing my stuff back would be a PITA. While I may persuade them to give me two stations, I only have one ErgoDox, and I ain't parting with that.

Nevertheless, it is great to hear standing works for others, and that gives me a little boost to try it myself, somtime.... soon... ish.

Thanks! :)

Well that's easy..

You get 2 ergodoxes..

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:12:31 »
You get 2 ergodoxes..

Heh, yeah. ENOMONEY. It's easier to convince myself to relocate my stuff once or twice a day than it is to convince my wife that yet another keyboard is required. :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:30:32 »

Nah, the electric desks are only a fraction of the price for a new GPU imo. I get your point though, but those hand cranked computer tables aren't really my style. I'll keep my options open for sure

I'm not saying to get an --adjustable-- desk at all.

You want 2 stations.. 1 sitting station, 1 standing..  They can be right next to each other. Still fits in most cubicles.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:34:33 »

You want 2 stations.. 1 sitting station, 1 standing..  They can be right next to each other. Still fits in most cubicles.

I need an adjustable desk to fit my weirdly sized torso haha. I do need a station for soldering iron, etc. That could work :)
Chris Schammert

Offline rurushu

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:41:52 »

I need an adjustable desk to fit my weirdly sized torso haha. I do need a station for soldering iron, etc. That could work :)
you can solder at your workplace?  :eek:
you work for yourself?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 05:03:58 »

you can solder at your workplace?  :eek:
you work for yourself?

When did I say that I need a standing desk for work? TP you spinster you! I work retail, if I tried to solder something at work they would cart me away to the mental hospital. Then I would make up weird poems for you guys about how my keyboard is a fiat.
Chris Schammert

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 05:07:03 »
I saw a couple of these adjustable height desks at dreamhack.. and they are tempting. But the problem was, the "cheaper" (~500) ones were really wobbly.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 05:24:41 »
I saw a couple of these adjustable height desks at dreamhack.. and they are tempting. But the problem was, the "cheaper" (~500) ones were really wobbly.

IKEA do a good one.

I am very interested in getting one of these although I don't think I could get one at work because I think I would have to actually demonstrate health problems from sitting down for 12 hours a day before they forked out for one. Occupational health/Health and Safety in the Workplace don't cover you really until they see adverse affects of the things you are using right now past the basics of ergonomic chairs and adjustable monitors.

As for home, meh. If I'm on my PC at home I'm gaming and IDK about standing and gaming...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 13:44:28 »

When did I say that I need a standing desk for work? TP you spinster you! I work retail, if I tried to solder something at work they would cart me away to the mental hospital. Then I would make up weird poems for you guys about how my keyboard is a fiat.

Also.. what did you mean by,  --weirdly sized torso-- ,  large vs small,  but what makes weird...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 13:47:00 »

A standing desk shouldn't cost more than $100..

Just get some pipes... and woood..

136839-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 13:51:58 »

As for home, meh. If I'm on my PC at home I'm gaming and IDK about standing and gaming...

For gaming --at home--  it really depends on how much you're on your feet @ work.

There's a minimum and maximum to how much a person should stand each day.

The minimum is established by the necessity to Increase continuous physical workout throughout our sedentary lives..

The maximum is determined by your body's ultimate ability to maintain good health under that /// Practical-amount /// of exertion.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 14:01:14 »

Also.. what did you mean by,  --weirdly sized torso-- ,  large vs small,  but what makes weird...

Curvy, it's mostly curvy but sometimes it is stretched out but when it's stretched out it is mostly taller than normal torsos. So like an S shape unless it is stretched out. Since I'm a guy should I say shapely instead of curvy? I think saying the word curvy might give people the wrong impression. I'm a guy without "improvements" so maybe shapely would fit the description a little better. Manly shapely, so manly. I hope that clears up any confusion regarding your question.

I might build one if I can put together some kind of creative wood sourcing scheme but I think I'll ultimately take the lazy route and buy a desk

Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 14:07:39 »

Curvy, it's mostly curvy but sometimes it is stretched out but when it's stretched out it is mostly taller than normal torsos. So like an S shape unless it is stretched out. Since I'm a guy should I say shapely instead of curvy? I think saying the word curvy might give people the wrong impression. I'm a guy without "improvements" so maybe shapely would fit the description a little better. Manly shapely, so manly. I hope that clears up any confusion regarding your question.

I might build one if I can put together some kind of creative wood sourcing scheme but I think I'll ultimately take the lazy route and buy a desk

You're gonna need to take a foto.. I don't understand how your torso can be S shaped, are you talking about the  s-shape of ones -spine- ? hahhahaahha

Also, the problem with BUYING a standing desk is,  You're gonna spend all that money, then find out that it's not exactlyy right,  and end up spending more money to tweak it anyway..  be it height, tilt, adding a large keyboard tray, etc..

You might as well start from scratch from the beginning..

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 16:50:20 »
Last place I worked someone got a desk you could use both sitting and standing, I asked if I could get one and BAM a week later I had one. Tried standing 4 out of 8 hours and it was great, that and a back roller made a world of difference!

(not me in the pic, would never wear shoes like that)

Also had a nice 20ish min walk to work through some very clean and awesome parks. Made me lose some weight and sorted out my back  :)
Think that if you have a 8 hour office/desk job standing at least part time is key to not screw up your body. Sitting is the new smoking
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 17:03:39 »
Last place I worked someone got a desk you could use both sitting and standing, I asked if I could get one and BAM a week later I had one. Tried standing 4 out of 8 hours and it was great, that and a back roller made a world of difference!

Also had a nice 20ish min walk to work through some very clean and awesome parks. Made me lose some weight and sorted out my back  :)
Think that if you have a 8 hour office/desk job standing at least part time is key to not screw up your body. Sitting is the new smoking

For me it was the Lower back..

I just.. couldn't do it no more..